Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jimmy Butler turns down Chicago Bulls "Hometown Discount" Contract Extension....  (Read 19797 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
I love Jimmy but he can't shoot. I hope JB got his shot in order in the offseason because he's an offensive liability since he can't consistently hit a J. JB can't even be like Bruce Bowen was for the Spurs because BB could hit the 3 with a fair amount of consistency and play lockdown D. I don't doubt JB's work ethic, so over time, he can improve his shot but the Bulls don't need to give him a max deal.

An interesting fact about Bruce Bowen.  Prior to his joining the Spurs, he was part of a trade to Chicago to even out salaries.  As soon as he became a Bull, he was cut.  As his career caught on with the Spurs, I often wondered how he would have done with the Bulls, if the Bulls had only given him a shot.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
Jimmy is 5 years younger and has significantly better stats both on a per game and per minute played basis.  Not sure that comparison holds.

On a per minute basis, they are actually very comparable... look it up
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

Nevada233

• All American

If Jimmy Butler is your best player, you aren't a title contender.

Thisssssss Is true..........

mr.MUskie

• All American
MINNEAPOLIS — Before making his season debut and sinking the winning free throws with 0.2 seconds left, Jimmy Butler noticed a reporter moving a tape recorder closer to his face.

“Yeah, get your mic closer,” Butler said. “People say I’m chasing money when that’s not it. Because I’m going to be in Chicago. I say that with a smile on my face because I know that for a fact. We’ll resume (negotiations) back in July.”

The Friday night deadline for Butler’s rookie contract extension came and went. Butler passed on what sources said was a multiyear deal averaging $11 million. Butler will be a restricted free agent next summer, and general manager Gar Forman said Friday the Bulls are confident they’ll keep him.

“We left off (talks) on great terms — not just good, great,” Butler said. “And our goal is still the same, and that’s to win a championship.

“This is still home. These are still my guys. This is the team I want to be on. This is the city I want to represent.”

esotericmindguy

• All American
MINNEAPOLIS — Before making his season debut and sinking the winning free throws with 0.2 seconds left, Jimmy Butler noticed a reporter moving a tape recorder closer to his face.

“Yeah, get your mic closer,” Butler said. “People say I’m chasing money when that’s not it. Because I’m going to be in Chicago. I say that with a smile on my face because I know that for a fact. We’ll resume (negotiations) back in July.”

The Friday night deadline for Butler’s rookie contract extension came and went. Butler passed on what sources said was a multiyear deal averaging $11 million. Butler will be a restricted free agent next summer, and general manager Gar Forman said Friday the Bulls are confident they’ll keep him.

“We left off (talks) on great terms — not just good, great,” Butler said. “And our goal is still the same, and that’s to win a championship.

“This is still home. These are still my guys. This is the team I want to be on. This is the city I want to represent.”

Good for him, he's worth more than 11M. I've read that he's one of the best perimeter defenders in the league and can score you 15 a night. He's smart, doesn't take bad shots and stays out of trouble. Pay the man.

g0lden3agle

• All American
On a per minute basis, they are actually very comparable... look it up

Jimmy per 36 minutes last year: 12.2 Pts, 4.6 Rebs, 2.4 Ast, 1.8 Stl
Thabo's Career: 8.9, 5.7, 2.3, 1.6

Teams are going to pay for the points vs. giving up that extra rebound per game.

PER: Advantage Jimmy (14.2 vs 10.8 Career numbers)

Win Shares Per 48: Advantage Jimmy (.144 vs .09 Career Numbers)

Once you factor in you can lean on Jimmy to give you 35+ minutes per game the gap grows even larger.  Jimmy's going to get his pay day next season. 

w0bbie

• Starter
Thoughts from Zach Lowe:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nba-contract-extensions-klay-thompson-warriors-jazz-spurs/

"As for the other defense-first wing stud who couldn’t agree on a deal, the Bulls are hoping the same “they’ll match any offer” fear works as a deterrent in Jimmy Butler’s free agency. Butler played most of last season with turf toe, and nearly all of it without Derrick Rose to free him up for easier looks. He’s a ferocious defender at both wing positions, and if he shoots better this season, some team with max-level cap room might be tempted into lavishing a huge offer sheet on Butler.

The Bulls would surely match it, since they’ll have no cap space to replace Butler. They were smart to try to coax Butler into a cheaper team-friendly deal now, holding firm, and banking on Butler’s restricted status to dampen his free-agency market in the summer. Butler was smart to tell Chicago to screw off, and play it out. He could also go the qualifying offer route if Chicago proves intractabull (see what I did there?), but even when teams have a clear edge in the restricted free-agency stalemate, they tend to offer a fair deal in the end. Eric Bledsoe got his five-year, $70 million deal in August after an endless standoff with the Suns; the threat of Bledsoe following the Monroe model might have pushed Phoenix over the edge."

GGGG

• All American
OK that Zach Lowe article makes sense.  So the Bulls don't have a huge incentive to offer a "market" deal right now.  But signing him as a restricted FA doesn't have cap implications.

feedback