Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Impressed with Cohen  (Read 13357 times)

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
Re: Impressed with Cohen
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2014, 10:19:45 PM »
I said already I haven't given up on him.  I sure wish he would give us reason for optimism, unless you get excited about last season's 29% three pt pct.   

Your posts in this thread would suggest otherwise. He shot 29% as a freshman! I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he will improve! maybe you should too  ;)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2014, 10:31:40 PM »
I said already I haven't given up on him.  I sure wish he would give us reason for optimism, unless you get excited about last season's 29% three pt pct.   

He shot 29% in limited minutes, and every time he played he was looking over his shoulder because he knew Buzz was gonna hook him after one misstep.

Let's have some fun ...

Whose freshman stats do you think these are:

34 games -- .428 FG pct -- .208 from 3P -- .667 FT -- 10 assists -- 35 turnovers.

Answer:

Lazar Hayward. What a bust he turned out to be. We should have known it all along based on those stats!

If we're still talking about JJJ having lousy numbers a year from now, you're on to something. It's WAY too early to judge the kid. Sample size is ridiculously small.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2014, 10:38:08 PM »
Diener said JJ has looked very impressive over the past two months.  The team had a full practice today...I think we saw some tired legs out there tonight.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 10:43:06 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2014, 10:39:09 PM »
McNeal shot between 28% & 30% his first three seasons. 40% his senior year. Wes shot 28% his sophomore season and 36% his senior season and now 40% in the NBA. I think he'll be good. He should have played last year but buzz was too stubborn, now have to deal with growing pains this year. He didn't even see the floor in 11 games! Ridiculous considering the bums in front of him.  

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2014, 10:42:54 PM »
JJJ is a streak scorer. Last year he basically did not score in most games, but when he did he went for double figures. Based only on this scrimage Juan Anderson and Cohen should play ahead of JJJ. Based on this scrimage Wally would start, if he was eligible. Wojo will have to do an incredible coaching job with this team to not finish last in the Big East.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2014, 11:14:31 PM »
Based only on this scrimage Juan Anderson and Cohen should play ahead of JJJ. Based on this scrimage Wally would start, if he was eligible. Wojo will have to do an incredible coaching job with this team to not finish last in the Big East.

You raise a very valid point.  History should teach us that these scrimmages are indicative of little.  For example, did anyone on this board see Jimmy F Butler as a future NBA player after watching his initial scrimmage?

That said, we do have some really good athletes on the team.  I thought Luke moved very well for a big man.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

ThatDude

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2014, 11:15:40 PM »
Man, one scrimmage and he's overrated  ::) get a grip.

+1000

JJJ is our 2nd best player, behind Burton

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2014, 11:28:03 PM »
+1000

JJJ is our 2nd best player, behind Burton

Time to get a new, very reliable source

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2014, 11:40:05 PM »
In warm ups before scrimmage, JJJ hit 5 threes in a row.  He needs to calm down during the game. It will come.

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2014, 12:04:02 AM »
He shot 29% in limited minutes, and every time he played he was looking over his shoulder because he knew Buzz was gonna hook him after one misstep.

Let's have some fun ...

Whose freshman stats do you think these are:

34 games -- .428 FG pct -- .208 from 3P -- .667 FT -- 10 assists -- 35 turnovers.

Answer:

Lazar Hayward. What a bust he turned out to be. We should have known it all along based on those stats!

If we're still talking about JJJ having lousy numbers a year from now, you're on to something. It's WAY too early to judge the kid. Sample size is ridiculously small.

Well said,  the guy i will never forget was chris crawford as a freshman, horrible as a freshman traveled every other time got it, bricks, threw it away, etc.  6 years later hes scorng double figures for the atlanta hawks

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2014, 12:10:21 AM »
Johnson is very good.

Cohen is young and not as strong as we need to him to be. Can be an energy guy / all around helper for now.

Johnson can* be a key contributor this year.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2014, 12:20:11 AM »
Johnson is very good.

Cohen is young and not as strong as we need to him to be. Can be an energy guy / all around helper for now.

Johnson can* be a key contributor this year.

If he's "very good" as you say, why do you put an asterisk next to can?

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2014, 01:25:14 AM »
If he's "very good" as you say, why do you put an asterisk next to can?

Why are you so insistent on trying to make projections off a single performance?  I trust someone who knows how JaJuan's been playing in the same types of scenarios in practice.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2014, 08:02:34 AM »
Why are you so insistent on trying to make projections off a single performance?  

Try reading what I've written. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2014, 08:07:06 AM »
Back to Cohen. I watched him in one pro am game and at last night. Right now Juan is better, but Cohen is definately better than what Juan was when Juan was a freshmen.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2014, 08:13:57 AM »
Back to Cohen. I watched him in one pro am game and at last night. Right now Juan is better, but Cohen is definately better than what Juan was when Juan was a freshmen.

Can he knock down shots?  Did he in the pro am?  His game looks really solid otherwise.  His ball handling and passing really impressed me, very smooth and fluid looking, especially for a freshman starting the year. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2014, 11:17:18 PM »
Can he knock down shots?  Did he in the pro am?  His game looks really solid otherwise.  His ball handling and passing really impressed me, very smooth and fluid looking, especially for a freshman starting the year. 
He showed up late for the game I watched and did not get into the game until early in the secound quarter. He missed his first two shots and then finished the quarter with either 16 or 18 points. Several of them were threes.