[Today at 09:38:03 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Hallmarq
[Today at 09:02:39 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 09, 2024, 07:04:21 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by oldwarrior81
[June 09, 2024, 05:24:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I guess Wojo is a "big boy" after all  (Read 2697 times)

MU82

• All American
I guess Wojo is a "big boy" after all
« on: October 09, 2014, 08:07:34 PM »
Remember during the coaching search, when some Scoopers said we had to get a proven head coach to be considered a "big boy school"?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
Re: I guess Wojo is a "big boy" after all
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 09:16:42 PM »
Remember during the coaching search, when some Scoopers said we had to get a proven head coach to be considered a "big boy school"?
i don't remember that
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 10:05:16 PM »
The jury is still out in many ways on Wojo, but in hindsight this thread is good for some chuckles.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=43397.0
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 10:07:15 PM by Pakuni »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 10:26:14 PM »
The jury is still out in many ways on Wojo, but in hindsight this thread is good for some chuckles.

Pakuni serving up the humble pie!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 10:33:31 PM »
Pakuni, that's a great link. Mostly, pretty damn embarrassing how damn certain folks were about something they knew nothing about.

My favorite was this from the always over-the-top hyperventilating PuertoRicanNightmare:

Wojo would be a TERRIBLE choice and, yes, embarrassing. Not for any reason than it shows how little thought was put into this search. First of all, hiring Wojo would immediately eliminate us from all Chicago recruits also being targeted by Chris Collins. Chris Collins knows Chicago, was mr. Basketball in Illinois and is a media darling, due to his success and that of his father.

Wojo is really nobody. Sure, Dick Vitale licked his nut sack as a player, but he's a guy without an ounce of charisma and no name recognition in Illinois or Wisconsin. This guy is a Duke legend. That's it. How the hell we would even consider this guy is mind blowing.

He'd be a step down from Mike Deane. He's not in the same league as even Crean and could carry Buzz Williams' sweat stained sport coat.

Atrocious idea! Worse than anything else I've heard.

TAMU, ever optimistic, came through big-time:

Wojo is one of the top if not the top assistant in the nation. The main is considered a top recruiter and has spent the last 20 years learning from arguably the best coach in the business.

WHY THE HELL ARE WE COMPLAINING?

Seriously, someone explain this to me. Is he some pariah that I am not aware of? Trust me, I would have loved Shaka Smart but he's not walking through that door. I don't see a better option than Wojo.

This is a great hire for Marquette and will raise our program to new heights. I bet he manages to keep all of our players and 3/4 of next year's recruits.

I'm pretty sure after Smart fell through, no hire was going to make this group happy.

Which, naturally, led directly to a classic Chicos counter:

TAMU, my concern is that when you are at DUKE things are just a lot easier.  You select, you don't recruit.  It's a bubble.  He, in particular, has NEVER been outside of that bubble which is concerning.

Now, someone can say UCLA is like that as well.  To a large extent they are correct, though Howland proved it at Pitt and Northern Arizona as well.  I'm not saying Howland is the guy, but if I had the choice between the two it would be Howland. 

Wojo loses recruits to Kentucky, UNC, UCLA, Louisville.  How frustrated is he going to be when he loses recruits to Iowa State, Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, St. John's, etc? 

I worry that he's been in that bubble way too long.

Fun stuff!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 10:39:19 PM »
POLISH POWER!!!

"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 11:41:19 PM »

Totally admit I didn't want Wojo. Then he was hired and I begrudgingly gave the admin the benefit of the doubt. Then he retained several key players, said some great things about MU's program, made some inroads recruiting, and ultimately pulled off the until-recently-unthinkable today. I'm in his corner 100% after this. Goddamn it feels great to be wrong on a day like today!