Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU is a program, not a coach  (Read 4498 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
MU is a program, not a coach
« on: October 09, 2014, 10:51:43 AM »
In the last six years we have changed coaches twice. 

The first change Buzz produced improved results on the court (better than the previous coach)

Buzz problem was recruiting and before Wojo coaches his first game he produces one of the best recruiting classes in MU history.

For now (this could change if Wojo cannot coach) we seem to get better and better with every coaching change.

Why?  Because MU is no a school living off a coach's reputation (see Ray Meyer at DePaul, or Lou C at StJ, Booby K at Texas Tech) but a program.  The school/program is larger than any one person.

iammartino

• Walk-On
Re: MU is a program, not a coach
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 10:59:33 AM »
And we have to acknowledge that it seems that Wojo 'gets' that and will use all of the resources/history has to offer. Tie it all together and you've got great things on and off the court.

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
  • Lets Go Warriors(clap clap clap clap clap)...
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 11:00:45 AM »

The first change Buzz produced improved results on the court (better than the previous coach)

Buzz problem was recruiting and before Wojo coaches his first game he produces one of the best recruiting classes in MU history.

For now (this could change if Wojo cannot coach) we seem to get better and better with every coaching change.

Why?  Because MU is no a school living off a coach's reputation (see Ray Meyer at DePaul, or Lou C at StJ, Booby K at Texas Tech) but a program.  The school/program is larger than any one person.

Lets not forget to add UW-Wisconsin to your list.  :o
Warrior As defined by Webster's:
A person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 11:01:31 AM »
Yep.
I remember during the "Buzz to SMU" madness a few years back several posters were 100 percent convinced MU would face a steep decline if/when Brent departed.
Obviously games remain to be played and one recruiting class is just one recruiting class, but everything we've seen during the past six months screams that MU is going to be just fine.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 11:02:37 AM »

Why?  Because MU is no a school living off a coach's reputation (see Ray Meyer at DePaul, or Lou C at StJ, Booby K at Texas Tech) but a program.  The school/program is larger than any one person.

How was buzzs problem recruiting? Remember he signed top 100 guys like maymonn, williams, cadougan, j wilson, vander, jones, STj, burton, du wilson, JJJ, Cohen, hill and nick N. (Anderson kinda counts)

I agree with your sentiment overall but buzzs problem was not recruiting it was maintaining his recruits and developing their skills.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 06:54:03 PM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 11:04:37 AM »
How was buzzs problem recruiting? Remember he signed top 100 guys like maymonn, williams, cadougan, j wilson, vander, jones, STj, burton, du wilson, JJJ, Cohen, hill and nick N.

Buzz brought in what many people thought was a top 10 class in 2013.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 11:10:49 AM »
Obviously games remain to be played.

This is a very large point.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 11:19:35 AM »
Yeahhh .. Buzz had a real problem with his Sweet 16s and Elite Eight.    Chalk those up to his poor recruiting, coaching, or ability to grow players.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 12:05:12 PM »
MU IS a brand.   Wojo HAS landed a great class.   Those are the only things we know for sure going forward.    Things we don't know:  Can he game coach?   Can he follow up one class with another?    How long does he stay?    I am thrilled with this class.    Who wouldn't be?   But I really want to see a game before he becomes Saint Wojo, and not Coach Wojo. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 12:06:37 PM »
MU IS a brand.   Wojo HAS landed a great class.   Those are the only things we know for sure going forward.    Things we don't know:  Can he game coach?   Can he follow up one class with another?    How long does he stay?    I am thrilled with this class.    Who wouldn't be?   But I really want to see a game before he becomes Saint Wojo, and not Coach Wojo. 

I'll wait for a final four (not followed by nits) before calling him saint wojo
Maigh Eo for Sam

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 12:22:17 PM »
Yep.
I remember during the "Buzz to SMU" madness a few years back several posters were 100 percent convinced MU would face a steep decline if/when Brent departed.
Obviously games remain to be played and one recruiting class is just one recruiting class, but everything we've seen during the past six months screams that MU is going to be just fine.

I was one of those guys. I was a student when Marquette became an elite, top 5 program. What followed was 31 years of mixed results. Some success under KO and TC but nothing approaching elite status. It looked like Buzz could take us there and I thought losing him would be a serious setback. This class has me rethinking that position - and I've never been happier to be wrong.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 03:49:49 PM »

Correct ... We don't know what the future will bring but from the Day Wojo was hired until know it is very hard to complain.

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 05:20:52 PM »
Yep.

I think the only people that truly feel that way are the recent grads who dont have the true perspective and thechcken littles.
I have been a fan since Al and have learned thst apart from Dukiet and Deane a little its pretty hard to F up what MU brings to tha table

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 05:23:32 PM »
I think the only people that truly feel that way are the recent grads who dont have the true perspective and thechcken littles.
I have been a fan since Al and have learned thst apart from Dukiet and Deane a little its pretty hard to F up what MU brings to tha table

Right...and even Deane had his successes.  (Which probably proves your point more than anything.)

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 05:33:09 PM »
I know it's tough for some people here, but try to allow yourselves to enjoy the moment.

MU doesn't reel in top five recruits everyday. Savor this.

ThatDude

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 06:16:56 PM »

+10000

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2014, 06:23:07 PM »
You need better sources. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2014, 06:51:29 PM »
How was buzzs problem recruiting? Remember he signed top 100 guys like maymonn, williams, cadougan, j wilson, vander, jones, STj, burton, du wilson, JJJ, Cohen, hill and nick N.

I agree with your sentiment overall but buzzs problem was not recruiting it was maintaining his recruits and developing their skills.
You are right. Buzz's problem was not recruiting. Buzz's problem is Buzz.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2014, 08:15:36 PM »

It seem obvious that to be successful that both need each other!!
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Goose

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 08:19:15 PM »
You need a top level coach. Look at Michigan football as an example. The coach is reflection of the program and the brass did well again.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2014, 09:26:01 PM »
Correct ... We don't know what the future will bring but from the Day Wojo was hired until know it is very hard to complain.

Agree