'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I wish the Big East hadn't collapsed  (Read 20356 times)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
I wish the Big East hadn't collapsed
« on: September 05, 2014, 09:34:50 PM »
The new big east is a shadow of the old conference. It may end up being good, but I doubt we'll ever be as elite as the old BEast was.

I feel that our fan base has a delusional sense of grandeur. We are in a better conference than our CUSA days, but the current conference is pretty weak. There is some upside, but it's limited compared to the conference that we came into in 05-06.

There. It needed to be said.

As an aside, this Oktoberfest tasting menu is great!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: I wish the Big East hadn't collapsed
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 09:42:37 PM »
The new big east is a shadow of the old conference. It may end up being good, but I doubt we'll ever be as elite as the old BEast was.

I feel that our fan base has a delusional sense of grandeur. We are in a better conference than our CUSA days, but the current conference is pretty weak. There is some upside, but it's limited compared to the conference that we came into in 05-06.

I wish Al McGuire was still coaching and it was 1977 again

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 09:46:04 PM »

Uhhhhh..... No, it didn't.

EnderWiggen

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 09:49:30 PM »

MtAiryGoldenEagle

• Scholarship Player
    • MU Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 09:49:46 PM »

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 09:51:26 PM »
Idk about collapse,we need other teams beside nva gt to step up big time.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 09:56:57 PM »

I really like our new conference. It is focused and has a commonality of purpose. It will keep improving and with the double round robin rivalries will become very intense. If we can go 12-6  or better consistently in conference play our future and the conferences will be bright. Remember there are 6 schools who are truly committed as universitys to being a success in our conference. Us, Georgetown, Villanova, Butler, Creighton and Xavier. St. Johns and Providence are moving in that direction. That is a decent base. In basketball you only need to recruit 4 good players a year. The schools in our conference all have enough juice to do that. Give it a few years to jell.

MtAiryGoldenEagle

• Scholarship Player
    • MU Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 10:35:58 PM »
Fortunately, high school kids aren't shying away from committing to our basketball centric conference.

The Big East schools are doing fine recruiting

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=Big-East

http://247sports.com/Season/2014-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=Big-East

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 10:50:07 PM »
Well the big east in 2013-14 wasnt the big east in 2005 that is for sure.  However, in 1979 the big east wasnt a bunch of world beaters either.  But a single minded purposeness of excellent basketball was the commonality of the teams, and in short order teams elevated their programs.  Teams such as st johns , uconn, gergetown , setonhall , villanova, etc were soon doing better than they had ever done.  I see no reason why this conference cannot climb that same ladder. Again

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 11:55:49 PM »

Brent, is that you?
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

source?

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 12:03:40 AM »
It's the best we could do given the circumstances. We are in a conference that will be top 5 every year, maybe better. We are among like-minded institutions. We are recruiting at a high level. We have a strong tv contract that pays better than our old one, and better than the AAC gets for both football and basketball. I feel like this has already been hashed out

MU Buff

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 04:22:27 AM »
It's obviously not what it was when we were first invited but I can guarantee the Big East will stay in the top echelon of basketball conferences for the foreseeable future. The Big East spends way too much money not to, with Marquette leading the way. I'm not worried.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 06:10:20 AM »
F*ckin' wishes his junk was bigger.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 08:24:06 AM »
Brent Hillbilly, is that you?

+1000 with amendments.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 08:57:49 AM »
Strong, passionate fan bases (at all but I'd say two schools)
Commitment and investment in men's basketball (all these schools know what their overwhelming revenue driver is)
Strong tradition of winning at very high levels (even DePaul once upon a time)
Big television markets with major exposure in the critical east coast TV markets
Major TV deal locked up for years.
All the schools committed to a common goal- elite men's basketball, no visions of grandeur on the football field.

I think the only thing the conference is missing right now is the natural rivalries, that's going to need time to evolve and develop.  Otherwise this conference wants for nothing.

Their is no reason this shouldn't annually be a top 3-5 conference.  In a down year the conference RPI last year was 4 in most of the major rating indexes, ahead of ACC, A-10, and SEC.

Every objective measure points to this being a very strong conference for years to come.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 09:20:11 AM »
Strong, passionate fan bases (at all but I'd say two schools)
Commitment and investment in men's basketball (all these schools know what their overwhelming revenue driver is)
Strong tradition of winning at very high levels (even DePaul once upon a time)
Big television markets with major exposure in the critical east coast TV markets
Major TV deal locked up for years.
All the schools committed to a common goal- elite men's basketball, no visions of grandeur on the football field.

I think the only thing the conference is missing right now is the natural rivalries, that's going to need time to evolve and develop.  Otherwise this conference wants for nothing.

Their is no reason this shouldn't annually be a top 3-5 conference.  In a down year the conference RPI last year was 4 in most of the major rating indexes, ahead of ACC, A-10, and SEC.

Every objective measure points to this being a very strong conference for years to come.

Don't forget the Dave Gavitt Tip Off with the B1G starting in 2015.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 09:23:23 AM »
Don't forget the Dave Gavitt Tip Off with the B1G starting in 2015.

Absolutely, that was a coup for the conference.  Need to play the best from other leagues in non-conference, the more major exposure in events like this, all the better.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2014, 09:29:29 AM »

I bet there were some crying when VT, BC, Florida St and Miami left and brought in Depaul, Marquette, Cincinnati and Louisville. wha wha wha

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2014, 09:34:10 AM »
I bet there were some crying when VT, BC, Florida St and Miami left and brought in Depaul, Marquette, Cincinnati and Louisville. wha wha wha

I'm sure there was plenty of crying, but not about BE basketball at the time, but BE football.  All of those programs hang their hats on football over basketball.  And BE football never recovered from those losses.  Florida St. was not part of the departures that brought in MU, Louisville, etc.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 10:16:40 AM by HutchwasClutch »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2014, 10:00:33 AM »
The Big East will be fine. The old BE from 07-13 was the best conference ever assembled. People have to remember that.

As others have said, a top 5 conference year in and year is nothing to sneeze at.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2014, 10:04:51 AM »
Stability of the conference is paramount.  It is so nice not having to be distracted about what conference is talking to what school in regards to leaving.

dbwarriors

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2014, 10:15:01 AM »

Florida State was never in the Big East.

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2014, 10:55:51 AM »
Stability of the conference is paramount.  It is so nice not having to be distracted about what conference is talking to what school in regards to leaving.

I agree with this and i think more value needs to be given to this by some people.  The almost daily angst of conference turmoil was exasperating to the member institutions and at least this alum.
Between the conference turmoils since the late 80's and the coaching revolving door since the early 80's, its about enuff to wear a fan out.  Always expecting the next shoe to drop.  Has there been a spring/summer in the last 30-40 years where MU fans werent concerened about the coaching or conference situation or both?
I, for one, am content that the conference piece is settled and i believe going forward our conference situation will in no way inhibit our ability to compete at the highest level.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2014, 10:59:38 AM »
To Skat's defense, he merely said he misses the old Big East.

And yeah it isn't hard to miss that conference that Marquette was lucky to be a part of for even a short while.  But I don't think he would disagree with much of what has been said here.  The new Big East is the best option that Marquette had available.  And it is a very good option - the best college basketball conference that doesn't play football.  And it's not as those the "doesn't play football" option means a wide gulf between them and the "Power 5."  Furthermore, MU is making more money now from its conference affiliation than ever before.

The conference will continue to grow and develop.  Marquette will be just fine.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2014, 01:28:01 PM »
The current Big East will never be as elite as the old Big East was. At least, not in the forseeable future. But, Marquette is in a better situation now then they were in the old Big East.

The schism was a win for us.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2014, 01:32:03 PM »
The Old Big East (whether you think of the post-2005 version, or the pre-2005 version) was a conference that was just not suited to last.  You can't have a large contingent of pro-football schools merged with non-football (or pro-basketball schools) and expect to survive.  No other conference operated that way.  

The way I view it, would you rather be associated with East Carolina, Tulane, Tulsa, UCF and Houston or Georgetown, Villanova, and St. Johns?  It's a no brainer for me - and it was a no brainer for the C7 Presidents (the reason why the blocked ECU numerous times over the years from being admitted as a member).  

Do you think UCONN is excited about having to travel to Texas, Oklahoma and Florida in football?  Over New York, Illinois and Washington D.C.?  I know they won last year, but they have essentially traded the Big East (both pre-2013 and post-2013) for a version of Conference USA 2.0 (or 3.0 - depending on how you view the conference).  

It's the best for both sides.  I hold no grudges.  

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2014, 01:37:37 PM »
The Old Big East (whether you think of the post-2005 version, or the pre-2005 version) was a conference that was just not suited to last.  You can't have a large contingent of pro-football schools merged with non-football (or pro-basketball schools) and expect to survive.  No other conference operated that way.  

The way I view it, would you rather be associated with East Carolina, Tulane, Tulsa, UCF and Houston or Georgetown, Villanova, and St. Johns?  It's a no brainer for me - and it was a no brainer for the C7 Presidents (the reason why the blocked ECU numerous times over the years from being admitted as a member).  

Do you think UCONN is excited about having to travel to Texas, Oklahoma and Florida in football?  Over New York, Illinois and Washington D.C.?  I know they won last year, but they have essentially traded the Big East (both pre-2013 and post-2013) for a version of Conference USA 2.0 (or 3.0 - depending on how you view the conference).  

It's the best for both sides.  I hold no grudges.  

I would really love to add Cincinnati and UConn, adding two premier programs, and bringing the conference to 12 schools.  And I think if the BE pursued them, we'd have a good change at getting them both.  The problem is you just couldn't trust them to not be ready to jump to the Big 10, ACC, BIg 12, if one of those conferences would ever invite them (which is debatable if they ever would be invited to any of those).   So I don't think it would ever work or be the right move long term, but those two would help raise the profile significantly and immediately.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2014, 05:53:06 PM »
Has anyone looked at the American's scores today?

Tulsa loses 52-7 to Oklahoma.  SMU loses 43-6 to North Texas.  Temple loses to Navy.  Tulane is losing to Georgia Tech.  USF is losing to Maryland.  Their only win today (thus far) is UCONN over Stony Brook.  STONY BROOK!

If you're going to associate yourself with football schools, at least make sure you associate yourself with DECENT football schools.   ;D

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2014, 05:58:27 PM »
I would really love to add Cincinnati and UConn, adding two premier programs, and bringing the conference to 12 schools.  And I think if the BE pursued them, we'd have a good change at getting them both.  The problem is you just couldn't trust them to not be ready to jump to the Big 10, ACC, BIg 12, if one of those conferences would ever invite them (which is debatable if they ever would be invited to any of those).   So I don't think it would ever work or be the right move long term, but those two would help raise the profile significantly and immediately.
Id love this to happen,however can UCONN and Cinncy play Big east ball and play football elsewhere, how would that work. As far as Uconn Cincy getting invited to P5 schools......never gonna happen.

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2014, 07:59:10 PM »

100% agree i cant understand why we would not offer it.  Sure they would always be looking to move, who cares it mutually benificial to both while it lasts. 
My guess is the BE presidents dont want the illusion of instability but i dont see it that way, as everyone knows the deal going in.  Possibly a bigger hurdle is where do those teams house their football?  No way in heck does the aac allow them to pull their bball teams and keep their fball teams in the aac. 

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2014, 08:13:11 PM »
100% agree i cant understand why we would not offer it.  Sure they would always be looking to move, who cares it mutually benificial to both while it lasts. 
My guess is the BE presidents dont want the illusion of instability but i dont see it that way, as everyone knows the deal going in.  Possibly a bigger hurdle is where do those teams house their football?  No way in heck does the aac allow them to pull their bball teams and keep their fball teams in the aac. 
That seems to be the only problem. Any possibilities to just move bball. Please big east prez make it happen!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2014, 08:23:46 PM »
The BE isn't interested in UC and UConn and the feeling is mutual.  Not going to happen.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2014, 08:44:51 PM »
Not to burst our BE bubble but the AAC isn't terrible guys.  I mean UConn, Cincy, Memphis, Temple and SMU's been doing good since Larry brown I mean it's a huge drop off to the rest but it's still good at the top.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2014, 09:34:56 PM »
The way I view it, would you rather be associated with East Carolina, Tulane, Tulsa, UCF and Houston or Georgetown, Villanova, and St. Johns?

Except that was never the tradeoff.  It was never a consideration to be in a conference without Georgetown, Villanova and St. Johns.

The tradeoff was wether we (plus Georgetown, Villanova and St. Johns) would be with UConn, Memphis, Cincy, and Temple (plus SMU, Tulane, UCF, and Houston), or be associated with Butler, Xavier and Creighton (and probably SLU and Dayton eventually).

Plus, ECU was a football only member.  They were only admitted for basketball after the C7 left.  Tulsa wasn't added until after the C7 left.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2014, 10:55:29 PM »
Except that was never the tradeoff.  It was never a consideration to be in a conference without Georgetown, Villanova and St. Johns.

The tradeoff was wether we (plus Georgetown, Villanova and St. Johns) would be with UConn, Memphis, Cincy, and Temple (plus SMU, Tulane, UCF, and Houston), or be associated with Butler, Xavier and Creighton (and probably SLU and Dayton eventually).

Plus, ECU was a football only member.  They were only admitted for basketball after the C7 left.  Tulsa wasn't added until after the C7 left.

Rather be with cinncy uconn Memphis smu

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2014, 01:09:57 AM »
Not to burst our BE bubble but the AAC isn't terrible guys.  I mean UConn, Cincy, Memphis, Temple and SMU's been doing good since Larry brown I mean it's a huge drop off to the rest but it's still good at the top.

Except....in 2015 the American reeled in a grand total of 3 top 100 recruits, one of which was #100. They got outrecruited by the likes of the Atlantic 10, Mountain West, and West Coast Conference. The conference is dragging down recruiting. The American will be the east "coast" version of the WCC in a few years, with UCONN/Memphis/Cincy playing the role of Gonzaga/BYU/St. Mary's...that's assuming that UConn/Cincy don't get poached for one of the power 5 conferences.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2014, 06:14:02 AM »
To Skat's defense, he merely said he misses the old Big East.

If that's what he was trying to say, nobody would take issue. But what he actually said was this:
our fan base has a delusional sense of grandeur.
and
the current conference is pretty weak.

Those are the parts I'd take issue with. Nobody thinks the current conference is as good as a few years ago. Most people saw the writing on the wall a long time ago and knew the break up would happen eventually. I think the outcome was about as good as we could have expected. But people are happy we are better off than we were in CUSA and we are now stable, and see the potential in a bball only conference. I guess I don't know which part of that he thinks is delusional.

As for it being pretty weak, it is weak compared to the old Big East and I think it had a down year last year, but it should be Top 5 year in and year out, and is more balanced than previous conferences. Maybe that's all he meant, but "pretty weak" is stated in absolute terms with no frame of reference. We haven't become the Horizon League or something, we'll send multiple teams to the tourney, recruit plenty of Top 100 players, see our games on TV, and send teams to the Final Four when the dice fall our way.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2014, 06:53:01 AM »
Rather be with cinncy uconn Memphis smu

So you'd rather be a basketball school in the football playing AAC than in the current BE?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2014, 08:24:02 AM »
And I wish Scarlett Johansson would return to my life. What we had was so beautiful.

Scarlett, I miss you!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2014, 09:52:57 AM »
And I wish Scarlett Johansson would return to my life. What we had was so beautiful.

Scarlett, I miss you!

Well, she is just glad to be with a real man, for a change. She said to say hi, by the way, and wants some of her things back. Please mail them to us in Seattle.

Death on call

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2014, 09:56:29 AM »
If that's what he was trying to say, nobody would take issue. But what he actually said was this: and
Those are the parts I'd take issue with. Nobody thinks the current conference is as good as a few years ago. Most people saw the writing on the wall a long time ago and knew the break up would happen eventually. I think the outcome was about as good as we could have expected. But people are happy we are better off than we were in CUSA and we are now stable, and see the potential in a bball only conference. I guess I don't know which part of that he thinks is delusional.

As for it being pretty weak, it is weak compared to the old Big East and I think it had a down year last year, but it should be Top 5 year in and year out, and is more balanced than previous conferences. Maybe that's all he meant, but "pretty weak" is stated in absolute terms with no frame of reference. We haven't become the Horizon League or something, we'll send multiple teams to the tourney, recruit plenty of Top 100 players, see our games on TV, and send teams to the Final Four when the dice fall our way.

Marquette and Georgetown had a down year; The top 5 teams had 20 wins or more, not bad for a 10 team league.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2014, 10:03:09 AM »
Marquette and Georgetown had a down year; The top 5 teams had 20 wins or more, not bad for a 10 team league.

Yeah but when two of the three teams that the country actually knows are elite (in this era) have a down year then the overall perception will be that the conference has a down year
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2014, 10:14:06 AM »
Well, she is just glad to be with a real man, for a change. She said to say hi, by the way, and wants some of her things back. Please mail them to us in Seattle.

Don't let your ego go wild. She just prefers Seattle to Charlotte (and I don't blame her).
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2014, 10:15:46 AM »

So you'd rather be a basketball school in the football playing AAC than in the current BE?
Yes if gt and nova were included.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2014, 10:17:30 AM »
Don't let your ego go wild. She just prefers Seattle to Charlotte (and I don't blame her).

Hell, I know that. It's the salmon fishing that gets her

Death on call

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2014, 10:34:50 AM »
The current iteration of the Big East is the absolue best long term solution for MU.   The previous version had taken the hybrid concept as far as it could go and then the inevitable collapse occurred.   The C-7 schools teaming up as they did stabilized everything for the basketball only schools and provided a long term, stable basketball-only platform.   IMO, taking on state schools with football teams is like going back to an abusive, cheating ex-boyfriend.   'Take me back, I've changed, think of the good times' until one of the power 5 conferences come calling, and then they are nothing but a vapor trail.    That is the oppposite of what the basketball only schools want. 

Was the previous version better?   Yes.   Is there a better basketball-only option out there?   No.   Embrace it and see what can be done to improve it in any way that remains D-1 football free.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2014, 10:46:47 AM »
Yeah but when two of the three teams that the country actually knows are elite (in this era) have a down year then the overall perception will be that the conference has a down year

My apologies to all the Butler fans as they too had a down year. If any team (in this era) has an "elite" track record it is surly the Bulldogs. If the league is going to make it's mark as a premiere basketball league we should not besmirch a teams record because of perception, but what they actually do on the court. My hope is the league will be viewed as the best conference from top to bottom. I want MU to play the best competition.  Seton Hall and Providence are presently making that effort. I am sure Butler will bounce back as well. Hope Depaul will get their act together. The reformed league is making that effort and I expect will continue to recruit well.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2014, 11:39:08 AM »
This would never happen, but just for the sake of argument.. The ACC invites Marquette, GT,Nova, and St. John's as basketball only members. All other sports remain in BE (which then expands further). How much do YOU consider that option if you're running the show?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2014, 11:42:57 AM »
The current iteration of the Big East is the absolue best long term solution for MU.   The previous version had taken the hybrid concept as far as it could go and then the inevitable collapse occurred.   The C-7 schools teaming up as they did stabilized everything for the basketball only schools and provided a long term, stable basketball-only platform.   IMO, taking on state schools with football teams is like going back to an abusive, cheating ex-boyfriend.   'Take me back, I've changed, think of the good times' until one of the power 5 conferences come calling, and then they are nothing but a vapor trail.    That is the oppposite of what the basketball only schools want. 

Was the previous version better?   Yes.   Is there a better basketball-only option out there?   No.   Embrace it and see what can be done to improve it in any way that remains D-1 football free.   

This x1000

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2014, 11:45:59 AM »
This would never happen, but just for the sake of argument.. The ACC invites Marquette, GT,Nova, and St. John's as basketball only members. All other sports remain in BE (which then expands further). How much do YOU consider that option if you're running the show?

For the sake of the said argument, this hypothesis could NEVER happen.  There cannot be "affiliate-basketball members" in a conference.  There can be "affiliate-football members" - see Notre Dame in the ACC, Navy in the AAC.  If you play basketball in a conference, you are a full member.

source?

• All American
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2014, 01:28:13 PM »
Here's what the C7 gave up when they left the AAC schools:

(1) Affiliation with UConn, Cinncy, Memphis. Perennial powerhouse programs who bring a lot of attention.

(2) Affiliation with ESPN, the most widely known sports channel in the US. Tough losses, no doubt.

Here's what they gained:

(1) Stability. No one is leaving this conference for another non-football conference, and the football schools won't be calling.

(2) Money. The full members of the AAC are making, I believe, in the range of $2 million each for both sports. We are making $4 million per school for basketball. What do you think we would have made in the AAC for basketball only?

(3) Exposure. It may not have the name recognition of ESPN, but our deal with FOX has put all of our games on tv. That wouldn't have happened in the AAC.

(4) Affiliation with Creighton, Butler, and Xavier. I would argue that Xavier is an even trade for Cinncy, maybe better. The other two are obvious dropoffs from UConn and Memphis, but still extremely strong programs.

(5) Brand recognition. We kept the Big East name. That is hugely important.

(5) POWER. By far the most important. WE are the poachers now. Who do WE want to add? Maybe it winds up being Dayton and SLU this round. Who cares? Decent basketball schools with a similar vision. It's a stopping point at worst. When our contract is close to running out we leverage #13 and #14 options for more money. Maybe some of the football schools have a change of heart in the interim. We all have an equal voice in conference proceedings. If the football schools want to come to us, they won't have a greater voice than us if we take them back in. Why should we be beholden to the cult of football when

« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 01:30:50 PM by source? »

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2014, 01:35:24 PM »
I wish...

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2014, 01:56:05 PM »

The basketball only schools would be considered second-class in this situation.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2014, 02:03:07 PM »

Not withstanding GoldenWarriors correction of your membership issue, I would follow the lead of the other three and hope we act as a group.  But it isn't going to happen.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2014, 02:06:03 PM »
The AAC does have 95% of it's conference games on national TV.  The C-7 also gave up being in a league with East Carolina,  Tulane,  Houston,  SMU, USF, UCF.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2014, 02:27:29 PM »
Another important fact to realize is that, when the Big East was originally founded in 1979, the conference was meant to be a basketball-only conference (in Dave Gavitt's eyes).  It wasn't until 1991 when the league decided to add the likes of Rutgers, Miami, Temple, Virginia Tech and West Virginia to offer football.  The old conference was in turmoil from the start.  Penn State applied for admission (and was denied) with Syracuse offering the deciding vote. 

As previously stated, the basketball schools are not getting in bed again with the football schools.  Ever.  Marquette (and DePaul) just caught the brunt end of the turmoil.  Villanova, Georgetown, Seton Hall, Providence and St. Johns dealt with this over 30 years. 

I honestly have no idea how Gavitt kept the peace for so long.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2014, 02:33:19 PM »

I think the ACC likes all of its members in the eastern time zone. Plus, I'm sure they would be far more interested in Philly, NYC, and DC before they ever considered milwaukee. We would be SOL in this scenario. Luckily, it won't happen anyways.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2014, 02:54:46 PM »
Another important fact to realize is that, when the Big East was originally founded in 1979, the conference was meant to be a basketball-only conference (in Dave Gavitt's eyes).  It wasn't until 1991 when the league decided to add the likes of Rutgers, Miami, Temple, Virginia Tech and West Virginia to offer football.  The old conference was in turmoil from the start.  Penn State applied for admission (and was denied) with Syracuse offering the deciding vote. 

As previously stated, the basketball schools are not getting in bed again with the football schools.  Ever.  Marquette (and DePaul) just caught the brunt end of the turmoil.  Villanova, Georgetown, Seton Hall, Providence and St. Johns dealt with this over 30 years. 

I honestly have no idea how Gavitt kept the peace for so long.

Football happened under Mike Tranghese. Gavitt was gone to the Celtics by then.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2014, 09:24:50 AM »
I love self-hating Big East fans.

Remember, the Big East in its current form isn't the alternative to Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, ND, etc.

It's the alternative to road trips to East Carolina, Tulane, Central Florida, etc.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

GOO

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2014, 09:44:51 AM »
I love self-hating Big East fans.

Remember, the Big East in its current form isn't the alternative to Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, ND, etc.

It's the alternative to road trips to East Carolina, Tulane, Central Florida, etc.
Agreed.  We are in a great situation that is stable.  Why lament what was or could have been.
The break up of the old BE is so, so far in my review mirror that I haven't given it a thought since it happened.

Move on and be great full that we landed in a great situation with a lot of $$ coming Marquette's way.

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2014, 09:46:35 AM »

Yes, our current recruiting success is a clear indicator that the end is near...   ?-(

chapman

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2014, 09:54:16 AM »
I wish the Big East hadn't collapsed too.  Same for Montgomery Ward and Prange Way.

feedback