[Today at 12:33:49 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 10:43:34 AM]

NM by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 01:04:38 AM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Billy Hoyle
[June 18, 2024, 09:06:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Strange that this doesn't happen more in D1 recruiting.  (Read 8571 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Strange that this doesn't happen more in D1 recruiting.
« on: September 03, 2014, 04:38:34 PM »
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11460487/duncan-robinson-transfers-michigan-wolverines

I mean there's plenty of stars in D3 that could probably be at least contributors if not more on major D1 teams and what person playing college hoops wouldn't want to go to a top tier basketball school for free? With UW whitewater and UW stephens point being top D3 programs and so near to us I can't imagine why we don't go that route some times.
Maigh Eo for Sam

brandx

Re: Strange that this doesn't happen more in D1 recruiting.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 04:41:14 PM »
Maybe they like their lives at a smaller school or maybe they like being BMOC as opposed to just another guy off the bench.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 04:48:34 PM »
Maybe they like their lives at a smaller school or maybe they like being BMOC as opposed to just another guy off the bench.

Even as a star would they really be the BMOC at a D3 school compared to anyone on the team at a basketball centric school? 
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 05:08:12 PM »
Robinson is a very unique case.  He was a foot shorter when he entered high school and injured early in his career, and I don't think he played much AAU.  Even a couple years ago he was a 6'6" skinny wing player who had a couple low level D1 schools looking.  Now he's 6'8". 

Most of the D3 players aren't overlooked.  They play on the same high schools and AAU teams.  They just aren't as good. 

And there is no guaranty that Robinson will succeed at Michigan. 

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 05:14:18 PM »
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11460487/duncan-robinson-transfers-michigan-wolverines

I mean there's plenty of stars in D3 that could probably be at least contributors if not more on major D1 teams and what person playing college hoops wouldn't want to go to a top tier basketball school for free? With UW whitewater and UW stephens point being top D3 programs and so near to us I can't imagine why we don't go that route some times.

Is there anyone on UWW's roster you'd trade anyone on MU's roster to get?  

Their top player--KJ Evans--was on a 15-10 team in HS his senior year, and only made honorable mention all state.  The lowest player on MU's depth chart is probably John Dawson, who was the best player in New Mexico, 1st team all-state and led his team to the state championship game.  

I think there are far fewer D3 players than you expect who could actually cut it at a high-major (or even mid-major) D1 level.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 05:27:46 PM »
Their top player--KJ Evans--was on a 15-10 team in HS his senior year, and only made honorable mention all state.  The lowest player on MU's depth chart is probably John Dawson, who was the best player in New Mexico, 1st team all-state and led his team to the state championship game. 

Dawson was indeed first team all state, but Bryce Alford was deservedly Mr. Basketball in New Mexico that year.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 05:33:52 PM »
Well high majors missed out on Terry Porter, this guy is probably gonna be at least ok.  Didn't we play UW SP a few years ago when we had the big 3 and they at least held their own?  I'm not saying that there's plenty of them but I feel like there's gotta be at least a few here or there particularly when we're as close as we are to the top schools. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 06:51:01 PM »
Well high majors missed out on Terry Porter, this guy is probably gonna be at least ok.  Didn't we play UW SP a few years ago when we had the big 3 and they at least held their own?  I'm not saying that there's plenty of them but I feel like there's gotta be at least a few here or there particularly when we're as close as we are to the top schools. 

Terry Porter graduated from UWSP 30 years ago.  The fact that you have to go back that far says something.  And how many D3 players have made the NBA in the meantime?

The Jake Thomas experience should show you that players have trouble even moving up from the lower levels of D1 to the high levels of D1.

Warhawk Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 07:21:30 PM »
Don't play Whitewater in the non-conference, they win everything they participate in.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 07:25:31 PM »

Terry Porter graduated from UWSP 30 years ago.  The fact that you have to go back that far says something.  And how many D3 players have made the NBA in the meantime?

The Jake Thomas experience should show you that players have trouble even moving up from the lower levels of D1 to the high levels of D1.

SNIPPET:

"The NBA player who hails from a small college has all but disappeared. In past decades, the NAIA and schools from what is now NCAA Division II and III produced All-Stars like Earl Monroe, Dick Barnett, Jerry Sloan, Walt Frazier, Nate Archibald and Willis Reed. Later, Terry Porter, Dennis Rodman and Scottie Pippen came from these ranks.

But in the 21st century, the well has gone dry. There has not been a player from DII, DIII or NAIA to make a substantial splash in the NBA since Flip Murray, Devean George and Ben Wallace nearly a decade ago. As those players have retired, it appears nobody will step in to carry the small college banner into the next era.

Indeed, small college alumni are having a harder time than ever even making an NBA squad: Of the 10 such players in Las Vegas, only two of them – Glen Dandridge of now-defunct Lambuth University and Othyus Jeffers of Robert Morris University – averaged more than 10 minutes a game. Jeffers led the pack with 8.3 points a game for Minnesota but none of these 10 players – including John Stockton’s son Michael Stockton – appear to be a favorite to make a final roster in October.

Read more at http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2013/07/23/what-happened-to-all-the-great-division-ii-and-iii-players/#59UGDV6qqyxr2tXd.99"
SS Marquette

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 07:39:35 PM »
Am I the only person who hoped the title of this thread was leading into another defecation story?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 07:53:37 PM »
Even as a star would they really be the BMOC at a D3 school compared to anyone on the team at a basketball centric school? 

When my daughter was at Lawrence U up in Appleton a few years ago, their men's team went undefeated until losing to Illinois Wesleyan in the national quarterfinals. I went to a couple of games and the atmosphere was electric.

Every guy on that team was a BMOC, and their star, Chris Braier, was an All-American who obviously was incredibly popular. At Marquette, he would have been a walk-on.

Even though it was fun to cheer for Frozena the few times he got into a game, it would be hard to claim he was a BMOC.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 07:58:11 PM »
Mike Novak, Steve's dad, said the following to me which seems spot on: D1 is for freaks. Absolute freaks of nature. D2 and low D1 are freaks but the wrong size--like 6'6" low block players. D3 players are all-conference kids who want to keep playing.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 08:03:48 PM »
I went high school with a two-time D3 POTY, he got recruited by D1 programs after his sophomore season, most notably Bucky.

He liked where he was, the minimal workload to play and didn't want to play the NBA. Ended up playing a few seasons while touring Europe.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 08:08:08 PM »
Devean George went to a NAIA school in Minnesota,  Augsburg. He was a solid player. Plus you can't compare the eras. There are over 330 DI basketball schools now, how many were there 30-50 years ago?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 08:09:39 PM »
When my daughter was at Lawrence U up in Appleton a few years ago, their men's team went undefeated until losing to Illinois Wesleyan in the national quarterfinals. I went to a couple of games and the atmosphere was electric.

Every guy on that team was a BMOC, and their star, Chris Braier, was an All-American who obviously was incredibly popular. At Marquette, he would have been a walk-on.

Even though it was fun to cheer for Frozena the few times he got into a game, it would be hard to claim he was a BMOC.

I don't know man I've bought beers for frozena and I remember people always trying to go talk to him.  Obviously he wasn't like the big three, lazar or jimmy but on the level of fulce or buycks I'd say.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 08:17:50 PM »
I don't know man I've bought beers for frozena and I remember people always trying to go talk to him.  Obviously he wasn't like the big three, lazar or jimmy but on the level of fulce or buycks I'd say.

OK...and?

I guess if your goal is to sit on a bench for your college career and get guys to buy you a beer now and then, you can walk on at Marquette.

Or you can actually play basketball at a school like Whitewater.

There is no right nor wrong answer.  But my guess is that most basketball players want to play basketball.

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 09:21:28 PM »
How well did Jake Thomas work out for us? 

Maurice Acker was MAC Freshman of the year and was a fish out of water until his 5th year.

Now we want to go trolling the D2 and D3 levels?  no thanks.

Logi4three

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 10:05:49 PM »
Is there anyone on UWW's roster you'd trade anyone on MU's roster to get?  

Their top player--KJ Evans--was on a 15-10 team in HS his senior year, and only made honorable mention all state.  The lowest player on MU's depth chart is probably John Dawson, who was the best player in New Mexico, 1st team all-state and led his team to the state championship game.  

I think there are far fewer D3 players than you expect who could actually cut it at a high-major (or even mid-major) D1 level.

I played with several guys who went on to play at DIII schools (primarily Ripon and LaCrosse).  They were very talented and great guys, but no way were they DI or DII level players (despite several of them winning DIII championships).  They just wanted to play ball so they were willing to go DIII.  Conversely, I went to Marquette with another guy who was courted by a lot of DIIIs and he wanted to focus on his education and satisfied his itch by playing pick-up games and intermurals.  Different strokes for different folks.  

There is another group of DIII players, however, that are not as seemly. As an example, Dupree Fletcher was a Rufus King standout and courted by Ohio State, Baylor, Rutgers, UWM and UWGB (his younger brother Flavien Davis was allegedly recruited and offerred by Marquette).  Fletcher ended up accepting a scholarship to DI Evansville, IN.  After 3 games he was dismissed from the team for stealing electronics from campus dorm rooms.  He went to Garden City Community College in Kansas and was kicked off the team after one season for being arrested for criminal trespass and disorderly conduct.  He attributed that incident to having a young family (i.e., girlfriend, baby and baby on the way).  He then went to NAIA Dillard University, but left after one year due to academic issues.  He ended up (after several years of recruiting from DIII UW Whitewater) at Whitewater.   I was one of the last folks cut from the jury for his trial for robbery and battery while he was at Whitewater.  

I only point this out because there are a lot of reasons DIII players are not on DI rosters, despite the success they are finding at the DIII level.  I hope Mr. Fletcher has found his way and, as I said earlier, I know far more upstanding DIII players who are just doing it for playing time.  I suspect, however, that you do not see DIII players making the jump more often because they are either not DI caliber or they have other baggage.  

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 08:05:09 AM »
Am I the only person who hoped the title of this thread was leading into another defecation story?

it would seem so

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 08:08:19 AM »
Jack Bennett, Dick's brother, told a great story about Terry Porter's recruitment to our news crew when I was a sports intern in Wausau.  Jack was the head coach at UWSP at the time and went on to win a few D-III titles.  Here goes:

When Dick was coaching UWSP, he was at a game watching another player that he was recruiting.  Dick's wife had decided to tag along.  Dick was intently focused on the player he was recruiting.  During the game, his wife turned to him and said he should be recruiting the PG on the other team.  That PG was Terry Porter.  And now you know, the rest of the story.  

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2014, 08:08:58 AM »
I saw this interesting "recruiting" related, but not quite "recruiting" related story this morning.   More on of this summers interesting stories - Mo'ne Davis.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-geno-mone-davis-0904-20140903,0,772365.story

Auriemma: School Objected To His Call To Little Leaguer Mo'ne Davis

By JOHN ALTAVILLA, jaltavilla@courant.com

6:21 p.m. EDT, September 3, 2014

STORRS — Geno Auriemma said Wednesday that a school had filed a complaint with the American Athletic Conference saying that his congratulatory phone call to Little League sensation Mo'ne Davis constituted a recruiting violation.

Davis, the girl who helped lead Philadelphia's Taney Dragons to the semifinals of the United States championship in Williamsport, Pa., drew national attention after saying that her ultimate athletic goal was to play basketball for Auriemma at UConn and then go on to the WNBA.

Davis, 13, was seen all around Williamsport in a UConn hoodie and was wearing it again when she met her idol, former UConn All-American Maya Moore, over the weekend in Minnesota at the WNBA semifinals. And she was wearing it when she met Dodgers All-Star pitcher Clayton Kershaw.

Auriemma said he was asked to call Davis through a phone call from a friend who had been contacted by the NBA's Philadelphia 76ers. The 76ers thought it would be a good idea to reach out to her "because she loves basketball, and congratulations or something seem in order," Auriemma said.

Auriemma was then contacted by the communications office of Little League and it was agreed that he would just call and relay a message. When Auriemma called, Davis was in the room and was handed the phone.

"The conversation lasted like two minutes and we hung up," Auriemma said. "And then I was told a school turned us in for a recruiting violation because we are not allowed contact of July 1 before her junior year of high school. ... That's the world that we live in."

Auriemma said the complaining school is under no obligation to publicly identify itself. He said he has never seen Davis play basketball nor knows anyone who has seen Davis play basketball.

"Under normal circumstances, I would probably not know anything about her until she was in ninth grade," Auriemma said. "I have no idea if the kid is very good, kind of good, not good at all or a superstar or can even reach the basket. How is that a violation?

"So what does this mean? If a kid wins a swimming contest somewhere and is wearing a [UConn] sweat shirt and I call to congratulate her in seventh grade, is someone now going to say you are not allowed to do that? Well, why not? Isn't that unbelievable?

"There are guys playing college basketball driving around in cars worth more than my house and we're worried about a phone call to a little girl?"

According to UConn, Davis is not considered a PSA — prospective student athlete — until she is in high school. Davis is in eighth grade.

Copyright © 2014, The Hartford Courant

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2014, 09:54:30 AM »
I saw this interesting "recruiting" related, but not quite "recruiting" related story this morning.   More on of this summers interesting stories - Mo'ne Davis.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-geno-mone-davis-0904-20140903,0,772365.story

Auriemma: School Objected To His Call To Little Leaguer Mo'ne Davis

By JOHN ALTAVILLA, jaltavilla@courant.com

6:21 p.m. EDT, September 3, 2014

STORRS — Geno Auriemma said Wednesday that a school had filed a complaint with the American Athletic Conference saying that his congratulatory phone call to Little League sensation Mo'ne Davis constituted a recruiting violation.

Davis, the girl who helped lead Philadelphia's Taney Dragons to the semifinals of the United States championship in Williamsport, Pa., drew national attention after saying that her ultimate athletic goal was to play basketball for Auriemma at UConn and then go on to the WNBA.

Davis, 13, was seen all around Williamsport in a UConn hoodie and was wearing it again when she met her idol, former UConn All-American Maya Moore, over the weekend in Minnesota at the WNBA semifinals. And she was wearing it when she met Dodgers All-Star pitcher Clayton Kershaw.

Auriemma said he was asked to call Davis through a phone call from a friend who had been contacted by the NBA's Philadelphia 76ers. The 76ers thought it would be a good idea to reach out to her "because she loves basketball, and congratulations or something seem in order," Auriemma said.

Auriemma was then contacted by the communications office of Little League and it was agreed that he would just call and relay a message. When Auriemma called, Davis was in the room and was handed the phone.

"The conversation lasted like two minutes and we hung up," Auriemma said. "And then I was told a school turned us in for a recruiting violation because we are not allowed contact of July 1 before her junior year of high school. ... That's the world that we live in."

Auriemma said the complaining school is under no obligation to publicly identify itself. He said he has never seen Davis play basketball nor knows anyone who has seen Davis play basketball.

"Under normal circumstances, I would probably not know anything about her until she was in ninth grade," Auriemma said. "I have no idea if the kid is very good, kind of good, not good at all or a superstar or can even reach the basket. How is that a violation?

"So what does this mean? If a kid wins a swimming contest somewhere and is wearing a [UConn] sweat shirt and I call to congratulate her in seventh grade, is someone now going to say you are not allowed to do that? Well, why not? Isn't that unbelievable?

"There are guys playing college basketball driving around in cars worth more than my house and we're worried about a phone call to a little girl?"

According to UConn, Davis is not considered a PSA — prospective student athlete — until she is in high school. Davis is in eighth grade.

Copyright © 2014, The Hartford Courant

I understand his point, but Geno is as slimy as they come
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2014, 09:59:31 AM »
As part of a side project I looked through all the recruiting classes of D1 teams coming this season. I just checked, there were exactly 7 transfers from a lower division to D1. The most notable one was Varidel to Alabama. Varidel was a D1 players who decided to live in Hawaii for a year by playing for Chaminade. He lit up D2 competition with 19ppg before transferring back to Bama.

I just doesn't seem like that common of an occurrence.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2014, 12:51:44 PM »

OK...and?

I guess if your goal is to sit on a bench for your college career and get guys to buy you a beer now and then, you can walk on at Marquette.

Or you can actually play basketball at a school like Whitewater.

There is no right nor wrong answer.  But my guess is that most basketball players want to play basketball.
My guess is that Frozen A wanted a Marquette education.  Catholic HS kid who was very smart.

feedback