collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Robin Williams dead.  (Read 4072 times)

tower912

• All American
Robin Williams dead.
« on: August 11, 2014, 06:15:26 PM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MarquetteDano

• All American
Re: Robin Williams dead.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 06:35:11 PM »
Early indications is suicide.  Is there a more cursed profession than comedian?  A large minority of them seem to die young.   :'(

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 07:21:54 PM »
funny guy.  if it was suicide...drugs and alcohol claim another good one.  rest in peace and prayers for family
don't...don't don't don't don't

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 09:42:34 PM »
My dad was really upset about it. Mrs. Doubtfire was one of his favorite movies.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 09:45:11 PM »
The fall from humor is tough, and quite impossible to navigate.

RIP.

brandx

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 12:06:15 AM »
funny guy.  if it was suicide...drugs and alcohol claim another good one.  rest in peace and prayers for family

Could be right.

My own guess is that is is related to mental issues. He was a classic manic/depressive and suicide is not uncommon among those on the downswing.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 08:23:23 AM »
I saw him at the PAC in 1978. He was really pissed when people in the audience asked him to do Mork.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 09:25:44 AM »
Could be right.

My own guess is that is is related to mental issues. He was a classic manic/depressive and suicide is not uncommon among those on the downswing.

People who suffer from depression commonly self medicate with alcohol and other drugs. Temporary relief, but lower lows that can ultimately prove lethal. Still the most misunderstood illness there is - I just shake my head when people equate depression with "the blues" or wonder "What did he/she have to be depressed about? He/she is (fill in the blank) rich, successful, beautiful, etc." Many wrongly still see it as a choice, I guess.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 09:34:36 AM »
People who suffer from depression commonly self medicate with alcohol and other drugs. Temporary relief, but lower lows that can ultimately prove lethal. Still the most misunderstood illness there is - I just shake my head when people equate depression with "the blues" or wonder "What did he/she have to be depressed about? He/she is (fill in the blank) rich, successful, beautiful, etc." Many wrongly still see it as a choice, I guess.

Or a personal failure. 

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 09:48:38 AM »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 10:01:46 AM »
Just an insanely talented dude. Had a wider range from comedy to serious roles than probably any other actor ever.

Also a very kind human being...http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/11/robin-williams-facts_n_5670220.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000024

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 11:36:29 AM »

You are correct....absolutely correct.  I my carpool this morning one of the guys said he has never known someone to be really depressed and doesn't understand how someone can take their own life.  I told him I've known a few, including one that attempted suicide.  Where they are in such a state of mind that to escape their reality they need to go to that extreme.  It's real for many people. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 11:39:28 AM »
Just an insanely talented dude. Had a wider range from comedy to serious roles than probably any other actor ever.

Also a very kind human being...http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/11/robin-williams-facts_n_5670220.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000024

Enjoyed his serious roles more than his comedic roles.  After a while his comedy routines I didn't find that funny, but found his acting in non comedy efforts to be the most memorable of his work....for me at least.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 11:58:20 AM »
Ironic because I just went to see the birdcage at millenium park the other day.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 01:52:29 PM »
Ironic because I just went to see the birdcage at millenium park the other day.

I texted my fiancee that he died on the way home from work, had just heard it on the radio.

No lie...she was at home watching What Dreams May Come on TV...and she said it was this scene...

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 03:24:24 PM »
It's a shame of course.  I was never much of a fan of his stand-up, a little too frenzied for me and best taken in very small doses.  But loved much of his movie work.  He was a very versatile guy and could move seemlessly from kid stuff to comedies to dramatic roles.  He will be missed.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 06:21:50 PM »
just surprised that given so many people saw him and recognized how depressed he was that they didn't get him the help he needed.  i'm sure there are many good psychiatrists in that area that could have helped him.  there are so many good medications and/or combinations of meds that might have helped.  the reason i say many people saw him as being depressed is because tmz guy-harvey levin commented on greta's show that some described robin as being possibly beyond help.  we'll never know   

brandx

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 06:25:36 PM »
just surprised that given so many people saw him and recognized how depressed he was that they didn't get him the help he needed.  i'm sure there are many good psychiatrists in that area that could have helped him.  there are so many good medications and/or combinations of meds that might have helped.  the reason i say many people saw him as being depressed is because tmz guy-harvey levin commented on greta's show that some described robin as being possibly beyond help.  we'll never know   

He had received help before. But this is a terrible disease. (See Lenny's comment earlier - he said it best).

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 06:40:37 PM »
thanks brandx-i did re-read re-read lenny's post and he is right on!  depression is truly a heavy heart.  many people who self medicate do so because initially it works.  but the side effects eventually catch up with you and....either you recover or...

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2014, 07:59:02 AM »
Williams had said in interviews that he didn't like what the medication did to him including sapping creativity and energy. I would hazard that he may have been more on the manic/depressive side of things.