collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:41:27 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Which smoker to buy  (Read 163411 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Which smoker to buy
« Reply #375 on: January 26, 2017, 08:53:06 PM »
Ugh... marinades. 

This is the smoke thread, rocket... not the let's-see-what-other-inventions-Ron-Popeil-has-to-offer-for-the-lazy-soccer-mom-who-doesn't-want-to-learn-to-cook-for-her-husband-who-would-rather-eat-at-McDonald's.

I understand, but was just digging up some stuff on vacuum tumblers and unfortunately, I couldn't edit out anything NOT to do with smokin.  The vacuum tumbler, as I understand it, is what some of the big dogs use for like big/thick pieces of meat(remember, this is a smoking thread) so the marinade or brine will penetrate(another dog whistle) deeper into the meat and thus the smoke flavoring as well.  I always wondered how they were able to do that.  My understanding is also that the smoke only penetrates x inch(s) into the meat.
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #376 on: January 26, 2017, 08:58:14 PM »
Let's not get carried away here with grand pooba talk.  I am just a cog in the wheel with the MN BBQ Society.  Have been a judge for many years with KCBS.  Usually smoking some type of meat every other weekend or so.  I am not too familiar with the difference between wet mean and dry meat.  I do know many cooks argue about wet wood vs dry wood.  Those last 2 sentences sure sound awkward.

Just sayin, I can't even pretend to know what I'm talking about yet.  Only my own experiences and what I've interpreted from others. 

Have any of you guys done porchetta in the smoker yet?  That's my next experiment.  I'll keep ya'll posted

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #377 on: January 26, 2017, 09:11:19 PM »
Yep. It's nummy. Fraboni's is great

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #378 on: January 26, 2017, 09:22:13 PM »
Anyone have a pellet smoker?  If so, what kind, and do you like it?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #379 on: January 27, 2017, 10:19:37 AM »
I understand, but was just digging up some stuff on vacuum tumblers and unfortunately, I couldn't edit out anything NOT to do with smokin.  The vacuum tumbler, as I understand it, is what some of the big dogs use for like big/thick pieces of meat(remember, this is a smoking thread) so the marinade or brine will penetrate(another dog whistle) deeper into the meat and thus the smoke flavoring as well.  I always wondered how they were able to do that.  My understanding is also that the smoke only penetrates x inch(s) into the meat.

As an example, I'm going to utter two words not otherwise to be spoken ever again in this thread: liquid smoke.  With all things, there's an easy way and a hard way to do things... sure, you can infuse water with whatever flavor you want and soak a slab of meat in it to get the flavor to penetrate all the way through, but I ask you this... why?  Does every last fiber need to be flavored?  Even if the smoke only penetrates a single millimeter on each side of a brisket, is there any way you're going to slice off a piece that doesn't any of the smokiness in it? 

Sliding your knife through the meat does essentially the same thing as the vacuum tumbler... it distributes flavor.  The oils and resins of smoke that are trapped in or sitting on the pellicle easily release onto the knife as it passes through the outer layer and basically "smear" onto the internal portions of the cut as the knife continues through.  That's why pulled pork is pulled, the act of shredding and mixing the meat together allows the outer fibers carrying the smoke flavors to mix and distribute their flavor with the internal fibers that contain no smoke flavor but all of the fatty goodness.  That being said, to each their own; as mentioned, the decision is to do things the easy way or the hard way... there is no right and wrong way, even if you choose to grab a bottle of the aforementioned-never-to-be-mentioned.  Hell, I'll admit I have a bottle of it sitting in my pantry somewhere (though it's still sealed and probably long since expired).

Curing meat, however, is an entirely different story.  That's where I would find utility for a vacuum tumbler if I was doing a lot more than one pork belly every other month.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #380 on: January 27, 2017, 11:40:44 PM »
As an example, I'm going to utter two words not otherwise to be spoken ever again in this thread: liquid smoke.  With all things, there's an easy way and a hard way to do things... sure, you can infuse water with whatever flavor you want and soak a slab of meat in it to get the flavor to penetrate all the way through, but I ask you this... why?  Does every last fiber need to be flavored?  Even if the smoke only penetrates a single millimeter on each side of a brisket, is there any way you're going to slice off a piece that doesn't any of the smokiness in it? 

Sliding your knife through the meat does essentially the same thing as the vacuum tumbler... it distributes flavor.  The oils and resins of smoke that are trapped in or sitting on the pellicle easily release onto the knife as it passes through the outer layer and basically "smear" onto the internal portions of the cut as the knife continues through.  That's why pulled pork is pulled, the act of shredding and mixing the meat together allows the outer fibers carrying the smoke flavors to mix and distribute their flavor with the internal fibers that contain no smoke flavor but all of the fatty goodness.  That being said, to each their own; as mentioned, the decision is to do things the easy way or the hard way... there is no right and wrong way, even if you choose to grab a bottle of the aforementioned-never-to-be-mentioned.  Hell, I'll admit I have a bottle of it sitting in my pantry somewhere (though it's still sealed and probably long since expired).

Curing meat, however, is an entirely different story.  That's where I would find utility for a vacuum tumbler if I was doing a lot more than one pork belly every other month.

I like your thinking, Benjamin.  I never really had any serious intentions of infusing anything artificial or unnatural to this forum.  I like the way people here have presented their persuasions as they have.  It was only my curiosity if anyone here has rumbled with a tumbler.  I think I'd much prefer pulling the meat than tumblin it thru a vacuum any day..."that sorta thing ain't my bag, baby"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #381 on: January 29, 2017, 06:54:35 PM »
This weekend we made a brisket using the sous vide.

It was as good, if not better than anything done on the smoker.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #382 on: January 30, 2017, 07:11:57 AM »
Thanks for the post reinko - for hippy-dippy reasons, I don't really do pork (I know, I know) so beef and bird ideas for the smoker are at a premium.  If you don't mind, report back on how it goes this weekend and any tips because that looks my super bowl go-to.

So I did this weekend, and it had both it's ups and downs.  Start with the downs first.  After 5 hours of smoke @ 230, then another 90 minutes wrapped in foil in the oven with beef stock, it reached an internal temp of about 200*, took it out of the over, let it rest for another 30 minutes...the flavor was there, but it was dry  :(  Not inedible, but certainly dry.  The fat just didn't render, or maybe I bought too lean of a cut.

Now the good news, the next day, I took the leftovers, along with some smoked baked beans (if you have never smoked just your run of the mill canned baked beans, they are amazing), and put them in a slow cooker together with some beef stock, BBQ sauce, and worcestershire...slow cooked for 4 hours, and it was great.  Still great smoky flavor on the beef, and the beans were spot on too.

Best of luck!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 07:14:56 AM by reinko »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #383 on: January 30, 2017, 08:08:31 AM »
'Hole lotta methane goin' on, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #384 on: January 30, 2017, 02:26:21 PM »
So I did this weekend, and it had both it's ups and downs.  Start with the downs first.  After 5 hours of smoke @ 230, then another 90 minutes wrapped in foil in the oven with beef stock, it reached an internal temp of about 200*, took it out of the over, let it rest for another 30 minutes...the flavor was there, but it was dry  :(  Not inedible, but certainly dry.  The fat just didn't render, or maybe I bought too lean of a cut.

Now the good news, the next day, I took the leftovers, along with some smoked baked beans (if you have never smoked just your run of the mill canned baked beans, they are amazing), and put them in a slow cooker together with some beef stock, BBQ sauce, and worcestershire...slow cooked for 4 hours, and it was great.  Still great smoky flavor on the beef, and the beans were spot on too.

Best of luck!

What cut of beef did you cook, and how big of a cut?
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

reinko

• All American
« Reply #385 on: January 30, 2017, 02:48:26 PM »
What cut of beef did you cook, and how big of a cut?

Chuck roast,  about 3 lbs

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #386 on: January 30, 2017, 05:37:47 PM »
I agree, beans in the smoker are great. Famous Dave has a great recipe in his cookbook. His secret ingredient is Kahlua in his beans.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 05:40:43 PM by real chili 83 »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #387 on: January 31, 2017, 07:36:54 PM »
Chuck roast,  about 3 lbs

wow!  how that ended up dry is amazing.  first off, a CHUCK roast?  then wrapped in juice?  is there such a thing as a lean chuck? 

smoked beans?  how long and what temp?  check out masterbuilts web page under dadgum good recipes-i've made the smoked mac n cheese-it's dadgumit good

https://masterbuilt.com/

reinko

• All American
« Reply #388 on: February 01, 2017, 07:22:30 AM »
wow!  how that ended up dry is amazing.  first off, a CHUCK roast?  then wrapped in juice?  is there such a thing as a lean chuck? 

smoked beans?  how long and what temp?  check out masterbuilts web page under dadgum good recipes-i've made the smoked mac n cheese-it's dadgumit good

https://masterbuilt.com/

Yeah, I am still a noob @ this, maybe it's running hotter than I what my therm is showing.

As for the beans, super easy...just take my favorite canned baked beans, put them in a pan, add some BBQ sauce, some rub seasoning, little maple syrup, chopped up cooked bacon, and make sure to add some extra liquid like beef stock or even water.  Smoke @ 225 for 2-3 hours, done and done.  If the pan gets a bit dry during the smoke, add more liquid.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #389 on: February 20, 2017, 05:43:06 PM »
anyone ever do poor mans burnt ends?

had a little free time this weekend, but didn't want to get into a big ordeal-snoopin around, found this recipe on masterbuilts recipe site-

https://masterbuilt.com/recipe/poor-mans-burnt-ends/

easy, cheap, relatively fast by smokin standards, not bad, but if i had a little more patience, i would have finished them off under the broiler or over high heat/searing on the grill to get them more burnt.  surprised how fast the chuck achieved "just before falling apart tender".   i use stubs original bbq sauce

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #390 on: February 20, 2017, 06:55:57 PM »
Last year about this time, I was talking about a BBQ seminar put on by the MN BBQ society.  SPW just sent me a link to this year's event, which is copied below.  The session was well attended last year.   The agenda looks like it is fairly complete, but no guest speaker listed yet.  Last year, we had Famous Dave Anderson. 

Along with a great day of info, there is a killer lunch, with all the bbq brisket, ribs, sausages, chicken, plus chili, home made cornbread, etc, etc.  Trust me, the lunch alone is worth the price of admission. 

There were a number of vendors present too....I picked up a number of complimentary rubs, sauces, etc.

http://mnbbqsociety.com/2017/02/15/spring-training-2017/

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #391 on: February 20, 2017, 08:18:31 PM »
Last year about this time, I was talking about a BBQ seminar put on by the MN BBQ society.  SPW just sent me a link to this year's event, which is copied below.  The session was well attended last year.   The agenda looks like it is fairly complete, but no guest speaker listed yet.  Last year, we had Famous Dave Anderson. 

Along with a great day of info, there is a killer lunch, with all the bbq brisket, ribs, sausages, chicken, plus chili, home made cornbread, etc, etc.  Trust me, the lunch alone is worth the price of admission. 

There were a number of vendors present too....I picked up a number of complimentary rubs, sauces, etc.

http://mnbbqsociety.com/2017/02/15/spring-training-2017/

that looks and sounds like a great program!  i remember you talking about it last year-i would really give it a 2nd and even a 3rd thought, but speakin of sonoran, we just sold our lake havasu place and will be moving into our new place in surprise

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #392 on: February 22, 2017, 09:16:22 AM »
anyone ever do poor mans burnt ends?

had a little free time this weekend, but didn't want to get into a big ordeal-snoopin around, found this recipe on masterbuilts recipe site-

https://masterbuilt.com/recipe/poor-mans-burnt-ends/

easy, cheap, relatively fast by smokin standards, not bad, but if i had a little more patience, i would have finished them off under the broiler or over high heat/searing on the grill to get them more burnt.  surprised how fast the chuck achieved "just before falling apart tender".   i use stubs original bbq sauce

yessir - reinko just gave his synopsis of trying this a couple weeks ago earlier in the thread:

I tried it a week later, and taking reinko's advice to heart, smoked them a touch lower for a bit longer and didn't finish in the oven. I avoided the dryness problem, but would probably follow your advice too, rocket, next time i try them and finish them in the broiler. I like a solid char, and only a handful of pieces of my 4lb+ of ends had that.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #393 on: February 22, 2017, 07:11:09 PM »
yessir - reinko just gave his synopsis of trying this a couple weeks ago earlier in the thread:

I tried it a week later, and taking reinko's advice to heart, smoked them a touch lower for a bit longer and didn't finish in the oven. I avoided the dryness problem, but would probably follow your advice too, rocket, next time i try them and finish them in the broiler. I like a solid char, and only a handful of pieces of my 4lb+ of ends had that.

oh-i saw the chuck roast part, but didn't connect the dots :-[ 

i followed the masterbuilt recipe, no oven.  my chuck hit 200+ degrees after about 2-2 1/2 hours with my smoker set at 225.  so i turned it down to about 200 and left them in there another 30 min. or so. almost went too long as they were a curley one from fall apart.  pulled them off, rested for closer to an hour, coated with stubbs in aluminum pan and put back in to smoker uncovered for 1 1/2 ish hours.  very tender

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #394 on: February 26, 2017, 07:00:58 AM »
Pot roast on the menu tonight.

Going to give the chuck roasts a couple hours of cold smoke...170ish degrees.

With pot roast, I like to cover the bottom of the pan with thick slices of yellow onion, and cover them in Knorr's French onion soup mix. The onions are killer when done.  Since I am using the smoker today, I am thinking about throwing the onion slices in the smoker.  Might even smoke the carrots too.  Anyone ever smoke veggies?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 08:05:35 AM by real chili 83 »

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #395 on: February 26, 2017, 11:55:39 AM »
good idea chili, root veggies should do well. I'm doing carnitas tonight using boneless country style ribs.Then served on warm flour tortillas with queso fresco and cilantro.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #396 on: February 26, 2017, 01:44:35 PM »
good idea chili, root veggies should do well. I'm doing carnitas tonight using boneless country style ribs.Then served on warm flour tortillas with queso fresco and cilantro.

Anyone within a 90 mile radius of Milwaukee you spend their last dying breath trying to find Dunk's casa in time for dinner.  That man can cook. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #397 on: February 26, 2017, 05:39:38 PM »
Rap dat chit on collard greens, instead of tortillas, and maybe I could be enticed, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #398 on: February 26, 2017, 06:25:48 PM »
collard greens made with smoked pork shoulder...o yeah!!

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #399 on: February 26, 2017, 06:28:58 PM »
By the way, you are quite the chef yourself Chili.