collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Which smoker to buy  (Read 161888 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Which smoker to buy
« on: August 10, 2014, 09:03:32 PM »
Thinking about buying a new smoker for que.

I have a charcoal burner, dome smoker now.

I'm considering a Bradley digital electric, or a Smoke Hollow LP.

Both are vertical smokers.  Is there a big difference from a horizontal smoker?

During the summer, lots o ribs and brisket.  In the fall and spring, I am doing Jerkey, smoked turkey, and smoked ham.  Lots of venison, salmon, and beef/pork mix for Jerkey.

Input on smoker choices are welcome.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Which smoker to buy
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 09:23:41 PM »
Big Green Egg. Multi-purpose platform that excels in every category. Nothing else compares when it comes to the Mystical Union of Man, Meat, and Fire.

Death on call

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 08:17:38 AM »
If you have the scratch, the Egg is probably the ideal one. Holds temp like no other.

We got my dad a propane box smoker for Christmas and it works really well. I have a cheap Brinkmann charcoal one and it gets the job done, but is a bitch to babysit.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 08:41:00 AM »
Yeah, it's the Egg hands down. Wait for winter, people start selling them on Craigslist.

I also have used the Brinkmann, it's not fun.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 09:17:59 AM »
Yeah, it's the Egg hands down. Wait for winter, people start selling them on Craigslist.

I also have used the Brinkmann, it's not fun.

Sounds like the Egg is popular. 

The only detraction I can see is when doing venison jerkey, you can't stack up multiple racks for quicker processing.

Unfortunately, that hasn't been a problem the past two years thanks to no deer.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 09:46:53 AM »
Nothin' gets your meat done better than this smoker, hey?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:18:22 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 11:29:45 AM »
Love these - have one and have recommended to many others:  http://www.smokin-it.com/

Electric - no messing with keeping constant temperature...

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 07:26:44 PM »
for the money-master-built electric. have the $250 one.  does everything i need- set the temp and time, side wood loader...life is good.  the egg?  i'll have to check that one out-thanks, but not until this one blows out
don't...don't don't don't don't

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 07:37:31 PM »
Love these - have one and have recommended to many others:  http://www.smokin-it.com/

Electric - no messing with keeping constant temperature...

Those look nice. Are they insulated?

Does anyone have experience with a Bradley?  They look awful convenient to use. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 08:00:25 PM »

Chili

Trust me - The Egg is the only way to go. They last a lifetime, too. The Mystical Union of Man, Meat, and Fire deserves nothing less than the very best!

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 09:02:08 PM »
Chili

Trust me - The Egg is the only way to go. They last a lifetime, too. The Mystical Union of Man, Meat, and Fire deserves nothing less than the very best!

Giving it strong consideration.

Biggest downfall is that you can't stack up racks vertically for jerkey.  It only has one level.

If I keep missing deer, it won't be an issue.   ;D.

Anyone ever try salmon jerkey!  Good stuff Maynard.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 10:02:33 AM »
Giving it strong consideration.

Biggest downfall is that you can't stack up racks vertically for jerkey.  It only has one level.

If I keep missing deer, it won't be an issue.   ;D.

Anyone ever try salmon jerkey!  Good stuff Maynard.

Chili,
You ask, and shall receive.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggcessories/cooking-grids-racks-extenders-pans/tiered-racks/

real chili 83

• All American

reinko

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 10:56:19 AM »
You da man!

Thanks.

I will just take some of that jerkey off your hands.  ;D

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 11:37:24 AM »
Sure, but I will need to get a deer first.  That could be years with my luck!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 11:40:36 AM »
I got a cheap Char-Griller with a side box about five years ago, and it's taken me that long to finally be able to adjust the vents/fire to keep temps steady.  I know that people swear by the egg and that there are plenty of better smoke-dedicated units out there, but other than touching up the paint every year with some high-temp Rustoleum, it's held up well.  Not to mention, no one has ever complained about the food at my house (except my kids who complain about everything).

Unless you're burning hickory or greenbacks on a regular basis, I can't fathom spending more than a couple (read: few) hundred on a smoker.  BBQ is art, not science... and you don't need anything fancy to create a masterpiece.  Don't buy someone's myth, just go out and create your own.

Whatever you decide, for the love of God, don't get a pellet machine, and don't use wood chips.  If you can't find a firewood purveyor who will sell you a face cord of real hickory or cherry firewood, then you're better off just buying ribs and jerky at Menards.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 11:42:49 AM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014, 01:20:46 PM »
I got a cheap Char-Griller with a side box about five years ago

Word... side box!

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2014, 08:54:21 PM »
It must be insulated as it holds a temperature great in winter with no issues.

Salmon jerky - need to try.     Smoked salmon in the smoker is awesome with an Indian spice rub.

For jerky - been doing turkey jerky in the the dehydrator - awesome, better than beef, cant make enough for all the firends that ask for it...

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2014, 10:01:14 PM »

Smoked salmon in the smoker is awesome with an Indian spice rub.

Curry, Masala, or Vindaloo?

Death on call

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 02:47:03 PM »
Chili

The Egg, otherwise known as TMUMMF
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2014, 12:34:57 PM »
The Egg, otherwise known as TMUMMF

Our team is hosted on the Microsoft campus. Every Friday we have a BBQ and so we roll out our two Eggs and start burning meat. Other teams from the Microsoft Design Studios have begun bringing food and we now have at least a hundred souls savoring the taste of perfectly roasted animal flesh. We are cooking everything rom beef to salmon to pizza in our Green Cylinders. The Eggs have acquired a cult-like status in Redmond for their ability to deliver the ultimate in The Mystical Union of Man, Meat, and Fire.

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2014, 12:40:16 PM »
Our team is hosted on the Microsoft campus. Every Friday we have a BBQ and so we roll out our two Eggs and start burning meat. Other teams from the Microsoft Design Studios have begun bringing food and we now have at least a hundred souls savoring the taste of perfectly roasted animal flesh. We are cooking everything rom beef to salmon to pizza in our Green Cylinders. The Eggs have acquired a cult-like status in Redmond for their ability to deliver the ultimate in The Mystical Union of Man, Meat, and Fire.

I am coming around to the egg. 

With my current set up, I get tired of having to babysit charcoal when doing an all day brisket.  How long is the burn time on an egg when you have it turned down low (apprx 200 degrees)?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2014, 02:54:11 PM »
I am coming around to the egg. 

With my current set up, I get tired of having to babysit charcoal when doing an all day brisket.  How long is the burn time on an egg when you have it turned down low (apprx 200 degrees)?

Chili

Our VP of HR also owns a custom fireplace and hearth store in Issaquah which sells tons of Eggs. I just got off the phone and she said that if you use a hard, dense charcoal the Egg will go for 8-10 hours without tending. She also said she uses a BBQ Guru by DigiQ which is a computer controlled device that will keep the ambient temp at 210' and the meat at a constant 190' (I think I got the numbers right) for at least 30 hours of maintenance free burn.

She offered to order the BBQ Guru at her cost for you if you want it. In fact, she said have him text or call with any questions so PM or call me if you want to take advantage of her expertise and discount offer.

Crash

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 01:29:00 AM by keefe »

Death on call

2TimeWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2014, 08:25:05 AM »
Here's another vote for the Big Green Egg.  I love mine and use it several times per week.  Its versatility is a huge asset.  Lots of options for adding racks...check out www.ceramicgrillstore.com.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2014, 10:27:04 AM »
This was published locally in June, but the equipment discussed including the Green Egg has to be available everywhere.

Myron Mixon Discusses Barbecue and Great Grilling
http://www.connecticutmag.com/Connecticut-Magazine/June-2014/Myron-Mixon-Discusses-Barbecue-and-Great-Grilling/