[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tebow/Manziel  (Read 7633 times)

brandx

Re: Tebow/Manziel
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2014, 12:04:29 AM »
Who was telling you that you were stupid?

The Tebow defenders.

Let's face it. He was a very good college QB, and a terrible NFL QB. In an age when it is common for for QBs to complete 65% or more of their passes, tebow completed 47%.

And I see Chico's knows his QB ratings. Tebow's had a 75.3 rating  - it would have rated as a sparkling 70th best in the league last year.

Puts it all in perspective. People hated Tebow because we had to listen to the hype every day when it is plain for all to see that he was historically bad.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2014, 01:09:49 AM »
I disagree with the bolded part a little bit. I think it was more than that. I really think the hatred was because the Right adopted him as their christian and blindly defended him despite the rest of what you wrote.

I understand what you're saying here and I'm sure that's been a part of it.

Of course, it isn't Tebow's fault that the wing-nuts adopted him, so hating him because of that was as misplaced as hating Derrick and Jake because Buzz played them so much.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2014, 09:17:45 AM »
I understand what you're saying here and I'm sure that's been a part of it.

Of course, it isn't Tebow's fault that the wing-nuts adopted him, so hating him because of that was as misplaced as hating Derrick and Jake because Buzz played them so much.

Being a vanguard of a movement, whether intended or not, can lead to strong criticism from others. Course, in the case of Tebow, it could also be a result of some very strong rumblings that he wasn't/isn't as chaste as was/is represented.

Black, white, yellow, brown, christian, Muslim, Jewish, druze, monogamous, polygamous, Luddite, early adopter, etc. will all be criticized equally when suspected of hypocrisy. Whether that or religious idol, the coverage draws eyeballs and eyeballs equal dollars and in America that's all that matters.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2014, 10:14:42 AM »
And of course, USA Today couldn't resist doing a major story on Tebow and his new career in television.

Again, that's not Tebow's fault. The media just can't get enough of this guy!

brandx

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2014, 12:24:04 PM »
Being a vanguard of a movement, whether intended or not, can lead to strong criticism from others. Course, in the case of Tebow, it could also be a result of some very strong rumblings that he wasn't/isn't as chaste as was/is represented.

Black, white, yellow, brown, christian, Muslim, Jewish, druze, monogamous, polygamous, Luddite, early adopter, etc. will all be criticized equally when suspected of hypocrisy. Whether that or religious idol, the coverage draws eyeballs and eyeballs equal dollars and in America that's all that matters.

I don't know if he was hypocritical or not. My only criticism is that he was a terrible QB.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2014, 03:59:46 PM »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2014, 05:13:00 PM »
And of course, USA Today couldn't resist doing a major story on Tebow and his new career in television.

Again, that's not Tebow's fault. The media just can't get enough of this guy!

It's dog days of sports, a new network is launching covering the best football conference in the nation and a former Heisman trophy winner is one of the analysts.  Trust me, in this space this isn't the media going out of their way to do a story, this is the SEC pushing a story which is how most sports stories get written.  They are planted, the work done by PR agencies, etc and a few follow-ups by the author.  This was part of the SEC's satellite media tour, happens all the time in sports.  Knowing how many people love or hate Tebow (some because he is a Christian), news outlets aren't stupid to want to capitalize to get clicks and drive ads.

Nothing more, nothing less.

This is why there are no less than five stories today about Tebow and the SEC Network, because the SEC is making him available via SMT (satellite media tour).  Just as you are going to see a boatload of Peyton and Eli Manning stories very soon, all on the same day, all representing a certain company...wink wink, nudge, nudge.  It's how it works.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2014, 12:28:36 AM »
It's dog days of sports, a new network is launching covering the best football conference in the nation and a former Heisman trophy winner is one of the analysts.  Trust me, in this space this isn't the media going out of their way to do a story, this is the SEC pushing a story which is how most sports stories get written.  They are planted, the work done by PR agencies, etc and a few follow-ups by the author.  This was part of the SEC's satellite media tour, happens all the time in sports.  Knowing how many people love or hate Tebow (some because he is a Christian), news outlets aren't stupid to want to capitalize to get clicks and drive ads.

Nothing more, nothing less.

This is why there are no less than five stories today about Tebow and the SEC Network, because the SEC is making him available via SMT (satellite media tour).  Just as you are going to see a boatload of Peyton and Eli Manning stories very soon, all on the same day, all representing a certain company...wink wink, nudge, nudge.  It's how it works.

You're right, Chicos. Sad state of affairs in media land.