Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Orlando Brackets- MU vs. Georgia Tech  (Read 17466 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Orlando Brackets- MU vs. Georgia Tech
« on: August 05, 2014, 09:46:08 AM »
Michigan State likely in the second round. Not a bad draw, IMO.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/99682/bracket-reveal-orlando-classic

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Orlando Brackets- MU vs. Georgia Tech
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 10:00:27 AM »
Got a laugh out of this quote from the article:

Maybe Marquette under Steve Wojciechowski has more talent waiting in the wings -- even with last week's departure of frequent Williams antagonist Todd Mayo -- than anyone expects.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 10:05:56 AM »
Well, at least this scribe knows his chit or at least reads this board, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 10:06:11 AM »
And this one:

Buzz Williams jolted for noted hoops powerhouse Virginia Tech

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 10:09:07 AM »
I know MSU is definitely a stronger program and better situated than us right now but if there was a year to play them I'd take the year they graduated what they did.  Not expecting a win in that game but nice to know that it likely won't be a blow out. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 10:11:38 AM »
I'll predict a 2-1 3rd place finish W- Georgia Tech; L- Michigan St.; W- Tennessee.  If true, successful weekend.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 10:20:46 AM »
I'll predict a 2-1 3rd place finish W- Georgia Tech; L- Michigan St.; W- Tennessee.  If true, successful weekend.

I'd take that and run.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 10:23:46 AM »
And this one:
Buzz Williams jolted for noted hoops powerhouse Virginia Tech

I know he was being ironic, but I'm going to stick with the one philosophical belief I've stuck to all these years:  Eamonn Brennan is a moron.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Slim

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 10:23:55 AM »
Should be a happy Thanksgiving!

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 10:26:09 AM »
I know he was being ironic, but I'm going to stick with the one philosophical belief I've stuck to all these years:  Eamonn Brennan is a moron.

He didn't use teal though....

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 10:30:13 AM »
Georgia Tech lost most of their scoring from last year, but are filled with 6'8" to 6'10" guys who either don't have a great deal of experience, or who are experienced but transferred into the program.  They could legitimately play three guys taller than STJ out there.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 10:42:22 AM »
Georgia Tech lost most of their scoring from last year, but are filled with 6'8" to 6'10" guys who either don't have a great deal of experience, or who are experienced but transferred into the program.  They could legitimately play three guys taller than STJ out there.

I don't mind playing against taller competition, provided their names are some derivation of Mbao, McMorrow and Grimm.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 10:50:17 AM »

I would love that result as well. Kansas will be great add they always are. GATech and Tennessee are going to be real down. Both got gutted last season. MSU is going to be down. Outside the top 25 I think. But still top 40. Santa Clara and rider will be blah. Rhode island could be really good. Kansas better but sleep on them.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 10:51:51 AM »

We'd get to face former Marquette target Ben "blammers" Lammers!
TAMU

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 11:02:53 AM »
Is it fair to suggest that the tourney committee gave us a #3 seed based on the bracket?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 11:09:25 AM »
Is it fair to suggest that the tourney committee gave us a #3 seed based on the bracket?

I think a four or five seed is more likely. MSU, Kansas, and Tennessee have the perceived easiest games.

Personally, I'd seed the teams as:
Kansas
Michigan State
Rhode Island
Marquette
Tennessee
Georgia Tech
Santa Clara
Rider
TAMU

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2014, 11:37:06 AM »
I guess the other interesting thing are the non-bracketed games for Kansas, Michigan State, Santa Clara and Rider.

If I'm not mistaken we're still one under the allowed max for the year.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2014, 11:50:46 AM »
If I'm not mistaken we're still one under the allowed max for the year.

We are, and it'll likely be a neutral floor game somewhere.

My wild guess, based on nothing but wishful thinking? Dec. 13, vs Notre Dame, at the United Center.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2014, 12:27:18 PM »

My wild guess, based on nothing but wishful thinking? Dec. 13, vs Notre Dame, at the United Center.

My wishful thinking is a doubleheader...

Illinois (or Northwestern) v. DePaul
Marquette v. Notre Dame

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 12:28:59 PM »
We are in just as bad of a position in this tournament (see: pre-Fischer eligibility...I don't expect the guy to go for 20 and 10, but I do expect him to make an impact more outside of the box score just based on pure size and the lack of that on the rest of the roster) as any other team who graduated a lot (GT, MSU, Tenn).  We were really bad last year, and we graduated or lost our top 3 players from last year, to go along with 2 others starters, and every bit of our size.  As exciting as some of the potential is on the roster, to this point it is just that...potential.  I wouldn't count on any games against any opponents if we have to beat someone else first to get to them, especially before December 14.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2014, 12:29:37 PM »

Great people are born on that day.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2014, 12:36:50 PM »
I eat a bowl of Yellow Jackets for breakfast each morning.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2014, 01:25:17 PM »
I eat a bowl of Yellow Jackets for breakfast each morning.

Are you Chuck Norris?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2014, 02:11:59 PM »
We are in just as bad of a position in this tournament (see: pre-Fischer eligibility...I don't expect the guy to go for 20 and 10, but I do expect him to make an impact more outside of the box score just based on pure size and the lack of that on the rest of the roster) as any other team who graduated a lot (GT, MSU, Tenn).  We were really bad last year, and we graduated or lost our top 3 players from last year, to go along with 2 others starters, and every bit of our size.  As exciting as some of the potential is on the roster, to this point it is just that...potential.  I wouldn't count on any games against any opponents if we have to beat someone else first to get to them, especially before December 14.

Half empty but all true.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2014, 02:15:12 PM »
Sorry to say but I have to agree.  Steve Taylor and Burton are going to be required to play close to 30 minutes at the 5 and 4 with Juan the only guy who can sub for them.  Think about Juan or Burton having to guard a high major center regardless of how in experienced the guy is.  Any kind of foul trouble or just the fatigue of playing 3 games in a tournement format is going to be very difficult.  We will literally have to stall and slow the game down just to rest these guys on the court and that isn't a winning formula for a guard oriented team without a lot of great shooters.  I think if we are able to win a single game high major in Orlando we should be very proud.  I think you'll see games all year where we are close for most of the game but run out of gas. 

feedback