Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ellenson article  (Read 11925 times)

StillWarriors

• All American
Ellenson article
« on: July 18, 2014, 09:43:08 AM »
Good article on Ellenson and how he's broadened his game and his unique skill set.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24626458/five-star-do-it-all-forward-henry-ellenson-drawing-dirk-nowitzki-comparisons

Sure would be awesome to have him at MU!!

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Ellenson article
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 09:54:09 AM »
All foreseen two years ago.

Normal progression in some areas and hard work in others has brought him along to this point. Glad to see so many recognizing it finally.

D1 Minnesota's Depth on Display in Denver.

The 16U team features 6’9″, 250 pound Henry Ellenson, potentially a top 15 player in the 2015 class. With his size he can beat up a lot of competition on the blocks, but it’s his versatility and skill as a basketball player that make him such a standout. Henry has a pretty outside shot and can make a defense pay from anywhere on the floor.

Oct 12 Mini-Camp Notes

October 2012 Notes
You may hear Ellenson called a center by some, but that’s selling him short. Physically he looks the part and he can certainly battle on the blocks, but his skill and athletic ability sets him far apart from other kids his size.

Henry is an excellent shooter with plenty of range well past the three-point line, but has also worked on developing his game on the blocks. Over the next few years he should be able to continue adding to his arsenal of offensive weapons, which is a scary thought for teams trying to defend him.

His strength and quickness are not areas of concern, but there is opportunity for him to be elite if these areas progress nicely over the next few years. In college, there is no reason Ellenson can’t be a 3/4 switchable type who can score at multiple levels and defend multiple positions.

Now, at this point in time you wouldn’t have him dribbling the ball all the way up the court on a 3-on-1 fast break, but there’s not a lot I’d give him a red light on doing.

At a minimum, he’s a very good college prospect. With hard work, I can see Henry winding up as a top 10 player in the 2015 class.

Other potential factors such as good coaches, supportive family and older brothers who also play basketball (the oldest brother, Wally, is a freshman at Minnesota and will be able to share his D1 experience and Henry’s father played college ball for Marquette and Wisconsin) all seem to favor the likelihood of success for Henry Ellenson. He’s legit and the sky is the limit.

Note - in that USA BBall article, Horace Spencer is discussed. As I've said before, watch for him as a guy who shoots up in the 'well known rankings'.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 02:21:52 PM »
I like his "playing style and coaching staff" comment.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 02:43:20 PM »
From what I've seen and heard of this kid, I'm gonna say he is as critical of a recruit for Wojo as Wolf was to Majerus. He is program definin'. With him you're the pisser. Without Ellenson, a program like ours becomes the pissee.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 03:12:41 PM »
Thanks for the link. It was a good read.

I like the cut of this young man's jib. Looking forward to seeing him in a Marquette uni!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 03:41:30 PM »
From what I've seen and heard of this kid, I'm gonna say he is as critical of a recruit for Wojo as Wolf was to Majerus. He is program definin'. With him you're the pisser. Without Ellenson, a program like ours becomes the pissee.

At least we have Wally eh?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 03:47:28 PM »
All foreseen two years ago.

Normal progression in some areas and hard work in others has brought him along to this point. Glad to see so many recognizing it finally.

D1 Minnesota's Depth on Display in Denver.

Oct 12 Mini-Camp Notes

Note - in that USA BBall article, Horace Spencer is discussed. As I've said before, watch for him as a guy who shoots up in the 'well known rankings'.

Man BeeJay, you are just the best! Definitely on top of your high school boys!

Re: The article. I'd liken Henry to Kevin Love more than I would to Dirk.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 03:49:00 PM »
Man BeeJay, you are just the best! Definitely on top of your high school boys!

Re: The article. I'd liken Henry to Kevin Love more than I would to Dirk.

Well we did go to a catholic school
Maigh Eo for Sam

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 05:36:11 PM »
I saw Diamond Stone play in 7th grade and knew he was going to be great before ANYONE---now everybody thinks he is great......and I was the first!  ::)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 09:59:39 PM »
I saw Diamond Stone play in 7th grade and knew he was going to be great before ANYONE---now everybody thinks he is great......and I was the first!  ::)

Oh yeah? I saw Diamond's mom when she was 6 months pregnant with him, and I could tell looking at her belly that her son was gonna be a hoops stud!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 02:18:26 AM »

You know, I've caught myself saying that a couple of times about both Stone and Ellenson. But as I think about it, I don't know how true it is.

USC got O.J. Mayo (3rd best in 2007) and Demar DeRozen (7th best in 2008) they still ended up as a bottom half of the PAC 12 team a few years later.
Alabama got JaMychal Green (6th best in 2008) and have only made it to one NCAA since
Georgia Tech got Derrick Favors (2nd best in 2009) and have only made it to one NCAA since
Mississippi State got Renardo Sidney (7th best in 2009) and have been a sub 200 RPI team the last two seasons

Getting Ellenson would definitely be huge. But I don't think we need to pin all our hopes and dreams on him. The program could survive without him, we could also potentially fail with him.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

seakm4

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 04:20:51 AM »
I saw Diamond Stone play in 7th grade and knew he was going to be great before ANYONE---now everybody thinks he is great......and I was the first!  ::)

OK Captain Hipster

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 05:49:26 AM »

I saw John Ellenson play at MU and thought if he got married and had kids they would be great basketball players.  My buddy even said one might be a great high jumper!

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 06:59:47 AM »
OK Captain Hipster

Did I really need to use teal? C'mon man .

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 07:09:23 AM »
You know, I've caught myself saying that a couple of times about both Stone and Ellenson. But as I think about it, I don't know how true it is.

USC got O.J. Mayo (3rd best in 2007) and Demar DeRozen (7th best in 2008) they still ended up as a bottom half of the PAC 12 team a few years later.
Alabama got JaMychal Green (6th best in 2008) and have only made it to one NCAA since
Georgia Tech got Derrick Favors (2nd best in 2009) and have only made it to one NCAA since
Mississippi State got Renardo Sidney (7th best in 2009) and have been a sub 200 RPI team the last two seasons

Getting Ellenson would definitely be huge. But I don't think we need to pin all our hopes and dreams on him. The program could survive without him, we could also potentially fail with him.

From a play on the court stand point you are correct, but from a program status and importance stand point 4ever is correct.

Getting Stone and/or Ellenson puts MU up there in an elite category. It would send a statement and give legitimacy to the new coach. Joe Wolf is a good comparison or similar to the Packers signing Reggie White.  I don’t think the program spirals down out of control if we don’t land these guys, but it could put us up to another level if we do.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2014, 07:13:19 AM »
From a play on the court stand point you are correct, but from a program status and importance stand point 4ever is correct.

Getting Stone and/or Ellenson puts MU up there in an elite category. It would send a statement and give legitimacy to the new coach. Joe Wolf is a good comparison or similar to the Packers signing Reggie White.  I don’t think the program spirals down out of control if we don’t land these guys, but it could put us up to another level if we do.

Only goes to another level if we win with these guys.  Have another season like last year (preseason BE favorite only to go 17-15 with no post-season) and any good will from these signs is gone.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2014, 11:57:55 AM »
Bo Ryan has been at his last three games, I'd say they are far from backing off on Mr. Ellenson.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 12:42:00 PM »
OK Captain Hipster

Something tells me you've been saving this pic for just this type of post!

LOL hilarious pic!
SS Marquette

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 01:38:43 PM »
Bo Ryan has been at his last three games, I'd say they are far from backing off on Mr. Ellenson.

Big week for this area of the country for UW targets.  

Diamond Stone was in Atlanta playing in the UnderArmour event.  Ellenson is in Augusta playing in the Elite Youth Invitational, Josh Sharma is playing just across the border in the Peach State Showcase in Aiken, SC and they have some scholarships out to players at the Peach Jam in North Augusta, SC.

I'm not sure if Wojo has missed one of Ellenson's games in Las Vegas or Augusta this month.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 01:42:14 PM by TedBaxter »
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2014, 01:47:29 PM »
Big week for this area of the country for UW targets.  

Diamond Stone was in Atlanta playing in the UnderArmour event.  Ellenson is in Augusta playing in the Elite Youth Invitational, Josh Sharma is playing just across the border in the Peach State Showcase in Aiken, SC and they have some scholarships out to players at the Peach Jam in North Augusta, SC.

Just to clarify... Augusta, GA and North Augusta, SC are essentially on top of each other. 5 min drive. EYBL and EYI (which includes a number of EYBL teams that didn't make the Peach Jam) are there.

Aiken, SC is a little drive from those two (~30 mins).
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2014, 02:28:44 PM »

Agree 100%.

Great if we get him, but guarantees nothing.

Sucks if we don't, but guarantees nothing.

I mean, what is the option? A teenager decides to go elsewhere so we decide Marquette isn't worth following anymore and we renounce our almunihood?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2014, 12:42:05 AM »

I get the legitmacy to the new coach point, but does it really make us elite? It's a step towards elite, but I don't think one player can do that for us. I mean look at the examples I gave. Do you consider USC, Alabama, Georgia Tech, and Mississippi State to be elite?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2014, 08:04:45 AM »
Of course there are no "guarantees" one way or the other, but I'm with the good doctor and hairy - get Ellenson and the program continue it's upward trajectory. If we miss, I think it's very likely we take a step back.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2014, 08:23:09 AM »
Nike Peach Jam: Henry Ellenson draws crowds at Augusta outposts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 7:56 pm | Updated: 8:27 am, Fri Jul 18, 2014.

http://www.fayobserver.com/sports/nike-peach-jam-henry-ellenson-draws-crowds-at-augusta-outposts/article_1b2001b0-93a3-5808-83db-8c3c080c043b.html

NORTH AUGUSTA, S.C. - Five miles from a packed Riverview Park Activities Center, the site of the prestigious EYBL Finals at the Nike Peach Jam, high-profile college coaches had gathered at the Josey High School gym to watch a lower-tier Elite Youth Invitational game that tipped off at 9:30 p.m. on Wednesday night.

Class of 2015 power forward Henry Ellenson was the star attraction.

The 6-foot-10, 230-pound Ellenson, who is a member of the Wisconsin-based Playground Elite travel team, has drawn interest from Duke and is being recruited seriously by North Carolina. A mobile, skilled player capable of breaking the press with his dribble and knocking down 3-pointers, he is ranked as the No. 5 rising senior in the country by ESPN.

UNC head coach Roy Williams and assistant Steve Robinson had front-row seats as Ellenson scored 19 points in his tournament debut, which ended a few minutes before 11 p.m.

"Especially this late, it was nice to see all the coaches in the stands - it was pretty full," Ellenson said. "Seeing all the coaches brings a lot of energy to the game."

Ellenson's stock has improved dramatically this summer, receiving another boost following a strong showing at the recent LeBron James Skills Academy.

Ellenson was a point guard until the eighth grade, and he had to develop perimeter skills to compete against his older, taller brothers. Wally plans to transfer to Marquette after spending two seasons at Minnesota, and Ellwood plays at Division II Bemidji State. Their father, John, was recruited to Marquette by Rick Majerus in the mid-1980s and finished his college career at Wisconsin.

Ellenson, like his dad, has deep shooting range.

"When you're in the fourth grade and your older brother is in the seventh, you have to be able to score on someone bigger during that time, so I decided go with it and just stuck with it," Ellenson said.

Ellenson weighed 260 pounds before last summer began and lost 30 pounds to give himself a better chance to play on the wing rather than primarily in the post. He averaged 27.2 points and 13.1 rebounds while shooting 36 percent from 3-point range as a Rice Lake High School junior.

Ellenson averaged 18.0 points and 9.3 rebounds this summer during the EYBL's regular season, but Playground Elite didn't qualify for the finals, forcing coaches from programs such as UNC and Duke to adjust their Augusta itineraries.

"Both programs are very elite, very prestigious," Ellenson said. "It's two very big-name coaches with past records of sending guys to the league, developing them and winning national championships."

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2014, 08:26:18 AM »
NCAA Basketball Recruiting: What Each 5-Star Must Prove at 2014 Nike Peach Jam
By Thad Novak , Featured Columnist
Jul 17, 2014

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2133050-ncaa-basketball-recruiting-what-each-5-star-must-prove-at-2014-nike-peach-jam/page/10

Henry Ellenson, Playground Elite

To Prove: He can lead a contender

Henry Ellenson’s Playground Elite squad had one of the worst regular-season showings of any team to make the Peach Jam field. After a 7-9 finish, the 6’10” forward and his mates have a long hill to climb against loaded competition this weekend.

Fortunately for them, Ellenson has been one of the most reliable individual contributors in the league.

Ranked in the top 15 in both scoring and rebounding while also blocking 1.6 shots per game, the slick-shooting big man has continued to show the form that's sent him rocketing up the national rankings in the past few months.

feedback