Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: SMU recruit Emmanuel Mudiay will play overseas  (Read 6140 times)

Tums Festival

• All American
SMU recruit Emmanuel Mudiay will play overseas
« on: July 14, 2014, 04:41:13 PM »
The No. 5 prospect in the 2014 will play overseas instead of at SMU. A little surprised more high schoolers don't do this.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11214190/smu-mustangs-prospect-emmanuel-mudiay-headed-overseas
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: SMU recruit Emmanuel Mudiay will play overseas
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 04:51:52 PM »
Worked for Brandon Jennings

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 04:53:35 PM »
Worked for Brandon Jennings

Didn't turn out so great for Jeremy Tyler.

brandx

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 05:30:49 PM »
It was all about grades, in this case.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 05:58:17 PM »
The No. 5 prospect in the 2014 will play overseas instead of at SMU. A little surprised more high schoolers don't do this.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11214190/smu-mustangs-prospect-emmanuel-mudiay-headed-overseas

Please send the link to the GIF in your signature....that is epic.  Wow.  Never seen that!
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 06:34:35 PM »
It was all about grades, in this case.

I didn't think it was as much about grades as it was to him violating the amateur status.

brandx

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 06:37:24 PM »
I didn't think it was as much about grades as it was to him violating the amateur status.

I don't know. You may be right, but a lot of guys from Deion's school have had issues.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
SS Marquette

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 08:46:39 PM »

I still think this will always be the exception rather than the norm. Most of the leagues overseas are not worth going to and the competition level is lower than NCAA. The ones that are decent have players that most high schoolers wouldn't be able to beat out for PT and are a lot harder to get in to. And some have limits on number of players on a team that can be from other countries, not to mention you see how many kids already stay near home or transfer back closer to home. That's why only the few rare cases do it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 09:04:07 PM »
Dislike Larry Brown, always have. I'm kinda glad that they have this setback.

SMU has higher admissions standards than the NCAA for their football team. I wonder if that also applies to basketball.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 09:07:25 PM »
Not only that, but most overseas leagues expect players to come in well versed in fundamentals.  Jennings was a fundamentally sound point guard.  No idea of Mudiay fits in that category.

But remember the guy who followed Jennings' path and went to Israel the next year?  He screwed up big time not going to college...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/08/sports/basketball/08tyler.html?pagewanted=all

chapman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 09:17:21 PM »
But remember the guy who followed Jennings' path and went to Israel the next year?  He screwed up big time not going to college...

The article missed the biggest issue behind his failure: he was clearly distracted by all the IDF babes. 

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 09:43:16 PM »
Please send the link to the GIF in your signature....that is epic.  Wow.  Never seen that!

+1

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 11:15:19 PM »
Couldn't have happened to a nicer conference...

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 12:06:17 PM »
Not only that, but most overseas leagues expect players to come in well versed in fundamentals.  Jennings was a fundamentally sound point guard.  No idea of Mudiay fits in that category.

Not going to college?  What about finishing high school?  He played in Israel during what would have been his senior year of high school!  He still was drafted 39th overall in 2011.  He's currently with the Knicks, although most of the time he's in the NBA Development League.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 03:49:22 PM »
I can just picture Mudiay's phone call for advice:

"Hi, Coach Williams? I have some concerns that expectations are really high for me at SMU... do you think I should honor my commitment to them, or go after the money at some backwoods bball program in Siberia?"

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 06:47:32 PM »
I can just picture Mudiay's phone call for advice:

"Hi, Coach Williams? I have some concerns that expectations are really high for me at SMU... do you think I should honor my commitment to them, or go after the money at some backwoods bball program in Siberia?"

Coach Williams: "Everybody gets fired eventually.  Would you rather get fired from SMU or from Siberia?"
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

feedback