Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Well, Bleacher Report doesn't like our chances this season. 9th place  (Read 15352 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Well, Bleacher Report doesn't like our chances this season. 9th place
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2014, 01:20:08 PM »
What most of these writers do for these articles is look at the conference standings from last season. They then look at what each team is losing an what each team is gaining. They then determine based on that "analysis" whether a team is probably moving up or down in the rankings.

When they look at Marquette, they see a team that finished 6th last season, who loses over 50% of it's offense and its head coach while only gaining a midseason transfer who barely played, a top 100 wing, and untested PG who is back from injury. Its not a far jump from that analysis to predicting a 9th place finish.

On one level, its understandable. We can't expect amateur writers who basically do this stuff for fun to know the specifics of our team like Marquette being desperate for scoring PG. Getting Carlino solved that problem and potentially cures what really ailed this team.

However, at least get your facts straight. Noskowiak coming in next season? Bush league.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2014, 01:21:27 PM »
I think the most accurate prediction for the Big East standings next season is

1. Villanova
2. Crapshoot
3. Crapshoot
4. Crapshoot
5. Crapshoot
6. Crapshoot
7. Crapshoot
8. Crapshoot
9. Crapshoot
10. Depaul
TAMU

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2014, 04:44:18 PM »
1) Bleacher Report is terrible and I never give credence to anything written there.

2) I don't think he's far off. I would switch providence and Butler in his rankings, but besides that it's not far off in my opinion.

3) But I of course don't expect Marquette fans to feel that way nor do I expect to convince anyone otherwise.

4) I think Marquette is one of the bigger question marks in the conference. They could finish 9th, but they could also finish in the top 4 and make the NCAAs. I think they're closer to the former than the latter, but I'm always skeptical of brand new coaches. Marquette lost a lot from last years team, the entire front court and your only 3 point shooter.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2014, 04:44:34 PM »
1) Bleacher Report is terrible and I never give credence to anything written there.

2) I don't think he's far off. I would switch providence and Butler in his rankings, but besides that it's not far off in my opinion.

3) But I of course don't expect Marquette fans to feel that way nor do I expect to convince anyone otherwise.

4) I think Marquette is one of the bigger question marks in the conference. They could finish 9th, but they could also finish in the top 4 and make the NCAAs. I think they're closer to the former than the latter, but I'm always skeptical of brand new coaches. Marquette lost a lot from last years team, the entire front court and your only consistent 3 point shooter.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2014, 04:53:45 PM »
Besides DePaul fans I might be the only one who thinks DePaul does not finish in last place this year. I am not sure who I would put there, but I think it will not be DePaul.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2014, 07:35:13 PM »

Never, always, every, etc...words without purpose.

BR has a lot of really sh!tty stuff, then again they also have some good stuff from competent writers, so putting them in the never ever category doesn't work for me. 

Regardless, it's it in the echo chamber of what people read, what recruits might read, and certainly what others might take as gospel.  Perceptions can become realities.  Best to know what is out there than to merely dismiss it.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2014, 07:56:02 PM »
Regardless, it's it in the echo chamber of what people read, what recruits might read, and certainly what others might take as gospel.  Perceptions can become realities.  Best to know what is out there than to merely dismiss it.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think you need to start threads about slideshows of this nature. (i.e., when a young boy slideshows nonsense and a quick look at it should tell you the boy is talking about that which he doesn't know [i.e., 'facts' are way off].) This is an example of one that all Scoopers need not know about...

But, I know you get twinkly-eyed when you see "reputable" (in your eyes) sources like "BR" or "ESPN". smh 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2014, 08:58:11 PM »

BR has a lot of really sh!tty stuff, then again they also have some good stuff from competent writers, so putting them in the never ever category doesn't work for me. 

Never is what should be used in relation to BR.  By giving the site recognition by reading any of the drivel there, one gives credibility to a bunch of people who defile everything that is supposed to be true about journalism.  Fact based analysis, intensive research, accurate reporting.

The fact that sites like that exist are part of the problem we have nowadays with uninformed people gaining credibility and people believing the information reported by them.

A great example is famous people, like Jenny McCarthy, who are given a platform that is respected (Oprah) and then people believing things like vaccines cause autism and causing lots of kids to go unvaccinated and lead to a return of once dead diseases. 

GurneeHitchkr

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2014, 09:01:09 PM »
Looking back at the past few years, every time we were picked to be "bad" and finish in the bottom half of the conference, we exceeded expectations and finished well (remember our first year in the BE?).  Last year, we were picked to win it and...well...you know what happened.  I think most would rather be the underdog and prove everyone wrong, than be picked the frontrunner and have to live up to expectations.  No matter the source, let them put us down low in the predictions, then we'll be talked about when we're at the top (hopefully).

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2014, 09:08:52 PM »

Do you work for bleacher report or something? Most people do not respect BR or it's content. Not sure why you're on a 1 man PR campaign to change people's minds. Maybe they've gotten a few well respected writers to contribute as you claim. But they have a long uphill battle to be an actual good source of news. I also personally hate the slide show lay out of their stories.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2014, 09:29:20 PM »
I think the most accurate prediction for the Big East standings next season is

1. Villanova
2. Crapshoot
3. Crapshoot
4. Crapshoot
5. Crapshoot
6. Crapshoot
7. Crapshoot
8. Crapshoot
9. Crapshoot
10. Depaul
11.* Dayton

Fixed
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2014, 01:47:16 PM »
Industry report that came out today entitled "Young Adult TV Usage - Myth vs Reality" had some interesting online information.

Bleacher Report is #2 sports website for 18 to 24 year old (regardless of gender), trailing only ESPN.  For women (18-24), it was 4th for sports websites.

We may not like it, but people are consuming it, especially young adults.

Top 5 Sports Websites Age 18-24 All
1) ESPN
2) Bleacher Report
3) NBC Sports Network
4) USA Today
5) Fox Sports on MSN

April 2014 Comscore

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 06:55:45 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2014, 01:56:31 PM »
Industry report that came out today entitled "Young Adult TV Usage - Myth vs Reality" had some interesting online information.

Bleacher Report is #2 sports website for 18 to 24 year old (regardless of gender), trailing only ESPN.  For women (18-24), it was 4th for sports websites.

We may not like it, but people are consuming it, especially young adults.
We need to find someone to be the Marquette Bleacher Report beat writer. Michigan State has a guy, Adam Biggers, that writes for Bleacher Report and  sees everything through rose colored glasses.

The guys at Anonymous Eagle  and Paint Touches do a very good job in that format. Maybe one of them can re-purpose their work for Bleacher Report.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2014, 03:20:57 PM »
We need to find someone to be the Marquette Bleacher Report beat writer. Michigan State has a guy, Adam Biggers, that writes for Bleacher Report and  sees everything through rose colored glasses.

The guys at Anonymous Eagle  and Paint Touches do a very good job in that format. Maybe one of them can re-purpose their work for Bleacher Report.
I nominate NERS, since we like to argue with him already.

TheBurrEffect

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2014, 05:28:57 PM »
Looks like the "key players leaving" is just a copy + paste of all the seniors rofl.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2014, 06:48:58 PM »
I understand what you're saying, but I don't think you need to start threads about slideshows of this nature. (i.e., when a young boy slideshows nonsense and a quick look at it should tell you the boy is talking about that which he doesn't know [i.e., 'facts' are way off].) This is an example of one that all Scoopers need not know about...

But, I know you get twinkly-eyed when you see "reputable" (in your eyes) sources like "BR" or "ESPN". smh 

I consider the authors of certain works reputable, not the news organization they work for. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2014, 06:53:18 PM »
Do you work for bleacher report or something? Most people do not respect BR or it's content. Not sure why you're on a 1 man PR campaign to change people's minds. Maybe they've gotten a few well respected writers to contribute as you claim. But they have a long uphill battle to be an actual good source of news. I also personally hate the slide show lay out of their stories.

Nope, don't work for them.  Yes, I said in the VERY FIRST post that I'm not wild about BR, I'm just not ignoring what people read and consume. 

Dumbing down \ low information society been going on for a long time, but that doesn't mean I ignore it.  If you don't know who the people are that are consuming products, what they are reading, watching, consuming on a daily basis, you are behind the 8 ball.  Ignore if you wish.  It doesn't make them right, doesn't make your wrong, in fact I side with you on this, but you and I can say that all day until the cows come home as educated people, but that doesn't always square up with what people believe or think is correct, especially in their daily lives.  Divorce rate is 50%.  Nope, but the vast majority of Americans think it is because they read it or heard it somewhere and it is perpetuated time and time again.

MUchamp22

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2014, 06:55:36 PM »
This article is laughable and I agree with TAMU the Big East is an absolute crapshoot right now. Plus making predictions this far from the season is a mistake every sports outlet falls into, they are never very accurate.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2014, 10:13:00 AM »
Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein    26m
14-15 Big East Preseason Power Rankings: 1. Villanova 2. SJU 3. Gtown 4. Xavier 5. PC 6. Butler 7. SHU 8. Creighton 9. Marquette 10. DePaul

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2014, 10:15:37 AM »
Good thing we're not in the old BE, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2014, 10:35:36 AM »
14-15 Big East Preseason Power Rankings: 1. Villanova 2. SJU 3. Gtown 4. Xavier 5. PC 6. Butler 7. SHU 8. Creighton 9. Marquette 10. DePaul

SJU, ha.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2014, 12:00:14 PM »

Not far off from what I personally think:

1. Villanova
2. St. John's
3. Georgetown
4. Xavier
5. Seton Hall
6. Marquette
7. Providence
8. Butler
9. Creighton
10. Depaul

But again, 2-9 are a crapshoot
TAMU

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2014, 12:10:43 PM »
Not far off from what I personally think:

1. Villanova
2. St. John's
3. Georgetown
4. Xavier
5. Seton Hall
6. Marquette
7. Providence
8. Butler
9. Creighton
10. Depaul

But again, 2-9 are a crapshoot

I like the BR prediction.  I felt quite uneasy last year when Marquette finally got some respect and got picked for first.  It turned out I (and many others) were correct there.  That's not to say that this will be the year when an unrespected MU squad fights its way into the top two.  I see some where middle of the pack.

Question:  How can anyone who follows college basketball, at all, miss how much Creighton lost this year?  They must all think that that McDermott is the only one who left.  Wragge is almost as important.  Wragge and the other two are together a bigger loss than McDermott will be alone.  The way I see it, Creighton is replacing the equivalent of two players of the year.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2014, 12:27:40 PM »
I like the BR prediction.  I felt quite uneasy last year when Marquette finally got some respect and got picked for first.  It turned out I (and many others) were correct there.  That's not to say that this will be the year when an unrespected MU squad fights its way into the top two.  I see some where middle of the pack.

Question:  How can anyone who follows college basketball, at all, miss how much Creighton lost this year?  They must all think that that McDermott is the only one who left.  Wragge is almost as important.  Wragge and the other two are together a bigger loss than McDermott will be alone.  The way I see it, Creighton is replacing the equivalent of two players of the year.

Creighton is certainly losing a lot. But not as much as you may think. They are losing 65% of their offense. That is the most in the Big East. But they are pretty close to Seton Hall (53%), Xavier (54%), Depaul (56%), Marquette (56%), and Providence (59%).
TAMU

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2014, 02:16:14 PM »
Creighton is certainly losing a lot. But not as much as you may think. They are losing 65% of their offense. That is the most in the Big East. But they are pretty close to Seton Hall (53%), Xavier (54%), Depaul (56%), Marquette (56%), and Providence (59%).
The attention McDermott drew from the defenses had a lot to do with Creighton getting open shots. I do not think the percentage lost matters in this case. The loss is bigger than that.

feedback