[Today at 06:55:14 PM]

MU all-time defensive team? by wadesworld
[Today at 06:54:34 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 05:53:38 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Uncle Rico
[Today at 02:52:17 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Louis Zamperini  (Read 21440 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Louis Zamperini
« on: July 03, 2014, 06:18:31 PM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2014/07/03/louis-zamperini-olympic-runner-world-war-ii-veteran-dies/12132699/

MU connection is some what of a stretch: competed in the Berlin Olympics with Ralph Metcalfe.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Louis Zamperini
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 07:44:36 PM »
This guy is a genuine American hero. The son of Italian immigrants he didn't speak English until he started school but ended matriculating from USC on a track scholarship. Zamperini ran in the '36 Olympics and his kick so amazed Hitler that Der Fuhrer asked to meet him.

He was a scope dope on B 24's and was imprisoned after his ship went down in the SW Pacific. There is a magnificent book chronicling his life and ordeal as a POW, Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. A compelling story.   

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 07:48:30 PM »
Another traditional?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 08:54:00 PM »
This guy is a genuine American hero. The son of Italian immigrants he didn't speak English until he started school but ended matriculating from USC on a track scholarship. Zamperini ran in the '36 Olympics and his kick so amazed Hitler that Der Fuhrer asked to meet him.

He was a scope dope on B 24's and was imprisoned after his ship went down in the SW Pacific. There is a magnificent book chronicling his life and ordeal as a POW, Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. A compelling story.   

Indeed--47 days adrift at sea and then the torture of a series of Japanese prison camps where he became the favorite target of a couple of particlarly sadistic guards.  A difficult post war adjustment and life.  Tome, the most amazing part of his story may be that he lived to 97 after all that he went through. 

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 08:57:36 PM »
Speaking of American heroes, I finally just read Lone Survivor.  Made hiking in the Canadian Rockies a much less whiny experience for my family.  Hard to complain about sore calves from a 6 hour hike when reading about what Marcus Lutrell survived.  Hooyah.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 10:22:33 PM »
Speaking of American heroes, I finally just read Lone Survivor.  Made hiking in the Canadian Rockies a much less whiny experience for my family.  Hard to complain about sore calves from a 6 hour hike when reading about what Marcus Lutrell survived.  Hooyah.

Those guys are in a league of their own. Truly. I knew Erik Christensen. He was destined for stars.  People should reflect on their sacrifice tomorrow.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 07:15:58 AM »

Great book...great man...great life.

This is one of my favorite pics from that book.  He was youthful and optimistic until the end.  Great lesson for how to live a long, healthy and meaningful life.

http://www.e-reading.ws/illustrations/1008/1008497-_58.jpg

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 11:55:02 AM »

Great book...great man...great life.

This is one of my favorite pics from that book.  He was youthful and optimistic until the end.  Great lesson for how to live a long, healthy and meaningful life.

http://www.e-reading.ws/illustrations/1008/1008497-_58.jpg

That is the perfect image. I would have really loved to have had a beer with that man. Better yet, some single malt, a couple gars, and just letting him speak. A genuine American hero of humble origin whose life articulated valor, honor, service, courage, hope, and forgiveness.

Death on call

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 12:32:16 PM »
That is the perfect image. I would have really loved to have had a beer with that man. Better yet, some single malt, a couple gars, and just letting him speak. A genuine American hero of humble origin whose life articulated valor, honor, service, courage, hope, and forgiveness.

Yup I'm sure he would have loved hearing how amazing your life has been. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 01:05:26 PM »

Amen.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 06:02:31 PM »

Keefe, my wife and I do it every year...today was the day.  Our town has a big 4th of July deal in the morning and a breakfast for the vets.  Not many of the WWII guys around anymore, in fact very few.  They come with their VFW caps and the Kiwanis serve them pancakes, coffee, juice.  I just enjoy the conversation.  Love hearing about this country from them...though it also scares the hell out of me with how they feel the direction it is going.  A few of them say things like "this is what we fought for"?  Ugh.  Pains me. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 06:41:25 PM »
Keefe, my wife and I do it every year...today was the day.  Our town has a big 4th of July deal in the morning and a breakfast for the vets.  Not many of the WWII guys around anymore, in fact very few.  They come with their VFW caps and the Kiwanis serve them pancakes, coffee, juice.  I just enjoy the conversation.  Love hearing about this country from them...though it also scares the hell out of me with how they feel the direction it is going.  A few of them say things like "this is what we fought for"?  Ugh.  Pains me. 

Yeah...I'm sure they do.   ::)

brandx

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 07:23:07 PM »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 07:47:47 PM »
Not many of the WWII guys around anymore, in fact very few. 

It is sad how so few of them are left. Brokaw certainly got it right about that generation of men and women. Like Louie Zamperini, most were raised with little material wealth but were given solid core moral and ethical values that enabled sacrifice and commitment. The world would be very different if not for their courage.

Death on call

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 08:20:01 PM »
It is sad how so few of them are left. Brokaw certainly got it right about that generation of men and women. Like Louie Zamperini, most were raised with little material wealth but were given solid core moral and ethical values that enabled sacrifice and commitment. The world would be very different if not for their courage.

My dad, father-in-law and my mom were WWII vets. I lost my dad to alzheimers in 2010, he was 92. We fly their burial flags proudly on Memorial Day, the 4th and on Veterans Day.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2014, 08:22:32 PM »

A movie based on the book will be released this December.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2014, 09:36:18 PM »
My dad, father-in-law and my mom were WWII vets. I lost my dad to alzheimers in 2010, he was 92. We fly their burial flags proudly on Memorial Day, the 4th and on Veterans Day.

America has not been so fully immersed in a cause of any kind as it was in the Civil War and WW II. I often reflect as I drive around Seattle that my war has little to no impact on the day to day lives of people here. While people express thanks and such the reality of that fight is as alien as Sanskrit to everyday Americans.

WW II was different because an entire nation put down civilian tools and either picked up a weapon or was involved in making them. What is fascinating is that an entire generation did this without protest or question because there was a clear and present danger and ordinary people knew they had to rise to the occasion. Civilians went through rationing and Joes knew that they were signing up for the duration.

We lived in a Microsoft community and people often asked my wife what the Blue Star Flag in the window was for. During WW II there was likely not one block in America that did not have at least one Blue Star and Gold Star flag in a window. In a sad commentary, our local police made a point of keeping an eye on things when I was deployed and the police chief actually suggested to my wife that she remove the Blue Star since burglars nationwide have targeted these homes. She refused and kept it there through six deployments.

Death on call

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2014, 10:14:44 PM »
This thread reminds me of the dad of former Milwaukee Mayor, John Norquist, who was captured and imprisoned at Camp O'Donnell after surviving the Bataan Death March. He released a memoir of his days at Camp O'Donnell during my years at MU. The book was based on a 550(!) page diary he amazingly kept during his internment.

A quick write-up on him and something precious he carried with him on the March (starts on page 2):
http://philippine-defenders.lib.wv.us/QuanNews/quan1900s/quan1980s/september_1982_quan.pdf
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 10:18:12 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2014, 11:08:45 PM »
This thread reminds me of the dad of former Milwaukee Mayor, John Norquist, who was captured and imprisoned at Camp O'Donnell after surviving the Bataan Death March. He released a memoir of his days at Camp O'Donnell during my years at MU. The book was based on a 550(!) page diary he amazingly kept during his internment.

A quick write-up on him and something precious he carried with him on the March (starts on page 2):
http://philippine-defenders.lib.wv.us/QuanNews/quan1900s/quan1980s/september_1982_quan.pdf

Wow, that's fabulous stuff. A key observation of Norquist's is that he also remembers the good from that experience. In SAR/SERE training it's called 'small victories.' The human spirit is astounding.

Thanks for sharing that.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2014, 10:47:48 AM »

Yeah...I'm sure they do.   ::)

Are you calling them liars?  WOW

They were upset at the current VA stuff, and who can blame them.  Also not happy with the immigration craziness.  As one reminded all of us, this is a nation of laws, not of men. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2014, 10:49:59 AM »

Yup, that was part of their point each and every year that we go.  Entitlement today compared to what it was back then is always a common theme.  They worry greatly about the lack of sacrifice and general direction of things.  I'm sure some posters here will chalk that up as just old dudes, but I tend to take the words of wisdom from these men with great respect.  I certainly don't imply they are liars.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2014, 10:57:41 AM »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2014, 11:24:51 AM »
The WW2 Vets are dying at a rate of 555/day now.

If anyone gets to Nawlins it is well worth the time to visit the WW2 Museum there. If I recall correctly, a leading force behind its creation was Stephen Ambrose. New Orleans was chosen as it was where the Higgins boats were created and manufactured - these were the iconic landing craft that symbolized America and Britain going on the offensive and beating back tyranny. A superb choice in my opinion.

http://www.nationalww2museum.org/honor/wwii-veterans-statistics.html

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2014, 12:56:15 PM »
A movie based on the book will be released this December.

I will be first in line for it when it opens. The writers have a wealth of material to work with.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2014, 02:57:20 PM »
Are you calling them liars?  WOW

There is someone I am calling a liar....but it's not them.