'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wally Ellenson Transferring to MU and Playing Basketball  (Read 32425 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Wally Ellenson Transferring to MU and Playing Basketball
« Reply #100 on: July 02, 2014, 05:23:33 PM »
So.... Not to interrupt the whole matter of whether or not race determines basketball talent/intelligence and/or recruiting rankings determine win/loss record, but...

When does Henry plan on making his college decision?  Is it to be this summer or the fall?

How many open scholarships do we have available right now?  1?

I believe two left. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #101 on: July 02, 2014, 05:27:23 PM »
Honestly, I had to look it up because I don't care or pay attention to what color a team is.  I don't give a crap, can the players play or not.

But, in looking it up, Duke, a few years ago and they beat Butler, another predominantly white team.  Wisconsin missed playing for it all just a few months ago because Kentucky hit a shot with less than 6 seconds left. 

It seems people are making this assumption based on what you see from skin color, not on ability.  Imagine how many people 15 years ago would say an African American can't win the majority of the time at golf.  It's about ability.  Sports is a the true meritocracy. 
no one (in their right mind) would disagree, but just from a numbers standpoint...supply and demand...the numbers are interesting. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #102 on: July 02, 2014, 05:36:38 PM »
So.... Not to interrupt the whole matter of whether or not race determines basketball talent/intelligence and/or recruiting rankings determine win/loss record, but...

When does Henry plan on making his college decision?  Is it to be this summer or the fall?

How many open scholarships do we have available right now?  1?

I put a link up a few days ago, he says he will trim his list in the Fall.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #103 on: July 02, 2014, 05:51:40 PM »
no one (in their right mind) would disagree, but just from a numbers standpoint...supply and demand...the numbers are interesting. 

Honestly the only time I've cared is with UW-madison and that is much more about Madison's BS about being progressive and the holier-than-thou pontification, when Madison is one of the most lily-white cities I've ever been too.  So it comes across as funny more than anything as they preach one thing, but look something totally different.

What bothers me with ThatDude's comments is that they are racial in nature, quite frankly.  I'll have to go back into the search function, but I thought it was him or someone else here that was all bent on people here for not wanting Cuonzo Martin as coach and "the card" was played as a result.  The implication that some didn't want him for such reasons.  The great irony, of course, is the people that didn't want Martin were ecstatic to have Shaka Smart as head coach, whom last I checked doesn't look like Red Auerbach.  Yet that didn't stop this person (again, I'll have to check who it was) from playing "that card". 

Fast forward to the last few weeks when some of the recruits landed don't fit their idea of what a basketball player is supposed to look like, there's no problem throwing "the card" around.  Then I read ancillary things here like certain folks can't be racist because they are not in a privileged class and exempt...sorry, but anyone can be racist, intentionally or unintentionally.  I don't think it was necessarily with malice, but the point is that the card is used way too much in society and at times seems to be used by folks that don't even know they are using it in the reverse.

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #104 on: July 02, 2014, 06:02:32 PM »
Silly darn decision.  Doesn't he realize that Richard Pitino is an ESPN top 50 coach?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2014, 06:05:19 PM »
Put the shoe on the other foot for a second. Imagine people here were clamoring for more white players. How would you feel about that? Now look at what you are saying.  Try to make an honest effort to tell us why your opinion isn't hideously racist.

That's precisely what Chicos started doing 4 years ago.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #106 on: July 02, 2014, 06:08:10 PM »
Honestly the only time I've cared is with UW-madison and that is much more about Madison's BS about being progressive and the holier-than-thou pontification, when Madison is one of the most lily-white cities I've ever been too.  So it comes across as funny more than anything as they preach one thing, but look something totally different.

What bothers me with ThatDude's comments is that they are racial in nature, quite frankly.  I'll have to go back into the search function, but I thought it was him or someone else here that was all bent on people here for not wanting Cuonzo Martin as coach and "the card" was played as a result.  The implication that some didn't want him for such reasons.  The great irony, of course, is the people that didn't want Martin were ecstatic to have Shaka Smart as head coach, whom last I checked doesn't look like Red Auerbach.  Yet that didn't stop this person (again, I'll have to check who it was) from playing "that card". 

Fast forward to the last few weeks when some of the recruits landed don't fit their idea of what a basketball player is supposed to look like, there's no problem throwing "the card" around.  Then I read ancillary things here like certain folks can't be racist because they are not in a privileged class and exempt...sorry, but anyone can be racist, intentionally or unintentionally.  I don't think it was necessarily with malice, but the point is that the card is used way too much in society and at times seems to be used by folks that don't even know they are using it in the reverse.

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

It was a different poster, unless he changed his name for the second time.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #107 on: July 02, 2014, 06:18:03 PM »

Contrary to what you may believe im not pissed I just happen to know basketball and I know that a majority white team doesnt win championships in D1 basketball

No, but they can play in the NCAA championship game in back to back years.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #108 on: July 02, 2014, 06:38:10 PM »
I've always said that the MU coach needs to get:
a) the best player (or two) from Wisconsin each year
b) one of the top 5 from Chicago
c) top 100 from the rest of US/Canada to fill in position needs

... and that this would be a winning combo.

Wojo has locked up the first item... with Cohen, Burton, Fischer, and Duane (and now Ellenson) PLUS Flory and Noskowiak.
Chicago - Taylor / Levin
The rest - we'll see... not a lot of remaining position needs with the group he has recruited!

Nice job Wojo!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #109 on: July 02, 2014, 06:43:09 PM »
At the end of the day im a marquette fan and im gonna cheer for my team regardless. I just dont think we'll be relevent with these players that wojo is recruiting.

You are a racist that should be banned immediately. You make generalizations based on race without taking into account skills or character. You are assuming that since wojo is a clean cut white boy from duke that he won't recruit black kids. This is the same coach that convinced all the black players on our team to stay despite many of them planning to leave when buzz was here. He also convinced Cohen to stay with the team. Yes, he made the mistake of signing some highly touted white guys but have you noticed the majority of our outstanding offers are to black kids? What makes you think that this is becoming an all white team?

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #110 on: July 02, 2014, 07:05:49 PM »
You are a racist that should be banned immediately. You make generalizations based on race without taking into account skills or character. You are assuming that since wojo is a clean cut white boy from duke that he won't recruit black kids. This is the same coach that convinced all the black players on our team to stay despite many of them planning to leave when buzz was here. He also convinced Cohen to stay with the team. Yes, he made the mistake of signing some highly touted white guys but have you noticed the majority of our outstanding offers are to black kids? What makes you think that this is becoming an all white team?

Amen.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 07:25:47 PM by Heavy Gear »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #111 on: July 02, 2014, 07:32:07 PM »
Just read the Rodent board. The thing that irked me the most though was being called a mid major over and over again.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #112 on: July 02, 2014, 07:32:33 PM »
#35 looks 50 years old

That's what PEDs will do to ya, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

chapman

• All American
« Reply #113 on: July 02, 2014, 08:00:33 PM »
Guess this means we have the inroads for Henry.  Still don't like the play of two scholarships with one low D1 talent to land one star.  Though it's not like it's an impossible burden to not have 13 top 100 recruits on the roster, so I will deal.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #114 on: July 02, 2014, 08:01:52 PM »
Guess this means we have the inroads for Henry.  Still don't like the play of two scholarships with one low D1 talent to land one star.  Though it's not like it's an impossible burden to not have 13 top 100 recruits on the roster, so I will deal.

Wally is better than his stats show from Minnesota.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #115 on: July 02, 2014, 08:02:16 PM »
Just read the Rodent board. The thing that irked me the most though was being called a mid major over and over again.

The clueless will often post stupid things.

The argument must be that any school without a football team is a mid major.....even though MU has better facilities, spends more on hoops, has better attendance and has had more success in mens basketball then most schools with high major football programs.

I mean the argument is so dumb it is hardly worth responding to......

"we lost a recruit.....Man I hate those mid major scumbags at Marquette!"  Well done....very impressive.....

They just can't stand the idea that every kid in this state doesn't grow up wanting to go to UW.......it really is sad....

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #116 on: July 02, 2014, 08:04:49 PM »

I guess we are going to find out...but even if he isn't lots of recruits don't work out.....kind of like the NFL/NBA draft.....

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #117 on: July 02, 2014, 08:19:52 PM »

He's played 110 total minutes in 2 years. He'll have to be better to make a contribution.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #118 on: July 02, 2014, 08:34:22 PM »

If he can produce a Dan Fitzgerald-level of impact as a transfer-in that will be enough to satisfy me.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #119 on: July 02, 2014, 08:34:55 PM »
They just can't stand the idea that every kid in this state doesn't grow up wanting to go to UW.......it really is sad....

That's Vadger arrogance for ya.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #120 on: July 02, 2014, 10:16:20 PM »
are there really any bigger turd fans in basketball than badger fans?

- Mocking the Heldt commit - really?    Where did Kaminsky come from?   How was he rated in high school?   Well, I guess they would know the downside with Anderson, Markhoff and Gavinski

- Trashing parents of MU players - real class...

- The inferiority complex from being a good program just since 2000 really trips them up.   

Have some class Bucky fans...

The clueless will often post stupid things.

The argument must be that any school without a football team is a mid major.....even though MU has better facilities, spends more on hoops, has better attendance and has had more success in mens basketball then most schools with high major football programs.

I mean the argument is so dumb it is hardly worth responding to......

"we lost a recruit.....Man I hate those mid major scumbags at Marquette!"  Well done....very impressive.....

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #121 on: July 02, 2014, 10:26:49 PM »

Have some class

Physician heal thyself!

Death on call

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #122 on: July 02, 2014, 10:32:13 PM »
I would respond better to a haiku or large format images of Israeli military women included in the message  (forgive me for typing this from my large unsustainable house)....

Physician heal thyself!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 10:35:08 PM by madtownwarrior »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #123 on: July 02, 2014, 10:38:33 PM »
And Maymon, though less of a steal than Vander.  And Burton.  And Wilson. 
No idea how high the bad-gers were on them.

Funny how MU lands the non-white players. ;)

I don't care if we land the aliens from Space Jam, as long as we win the damn championship!!!
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #124 on: July 02, 2014, 10:45:59 PM »

Well, most of them would know....keep in mind that half of them went to UW Waukesha, Osh Kosh, Marathon County or Stout.

It must irk them that they are losing recruits to a mid major.

feedback