Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Parrish: Why Buzz Left for VT  (Read 18391 times)

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
Parrish: Why Buzz Left for VT
« on: June 19, 2014, 10:29:01 AM »
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24592329/new-faces-new-places-why-did-buzz-williams-leave-marquette-for-vtu?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Fascinating stuff in this well-written piece.

"The way Buzz thinks is different," Chew said. "He just thinks differently."

"Simply put, once Williams decided to go into what he called an "information-gathering mode," his mind wouldn't rest until he had more data than you can imagine. He projected the likelihood of basketball programs not connected to football programs flourishing over the next 10 years in this ever-changing climate of college athletics. He studied how many programs succeed at a high level without some sort of ESPN contract. He estimated whether it was reasonable to expect the next six years at Marquette would duplicate or exceed the previous six. He researched every coach who has been at a high-major program for at least eight seasons to the point where he learned that staying in the same place too long in this era -- especially when you'll be inheriting a new athletic director soon, like he would've been at Marquette -- proves to be a mistake more often than not for most men."

"The second interesting thing was how often Williams began a sentence in that meeting with the words "when they fire me" because I've never heard a coach, particularly a successful one who has never been on the so-called hot seat, speak that way, especially not a coach with a fresh contract. And yet he said it over and over again."

"When they fire me. When they fire me. When they fire me."

We all knew what Buzz was about while he was here.  There is a fine line between genius and insanity.  With that being said, and as I have previously stated, I will still root for him (and Crean) at their new schools.  He did a lot of good things here.

Besides, we now have the Wojo Warriors to root for! 

GGGG

• All American
Re: Parrish: Why Buzz Left for VT
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 10:34:21 AM »
Not a single word in this article surprises me.  And it was never a surprise to me why he left Marquette for VPI.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 10:45:52 AM »
Not a single word in this article surprises me.  And it was never a surprise to me why he left Marquette for VPI.

I'd say it is fair to assume Buzz doesn't like being a front runner...has been an underdog his whole life...being at the top, and being expected to maintain that...probably is too much pressure for such an OCD individual..who also thrives in the underdog role.

Ironically, last season, he was for once given the respect he felt he was due, by his fellow coaches in the Big East...projected to win conference....and he turned in the biggest bomb of his 6 years at Marquette....and it was a bomb of epic proportions...given the talent he had on the roster....that...incidentally he put together.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 10:49:26 AM »
God, I'm glad he's gone. All his toughness BS rings so hollow.

Have fun with him, VPI.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 10:52:22 AM »
So basically, Buzz was scared.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 10:54:09 AM »
I'd say it is fair to assume Buzz doesn't like being a front runner...has been an underdog his whole life...being at the top, and being expected to maintain that...probably is too much pressure for such an OCD individual..who also thrives in the underdog role.

Ironically, last season, he was for once given the respect he felt he was due, by his fellow coaches in the Big East...projected to win conference....and he turned in the biggest bomb of his 6 years at Marquette....and it was a bomb of epic proportions...given the talent he had on the roster....that...incidentally he put together.

Agree.  He fought so hard for success and respect, he didn't know how to handle it once he got there.  

mugoose

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 11:00:07 AM »
The obsession that Parrish has with Buzz is odd.

Buzz has never played in the National Championship game...never even been to the Final Four...yet GP writes about Buzz 6-8 times a year. It's weird.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 11:07:30 AM »
For every Buzz who will never be satisfied with his position, there's a Shaka who is dedicated to his program and university.
SS Marquette

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 11:07:43 AM »

Buzz has never played in the National Championship game...never even been to the Final Four...yet GP writes about Buzz 6-8 times a year. It's weird

I tend to think its just that Buzz is one of the more colorful coaches in college basketball...he is a great interview (so long as Buzz likes the journalist)...his self professed weirdness and such provides great quotes/soundbites, etc.  Perhaps nothing more.  I enjoyed his colorful personality...sideline dances, half court two steps, etc...he was awesome at his best....yet became insufferable last year at his worst.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 11:11:46 AM »
For every Buzz who will never be satisfied with his position, there's a Shaka who is dedicated to his program and university.

I think a better way of putting it is "For every Buzz who is constantly seeking comfort, there is a Shaka who sees comfort where he is."

Remember Shaka would be at MU if we would have done more to get him. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 11:19:19 AM »
For every insecure Buzz, there's a Boeheim, Coach K, Greg Kampe, Bob McKillop, Stew Morrill (HA!), Rick Barnes (Double HA!), etc.

Coaches who have weathered storms and by doing so, helped define who they are, make their comeback successes sweeter and reveal their character.

""See, it goes Grover Cleveland, then Benjamin Harrison, then Grover Cleveland," Williams said. "Grover Cleveland did it twice. He's the only President that you count twice.""

FDR...FDR...FDR...FDR That's four.

Reagan, Reagan
Clinton, Clinton
GHWBush, GHWBush
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 11:28:25 AM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 11:28:01 AM »

You can have Shaka.  Half the success and twice the diva of Buzzard.

#AllInOnWojo
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 11:29:34 AM »
You can have Shaka.  Half the success and twice the diva of Buzzard.

#AllInOnWojo

Not extolling Shaka, but he sticks by his A10 team. A program that doesn't have a top 5 budget.
A program that is hard to win at. A program he helped craft and define.
SS Marquette

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 11:32:49 AM »
I think Buzz is motivated by an immense fear of failure.

He decided to get out while he was ahead, because he was so afraid at failing to live up to expectations he had set.

It all makes a lot of sense.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 11:33:09 AM »
"Simply put, once Williams decided to go into what he called an "information-gathering mode," his mind wouldn't rest until he had more data than you can imagine. He projected the likelihood of basketball programs not connected to football programs flourishing over the next 10 years in this ever-changing climate of college athletics. He studied how many programs succeed at a high level without some sort of ESPN contract. He estimated whether it was reasonable to expect the next six years at Marquette would duplicate or exceed the previous six. He researched every coach who has been at a high-major program for at least eight seasons to the point where he learned that staying in the same place too long in this era -- especially when you'll be inheriting a new athletic director soon, like he would've been at Marquette -- proves to be a mistake more often than not for most men."

I work in the investment business and I see this type of flawed analysis all the time.  Simply put Buzz wasted his time seeing how thing have worked and assumes nothing will ever change and the past will keep repeating over and over.

----

Will ESPN have the same clout and influence over the next 10 years?  Will Fox Sports remain second tier sports channel or will it do to sports programming what Fox News did to cable news?  Will basketball only schools maintain their relative position to football schools over the next 10 years?  Will the BE and the ACC maintain their relative positions over the next 10 years?

I don't know the answer to these questions but it seems that Buzz is assuming nothing ever changes and that is a bad bet.

If Buzz worked in the investment field, he would be a technical analyst
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 11:35:58 AM by Heisenberg »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 11:33:34 AM »
Not extolling Shaka, but he sticks by his A10 team. A program that doesn't have a top 5 budget.
A program that is hard to win at. A program he helped craft and define.

The two coaches previous to him both won there, and his most successful season was largely with players his predecessor recruited.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a good coach, but I am not sure that he built that program.  And in fact he may regret not leaving earlier for many of the reasons that Buzz was concerned about.

leever

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 11:35:31 AM »
""See, it goes Grover Cleveland, then Benjamin Harrison, then Grover Cleveland," Williams said. "Grover Cleveland did it twice. He's the only President that you count twice.""

FDR...FDR...FDR...FDR That's four.

Reagan, Reagan
Clinton, Clinton
GHWBush, GHWBush
[/quote]

You do see the difference here, right?  He's not talking about Presidents who served consecutive terms.  Cleveland served twice with a Harrison thrown in between.

When does basketball season start again?

GOO

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 11:36:28 AM »

Buzz has never played in the National Championship game...never even been to the Final Four...yet GP writes about Buzz 6-8 times a year. It's weird.

He is Buzz's guy to get Buzz info out.  This likely means Buzz is a bit obsessed with the questions he gets on why he left MU for VTech.  Kind of sad, really, that Buzz can't just move on.
Buzz saw the writing on the wall.  With the likely transfers if he stayed, an administration/board that was pushing him out, I think he would have been gone next year with MU moving on.  He wins, but wasn't doing it the MU way, unfortunately.  And I like Buzz.  He took the first decent job he could land this year. Buzz is a survivor and did what he had to do.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 11:37:36 AM »
Just as I've always said, (mostly to the guy who insists that they're all the same) Buzz IS different. Weird is part of the different. And maybe so is his difficulty with dealing with the monster (success) that he created at Marquette (the next 6 years will tell that tale). He's also genuine and generous. Certainly not perfect, but a guy trying to make a difference. I'll root for him, just as I did for Rick, KO and Deane after they left Marquette.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 11:40:25 AM »
watch the video clip at that link, more in there from Parrish like Buzz filing FOIA for every public college in Div 1 to get copies of their contracts for football and basketball

what did Brent supposedly do? Write notes to 4 people everyday or something? Heck that was probably FOIA not notes
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 11:56:32 AM by Chucklehead »

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2014, 11:43:22 AM »
I find it interesting that Isaac Chew (who is a well-known and respected Chicago recruiter) took less money as well to go with him to Blacksburg.  I'm sure he could have gotten a sweet deal from one of the B1G schools.  Not sure how many kids from Chicago will want to go to VA Tech.

I also find it interesting that Brad Autry, one of his most loyal assistants, is still without a job.  Did Buzz not offer him a position?  Did Brad not feel comfortable following him?  I don't think Brad currently has a position.

Bottom line, our coaching staff would beat there's in a pickup basketball game.  

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2014, 11:43:25 AM »
He is Buzz's guy to get Buzz info out.  

I thought Goodman and Doyel were "Buzz's guys".

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2014, 11:43:49 AM »
So basically, Buzz was scared.

Not only got scared, but then panicked.  The concerns laid out in the Parrish article are all valid and legit knocks against the MU job, but VTech remains a highly questionable landing spot and it'll be very interesting to see how long he lasts there.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2014, 11:46:09 AM »
"because he was so afraid at failing to live up to expectations he had set."

He sure failed to live up to expectations in 2013-2014....

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2014, 11:55:45 AM »
I find it interesting that Isaac Chew (who is a well-known and respected Chicago recruiter) took less money as well to go with him to Blacksburg.  I'm sure he could have gotten a sweet deal from one of the B1G schools.  Not sure how many kids from Chicago will want to go to VA Tech.

I also find it interesting that Brad Autry, one of his most loyal assistants, is still without a job.  Did Buzz not offer him a position?  Did Brad not feel comfortable following him?  I don't think Brad currently has a position.

Bottom line, our coaching staff would beat there's in a pickup basketball game.  

I'm so glad I don't have to hear about how awesome Chew is anymore. Incredibly overrated, and yes I know which recruits he helped us get (none of which were from Chicago).
Bring back FFP!!!