[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gabe Levin to Marquette  (Read 27382 times)

Texas Western

• All American
Re: Gabe Levin to Marquette
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2014, 04:27:07 PM »
Much too early to tell, but I see this guy as our first guy off the bench his first year and a starter the 2nd year. This is assuming of course that we don't land some really big fish in our 2015 class.
In either case, getting a guy who has proven himself already at the collegiate level, and will have had a year to practice with the team is a great first 2015 recruit. There is a huge difference between high school and college mentally and physically and he has already worked through all of that. He just seems like a kid that keeps getting better to me.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2014, 04:34:00 PM »
In either case, getting a guy who has proven himself already at the collegiate level, and will have had a year to practice with the team is a great first 2015 recruit. There is a huge difference between high school and college mentally and physically and he has already worked through all of that. He just seems like a kid that keeps getting better to me.

Transfers always work for me, they take a year off to improve, go to school and have fun.  Lets see how Duane Wilson does taking the year off last year.  I know he has gained 15 lbs., so he
has gotten stronger and hopefully better.

Need a back-up center behind Fisher, now you have a back-up to Taylor or play bigger with Taylor and Burton.  JJJ and Cohen might be small forwards in the future.  Cohen could use a red-shirt year to bulk up.  Maybe that will happen, time will tell.   Basketball has to be important to Levin, because Northwestern is a pretty good academic school, best in the area.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2014, 04:38:27 PM »
He's not considered a great outside shooter though.  The comparisons to Majerle don't make a lot of sense in that regard.  More of an inside guy - not afraid to mix it up.

You get a lot of Loyola Marymount games there in Indiana? Seems like you've watched him quite a bit

Bring back FFP!!!

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2014, 05:06:51 PM »

Because this group is like your dad.  Once they hear something they find funny, they repeat it over and over and over and over...
Sort of like the Sultan repeating that Buzz played the players that he believed gave him the best chance to win, over..and...over...and over. (Thanks to Thurston Harris)
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2014, 05:07:03 PM »
Kind of interesting.

The 3 point shot didn't come into play until Majerle's junior year. First season he only took 8 of them and made 2.

His senior season he took 101( shorter 3 point line) and made 45. He was never a really good free throw shooter in college(65%) though which is interesting.
Gabe shot 76% as a frosh.

I could easily see Gabe develope into a good 3 point shooter (as Dan did) by his junior or senior season although I certainly couldn't predict a Dan Majerle career

Majerle's rebound numbers were similar to Gabe's as a frosh FWIW

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/dan-majerle-1.html

ps My guess is Fran has seen him play much more then any of us here
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 06:39:43 PM by MuMark »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2014, 05:07:45 PM »
Take THAT Notre Dame!  ;D
Yeah--F#@k No Dick!

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2014, 06:07:24 PM »
And I grew up in a predominantly Catholic town, went to a Jesuit university and married a Catholic girl.

Had Jewish classmates in Parochial Grammar and High School.  We share a Common Guilt

tower912

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2014, 06:25:23 PM »
Switchable.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2014, 06:40:16 PM »
yep

Michael Hunt @MichaelHuntMJS  ·  8m
#mubb 6-7 F Gabe Levin says he will move from the power-forward position he played at Loyola Marymount to a 2-3 combo at #Marquette.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2014, 06:45:32 PM »
NAME ORIGINS: Gabriel

From the Hebrew name גַבְרִיאֵל (Gavri'el) meaning "strong man of God". Gabriel was one of the seven archangels in Hebrew tradition. He appears in both the Old Testament and the New Testament, where he serves as the announcer of the births of John to Zechariah and Jesus to Mary.

Just sayin'.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info. Shalom.
We Are Marquette

chapman

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2014, 07:18:47 PM »
Michael Hunt @MichaelHuntMJS  ·  8m
#mubb 6-7 F Gabe Levin says he will move from the power-forward position he played at Loyola Marymount to a 2-3 combo at #Marquette.

This must make about 30 recruits in a row who have declared that they will be playing shooting guard.  Let's see how much of this the past few years has been Buzz and how much is just the nature of the business. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2014, 07:19:11 PM »
Good to see mikehunt is right on top of it, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

augoman

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2014, 07:37:41 PM »
[ Basketball has to be important to Levin, because Northwestern is a pretty good academic school, best in the area.
[/quote]

not to nitpick, but Northwestern has to be top ten in the nation in all fields of study and top five in some. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2014, 07:40:16 PM »
You get a lot of Loyola Marymount games there in Indiana? Seems like you've watched him quite a bit

Never seen him. Just going by various things I have read about him.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2014, 07:42:09 PM »
Sort of like the Sultan repeating that Buzz played the players that he believed gave him the best chance to win, over..and...over...and over. (Thanks to Thurston Harris)

Keep on obsessing Willie!  I wear it as a badge of pride.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2014, 08:05:03 PM »

http://www.lmulions.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/gabe_levin_862258.html

Levin will be 20 years old in August. If he did a year of prep school after OPRF, then a freshman year at LMU, then next year will be his third year out of high school. He'll be a 21 year old "sophomore" in terms of eligibility in his fourth year out of high school. There's a big difference between 18 and 21.

I know a lot of guys who continued to grow in college, let alone far outliers like David Robinson and Scottie Pippen that sprouted. And no, I am not projecting the NBA HOF for Levin. Just making a point about how some people grow.
We Are Marquette

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2014, 08:09:35 PM »

ps My guess is Fran has seen him play much more then any of us here

Hah I guarantee I've seen him more!  
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 11:47:59 AM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2014, 10:53:17 PM »
I don't know about Majerle, and I certainly don't know about Levin being a combo 2/3.

Based on the little I saw in the videos, I was thinking a nice thing would be an Eduardo Najera type or Mark Madsen type or Andres Nocioni type. A combo 3/4 who could be scrappy and underestimated athletically and get under opponents' skin. If he develops a more consistent jumper, all the better.

I hope everybody just took note that I wrote an entire post without referring to Levin's religion. D'oh! I just ruined it!!!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 12:17:04 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2014, 11:31:58 PM »
And this is why I don't update the scholarship table...as soon as I do it changes...

Welcome Gabe...updated again...

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?page=8

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2014, 12:54:15 AM »
And this is why I don't update the scholarship table...as soon as I do it changes...

Welcome Gabe...updated again...

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?page=8

I notice that Duane Wilson is still listed as a sophomore and not a redshirt freshman....

*runs in fear of being banhammered for questioning an almighty mod*
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2014, 07:05:22 AM »

Keep on obsessing Willie!  I wear it as a badge of pride.
The only badge you wear Slurper is a super smug "I was very wrong about the phony downhome lonesome cowboy--and my analysis of Otule/Gardner--and my analysis of Derrick--and so on.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2014, 08:29:31 AM »
I notice that Duane Wilson is still listed as a sophomore and not a redshirt freshman....

*runs in fear of being banhammered for questioning an almighty mod*

Duane is being shown as a sophomore on the official Marquette roster here:

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/marq-m-baskbl-mtt.html

Is that an error?  Or does MU have to submit some sort of application that hasn't been formally accepted?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2014, 10:09:36 AM »
The only badge you wear Slurper is a super smug "I was very wrong about the phony downhome lonesome cowboy--and my analysis of Otule/Gardner--and my analysis of Derrick--and so on.

Good lord, you two are as bad as Chicos and Lenny!  Why don't you two get a room.   ;D

Maybe we should start a poll to see which of you is Chicos and which is Lenny.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2014, 11:08:14 AM »
Good lord, you two are as bad as Chicos and Lenny!  Why don't you two get a room.   ;D

Maybe we should start a poll to see which of you is Chicos and which is Lenny.

I find the Chicos/Lenny back and forth to be humorous because it spans numerous topics and they're on diffrent end of the spectrum so many times. The Willie/Sultan relationship straight up sucks.   
Bring back FFP!!!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2014, 11:14:30 AM »
The Willie/Sultan relationship straight up sucks.   

Hey, I am all for a divorce.  But willie can't quit me.