[Today at 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:31:50 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[Today at 10:56:27 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by Herman Cain
[June 07, 2024, 09:51:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Alumni discounts, perks etc.  (Read 3993 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Alumni discounts, perks etc.
« on: June 03, 2014, 02:18:35 PM »
So I finally graduated this year and outside of the 10% bookstore discount they didn't tell us much about what alums can still use and such.  So some questions:

Library?
Gym?
Brew coffe discount?
Career services?

Also I heard a long time ago there's some Jesuit alumni perks where we can use some stuff from other Jesuit schools.  Can anyone validate this?
Maigh Eo for Sam

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Alumni discounts, perks etc.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 02:29:55 PM »
So I finally graduated this year and outside of the 10% bookstore discount they didn't tell us much about what alums can still use and such.  So some questions:

Library?
Gym?
Brew coffe discount?
Career services?

Also I heard a long time ago there's some Jesuit alumni perks where we can use some stuff from other Jesuit schools.  Can anyone validate this?

If you have $30 the BC Bookstore will let you buy a tee shirt

Death on call

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 02:46:16 PM »

On your death bed, you will receive total consciousness.  So you have that going for you; which is nice.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 02:52:05 PM »
If you have $30 the BC Bookstore will let you buy a tee shirt

That was the whole reason I chose MU!!!!
Maigh Eo for Sam

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 02:57:02 PM »
This thread made me laugh.

The only perk you get is that piece of lambskin (pretty sure its not even that - just paper)

I'm pretty sure you can still enter the library as a guest, just as any other non-student can, alumni or not. No clue about the gym and career services but I doubt you can use them as they are for students.

There are some alumni networking events you can take advantage of but that's about it.

Perhaps the biggest perk is you will now receive mail several times a year asking for more money while you continue to pay off student loans.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 03:00:38 PM by Bleuteaux »

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 03:12:20 PM »
The only advice I can give is hang on to your student ID. There are some bars around Chicago (mostly Kingston Mines)where you can get a student discount if you show your college ID. Same goes for some movie theaters.

I know it sounds cheap, but saving a few dollars when you're right out of college is always a plus.
Bring back FFP!!!

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 03:14:00 PM »
On your death bed, you will receive total consciousness.  So you have that going for you; which is nice.

Gunga galunga.  Big hitter the lama.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 03:34:41 PM »
You can get a (probably slight) discount on a membership at the Rec Center and/or Plex.  Or at least you could when I worked there through 2011.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GOO

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 03:38:42 PM »
Alumni Perks = Elevator Passes in Dorms.  They don't exist.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 04:03:54 PM »
One other perk:

You can now take on a condescending tone on Scoop about how much better things were when you were a student at MU and how the current students are terrible fans.

Enjoy, you've earned that right.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 04:05:31 PM »

Library?
Gym?
Brew coffe discount?
Career services?

http://www.marquette.edu/alumni/about-benefits.php

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 04:10:53 PM »
One other perk:

You can now take on a condescending tone on Scoop about how much better things were when you were a student at MU and how the current students are terrible fans.

Enjoy, you've earned that right.

I'm hoping the first game right before the tip this year the students chant "We got Wojo" clap clap clap clap "We got Wojo" clap clap clap clap, etc.
Bring back FFP!!!

w0bbie

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 10:36:16 AM »

Library?
Gym?
Brew coffe discount?
Career services?

Alumni have access to career services and the MU career manager website.  You can also check in at the library with your alumni card and get computer access. I believe you can also use the library online database remotely for articles and journals.  I don't think regular library guests get those "perks."

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 10:46:29 AM »
The Rec Center actually sells memberships that are available to alum and general community members. The alum rate is actually really reasonable at $215/year for the Rec Center or $376/year for both the Rec Center and Rec Plex.

http://www.marquette.edu/recsports/documents/2013-14MembershipRates.pdf

🏀

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 11:15:20 AM »
I have used a LIMO as recently as last Summer leaving Potawotomi.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 11:19:09 AM »
Thanks for the link Sultan.  I emailed the alumni office last night to request the card and they've already responded saying it's coming in the mail.  If nothing else, I'll at least use it for the 10% discounts at the Warrior Shop.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 02:40:41 PM »
Every time I've chosen the hotels listed they told me they have a Marquette rate, but it was always coincidentally the same as the standard rate during the time I was staying.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 05:12:23 PM »
 lifetime membership in AA as needed and the psyche department is always open for volunteer patients for their grads
don't...don't don't don't don't

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 07:49:40 PM »
The only advice I can give is hang on to your student ID. There are some bars around Chicago (mostly Kingston Mines)where you can get a student discount if you show your college ID. Same goes for some movie theaters.

I know it sounds cheap, but saving a few dollars when you're right out of college is always a plus.

Kingston Mines.

Love that place.
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2014, 08:00:48 PM »
Kingston Mines.

Love that place.

Absolutely. They have about 5 bands going at once. Superb blues joint.

Death on call

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2014, 11:48:38 AM »
Absolutely. They have about 5 bands going at once. Superb blues joint.

And the fact you can move from one to another...or even stay til the end of a show then move to the other stage.

May the Blues never die in Chicago.
(But some of the electronic stuff needs to go!)
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2014, 12:03:12 PM »
And the fact you can move from one to another...or even stay til the end of a show then move to the other stage.

May the Blues never die in Chicago.
(But some of the electronic stuff needs to go!)

My wife loved that place. I remember their wings weren't bad either.

Not sure if Chicago has the best blues but it is definitely up there. My wife was a huge fan of Koko Taylor and we made a side trip to Chicago so we could catch Koko at the Mines.

Death on call

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2014, 09:53:08 AM »
I have used a LIMO as recently as last Summer leaving Potawotomi.

While staying at the Intercontinental a few years back, I called LIMO to take my wife and I to Real Chili, explained that I was a drunk & hungry alum who didn't want to drive anywhere (actually, I was just being lazy and didn't want to risk giving up a choice parking spot in the garage).  LIMO was there before we could get downstairs, no questions asked.  I think the driver was a bit perplexed that he was shuttling a couple of 30-somethings to Real Chili... or maybe it was the fact that it was a Saturday night and we were completely sober.

I hear they're being more strict with their zones now.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2014, 10:00:04 AM »
While staying at the Intercontinental a few years back, I called LIMO to take my wife and I to Real Chili, explained that I was a drunk & hungry alum who didn't want to drive anywhere (actually, I was just being lazy and didn't want to risk giving up a choice parking spot in the garage).  LIMO was there before we could get downstairs, no questions asked.  I think the driver was a bit perplexed that he was shuttling a couple of 30-somethings to Real Chili... or maybe it was the fact that it was a Saturday night and we were completely sober.

I hear they're being more strict with their zones now.

Yeah, they only go a few blocks past Straz now to the east. I've called one for that corner at Library Hill to get back to the Ambassador.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2014, 04:21:32 PM »
I'm glad, though, that they're shuttling alums. It's a good PR move and it shows that MU cares about students - past and present.

I was at MU when the LIMO service was in its infancy. It was good then and is more than serviceable today.

That was 20 years ago!
SS Marquette