collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: St.Louis Restaurants  (Read 4356 times)

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
St.Louis Restaurants
« on: June 02, 2014, 08:01:42 PM »
Scoopers. In st.louis this weekend and need some ideas for dinner with clients. Thanks

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: St.Louis Restaurants
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 08:25:36 PM »
Scoopers. In st.louis this weekend and need some ideas for dinner with clients. Thanks

Meet them in Portland

Death on call

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 08:35:05 PM »
Gittos on the hill
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 08:58:20 PM »
But I like to throw handfuls...

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 09:57:24 PM »
Tony's.  Hands down.  One of the best Italian joints in the country.

Wear a jacket, or they will provide you with one.

http://www.saucecafe.com/tonys/index.html

Legs, what say you?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 11:03:01 PM by real chili 83 »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 02:57:18 PM »
Gitto's is outstanding!!

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 03:03:57 PM »
Definitely hit up the hill for some toasted ravioli, it is one of the most underrated Little Italys in the United States.

Zia's is my favorite.

Also good: Gian-Tony's, Cunetto, and Charlie Gitto's

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 03:04:26 PM »
There's a place called Tripel that has really good food and drinks.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 03:44:38 PM »
Tony's.  Hands down.  One of the best Italian joints in the country.

Wear a jacket, or they will provide you with one.

http://www.saucecafe.com/tonys/index.html

Legs, what say you?
I didn't want to mention Tony's as I haven't been there for 10 years.  But back then, it was really good at a great value.   
Amazing quality at half the price of Chicago.  Glad to hear that it is still a good place.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 03:44:50 PM »
Definitely hit up the hill for some toasted ravioli, it is one of the most underrated Little Italys in the United States.

Zia's is my favorite.

Also good: Gian-Tony's, Cunetto, and Charlie Gitto's

Toasted ravioli is so good and St. Louis is the only city that I have been to that offers it (that I have noticed).  We go there for a volleyball tournament once a year and always go to Calico's (spelling?) for their toasted ravioli.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 03:59:48 PM »
Toasted ravioli is so good and St. Louis is the only city that I have been to that offers it (that I have noticed).  We go there for a volleyball tournament once a year and always go to Calico's (spelling?) for their toasted ravioli.

Chicago has it in a few spots but its not the same. Plus, I've only seen cheese-filled toasted ravs in Chicago, in St. Louis it is usually with meat which is way better.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 04:55:48 PM »

Is this the epitome of St Louis Cuisine?

Death on call

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 04:58:38 PM »
Is this the epitome of St Louis Cuisine?

Toasted Ravioli, Imo's pizza, provel cheese, gooey butter cake, Ted Drewes' frozen custard, St. Louis-style BBQ, and a laxative known as the Slinger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slinger)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 05:07:20 PM by Bleuteaux »

Chili

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 07:29:04 PM »
Toasted Ravioli, Imo's pizza, provel cheese, gooey butter cake, Ted Drewes' frozen custard, St. Louis-style BBQ, and a laxative known as the Slinger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slinger)

Imo's and Provel - VOMIT!!! Worst "food" ever. Provel make Velveeta look like 10 Year Aged Cheddar.

Also, Slingers are many midwestern cities / towns.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 08:55:04 PM »
A client of mine told me Pappys Smokehouse has unbelievable BBQ. True?  My daughter is going to SLU next year so this thread is helpful.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 01:06:35 AM »
I had dinner tonight with colleagues at Purple in Bellevue. The chef knows us and he came out to say hello. I know he is from St Louis so I asked him about "toasted" ravioli and he explained it is either deep fried or oven baked. He said it's not bad and the best is at a place called Rigazzi's. Our chef explained that Rigazzi's grandmother still hand makes the pillows even though she is now in her 90s. He said that Yogi Berra, Garagiola, and Musial all went there for this dish. 

I haven't been to Rigazzi's myself but a superb chef from St Louis said it was his favorite so I will pass his comments along.

Death on call

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 08:51:23 AM »
I had dinner tonight with colleagues at Purple in Bellevue. The chef knows us and he came out to say hello. I know he is from St Louis so I asked him about "toasted" ravioli and he explained it is either deep fried or oven baked. He said it's not bad and the best is at a place called Rigazzi's. Our chef explained that Rigazzi's grandmother still hand makes the pillows even though she is now in her 90s. He said that Yogi Berra, Garagiola, and Musial all went there for this dish.  

I haven't been to Rigazzi's myself but a superb chef from St Louis said it was his favorite so I will pass his comments along.

Yup. Rigazzi's is fantastic, and also on the Hill. It is more of a bar though, not the type of place I'd recommend taking clients in a business meeting, but awesome food. And the chef is right, its probably the best toasted ravioli in St. Louis. They also serve beer in massive fishbowls. It is a regular spot for SLU students (both of my parents went to SLU) - sort of their version of Angelo's.

I will refrain from debating the merits of Imo's pizza and provel cheese. It is a contentious issue. Most people either love it or hate it. I love it, but I am marrying a Chicago woman who cannot stand it, it is one of the major issues we will have to overcome in our marriage. Most Chicagoans can't stand St. Louis style pizza. I suspect Chili is from Chicago and that's why he hates it. As a current Chicagoan who visits family once or twice a year in St. Louis, I always make sure I pick up an Imo's when I'm in town. I have introduced it to friends from New York City who love it. There is even a pizzeria that has opened up in New York that is now serving St. Louis-inspired pizza with provel: http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/04/speedy-romeo-saint-louie-louie-oh-baby.html

Keefe - St. Louis gets a bad rap, but if you ever get the chance to visit, I'd recommend spending a weekend there. There are some cool historic neighborhoods such as Soulard, Lafayette Square and Laclede's Landing that retain much of the French colonial architecture. They have the 2nd biggest Mardi Gras celebration in the US after New Orleans and the Old Cathedral is probably one of the oldest churches (besides the California missions) west of the Mississippi.

Plus they have a decent baseball team  ;)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 09:05:30 AM by Bleuteaux »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 09:59:37 AM »

Keefe - St. Louis gets a bad rap, but if you ever get the chance to visit, I'd recommend spending a weekend there. There are some cool historic neighborhoods such as Soulard, Lafayette Square and Laclede's Landing that retain much of the French colonial architecture. They have the 2nd biggest Mardi Gras celebration in the US after New Orleans and the Old Cathedral is probably one of the oldest churches (besides the California missions) west of the Mississippi.

Speaking of Laclede's landing, we used to get in trouble at Muddy Waters.  Not sure if it is still there.  The bald dude who sang there was hilarious.  I am proud to say that I defended MU's honor by winning the beer chugging contest one night.  I spent part of a summer there just after graduation working at Barnes Hospital. 

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 12:12:33 PM »
Thanks for the names, I will look forward to trying toasted ravioli.   Keefe, Purple in Seattle is one of my go to places along with Wild Ginger when in Seattle

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 12:22:19 PM »
Thanks for the names, I will look forward to trying toasted ravioli.   Keefe, Purple in Seattle is one of my go to places along with Wild Ginger when in Seattle

Wild Ginger was one of my wife's faves. We always had dinner there after the Symphony. The Laksa is the best this side of Singapore.

Purple has a versatile menu and one of the finest wine selections in the world. Unpretentious and geared towards fusing the best possible wine with food it is a tribute to l'art de vivre.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 12:28:53 PM »
Yup. Rigazzi's is fantastic, and also on the Hill. It is more of a bar though, not the type of place I'd recommend taking clients in a business meeting, but awesome food. And the chef is right, its probably the best toasted ravioli in St. Louis. They also serve beer in massive fishbowls. It is a regular spot for SLU students (both of my parents went to SLU) - sort of their version of Angelo's.

I will refrain from debating the merits of Imo's pizza and provel cheese. It is a contentious issue. Most people either love it or hate it. I love it, but I am marrying a Chicago woman who cannot stand it, it is one of the major issues we will have to overcome in our marriage. Most Chicagoans can't stand St. Louis style pizza. I suspect Chili is from Chicago and that's why he hates it. As a current Chicagoan who visits family once or twice a year in St. Louis, I always make sure I pick up an Imo's when I'm in town. I have introduced it to friends from New York City who love it. There is even a pizzeria that has opened up in New York that is now serving St. Louis-inspired pizza with provel: http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/04/speedy-romeo-saint-louie-louie-oh-baby.html

I have spent a few nights in St Louis due to some hurricane evacuations from Hurlburt Field to Scott AFB. I have some AA pilot buds who live in the area so I have rendezvoused with them when in town. Unfortunately, my culinary excursions there always seemed to be pub grub in some nice watering holes.

Death on call

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2014, 02:40:06 PM »

Touch 'em all, Bleau!

Chili

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2014, 03:43:28 PM »

Wisconsin born and raised but living in Chicago now for the past 3 years. I travel to St. Louis at minimum one trip a month so I subjected to the city often. It's not a favorite of mine as I don't like how it's so separated to get from one good area to another with no cohesiveness that's safe. There are some fun areas but I could just never live there as it seems like everyone lives in the county. Also, cabs SUCK and are quite expensive. It's impossible to get around. Back to Provel - it's not even a food based product. It is less of a cheese than Valeta - I am not BSing. And Chicago Style pizza sucks too. New Haven is the best.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 07:04:31 PM »
New Haven is the best.

Amen.

I have no idea what Provel is but if it indexes negative to Velveeta then I'm not missing anything. There are so many great cheeses that buying cheese food product is curious, to say the least.

Death on call

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 08:33:58 PM »
Back to Provel - it's not even a food based product. It is less of a cheese than Valeta - I am not BSing.

And Chicago Style pizza sucks too. New Haven is the best.

I'll give you an Amen! on that.  That's the queue to visit Pepe's or Roseland this weekend.

According to Wikipedia, Provel is:

Provel /prɵˈvɛl/ is a white processed cheese particularly popular in Saint Louis cuisine,[1] that is created through a combination of cheddar, Swiss, and provolone cheeses.[2][3][4] Provel has a low melting point and, thus, has a gooey and almost buttery texture at room temperature. It is the traditional topping for St. Louis-style pizza. It is also often used in the preparation of cheese soup and served on salads, chicken and the Gerber sandwich. Some restaurants use Provel for their pasta dishes with white sauce instead of the customary fresh Italian cheese and cream. Although popular in the St. Louis area, Provel is rarely used elsewhere.