[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Apple WWDC 2014/iOS 8  (Read 28340 times)

GOO

• All American
Apple WWDC 2014/iOS 8
« on: June 02, 2014, 10:45:10 AM »
Just starting a thread on the Apple conference today.  Usually there are a lot of expectations going into these events.  This year, it all seems rather low key, and not a lot is expected. 

I know that the big hardware launches usually happen in the fall, but it will be interesting to see if there is something unexpected that comes out today. Usually, there are excessive rumors that don't become reality.  This year, there are fewer rumors and maybe a surprise is in the works.  But, it seems that the only way to surprise is to announce something well in advance, before production starts, and that is not the Apple way. 

GOO

• All American
Re: Apple WWDC 2014/iOS 8
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 02:04:14 PM »
A lot of improvements and big developments on the developer side of things, but for the consumer no new products.  I guess pretty typical and what I should have expected.... no hardware.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 02:06:33 PM »
Just starting a thread on the Apple conference today.  Usually there are a lot of expectations going into these events.  This year, it all seems rather low key, and not a lot is expected. 

I know that the big hardware launches usually happen in the fall, but it will be interesting to see if there is something unexpected that comes out today. Usually, there are excessive rumors that don't become reality.  This year, there are fewer rumors and maybe a surprise is in the works.  But, it seems that the only way to surprise is to announce something well in advance, before production starts, and that is not the Apple way. 

Ehh, Apple's lost it's punch.  This isn't just a Steve Jobs is dead thing, but they really seem to have become an also ran as opposed to a trend setter.  I think Google is probably the standard bearer in the tech market in terms of pushing the envelope.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GOO

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 02:39:02 PM »
No doubt that Google has the bigger vision, etc, with their entry into robots, home devices, cars, internet, etc.

Apple is still trying to stay very focused in a small device area, with a risk of commoditization of this area (which has happened to some extent) and the risk of lack of differentiation issues.

They will need a big fall to show they are a player for the mid-term (3+ years).  A larger iPhone gets them a lot of sales for up to 2 years, but beyond that, they need to bring some new hardware and not just incremental changes.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 02:46:43 PM »
Haven't you heard, they are going to redefine the television landscape in 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 04:56:56 PM »
Haven't you heard, they are going to redefine the television landscape in 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014

I know that's a criticism, but to be fair, I don't use cable anymore.
I stream Netflix and Amazon via my Apple TV to my MacBook, Mac desktop, iPad, and iPhone.
They may not control the content but they help coordinate the devices with ease.

I'm not an Apple fanboy, but having had PCs before, I find them more user-friendly.
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 05:24:44 PM »
I know that's a criticism, but to be fair, I don't use cable anymore.
I stream Netflix and Amazon via my Apple TV to my MacBook, Mac desktop, iPad, and iPhone.
They may not control the content but they help coordinate the devices with ease.

I'm not an Apple fanboy, but having had PCs before, I find them more user-friendly.

I stream as well and I like Apple products, actually.  My sarcasm was about the yearly news that Apple was going to take over the television world and streamline everything...then Apple had to deal with Disney, NewsCorp, CBS, Discovery, Viacom, etc, and found out that it isn't so easy.  Same lesson Google and Intel learned in the last year.

brandx

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 06:36:54 PM »

The TV landscape is vastly different than it was in 2010.

brandx

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 06:38:46 PM »
Ehh, Apple's lost it's punch.  This isn't just a Steve Jobs is dead thing, but they really seem to have become an also ran as opposed to a trend setter.  I think Google is probably the standard bearer in the tech market in terms of pushing the envelope.

+1

I think it is the nature of the Tech business. There are just a ton of brilliant guys out there, so it is hard to stay on top.

And I think the fact that Google is the front runner was the impetus for the recent mergers.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 08:56:52 PM »
+1

I think it is the nature of the Tech business. There are just a ton of brilliant guys out there, so it is hard to stay on top.

And I think the fact that Google is the front runner was the impetus for the recent mergers.
Don't you mean Hooli?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 09:25:05 PM »
The TV landscape is vastly different than it was in 2010.

Apple was supposed to redefine it, they haven't....neither has Google, Intel, or anyone else.  The content makers won't allow it.

They were supposed to make it a la carte and bring the whole thing down.  Which of course, they haven't.  My point was then and is now, so many people thought this was going to be a snap of the fingers and sooooo easy to do.  As if a ton of smart people haven't thought about this for many many years.  It has been rather humorous each time I read an article over the years how they are going to just waltz in and change things. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 09:27:23 PM »

My concern as a shareholder is what the hell are they doing spending $3 billion for Beets.  Then again, if the consuming public is dumb enough to spend $350 to $450 for a pair of head phones that has a bill of materials of $16, well that's America. 

brandx

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 09:54:38 PM »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 09:58:38 PM »
Apple was supposed to redefine it, they haven't....neither has Google, Intel, or anyone else.  The content makers won't allow it.

They were supposed to make it a la carte and bring the whole thing down.  Which of course, they haven't.  My point was then and is now, so many people thought this was going to be a snap of the fingers and sooooo easy to do.  As if a ton of smart people haven't thought about this for many many years.  It has been rather humorous each time I read an article over the years how they are going to just waltz in and change things. 

It has been redefined, but not completely by Apple.  Ask your average college kid if they have cable or ever intend on getting it.  They have no desire to have cable and never will because it doesn't fit their needs. 

The millennials are not keen on cable and many have cut it out of their lives.  The current generation of young people 18-25 and those younger will never be big cable subscribers. 

Apple was on the right track it is just a slower process.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 10:45:40 PM »
It has been redefined, but not completely by Apple.  Ask your average college kid if they have cable or ever intend on getting it.  They have no desire to have cable and never will because it doesn't fit their needs. 

The millennials are not keen on cable and many have cut it out of their lives.  The current generation of young people 18-25 and those younger will never be big cable subscribers. 

Apple was on the right track it is just a slower process.

We'll see.  The data is actually suggesting you may be wrong. That was the prediction 3 years ago, but the last year that has already started to change.  It is amazing that when college age kids actually are able to get a job, they will actually spend money on television.   One of the reasons, they aren't very happy with the offering that is out via OTT (over the top).  We'll see what happens ultimately, I don't particularly care as I'll be retired by then.  Yes, slow is a good way to put it...if I had a nickel for every time I read here or elsewhere how it was all going to be blown up by now.   ::)   About $70 billion at stake and Disney, NewsCorp, Viacom, etc aren't going to just roll over....these are not stupid people. 

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 06:42:50 AM »
Having just jumped from Android to iOS in the past 3 months I must say I am excited to have Swiftkey back in my life soon.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 06:55:31 AM »
Having just jumped from Android to iOS in the past 3 months I must say I am excited to have Swiftkey back in my life soon.

As a convert to Android the last year, and not to start a nerd flame war, but when Apple finally does something to improve the user experience, like using 3rd party folks to improve their products (Swiftkey), they are applauded like they are some kind of game changer.  It only took, what 5 years to improve that sh!tty keyboard?  Is it just Apple ego, like the Apple maps fiasco?

Want to know what the new iPhone will look like?  A phone with 4.7 inch screen, made out of aluminum and glass.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 07:15:41 AM »
As a convert to Android the last year, and not to start a nerd flame war, but when Apple finally does something to improve the user experience, like using 3rd party folks to improve their products (Swiftkey), they are applauded like they are some kind of game changer.  It only took, what 5 years to improve that sh!tty keyboard?  Is it just Apple ego, like the Apple maps fiasco?

I think the lack of innovation stems from the fact that Apple is concerned about not allowing as much Hardware/Software fragmentation as there is in the Android ecosystem.  More 3rd party folks in your environment leads to less overall control over the quality of experience your consumers are having with your phones.  This control over the experience allowed me to trust in the fact that when I picked up a 5s it would probably be able to chug along much longer than my Droid RAZR did.  I certainly miss the tinkering I could do with my Android phone, but don't miss all the hiccups that came along with that ability.   

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 08:58:52 AM »
I think the lack of innovation stems from the fact that Apple is concerned about not allowing as much Hardware/Software fragmentation as there is in the Android ecosystem.  More 3rd party folks in your environment leads to less overall control over the quality of experience your consumers are having with your phones.  This control over the experience allowed me to trust in the fact that when I picked up a 5s it would probably be able to chug along much longer than my Droid RAZR did.  I certainly miss the tinkering I could do with my Android phone, but don't miss all the hiccups that came along with that ability.   

Absolutely.  They want a walled garden, and I don't blame them in many ways.  I have both apple and android products.  I still find the apple products more reliable and less clunky, but there are features on the android that are very cool. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 09:33:53 AM »
What should be especially worrisome if you are an Apple shareholder, is that they are starting to go down the same path that got them in trouble in the 90s.  In the 80s, they were a gamechanger in the PC market.  In the 90s, they tried simply to improve the PC hardware and software, while PCs were eating at their margins and they lost all sense of innovation.

Well, then Jobs came back...iMac...iPod...iTunes...iPhone...iPad...

Now what?  You can't just keep churning out improved hardware and software.  That's not innovation.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 11:19:23 AM »
We'll see.  The data is actually suggesting you may be wrong. That was the prediction 3 years ago, but the last year that has already started to change.  It is amazing that when college age kids actually are able to get a job, they will actually spend money on television.   One of the reasons, they aren't very happy with the offering that is out via OTT (over the top).  We'll see what happens ultimately, I don't particularly care as I'll be retired by then.  Yes, slow is a good way to put it...if I had a nickel for every time I read here or elsewhere how it was all going to be blown up by now.   ::)   About $70 billion at stake and Disney, NewsCorp, Viacom, etc aren't going to just roll over....these are not stupid people. 

To be fair, the record industry never considered altering their business model until Napster forced their hand, and then itunes came along and defined the business model.

I'm not saying Apple is going to do the same thing to television, but there is a track record of technology radically changing entertainment and content delivery.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 11:22:27 AM »
To be fair, the record industry never considered altering their business model until Napster forced their hand, and then itunes came along and defined the business model.

I'm not saying Apple is going to do the same thing to television, but there is a track record of technology radically changing entertainment and content delivery.

Again, why people compare the recording industry to the television industry is beyond me.  Might as well compare the car industry to watermelon growers.  They have zero to do with one another, totally different models.

brandx

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 11:32:51 AM »
I don't think he is comparing industries so much as pointing out what happens when technology changes and people demand change. The record companies had long-term contracts said "never". When people changed their buying habits, "never" happened real quick.

Kinda like the Revolutions throughout mankind's entire existence. The rich and powerful always said "never" to the change that people wanted. "Never" didn't always last too long.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 11:35:43 AM by brandx »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2014, 01:06:44 PM »
Again, why people compare the recording industry to the television industry is beyond me.  Might as well compare the car industry to watermelon growers.  They have zero to do with one another, totally different models.

You're getting too tied into the details. It's not apples to apples, but it ain't watermelons to cars... and if people in the television industry really think that, then they are going to get crushed and Apple/Google/(Virgin?).

Music & television
- They are forms of entertainment.
- The delivery model is a form of media (tape, record, VHS, DVD) or broadcast (radio & television)
- The content is largely created by "artists", while the bills are paid for the studio/label.

Now, Apple/Napster changed the music delivery model overnight. I don't think that's going to happen to television. HOWEVER, the idea that we will all be hooked into some form of coax and paying for 100's of channels is probably antiquated as well.

Content, and content delivery is going to change. Companies that don't evolve will get left behind. Happens in every industry. It's the beauty of capitalism.

We can stomp our feet and hold our breath all we want, but content delivery is going to change in the next 10 years.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2014, 02:01:12 PM »
What should be especially worrisome if you are an Apple shareholder, is that they are starting to go down the same path that got them in trouble in the 90s.  In the 80s, they were a gamechanger in the PC market.  In the 90s, they tried simply to improve the PC hardware and software, while PCs were eating at their margins and they lost all sense of innovation.

Well, then Jobs came back...iMac...iPod...iTunes...iPhone...iPad...

Now what?  You can't just keep churning out improved hardware and software.  That's not innovation.

This....my concern would be that Apple is currently in market spaces(hardware) that are rapidly becoming commoditized.  As more and more capabilities go to cloud and thin client applications, what the hardware is becomes irrelevant.  iPhone eats into iPod sales because the iPhone can now do that as well as the iPod(in some cases better) with streaming services.  That's just apple vs apple let alone the broader competitive landscape.  Same goes for the PC market.  Apple has the edge with iTunes right now, but that won't last forever.

As the hardware becomes a commodity, Apple's historically huge margin becomes eroded, they no longer have the funding to support R&D, and so begins the death spiral.

I don't think Apple will die any time soon as they have a huge war chest, but they are at a cross roads that could see them become a middling tech company or try and change the paradigm....right now I'm betting they end up the former.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

feedback