Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is Dwyane Wade the 2nd Best 2 Guard of All Time?  (Read 13500 times)

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: Is Dwyane Wade the 2nd Best 2 Guard of All Time?
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2014, 12:09:32 PM »
15-20 years from now, Kobe will be viewed similar to Allen Iverson.    

Zero chance of that ever happening.  5 championships vs none will see to that.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2014, 12:15:20 PM »
I may be the only MU student/fan who does not like Wade. Never liked him.

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2014, 12:18:30 PM »

That's very weird.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2014, 12:23:03 PM »

Holy crap....what?

I still get misty eyed when I watch this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlymqXcruCU

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2014, 12:24:30 PM »

Career FGAs per 36 minutes:

MJ: 21.5
KB: 19.3
DW: 17.4

So I'm not exactly sure what you are criticizing here.  Yeah Kobe takes a lot of shots.  Every superstar 2G does. 

And Kobe is a much better defender than Wade. 

I hate language like this. People say "much better" and "not even close to the same level." That BS and you know it. Slightly better? Sure, but these are the best of the best, you can't be "world's better" at that point. It's just hyperbole.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2014, 12:28:46 PM »
I hate language like this. People say "much better" and "not even close to the same level." That BS and you know it. Slightly better? Sure, but these are the best of the best, you can't be "world's better" at that point. It's just hyperbole.

Your criticism is noted and will likely be ignored.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2014, 12:37:20 PM »
OK, let me put it differently.  "stars" (Ray Allen, Rashard Lewis, LeBron, Bosh) WANT to play on the same team as Wade.  With Kobe, they know that until the game allows more than one ball on the court, they'll never get their chance.  15-20 years from now, Kobe will be viewed similar to Allen Iverson.  Big time scorers for a long time who never understood why those other 4 guys were on the court.  Both were great players with incredible athleticism and were fun to watch, especially when they were "on".  But watch Kobe on an off night and you learn how not to play basketball.

Plus, DW's version of old man basketball - with the scoops and runners and flips - is much more interesting than Kobe's ISO/jump shot routine.  And the shooting percentage proves it's more successful.  

I think 15-20 years from now they will say the guy is a winner, and made a lot of other players much better like Derek Fischer, Robert Horry, Pao Gasol (I find him to be unbelievably overrated, but Kobe made him better) ,etc.

Lots of different ways to skin the cat and win.  He's going to go down with a minimum of 5 championships.  He'll be remembered very well, as much as that pains me because he should be in jail.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2014, 12:37:50 PM »
That's very weird.

Yea, I didn't even know he went to MU until long into his NBA career and I didn't pay any attention to MU hoops until I applied which was during the 2010-11 season. By that point I just didn't like the way he played in the NBA. i dunno, just never a fan.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2014, 12:38:00 PM »

That's why you admitted to being a liberal here a few months ago....knew something was wrong with you.   ;)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2014, 12:43:04 PM »
If you put Kobe ahead of Wade, its time to take off your blue and gold tinted glasses.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2014, 12:54:36 PM »
I think you'd have to put Jordan, Bryant and West as your top 3.  After that it gets tricky and there are a lot of guys who would be in the mix along with Wade.  In addition to those mentioned (Drexler, Iverson) you'd have to consider George Gervin, John Havlicek, Pete Maravich, Reggie Miller.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2014, 12:57:51 PM »
I may be the only MU student/fan who does not like Wade.

Good chance you're correct about that.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2014, 01:20:04 PM »
That's why you admitted to being a liberal here a few months ago....knew something was wrong with you.   ;)

Yeah, he's a huge liberal, although not much of a fan of FDR, didn't realize he was a Democrat until recently and just not a fan of his style.

PistolPete

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2014, 01:51:00 PM »

Love Wade, and I always will... but, as a Bulls fan... well, I can appreciate where you're coming from.

I will say that I much preferred D Wade 05/06 to the Heatles edition... their first championship was special to watch... he wasn't so entitled... didn't b*tch and moan, flop, or take plays off like he does today, but virtually all NBA superstars do the same.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2014, 02:16:22 PM »

Your criticism is noted and will likely be ignored.

or "I know basketball better than you, so I can make grand exaggerations and proclamations on player's skills that you are unable to understand." Kobe was better, just not THAT much better.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 02:23:33 PM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2014, 02:17:23 PM »
Wade couldn't even dribble or tie his shoes when he arrived on campus.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2014, 02:20:22 PM »
or "I know basketball better than you, so I can make grand exaggerations and proclamations on player's skills that you are unable to understand."

I was specifically commenting on my supposed use of hyperbole.  Sorry that you viewed my use of "much better" versus "better" as hyperbolic.  I think it's accurate.

I think in the context of the NBA (which is what we are talking about here) that Kobe is a *MUCH BETTER* defensive player than Dwyane Wade.  You think differently.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2014, 02:21:55 PM »
I will say that I much preferred D Wade 05/06 to the Heatles edition... their first championship was special to watch... he wasn't so entitled... didn't b*tch and moan, flop, or take plays off like he does today, but virtually all NBA superstars do the same.

If he b*tched and moaned during the 2006 Finals. when it was a foul on the Mavs if they looked at him too closely, he would have to be the biggest jerk on the planet.  He got the superstar treatment in that Finals above and beyond anything I've seen before or since.  I was heartily rooting for the Heat in that series and I still couldn't believe the calls he got.  I firmly believe the NBA wanted to make sure Cuban did not get that ring.

The only other thing I remember that comes close was a game when I was rooting for the Lakers against the Blazers in maybe 2001 where the Lakers made a wild comeback and seemed to get every call.  

I remember those two games well because it is so rare as a fan for me to think that the team I was rooting for was getting every whistle.

Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2014, 02:23:12 PM »
I think you'd have to put Jordan, Bryant and West as your top 3.  After that it gets tricky and there are a lot of guys who would be in the mix along with Wade.  In addition to those mentioned (Drexler, Iverson) you'd have to consider George Gervin, John Havlicek, Pete Maravich, Reggie Miller.

Yes, you have some different types of players there. David Thompson, too.

A lot comes down to position placement.

I've always considered Gervin, Havlicek and Thompson to be small forwards. Maravich had the ball just about every second of every game he ever played, so even though the guy he set up most of the time was himself, he probably was a PG; he wasn't anywhere near as efficient offensively or defensively as Wade, anyway. Reggie, such a different kind of player, but a great one who certainly deserves top-10 status at the very least.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2014, 02:36:42 PM »

I was specifically commenting on my supposed use of hyperbole.  Sorry that you viewed my use of "much better" versus "better" as hyperbolic.  I think it's accurate.

I think in the context of the NBA (which is what we are talking about here) that Kobe is a *MUCH BETTER* defensive player than Dwyane Wade.  You think differently.

D Wade has averaged more blocks than any other guard, ever I believe (and he's 6'3!). He also has much better steals numbers per game. I like Kobe better as a face-up defender, but I think that a lot of that comes from his additional 3-4 inches on Wade and being put on the other team's best player usually. I think "much better" (especially in all caps) is a considerably off and way undervalues how good Wade has been at his size and position for so long.

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2014, 04:16:31 PM »
D Wade is the third best SG of all-time and when it’s all said and done he could be arguably the second best.

Heck of a player. By far the best player to ever don a Marquette uniform.

Also my favorite player of all-time. I’ll go as far to say he’s my favorite professional athlete of all-time.

With that being said, go HEAT!!!

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2014, 10:18:44 PM »
Love Wade, and I always will... but, as a Bulls fan... well, I can appreciate where you're coming from.

How dare you suggest that being a Bulls fan makes one more likely to dislike Wade! I did that once and sparked the wrath of the Chicago MU crowd.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=38870.0

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2014, 10:58:35 PM »
How dare you suggest that being a Bulls fan makes one more likely to dislike Wade! I did that once and sparked the wrath of the Chicago MU crowd.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=38870.0

How did butt hurt Bulls fans not make the meme tournament? What an outrage.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2014, 12:33:10 AM »
D Wade is the third best SG of all-time and when it’s all said and done he could be arguably the second best.

Heck of a player. By far the best player to ever don a Marquette uniform.

Also my favorite player of all-time. I’ll go as far to say he’s my favorite professional athlete of all-time.

With that being said, go HEAT!!!

Clyde Drexler should be in the same conversation with Wade. Clyde's stats are really comparable to Wades and he wins his fair share of the stats battles. That's just one example of someone he has to be a clear cut choice over. I really don't know if Wade cracks the top 5 of all time shooting guards? Probably top ten.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2014, 12:45:48 AM »
Whoever chose DWade over Kobe...

Pass the hashish, my friend!

Kobe WAYYYY ahead of DWade. Consider Wade's ailing knees: doesn't bode well for the longevity of his career. However, he has been stellar in the seasons he has been in the L.

Top 5 is a great argument.
Top 10 is a lock.
SS Marquette