Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo thinks we are good.....even without another big  (Read 10031 times)

moomoo

• Team Captain
Wojo thinks we are good.....even without another big
« on: May 29, 2014, 05:18:59 PM »
"Wojciechowski did not mention any specific unsigned recruits or walk-on players who he is pursuing and added that he is content with the current roster."

6-7 center who basically missed all of last year

6-6 power forward who has not really shown much improvement.

No help until mid December, when a legit center arrives, but he has played very little as well.

I'm not content. In fact, I'm concerned how small we will be forced  to play against some big boys in the BEAST.

Can't find one bruising type to help?
Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Wojo thinks we are good.....even without another big
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 05:38:46 PM »
"Wojciechowski did not mention any specific unsigned recruits or walk-on players who he is pursuing and added that he is content with the current roster."

No help until mid December, when a legit center arrives, but he has played very little as well.

I'm not content. In fact, I'm concerned how small we will be forced  to play against some big boys in the BEAST.

Send him a list of available quality bigs that will be eligible for next season.  I'm sure he hasn't looked into it, and I'm sure he would much appreciate it.  Maybe he'd even offer you a spot on the bench as an assistant coach.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 05:51:32 PM »
Send him a list of available quality bigs that will be eligible for next season.  I'm sure he hasn't looked into it, and I'm sure he would much appreciate it.  Maybe he'd even offer you a spot on the bench as an assistant coach.

Easy does it, wadesworld, don't go hurting yourself.  No need to get sarcastic. Just surprised we couldn't find a serviceable rebounder type, that's all.
Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 06:09:57 PM »
Easy does it, wadesworld, don't go hurting yourself.  No need to get sarcastic. Just surprised we couldn't find a serviceable rebounder type, that's all.

There is nobody left out there. What do you want him to say when there is absolutely no quality big out there that we can possibly land? "We have no post play so I'm desperately looking for a big but can't find any!" 5 minutes after the team sees that article, "Hey Steve and Luke, I can't wait to coach you guys, I have all the confidence in the world in you guys!"
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 06:13:22 PM »

I'm not content. In fact, I'm concerned how small we will be forced  to play against some big boys in the BEAST.

Concern (worry) doesn't accomplish anything. DePaul usually has had a quality big their entire time in the Beast, it hasn't worked out too well for them.  The Beast season doesn't start until after first semester, so we'll have Fischer.  

Wadesworld might have laid it on a little thick, but he has a point given your plea "Can't find one bruising type to help?".  There weren't many (if any) realistic options for this year once Wojo got hired.

Wojo concentrated on getting assistant coaches he had faith in and now seems to be spending his time where it can get a decent return - on the 2015 and 2016 classes.  

BTW, a belated thank you for all the recruiting info you provide.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 06:24:47 PM »
It has become clear that Wojo isn't going the JUCO route and is not interested in just having bodies for practice.   If there was someone available that met his criteria AND WAS WILLING TO COME, I am relatively sure Wojo would have grabbed him. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 08:15:48 PM »
There HAS to be a Euro....or African....or Aussie/Kiwi....or Brazilian/Argentinian....big available!
SS Marquette

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 08:18:50 PM »
You cats are forgettin' 'bout addin' a big walk-on, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 08:23:10 PM »
You cats are forgettin' 'bout addin' a big walk-on, hey?

Think Doug McDermott has any buddies willing to walk on here?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 08:56:51 PM »
It has become clear that Wojo isn't going the JUCO route and is not interested in just having bodies for practice.   If there was someone available that met his criteria AND WAS WILLING TO COME, I am relatively sure Wojo would have grabbed him. 

I wouldn't say this definitely proves that Wojo won't go the juco route. When he took the job there were only two of the top 75 jucos left. One was a guard, the other has a slew of off the court issues and is still uncommitted.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muwar2003

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 10:59:25 PM »
I thought the school made it clear they weren't interested in jucos?   I might be wrong but that is what I heard.

raul

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 11:03:48 PM »
Wojo thinks we are good. But how good? NCAA tournament good? We don't need another big to be good but there are a couple of unused schollies that are still available for 2014, right?.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 11:15:50 PM »
Wojo thinks we are good. But how good? NCAA tournament good? We don't need another big to be good but there are a couple of unused schollies that are still available for 2014, right?.

I think we have 2 open right now.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 11:58:49 PM »

And a plethora of big men to fill them for one year only!
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 12:03:08 AM »
Look we sucked last year and we had a pretty respectable front court. College is a guards game. Carlino, Mayo, Deonte (sorta) and hopefully JJJ and Duane can bring a scoring punch we didn't have from our guards last year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2014, 06:01:38 AM »
I thought the school made it clear they weren't interested in jucos?   I might be wrong but that is what I heard.

There is a school of thought that says that Buzz went to Cords and asked for more JuCo's, returning the frosh players to Humphrey hall, and returning the admission standard for incoming freshmen to the NCAA standard and not the standard set by Larry and Pilarz.   Cords said no.   Buzz aggressively started looking for other employment.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2014, 06:51:45 AM »

I would be shocked is Wojo ever took the JUCO route.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2014, 08:07:04 AM »
I do not know how good we will be, but it should be a more exciting team than last year. More three point shots and fast breaks off of steals. I am hoping Wojo uses a lot of pressing.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2014, 08:12:12 AM »
I would be shocked is Wojo ever took the JUCO route.

It would be very short sighted of Marquette to never sign a JUCO. We have had great success with these kids over the years and should be evaluated on a case by case basis. Why is there such a JUCO backlash from the administration? Now that our conference is weaker than it was, we should utilize all avenues if it improves our team. As long as they can qualify and are "Marquette" people, I don't understand the discrimination against JUCO's.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2014, 08:31:06 AM »
The problem with Jucos is that they often come here without transferable credits because they usually major in PE and Marquette doesn't have a PE program.  That is why the two year Jucos we have had like Jae aren't near graduation...and that's an APR problem.

This is different than the one-year Jucos (JFB, DJO).  Also McKay was different so he committed early and MU was able to work with him on making sure he had transferable classes in a major that MU offered.

This is the reason MU has clamped down on Jucos.  It isn't "discrimination."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2014, 08:32:38 AM »

How many "serviceable" guys do you think are out there that would be eligible for next year?  Just because you are tall, that doesn't mean that you are "serviceable" at the D1 level.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2014, 08:43:10 AM »

Would be really surprised if this team doesn't make the NCAA tournament next spring.  Lots of talent. Fresh coach...new voice....and one that will be a lot more stable I suspect in his rotations.  Our guard play will be SO much better this upcoming year....it will be evident that though it is nice to have a good big like Davante....you can still win at a high clip with good guards....but have bad guards...forget it.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2014, 08:45:16 AM »
The article was fluff, did not say much, what is Wojo suppose to say, I do not like my players, I doubt that.  Basically a nothing article.  There is talent there, we all know that, but not getting
1 more big will be challenging next year.  Hard to believe, he could not get one transfer with 500 out there besides Carlino, who will be a nice addition.  

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2014, 08:45:44 AM »
The problem with Jucos is that they often come here without transferable credits because they usually major in PE and Marquette doesn't have a PE program.  That is why the two year Jucos we have had like Jae aren't near graduation...and that's an APR problem.

This is different than the one-year Jucos (JFB, DJO).  Also McKay was different so he committed early and MU was able to work with him on making sure he had transferable classes in a major that MU offered.

This is the reason MU has clamped down on Jucos.  It isn't "discrimination."

That's why we should look at it on a case by case basis. Maybe we are, but to just flat out say JUCO's are not welcome at Marquette is discriminatory.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2014, 08:47:35 AM »
Do you guys not listen to his interviews? In every single one he says his main goal and focus has been to establish relationships with the current team (which he clearly has) and to focus on 2015 recruiting....he mostly says in state kids. I love that he's banking the schollies and will bring in "his guys" next year rather than grab a useless body just because we have an open scholarship.

Also if we need guys for practice they're always walkons available, plus our whole coaching staff was All Americans.
Bring back FFP!!!

feedback