collapse

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: All-Time NBA Roster with $15  (Read 10697 times)

wadesworld

• All American
All-Time NBA Roster with $15
« on: May 28, 2014, 09:53:00 AM »
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2077569-15-all-time-nba-team-challenge-sweeps-the-internet?is_shared=true

Interesting discussion topic.  For me, Durant definitely is the 3. I think I'd take Shaq at the 5. Duncan definitely at the 4. Jordan at the 2 and I kind of like Stockton at the 1. I'm a big fan of pure point guards. If Jordan wasn't so good I'd be tempted to go with Magic at the 1, Wade at the 2, Durant at the 3, Duncan at the 4, and Russell at the 5.

I am a big believer that Duncan is head and shoulders the best PF to ever play the game. He's a steal for me. Shaq at $2 is also a steal, but it's hard to argue with the 3 above him. Top 2 PGs are, in my opinion, at a level above the next 3. I'd be tempted to switch Kobe and Jerry West, and would definitely switch Wade and Clyde, but Jordan is clearly head and shoulders above any other SG. SF you could interchange basically any of the top 4, and it would've been interesting to see Pippen in his prime where he was the key piece of a team.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
Re: All-Time NBA Roster with $15
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 10:01:05 AM »
My $15 roster would be

PG  Oscar Robertson   $4
SG  Michael Jordan     $5
SF  Kevin Durant        $2
PF  Tim Duncan          $3
C   Hakeem Olajuwon  $1

I think Hakeem for $1 is a steal and don't see any combinations that would top my team  ;D

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 10:02:07 AM »
This is pretty cool.  I'd go Stockton, Jordan, James, KG and Hakeem...and have $1 left over.  (I'm not "upgrading" the PG with Isiah because you already have plenty of offense...I think KG is better than Dirk...and Shaq would clog the lane too much with MJ and LBJ.)

Although I must admit Magic & Durant might be a better combo than Stockton & James.  But it's close.

Some of these guys are underpriced (Duncan is way better than Malone or Barkley), and some are overpriced (Dr. J is in no way shape or form better than Durant).  I think the center position has a ton of bargains.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 10:03:52 AM by The Sultan of Slurpery »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 10:20:44 AM »
Jordan, James, Kareem

3 on 5 and they'd still win

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 10:32:39 AM »
My $15 roster would be

PG  Oscar Robertson   $4
C   Hakeem Olajuwon  $1

I think Hakeem for $1 is a steal and don't see any combinations that would top my team  ;D
agree

reinko

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 10:49:19 AM »
MJ would be the shortest at 6'6", all the other 6'9" and above with range.

Magic: $5
MJ: $5
Durant: $2
Dirk: $2
The Dream: $1

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 10:52:33 AM »
All in their primes?

I go:
Magic $5
Wade $1
LeBron $5
Duncan $3
Hakeem $1

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 10:52:50 AM »
My $15 roster would be

PG  Oscar Robertson   $4
C   Hakeem Olajuwon  $1

I could see going with Shaq for $1 more than Hakeem simply because Shaq knows all 20 of Hakeem's moves.  Otherwise, you're pissing money away with Kareem, Russell, and Chamberlain
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 11:15:38 AM »
I know it's not the most sexy, but this team would be ridiculous on the defensive end.

Stockton $2
Jordan $5
Lebron $5
KG $1
Hakeem $1

It has enough scoring, but probably not enough jump shooting to spread the floor.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 11:44:22 AM »
I know it's not the most sexy, but this team would be ridiculous on the defensive end.

Stockton $2
Jordan $5
Lebron $5
KG $1
Hakeem $1

It has enough scoring, but probably not enough jump shooting to spread the floor.

I actually like that team better than mine from a shooting perspective. KG can hit the midrange J and Stockton can drain an open 3, of which there would be plenty available on that team.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 11:53:31 AM »

Stockton $2
Jordan $5
Lebron $5
KG $1
Hakeem $1

Great minds...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 12:15:27 PM »

Stockton $2
Jordan $5
Lebron $5
KG $1
Hakeem $1

This is what I came up with and a co-worker did the same with no discussion.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 12:52:47 PM »

Great minds...

With this team, you could go under and switch a lot of pick&Roll and not lose a thing. Also, Stockton was not only great at P&R on the offensive end, but he was a really good defender in his prime.

If you really want to get weird, imagine that team playing a zone and allowing them to improvise a little bit.

Offensively, you'd have to find some ways to create space, and that would be a challenge. Stockton, Jordan and Lebron are all best with the ball, so you'd have to find ways to keep the ball moving the the floor spread out.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 01:48:31 PM »
I'd have to go with:

Oscar Robertson: $4
Michael Jordan: $5
Kevin Durant: $2
Tim Duncan: $3
Hakeem Olajuwon: $1

Hakeem is a steal for a buck!

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 01:48:50 PM »
Magic $5
Jordan $5
Pippen $1
Duncan $3
Olajuwon $1

All around clutch players, chemistry at 2 and 3, complete court vision at 1 and 3, and defensive juggernauts at 2 thru 5 with a long point guard, the ultimate finisher at 2. Unbeatable in any series.

Olajuwon at $1 makes no sense.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 02:05:38 PM »
If you want to take this to the existential, I don't think you would want to put Jordan and James on the same team... sure, you might have the two greatest individual players of all time, but would they play well with each other?  Who gets to take the winning shot in Game 7?  Who gets front billing on the team poster?  Whose shoes does the team wear?  Who gets to drive the golf cart?  How's MJ going to feel about his teammate flopping like a flounder on the floor?

Too much risk, IMO, to put those egos together on the same floor.  I think you're better off with either MJ-Bird or LBJ-Kobe than MJ-LBJ... you're going to want a combination where there isn't going to be pressure on one-upping your teammate.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2014, 02:07:26 PM »
I don't think LBJ has near the ego that MJ...or Kobe...has.  I think they would actually complement one another quite well.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2014, 02:33:21 PM »
Frazier $1
Wade $1
LeBron $5
Barkley $4
Russell $4

Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2014, 02:58:55 PM »
If you want to take this to the existential, I don't think you would want to put Jordan and James on the same team... sure, you might have the two greatest individual players of all time, but would they play well with each other?  Who gets to take the winning shot in Game 7?  Who gets front billing on the team poster?  Whose shoes does the team wear?  Who gets to drive the golf cart?  How's MJ going to feel about his teammate flopping like a flounder on the floor?

Too much risk, IMO, to put those egos together on the same floor.  I think you're better off with either MJ-Bird or LBJ-Kobe than MJ-LBJ... you're going to want a combination where there isn't going to be pressure on one-upping your teammate.

The dream teams have worked out pretty well

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2014, 03:42:42 PM »
I spent way more time than I should have, but I took the full-career WS48 for each player and then made a quick optimization model.

The best team possible regardless of salary is:
C   Chamberlain
PF   Barkley
PG   Magic
SF   Lebron
SG   Jordan
The total salary is $22. The team would have a combined WS48 of 1.182 (which is as impossible as assembling this team).

The best team I could find with the salary constraints is:
C   Chamberlain   $3   0.248
PF   Duncan   $3   0.211
PG   Stockton   $2   0.209
SF   Durant   $2   0.205
SG   Jordan   $5   0.25
The team would have a combined WS48 of 1.123.

Runner up is:
PF   Nowitzki   $2   0.208
SF   Lebron   $5   0.243
SG   West   $3   0.213
With a combined WS48 of 1.121
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2014, 03:48:34 PM »
I spent way more time than I should have, but I took the full-career WS48 for each player and then made a quick optimization model.

C   Chamberlain
PF   Barkley
PG   Magic
SF   Lebron
SG   Jordan
The total salary is $22. The team would have a combined WS48 of 1.182 (which is as impossible as assembling this team).

PF   Duncan   $3   0.211
SF   Durant   $2   0.205
SG   Jordan   $5   0.25

Runner up is:
SF   Lebron   $5   0.243
SG   West   $3   0.213

Looks like my team but I wanted a Seroogy peanut butter candy bar so I took Shaq at center and spent my saved dollar on my appetite. And I didn't do all the nerdy number finding (kidding).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2014, 04:04:14 PM »

C   Chamberlain
PF   Barkley
PG   Magic
SF   Lebron
SG   Jordan

PF   Duncan   $3   0.211
SF   Durant   $2   0.205
SG   Jordan   $5   0.25

Runner up is:
SF   Lebron   $5   0.243
SG   West   $3   0.213

Ha awesome. I actually thought about doing this, thanks for saving me the time

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2014, 08:15:08 PM »
1: Magic $5
2: Jordan $5
3: Durant $2
4: Nowitzki $2
5: Hakeem $1

It has recently been made clear to me that it is a guards' game. Spend your money there.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2014, 09:45:58 PM »
Looks like my team but I wanted a Seroogy peanut butter candy bar so I took Shaq at center and spent my saved dollar on my appetite. And I didn't do all the nerdy number finding (kidding).

mmmm.....Seroogy's

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2014, 10:28:56 PM »
This is pretty cool.  I'd go Stockton, Jordan, James, KG and Hakeem...and have $1 left over.  (I'm not "upgrading" the PG with Isiah because you already have plenty of offense...I think KG is better than Dirk...and Shaq would clog the lane too much with MJ and LBJ.)

Although I must admit Magic & Durant might be a better combo than Stockton & James.  But it's close.

Some of these guys are underpriced (Duncan is way better than Malone or Barkley), and some are overpriced (Dr. J is in no way shape or form better than Durant).  I think the center position has a ton of bargains.

The only thing Durant does better than Julius did is shoot the 3. Julius had the ballhandling skills and passing ability of a PG, was a powerful player around the rim, was a far superior rebounder, was a good defender and was a natural scorer.

I'm not saying Durant isn't a better "value" in this little fantasy team exercise, but if you think Durant is head and shoulders above Julius, I'm wondering if you ever really saw Julius play ... especially his years in the ABA, when he was a revelation. A great clutch player, too.

Jordan often said that when he grew up, he wanted to be the next Dr. J.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback