collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cat saves boy from dog attack.  (Read 13396 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Cat saves boy from dog attack.
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2014, 08:04:24 AM »
Love em both.  Have cats now, will have a dog when they die off.  I love that I can take a vacation and don't have to worry about asking people to dog sit, or having to board them.  As long as there is food, water, and a clean box the cats are fine. 

Dogs aren't as smart (by a long shot), but you can do a lot more with a dog.  Try taking a cat for a walk or throw a stick in the water for it to retrieve.

Plus, dogs smell all over.  Sure cat crap smells, but it is limited to a small box, not my entire yard.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2014, 08:42:59 AM »
Cats and dogs.... you're all hairy wet cats and pups.

We all know who the KING of the housepets is:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/e/Z1Xujm9oEUg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/e/Z1Xujm9oEUg</a>
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2014, 09:55:15 AM »
Prefer dogs, but I have to say that with my job I'm thinking of getting a cat. Since I either sleep or work 20-21 hours a day, I'm not sure I'd be the best dog owner.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2014, 10:44:21 AM »

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2014, 11:44:37 AM »

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2014, 08:14:05 AM »
Love em both.  Have cats now, will have a dog when they die off.  I love that I can take a vacation and don't have to worry about asking people to dog sit, or having to board them.  As long as there is food, water, and a clean box the cats are fine. 

Dogs aren't as smart (by a long shot), but you can do a lot more with a dog.  Try taking a cat for a walk or throw a stick in the water for it to retrieve.

Plus, dogs smell all over.  Sure cat crap smells, but it is limited to a small box, not my entire yard.

Not according to Oxford (or anybody that has spent more than 5 minutes with either species)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/03/dogs-are-smarter-than-cat_n_790727.html
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2014, 08:41:25 AM »
Not according to Oxford (or anybody that has spent more than 5 minutes with either species)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/03/dogs-are-smarter-than-cat_n_790727.html

Sounds like a pretty dubious bit of research.  Dogs have been bred to thrive with humans, and bred to please humans.  Cats don't need humans to survive, so why bother doing what they want? 

If we really want to talk about smart animals, let's talk about crows.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2014, 02:59:23 PM »
Sounds like a pretty dubious bit of research.  Dogs have been bred to thrive with humans, and bred to please humans.  Cats don't need humans to survive, so why bother doing what they want? 

If we really want to talk about smart animals, let's talk about crows.

As I recall, Heckle was pretty on-the-ball.  Jeckle on the other hand... not so much.  Or maybe it was just the British accent.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2014, 03:12:04 PM »
As I recall, Heckle was pretty on-the-ball.  Jeckle on the other hand... not so much.  Or maybe it was just the British accent.

I hated that cartoon.  Just hated it.

And my dog is a dumbass.  But I prefer it to a cat.

mueron

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2014, 05:46:06 PM »
Hmmm have a dog and two cats. Have to say if I had to get rid of the dog or the cats I would get rid of the dog. Dogs are just a little too needy, at least for me having two young children. Of course this is just an opinion and anybody who says "I can't believe anybody would prefer dogs/cats herrrr derrrr is just being an idiot.

muwarrior69

• All American

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2014, 07:16:57 AM »
Well, can a cat do this?

http://www.dogsdetectcancer.org/dogs-detect-cancer-blog/can-dogs-smell-cancer

They can; they simply choose not to share the information with human beings.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 09:23:51 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2014, 09:03:48 AM »
The can; they simply choose not to share the information with human beings.

So a dog is truly man's best friend.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2014, 10:11:11 AM »
So a dog is truly man's best friend.

Cats recognize the overpopulation problem the world is facing and are letting mother nature run it's course. Dogs are looking to get a free milkbone and that's their only motivation to sniff out cancer.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2014, 11:23:32 AM »
Cats recognize the overpopulation problem the world is facing and are letting mother nature run it's course. Dogs are looking to get a free milkbone and that's their only motivation to sniff out cancer.
So cats respect the process?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2014, 08:47:22 PM »
So cats respect the process?

Yep, they wait until one is doomed, then provide a little comfort:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_(therapy_cat)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2014, 10:34:29 PM »
Have to say if I had to get rid of the dog or the cats I would get rid of the dog. Dogs are just a little too needy, at least for me having two young children.

I have no idea of the statistical relevance but in my life I have met at least 5 people who in youth lost an eye to cats. I wouldn't have a cat myself but our daughter always seemed to bring one home over the years. I always fretted about those damn claws but she escaped unscathed. 

Death on call

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2014, 09:25:39 AM »
I have no idea of the statistical relevance but in my life I have met at least 5 people who in youth lost an eye to cats. I wouldn't have a cat myself but our daughter always seemed to bring one home over the years. I always fretted about those damn claws but she escaped unscathed. 

Uhhh... that's bizarre. NON-ISSUE!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2014, 10:54:11 AM »
Uhhh... that's bizarre. NON-ISSUE!

The other thing is cats always put their butt holes in your face. I was sad to see our daughter leave home but thrilled with silver lining of not having to ever host another cat.

Death on call

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2014, 12:42:35 PM »
The other thing is cats always put their butt holes in your face. I was sad to see our daughter leave home but thrilled with silver lining of not having to ever host another cat.

ZFB's dog does the butt thing as well (although he was trained to do so). Your view of cats as being eye-clawing brutes who maim children and throw their bungs in your face shows an unjustified and deep prejudice against felines. They are majestic, intelligent creatures.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2014, 04:52:03 PM »
ZFB's dog does the butt thing as well (although he was trained to do so). Your view of cats as being eye-clawing brutes who maim children and throw their bungs in your face shows an unjustified and deep prejudice against felines. They are majestic, intelligent creatures.

You made me feel so bad about my uncalled for attacks on cats that I had a change of heart. I now have a deep appreciation for their sophisticated approach to life.  To solidify my new found commitment to cats I got a tattoo honoring the feline spirit.

Death on call

tower912

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2014, 06:10:19 PM »
I am firmly in the 'meh' category.   I've had dogs, but I don't need another one.   The appeal of cats is completely lost on me.   If there was never another pet in my household, I would be ok.   I know, however, that I will eventually get outvoted by my wife and we will end up with another....thing. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2014, 06:26:39 PM »

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2014, 06:36:23 PM »