Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East vs Big Ten Challenge at MSG?  (Read 13458 times)

Irishdawg

• Walk-On
Re: Big East vs Big Ten Challenge at MSG?
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2014, 08:42:14 PM »
I don't see any downside to this.  It does reinforce the B10's desire to grow their brand in the northeast but that really isn't a problem for the BE.

Agree completely.  The Big Ten is already in the majority of the markets that the Big East is in, other than Providence, especially with the addition of Maryland and Rutgers.  They already are in the metro markets, and in many cases already have a big presence in that market so they aren't gaining anything in terms of recruiting.  For the Big East though, and just as importantly, Fox Sports 1, this is big.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2014, 09:32:21 PM »
Fox sports will make this work, they are masters at working their way into new ventures. NFL being the prime example, they came into it rolling and never looked back. That's why we have to hold off judgment on the state of the BE. We are going to get a lot of exposure as they build their brand.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2014, 09:46:07 PM »
Big East Record vs. the Big Ten in 2013:
Butler: 1-0 (Purdue)
Creighton: 1-0 (Nebraska)
DePaul: 1-0 (Northwestern)
Georgetown: 1-0 (Michigan State)
Marquette: 0-2 (Ohio State, Wisconsin)
Providence: 0-0
Seton Hall: 1-0 (Rutgers)
St. John's: 0-2 (Penn State, Wisconsin)
Villanova: 1-0 (Iowa)
Xavier: 0-1 (Iowa)

So 6-5 this season, which isn't too bad, should be interesting at least.

Your numbers are off

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2014, 10:08:26 PM »
The other problem I see is that the Big Ten gets much better visibility by playing in the BE home cities than vice versa.  

Its not like the Big East teams will gain much through visits to destination like Lincoln, Urbana, or West Lafayette. Meanwhile, the Big Ten will get to add marquee destinations in talent-rich markets like Chicago, Indianapolis and New York.  

Marquette will get a ton of visibility from playing at MSU or U of M. Lots of good recruits in those markets that we can showcase in front of.

Irishdawg

• Walk-On
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2014, 06:54:50 AM »
Your numbers are off

Which game(s) did I miss?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2014, 08:50:43 AM »
The Big East has a deal on FS1 and (per Chicos) Fox owns 51% of the Big Ten Network.

Dude... why quote Chicos when there's another internets source that is notoriously more reputable?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ten_Network

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2014, 09:49:43 AM »
Big East Record vs. the Big Ten in 2013:
Butler: 1-0 (Purdue)
Creighton: 1-0 (Nebraska)
DePaul: 1-0 (Northwestern)
Georgetown: 1-0 (Michigan State)
Marquette: 0-2 (Ohio State, Wisconsin)
Providence: 0-0
Seton Hall: 1-0 (Rutgers)
St. John's: 0-2 (Penn State, Wisconsin)
Villanova: 1-0 (Iowa)
Xavier: 0-1 (Iowa)

So 6-5 this season, which isn't too bad, should be interesting at least.

If you are going to count Seton Hall's win over Rutgers, you have to count Providence's loss to Maryland.

So 6-6. So as you said, should be interesting.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2014, 09:51:32 AM »
I thought the Big East was playing Big Ten, so it's the SEC.

When you factor in money, market population, and alumni base, the B1G is arguably the most powerful.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2014, 11:48:37 AM »
Wonder if I4 will still be around by the 15-16 season.

Tucker: I don't think I've seen a girl that mean before. Are you sure she's a chick? And not a guy? Or like, part guy part shark?

Church: She got recruited into some kind of weird experimental program back during basic where they infused her Nimrod hoodie with this really aggressive A.I. I'm not really sure how it all works, but all I know is it made her meaner and tougher than hell.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 12:08:26 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2014, 01:25:35 PM »

Dude... why quote Chicos when there's another internets source that is notoriously more reputable?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ten_Network

Come on now, that's not nice.

I may have been quite involved in the first deal for BTN and may know a bit about how they operate.  May.   ;)

I wouldn't use Wiki, here's one

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2011/09/01/College-Football-Preview/College-Football-Media-Notes.aspx

« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 01:27:41 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2014, 01:25:51 PM »
Which game(s) did I miss?

Rutgers wasn't in the Big Ten last year

brandx

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2014, 01:36:41 PM »
I'm excited about this only as long as the Big East is competitive.  If it can't be, I don't want to get our butts handed to us every year.  This past year, it would have been ugly.  The Big East has to step things up a lot to make this a good series year in and year out.  

I think it is interesting that this is happening now. Why not 3 years ago when the BE was the strongest conference around. Does the B10 perceive the BE to be weaker now so it is in their self-interest to make the deal?

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2014, 02:09:39 PM »
It might have to do with the B1G TV deal coming up.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2014, 02:13:25 PM »
It might have to do with the B1G TV deal coming up.

Pretty much everything the B10 does like this needs to be looked at through that lens.  They are increasing their presence in the northeast, and perhaps putting pressure on ESPN when the B10's television contract ends at the end of 2015-16.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2014, 02:15:20 PM »
Hope they dont play Illinois. I would have some major problems watching either of those teams lose.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2014, 09:05:04 AM »
I think it is interesting that this is happening now. Why not 3 years ago when the BE was the strongest conference around. Does the B10 perceive the BE to be weaker now so it is in their self-interest to make the deal?

3 years ago the BE had their series with the SEC going on, BE probably had no desire to pursue another series.

Additionally 3 years ago the B1G hadn't added Maryland and Rutgers and wasn't looking for East Coast exposure the way they are now. It has nothing to do with them thinking the BE is weak. It's to get them exposure in NYC, Philadelphia, DC, Providence.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2014, 09:16:18 AM »
3 years ago the BE had their series with the SEC going on, BE probably had no desire to pursue another series.

Additionally 3 years ago the B1G hadn't added Maryland and Rutgers and wasn't looking for East Coast exposure the way they are now. It has nothing to do with them thinking the BE is weak. It's to get them exposure in NYC, Philadelphia, DC, Providence.

There's no room for your sound logic and reason around here, Hoya.  Back to the Lyceum with you.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2014, 09:26:33 AM »

Furthermore, they had been getting their ass handed to them for years in the ACC challenge.  Now they are beginning to show the upper hand.

Why would they be looking for intentionally weak conferences *now*?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2014, 09:34:39 AM »

We went 5-5 against them last season (6-6 if you count Maryland and Rutgers). So it's not like they are getting 8 games that are auto victories for them
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2014, 10:14:47 AM »
and today it was announced the BIG Whatever-it-is-now conference will play their championship tourney in DC in 2017

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2014, 12:08:44 PM »
and today it was announced the BIG Whatever-it-is-now conference will play their championship tourney in DC in 2017

I mentioned this previously, and I heard on WFAN the Rock was trying to lure the Big10 Championship to Newark at some point.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2014, 12:09:32 PM »

I will point this out....that will be the first year of their new television contract.

Jet915

• Starter

1318WWells

• Starter
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2014, 07:22:28 AM »
My money says our first game in this event is MU vs Northwestern.  Wojo vs Collins.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2014, 07:29:59 AM »
I mentioned this previously, and I heard on WFAN the Rock was trying to lure the Big10 Championship to Newark at some point.

The best thing about Newark is the collection of Spanish restaurants just down the road from the Rock. I like Forno's but the Tavern is excellent, too. 

Death on call

feedback