collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Best Pizza  (Read 29418 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Best Pizza
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2015, 09:01:19 AM »
Who doesn't love a Lady Bush Pilot...

Gotta be able to navigate thru all sorts of terrain doe, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2015, 01:41:46 PM »

Gotta be able to navigate thru all sorts of terrain doe, ai na?

The problem with this cockpit view is that the best Bush Pilots fly solo and use a stick

Death on call

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2015, 06:46:34 PM »
I had both pequods and Lou Malnati's over the last few days. Pequods back cheese crust was great, but their bottom crust was a little too burnt. Sauce and sausage were both good but there wasn't nearly enough cheese. Lou's crust, sauce and cheese were all great but honestly I think they put too much sausage on the pizza. If I could create the perfect pizza it would be with pequods back crust and sausage, along with Lou's sauce, cheese and bottom crust. Both places were great, but edge goes to Lou's

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2015, 11:54:30 AM »
Agree to disagree, I'll take Pequod's over Lou's any day of the week.

My wife's favorite is Lou's, however. We order from one of those 2 places 80% of the time.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2015, 07:57:04 AM »
I thought everyone might like to read the soap opera of what happens when a family tries to sell an iconic pizza place that has been open since 1932 and is related to the equally famous pizza place down the street.
(Watching Frank Sinatra's 100 Birthday show last night reminded me that this was his favorite pizza joint.)
FYI while reading - Hugh Keefe (no relation to the Scoop Keefe) is the local "celebrity" attorney.  If there's a high profile court case or known name in court he usually is the defense attorney in the case. 

http://www.nhregister.com/business/20151205/bid-to-sell-new-havens-iconic-sallys-apizza-a-tangled-saga

Bid to sell New Haven’s iconic Sally’s Apizza a tangled saga

By Mary O’Leary, moleary@nhregister.com, @nhrmoleary on Twitter
Posted: 12/05/15, 8:45 PM EST | Updated: 20 secs ago

NEW HAVEN >> Selling a famous pizzeria is not easy.

The prospective sale of Sally’s Apizza on Wooster Street has generated two lawsuits after the owners turned down a $3.1 million offer, with the decision on one of the suits now before the Connecticut Appellate Court.

Attorney Hugh Keefe and some of his relatives figure in the complex story, as does a longtime city business and a popular restaurant. And Frank Pepe’s Pizzeria Napoletana, a friendly rival with familial connections to Sally’s, was one of the losing bidders, according to documents.

So far the search for a buyer has involved seven attorneys from four law firms, and it has been more than two years since the process began.

The dispute in the first suit goes back to discussion of a partnership among six people in November 2013; the group referred to themselves as Al Dente LLC, the phrase used to describe pasta when it is cooked to the right degree of “toothiness.”

One part of the first court suit was over whether Al Dente LLC had legally firmed up as a partnership when Carmine Capasso submitted a $3,133,000 bid for the iconic pizzeria, topping Pepe’s by $83,000 in the second and — what Capasso considered to be the final — round of bidding, according to court filings.

Brothers Richard and Robert Consiglio and sister Ruth Consiglio put the pizzeria on the market sometime after their mother, Flo Consiglio, died in September 2012.

Richard Consiglio, approached as he came to work at Sally’s Friday evening, had no comment on the effort to sell the popular pizzeria.

In addition to Capasso, who is the president of G.L. Capasso, and his brother Vincenzo Capasso, vice president of the 40-year-old structural restoration company, the other original Al Dente members were attorney Tara Knight, wife of Keefe; her sister, Kristen Keslow and her husband, Marc Keslow; and Guiseppe DeLucia, one of the owners of Portofino’s Restaurant in New Haven.

The six hired the law firm of Brenner, Saltzman & Wallman and were represented by attorneys Jennifer Deakin and Samuel Hurwitz when acting as Al Dente LLC, but not as individuals. Al Dente was described as a “to-be-formed Connecticut limited liability company.”

Flo Consiglio and her husband, Salvatore “Sally” Consiglio, founded the low-key pizzeria, famous for its thin-crust tomato pies, in 1938 in the city’s Little Italy area, serving generations of families; Salvatore died in 1989.

The initial round of bids, according to documents, generated six potential buyers, who submitted prices ranging from $1 million to $2.8 million. In the second round, it was only Al Dente LLC and Pepe’s who weighed in.

Ken Berry, chief executive officer of Frank Pepe’s Development Co. LLC, said he didn’t realize they were the second-highest bidder at that point, but in any event, they have not submitted any bids since 2014.

“For us, it’s all kind of a dead issue,” Berry said.

Pepe’s has successfully expanded its locations throughout Connecticut, New York state and most recently, Massachusetts. Frank Pepe started his business in 1925; it is now run by a third generation of the family. Sal Consiglio, Frank Pepe’s nephew, opened Sally’s Apizza with Pepe’s blessing, according to Gary Bimonte, Frank Pepe’s grandson, who is helping to expand Pepe’s nationally.

The proposed contract from Al Dente LLC for Sally’s Apizza, dated Dec. 3, 2013, covered the purchase of the real estate at 237 and 245 Wooster St., which is the location of the business and an adjacent parking lot at Wooster and Olive streets that is named for the famous local couple.

The price also included the inventory, the rights to the Sally’s Apizza name, and all the equipment, including the coal-fired pizza oven.

The proposed contract had Richard and Robert Consiglio entering a four-month transition period of 24 hours a week at $50 an hour to educate and train the new buyer as to the operation of the business and preparation of all the menu items.

It also required a seven-year non-compete clause that included immediate family members with a geographic scope that covered Connecticut, all of New England, New York and New Jersey.

After negotiations with the Consiglios, it was amended and submitted on May 14, 2014, as the final bid to reflect the requests of the family, according to court documents.

It covered such things as giving Ruth Consiglio a license to maintain and harvest the grapevine between the restaurant and the Episcopal Church of St. Paul & St. James. Capasso also agreed that Al Dente would pay $50,000 to the siblings for each additional Sally’s location that was opened within the next 15 years.

Ultimately, the Consiglios did not counter-sign the proposed contract signed by Carmine Capasso, and Capasso’s deposit check for $333,000, submitted on May 14, 2014, was later returned to him.

Al Dente LLC wasn’t officially incorporated until May 14, 2014, when Hurwitz filed the LLC with the Secretary of the State’s Office.

Capasso and Al Dente sued the Consiglios on Aug. 10, 2014, claiming breach of contract and one count of violation of the Connecticut Unfair Trade Practices Act when the property was not conveyed.

They are represented by attorney Laurence V. Parnoff of Bridgeport. Parnoff said his case is based on a July 8, 2014, letter from Deakin where she claims the brothers agreed with Capasso’s terms that he would not participate in the second round of bids if they were not sealed and if the bidding could be reopened. She said Al Dente did not want its bids used as a basis to negotiate a higher price later on.

Deakin, in the letter, said on May 14, 2014, the same day Capasso submitted the amended proposed contract, that Robert Lynch, a partner with Keefe, called her office. According to Deakin’s letter, Lynch said the Consiglios wanted to explore other offers and that Ruth Consiglio wished to sell to Pepe’s, “but that Sally’s would come back to Al Dente to see if it would be willing to match any higher offers they may receive.”

Parnoff said Capasso was not contacted to match any higher offers and he questioned if there ever were any. Deakin, in her letter, said there were at least two higher offers.

It gets more complicated.

In an Aug. 26, 2014, letter, Tara Knight, Marc Keslow, Kristen Keslow and Alphonse DeLucia indicated that they had voted not to join Capasso’s suit and that he could not sue on behalf of Al Dente LLC.

The original list of members in Al Dente included Guiseppe DeLucia, not Alphonse DeLucia, but Knight said as representatives of Portofino’s, the pair shared membership in Al Dente.

Knight said Capasso dissolved the original Al Dente LLC and reformulated it with his brother, Vincenzo Capasso.

“I’m surprised she said that,” Parnoff said.

On Aug. 10, 2015, Judge Matthew Frechette granted the Consiglios’ motion for summary judgment, dismissing Capasso’s claims, ruling the proposed contract was never signed by the owners of Sally’s and the high bid gave Al Dente only the right to negotiate.

Parnoff, in his challenge to the summary judgment ruling, noted that Capasso, in an affidavit, said Knight said that her husband, Keefe, was the sales representative/broker for Sally’s working for a commission contingent on the purchase price.

“That is totally false,” Knight said in a phone interview. She said he was the attorney for Sally’s. Keefe characterized Capasso’s statement as “an allegation.”

The Lynch, Traub, Keefe & Errante law firm represented the Estate of Flora (Flo) Consiglio, as well as Richard and Robert Consiglio in the suit with Robert Lynch signing much of the correspondence and Keefe authoring several briefs.

Attorney Lawrence J. Greenberg of Bernblum and Greenberg represented Ruth Consiglio.

Capasso has said, according to court documents, that Knight, the Keslows and the DeLucias were investors.

The summary judgment ruling is now on appeal. Parnoff said questions of fact remain; both Keefe and Parnoff predict they will prevail in their efforts at the higher court level.

Complicating the sale further is a second suit that has been filed in the case, with Richard and Robert Consiglio suing Carmen Capasso and Al Dente LLC, as now incorporated, charging them with vexatious litigation, abuse of process and tortious interference with a business expectancy.

The Consiglios say that after negotiations with Capasso failed, he became aware that a sale was pending to a separate buyer. They accuse him of carrying out his suit only to stall the sale of Sally’s Apizza to someone else and, as an attorney, he should have known he did not have a case.

They further charge that Al Dente LLC has only two members, Carmen and Vincenzo Capasso, and they incorporated only to sue Sally’s owners. The Consiglios are seeking compensatory and punitive damages.

Stay tuned.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2015, 07:49:57 PM »
Hope all this pizza crust is non diary, no wheat, non GMO for y'all's sake, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2021, 01:52:42 PM »
Bumping this because I’m wondering if there are any pizza places in the Milwaukee area that makes a decent Detroit style pizza? I’m a big fan of Detroit style but don’t know of any in the area.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2021, 02:04:25 PM »
Bumping this because I’m wondering if there are any pizza places in the Milwaukee area that makes a decent Detroit style pizza? I’m a big fan of Detroit style but don’t know of any in the area.

I know Flourchild has done a couple pop-up things with Detroit style, but outside of that I'm not sure.

If you're ever interested in making it at home, the Food Lab recipe is excellent.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2021, 02:24:40 PM »
I know Flourchild has done a couple pop-up things with Detroit style, but outside of that I'm not sure.

If you're ever interested in making it at home, the Food Lab recipe is excellent.

I second using Kenji's recipe. I have tweaked a bit and personally think I make the best Detroit style in Chicago. Once you got the pan it'll become a staple in your house. Also being in WI will make access to brick cheese easy.
But I like to throw handfuls...

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2021, 04:49:14 PM »

Eye'm knot inta it, kin. Butt just saw a Pizza Hut commercial four it, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2021, 05:36:29 PM »

Little Caesars would be good for you.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2021, 06:26:22 PM »
Little Caesars would be good for you.

Jets, hey?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2021, 06:28:16 PM »
I second using Kenji's recipe. I have tweaked a bit and personally think I make the best Detroit style in Chicago.

Go on...

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2021, 08:19:25 PM »
Kids got me the pizza oven accessory for my Green Mountain grill. The stone is supposed to get to 900 degrees. Looking forward to giving it a whirl when it gets a bit nicer out.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2021, 10:52:39 PM »
Kids got me the pizza oven accessory for my Green Mountain grill. The stone is supposed to get to 900 degrees. Looking forward to giving it a whirl when it gets a bit nicer out.

It hit 40 today....

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2021, 04:41:22 AM »
40 today, -15 one week ago..

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2021, 09:53:34 AM »

As mentioned, you have the new Pizza Hut Detroit Style.  I tried it on the first day of release and it was awful - perhaps it has improved since then.

Little Caesars and Jets are both pretty good but they are not "true" Detroit Style since the sauce isn't on the top.

Locally, there is Even Odds in Grafton, which makes a pretty good Detroit Style, although the crust is not quite deep enough for me.  The other local place is Pizza Shuttle, which is the best Detroit Style that I've had in Milwaukee.

I would also put in a shout out for Lucille if you are ever in Madison.  Their steel pan pizza is really good.

If you want to make your own, check out https://detroitstylepizza.com/ - they sell the traditional steel backing pans and a pizza dough mix that is very good.

You can also go to https://www.buddyspizza.com/ and have their pizza shipped frozen.  Buddy's, of course, is the "original" Detroit Style pizza place.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2021, 10:27:06 AM »
...Pizza Shuttle...

I remember Pizza Shuttle from my time at Marquette - particularly sophomore year. It seems like they were new - or at least new in the neighborhood - but I don't know for sure. I remember that they stamped coupons on the lids of their boxes and my roommate and I used to harvest those coupons from the trash rooms in our dorm. Got some cheap/free pizza that way. PS was our "go to" pizza place when when we lived at West.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2021, 11:24:26 AM »
As mentioned, you have the new Pizza Hut Detroit Style.  I tried it on the first day of release and it was awful - perhaps it has improved since then.

Little Caesars and Jets are both pretty good but they are not "true" Detroit Style since the sauce isn't on the top.

Locally, there is Even Odds in Grafton, which makes a pretty good Detroit Style, although the crust is not quite deep enough for me.  The other local place is Pizza Shuttle, which is the best Detroit Style that I've had in Milwaukee.

I would also put in a shout out for Lucille if you are ever in Madison.  Their steel pan pizza is really good.

If you want to make your own, check out https://detroitstylepizza.com/ - they sell the traditional steel backing pans and a pizza dough mix that is very good.

You can also go to https://www.buddyspizza.com/ and have their pizza shipped frozen.  Buddy's, of course, is the "original" Detroit Style pizza place.

Excellent. Thank you!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2021, 01:26:38 PM »

Never mind "Detroit Style", your first problem was the used phrase Pizza Hut followed by Little Caesar's neither of which is pizza to begin with.
I know Season 2 of The Food That Made America is using the Domino's vs Pizza Hut rivalry as what popularized pizza in the USA, but beyond that they're all inedible unless your a broke college student or drunk.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2021, 02:09:30 PM »
Never mind "Detroit Style", your first problem was the used phrase Pizza Hut followed by Little Caesar's neither of which is pizza to begin with.
I know Season 2 of The Food That Made America is using the Domino's vs Pizza Hut rivalry as what popularized pizza in the USA, but beyond that they're all inedible unless your a broke college student or drunk.

I don't disagree, but the question was "where can you find Detroit Style pizza in the Milwaukee area?"  Little Caesar's is Detroit based, so they have some connection to the style of pizza (and in a pinch their Detroit Style it isn't too horrible).  Pizza Hut was awful, as I stated.