[June 08, 2024, 07:03:51 PM]

And The New...... by Tyler COLEk
[June 08, 2024, 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[June 08, 2024, 11:31:50 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[June 08, 2024, 10:56:27 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Brett Nelson- 3rd assistant- What in the ____?  (Read 11345 times)

Blackhat

• All American
Brett Nelson- 3rd assistant- What in the ____?
« on: April 30, 2014, 11:39:46 AM »
That is what we were waiting for in a third assistant?

The "Every mediocre pg from the 90's" staff.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 11:41:17 AM by Stone Cold »

TVDirector

• All American

Windyplayer

• All American
Re: Brett Nelson- 3rd assistant- What in the ____?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 11:44:37 AM »
Such a blast from the past. I remember watching that guy play for the Gators as a young lad.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 11:45:39 AM »
That is what we were waiting for in a third assistant?

The "Every mediocre pg from the 90's" staff.

You may not like the hire but calling an All-American who was one of the best PGs Donovan has had at Florida "mediocre" seems silly.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 11:47:51 AM »
Half of Drake's terrible staff from a couple years ago is now here.   We got them.  We did it!!

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 11:49:57 AM »
You may not like the hire but calling an All-American who was one of the best PGs Donovan has had at Florida "mediocre" seems silly.

That country bumpkin was more hype, jacked up shots left and right.  Shot 29% from the field his senior year. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 11:51:59 AM »
He left a gig as the "the associate head coach" at Ball State to be the third assistant at MU?  Hmm, I guess we pay our third assistant more than Ball State pays their the associate head coach.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 11:53:22 AM »
That country bumpkin was more hype, jacked up shots left and right.  Shot 29% from the field his senior year. 

I guess finishing 2nd for sec player of the year is all hype.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 11:53:35 AM »

So Autry, Chew and Wainwright were big names, I do not think so.  Nelson played, Wojo played, Carrawell, and Gainey played, I am sure they understand the game.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 12:01:50 PM »

I'm betting he just "rubbed" you the wrong way and you've held on for damn near 15 years.

The good news is that Evan Daniels, recruiting analyst for Scout, thinks Nelson is an excellent hire.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 12:22:01 PM »
Can he recruit, though? The other 2 assistants aren't necessarily noted for their recruiting chops.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 12:26:52 PM »
maybe the instructions were to become the next drake, not the next duke...

Can we still shoot for being SLU?   :)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 12:29:04 PM »
Can he recruit, though? The other 2 assistants aren't necessarily noted for their recruiting chops.

Ball State associate head coaches are known for their recruiting prowess.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

amen426

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 12:30:33 PM »
Who would you prefer as a hire?

Nelson is a young guy (only 33) – but has the credibility of being called a Former All-American basketball player. He played on 4 straight NCAA Tournament teams at Florida. Played under Billy Donovan. Played at a Blue-blood program – just like Carawell, and Wojo.

Three of our coaches have played at “blue-blood” programs. At the very least, when they go to talk to the Diamond Stone, Henry Ellenson’s of the world – they can offer up their perspective from when they left their home-state to play at a big-time program. It will probably take years before we are able to land a prospect of that caliber. But I will say, that these coaches have a certain level of big time college playing experience that Buzz and his staff could not relate to.

Just a general observation, here. For Buzz and his staff, it seemed as though they tried to appeal to a recruit’s mother, during their pitch (among other things). On first glance, it looks like Wojo and his staff, may actually be able to appeal to a recruits father.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 12:35:28 PM »

I don't know, Mark Phelps was the lead recruiter at Missouri for Namon Wright and Wright was as good or better than any of the recruits Marquette signed last fall.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 12:42:48 PM »
Who would you prefer as a hire?

Nelson is a young guy (only 33) – but has the credibility of being called a Former All-American basketball player. He played on 4 straight NCAA Tournament teams at Florida. Played under Billy Donovan. Played at a Blue-blood program – just like Carawell, and Wojo.

Three of our coaches have played at “blue-blood” programs. At the very least, when they go to talk to the Diamond Stone, Henry Ellenson’s of the world – they can offer up their perspective from when they left their home-state to play at a big-time program. It will probably take years before we are able to land a prospect of that caliber. But I will say, that these coaches have a certain level of big time college playing experience that Buzz and his staff could not relate to.

Just a general observation, here. For Buzz and his staff, it seemed as though they tried to appeal to a recruit’s mother, during their pitch (among other things). On first glance, it looks like Wojo and his staff, may actually be able to appeal to a recruits father.

It shouldn't take "years" you keep talking about Florida being a blue blood but they were nothing before the 94 final four then six years later lose in the championship game and boom they're suddenly a big time program.  We have history to work off of at least so it shouldn't take "years" before we land a prospect like them. We just need to get that one run to revamp our program
Maigh Eo for Sam

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 12:49:04 PM »
Assistants need to be hard-working/effective worker bees for a head coach.  Recruiting assistants can be way over-rated.  The guy at Illinois got Bruce Weber a ton of top 100 guys who were misfits on and off the court for Weber's program.  Isaac Chew really did nothing for MU as Buzz was really the guy for Ahmed Hill, etc.  Assistants tend to come come and go.  Remember Tom Crean going through assistants like a roll of tissue paper.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 01:01:18 PM »
Welcome aboard, Brett.

Don't worry about all the threads on this board that mention your name cheekily, they actually are... well, not referring to you.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

amen426

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 02:15:16 PM »

Nelson was credited for helping land Hassan Whiteside at Marshall. Whiteside, who left Marshall after his Freshman year, was the 33rd pick of the 2010 draft.

The next year, Nelson left to Arkansas for the 2010-2011 season. The 2011 recruiting class, ranked top 10 in the country, and featured B.J Young, and two other Top 100 Players. Hard to pinpoint his individual impact on that class, but at the very least, he was a member of the coaching staff during every players official visit, and commitment.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2014, 02:30:25 PM »
Welcome aboard, Brett.

Don't worry about all the threads on this board that mention your name cheekily, they actually are... well, not referring to you.

Let's keep Biff out of this.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2014, 02:41:09 PM »
Welcome aboard Brett! Don't worry about the skeptics. Bring in some talent and get us some wins and we will love you just fine.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brandx

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 05:35:26 PM »
Can't believe it was Stone Cold who started this thread.

He didn't like Wojo, didn't like Carawell, didn't like Phelps, doesn't like this hire.... blah, blah, blah.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 06:40:42 PM »
Can't believe it was Stone Cold who started this thread.

He didn't like Wojo, didn't like Carawell, didn't like Phelps, doesn't like this hire.... blah, blah, blah.

I think Wojo is the only good hire. The rest are tbd...but hoping they knock it out of the park.

I think the main issue so far, is we seem to be going really hard at traditionals. Marquette has always catered more towards the inner city kids. I think it behooves us to keep on going with the same recruits as we have. For awhile we were the "cool" school in Wisconsin to sign with. We are now going after Wisconsin type recruits and I think that's not playing to our strengths.

TheBurrEffect

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 06:45:41 PM »
Today I learned an All American Point Guard is mediocre. I guess everyone at Marquette since wade has also been "mediocre" 

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2014, 06:53:21 PM »
Today I learned an All American Point Guard is mediocre. I guess everyone at Marquette since wade has also been "mediocre" 
Except Derrick--he is an elite gamechanger. Buzz said so.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.