collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Ka-Boom!! Adam Silver hammers Sterling  (Read 26375 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Ka-Boom!! Adam Silver hammers Sterling
« Reply #150 on: April 30, 2014, 06:43:45 PM »
Interesting. I wonder if you were introducing a Native American friend to someone and that someone asked what nationality your friend was - would you reply "Oh, he's a redskin".

If you replied that way, I could see your support for the name, otherwise.... Since Snyder owns the team, why doesn't he change the team's name to a word with Jewish connotations comparable to Redskins?

By the way, I have no problem with Warriors, Indians, etc. Those are not derogatory terms.

I take it that in my example, if my family was killed by members of a specific ethnic group, I would be just in blaming said ethnic group with a broad brush.

In your interesting example, the answer is obvious....."my friend is American", that's his nationality. 

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #151 on: April 30, 2014, 07:11:31 PM »
I demand that all blacks sign papers saying that racism no longer exists before we allow them to be a part of the NBA - or American life, in general.

What could drive a man to refer to people who owned, tortured and abused blacks as "white devils"? I don't know where this thinking could have come from.
Hey Brandx--Bigotry comes in all colors. Jay Z, Jamie Fox, Barkley make disparaging remarks about whites frequently. They get a pass. Sharpton and Jackson, two crooked shake down artists have frequently done the same, but they get away with it. The list goes on and on. Sterling, a white bigot who employs many minorities, gets crucified, because he is a white owner. The EEOC aggressively pursues alleged white discrimination all the time--not so much discrimination by blacks. There is a huge double standard in this country, known by many, and the shame of it all is that the knee jerk reactions for stupid comments are almost always registered against whites. And much of the "moral outrage" is concocted.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #152 on: April 30, 2014, 07:19:19 PM »
So his large real estate company was busted in racial discrimination.  Elgin Baylor lost, repeat lost, his lawsuit for racial discrimination.  Why does this count?  All this combined with some second-hand hearsay comments?

Look I'm not defending the guy, I trying to understand what line was drawn to rise to the level of forcing him to sell (severely punished yes, but lifetime ban and forced sale?).  

How about these owners?  How many of them should get voted out at the same meeting with Sterling?

How about Herb Simon, the owner of the Pacers?  He owns Simon Group, a large mall developer.  In 2011 the EEOC charged that Latino janitors working for the company were subjected to daily verbal attacks because  of their national origin.  Simon is just as bad as Sterling.  Why are we not asking Larry Bird why he accepts a paycheck from Simon?

How about Glen Taylor, the owner of the Timberwolves?  He owns Taylor Corporation that employs 15,000 headquartered in Mankato MN.  His company was sued for Sex Discrimination for passing over women for a promotion.  They settled out of court.  How can he be allowed to own an NBA team?

How about Cavaliers Owners Dan Gilbert?  He owns Quicken Loans.  Quicken lost a lawsuit for fraud and high pressure sales in that the pressured poor people (some minorities) into take out inappropriate mortgages and they lost their homes during the financial crisis.  How can he keep his team?  Isn't this worse than Sterling's words?

How about Mickey Arison the Miami Heat Owner?  He owns Carnival Cruise lines and they had multiple incident of ships breaking leaving people without power, food, bagging their own sh!t and getting sick.  They are bogged down in multi lawsuits over this.  How can LeBron accept a paycheck form this guy?  How can NBA owners allow him to own a team?

How about Brooklyn Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov?  The guy is a Russian Oligarch, running Norilsk Nickel and a few years ago 60 Minutes did a profile of him (before he was Nets owner) about the sleazy things he and his companies did.  He is also a powder keg waiting to explode.

Mark Cuban was convicted of insider trading last year.  He's a criminal, why not vote him out?  Why is the NBA allowing criminals to run their teams (see Prokhorov too).

I could go on and on with virtually every owner in the NBA.  If you want, they can all be made to look as bad as Sterling.   You really want to open this Pandora’s box?

Hmmmm.....Pandora's box has already been opened. NBA has lots of splaining to do. Likely these tidbits will enhance the walk away money that sleazy Sterling is given. And I do not believe that Sterling broke any laws here--but his Bimbo sugar baby did.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #153 on: April 30, 2014, 07:22:20 PM »
I was thinking the exact same thing. I love having willie on ignore. Thankfully, willie's "Greatest Hits" often show up in another poster's responses to his remarkably ignorant posts. And this one was particularly remarkable.
Hey 82--read some of the other tin eared drivel from many others who see this for what it is. Your moral outrage is duly noted. Oh, I am sure your MU degree which is valued by you over all others will help you to figure all this out.

LegalEagle15

• Walk-On
« Reply #154 on: April 30, 2014, 08:11:48 PM »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #155 on: May 01, 2014, 06:02:48 AM »
I do not disagree with you, but it still takes just one guy to show how big his wiener is or compensate for how small it is to get crazy dollars.

Here are those already mentioned in the LA Times as having public interest

David Geffen
Magic Johnson + Guggenheim group
Floyd Mayweather
Oscar De La Hoya
Patrick Soon-Shiong

That's some crazy $$ with most of those guys.

Anyone remember the early days of the Cubs sale in 2007/2008?  It was supposed to be a bidding war between Mark Cuban, Oprah, Michael Jordan and others.

In the end their were only two credible bidders, John Canning and Tom Ricketts.

Right now it's all BS talk.  No bid book exists.  When the team is actually for sale, and bankers have to be hired, let's see who actually shows up.

-----

It's hard to run a team.  It's a full time job.  If a freak show lead by Floyd Meaweather buys the team, you think a credible basketball guy (think Phil Jackson) wants to work for an unstable guy like him?  Ditto Oprah.  She will spend 5 minutes a month on team matters as she attends to her dying TV network.

The buyer will be a credible businessman/group that will make it their job to run the team, not attention seeking billionaires.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #156 on: May 01, 2014, 08:19:30 AM »
Hey Brandx--Bigotry comes in all colors. Jay Z, Jamie Fox, Barkley make disparaging remarks about whites frequently. They get a pass. Sharpton and Jackson, two crooked shake down artists have frequently done the same, but they get away with it. The list goes on and on. Sterling, a white bigot who employs many minorities, gets crucified, because he is a white owner. The EEOC aggressively pursues alleged white discrimination all the time--not so much discrimination by blacks. There is a huge double standard in this country, known by many, and the shame of it all is that the knee jerk reactions for stupid comments are almost always registered against whites. And much of the "moral outrage" is concocted.

There really is nothing more annoying than white people complaining about being the subjects of racism.

Honestly, you can point to JayZ and his ilk all you want, but what Donald Sterling has done throughout his professional career dwarfs anything that JayZ said on any of his albums....or what Sterling said over the weekend.  When you can point to JayZ or Foxx systematically discriminating against a group of people, and not just with their words but with their actions, *then* you have made a point.

But look at Riley Cooper.  Went through hell, was contrite, got a contract extension, and all is well.

Look, if this was simply Sterling having an off-day I wouldn't be so quick to judge.  But what he has done throughout his career as a property owner is disgusting.  And people here are worried about precedent and his rights?

Really.  The heart goes out to the billionaire?  Screw him.

ttheisen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #157 on: May 01, 2014, 08:38:31 AM »

There really is nothing more annoying than white people complaining about being the subjects of racism.

Honestly, you can point to JayZ and his ilk all you want, but what Donald Sterling has done throughout his professional career dwarfs anything that JayZ said on any of his albums....or what Sterling said over the weekend.  When you can point to JayZ or Foxx systematically discriminating against a group of people, and not just with their words but with their actions, *then* you have made a point.

But look at Riley Cooper.  Went through hell, was contrite, got a contract extension, and all is well.

Look, if this was simply Sterling having an off-day I wouldn't be so quick to judge.  But what he has done throughout his career as a property owner is disgusting.  And people here are worried about precedent and his rights?

Agree 100% - the NBA finally found a foothold to do what they have wanted to do for 15 years - get rid of Sterling.  Those who are looking at this incident in isolation are missing that point.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #158 on: May 01, 2014, 08:46:31 AM »

To me, this is akin to finally throwing Al Capone in jail for tax evasion.

Before anybody says I'm accusing Sterling of killing people, as Capone did, I'm not. What I'm saying is that he's been a serial racist and the NBA finally found a way to get rid of him.

All the reverse discrimination, freedom of speech and privacy issues being bandied about are just noise.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #159 on: May 01, 2014, 09:21:32 AM »
I take it that in my example, if my family was killed by members of a specific ethnic group, I would be just in blaming said ethnic group with a broad brush.

In your interesting example, the answer is obvious....."my friend is American", that's his nationality. 

Yeah, he's an American...an American Redskin.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #160 on: May 01, 2014, 07:09:11 PM »

Spoken like a true student of what the USA is all about. Of course we all know that bigotry and racism is only committed by white people. And you conveniently left out two big time race baiters, Jackson and Sharpton who of course are not also.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #161 on: May 01, 2014, 07:19:07 PM »
This site could turn a thread entitled " Hitler was a bad dude" into a pissing match. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #162 on: May 01, 2014, 10:39:01 PM »
Spoken like a true student of what the USA is all about. Of course we all know that bigotry and racism is only committed by white people. And you conveniently left out two big time race baiters, Jackson and Sharpton who of course are not also.

You know I had a rant responding to this but I just decided its not worth it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #163 on: May 29, 2014, 06:35:20 PM »
The Doyers and the Clippers are apples and oranges. The Clippers are a second rate franchise. This is the most they have ever been talked about in their history. the Lakers are LA. The Clips will not get the numbers being thrown around on the board. At the end of the day, they are Still the Clippers, the "other" basketball team.

Like I said, all it takes is one guy to do it.

Steve Balmer, $2 billion for the Clippers today.

SoCalEagle

• All American
« Reply #164 on: May 29, 2014, 06:58:17 PM »
Like I said, all it takes is one guy to do it.

Steve Balmer, $2 billion for the Clippers today.

Chico's you are correct, sir. Some people have an awful lot of money and are looking for a way to spend it.

If the Clippers are worth $2B, what are the Lakers worth? Wow.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #165 on: May 29, 2014, 07:17:41 PM »
Chico's you are correct, sir. Some people have an awful lot of money and are looking for a way to spend it.

If the Clippers are worth $2B, what are the Lakers worth? Wow.

The Clippers aren't worth $2B, except that someone said they were.  Silly stuff.  Now they're going to try and monetize it with their new television deal that runs out and they will expect to get around $4 or $5 per subscriber from television distributors.  I think they would be wise to see what's going on with the Dodgers right now.  You can't just keep spending billions of dollars in funny money and expect everyone, including non sports fans, to pay for the fact they over spent.

Oh well....not surprising.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #166 on: May 29, 2014, 07:20:18 PM »
This site could turn a thread entitled " Hitler was a bad dude" into a pissing match. 

Well, he did build the Autobahn

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #167 on: May 29, 2014, 07:23:22 PM »
Since Snyder owns the team, why doesn't he change the team's name to a word with Jewish connotations comparable to Redskins?

The Foreskins?

Death on call

brandx

« Reply #168 on: May 29, 2014, 07:38:10 PM »
The Foreskins?

See! If I was more clever, I wouldn't have to wait for your response ;D

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #169 on: May 29, 2014, 07:49:43 PM »
Well, he did build the Autobahn

And the trains ran on time.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #170 on: May 29, 2014, 07:59:36 PM »
And the trains ran on time.

Actually, that one's on Il Duce

Death on call

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #171 on: May 29, 2014, 08:13:45 PM »
Actually, that one's on Il Duce

Well, yes, the saying refers to Mussolini, but it is actually crapola.  He really didn't get the crappy Italian rail system to run on time.  The krauts, on the other hand, have punctual rail times before, during, and after the mustachioed one.  It's simply in their DNA. 
Ludum habemus.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #172 on: May 30, 2014, 12:38:41 AM »
Well, yes, the saying refers to Mussolini, but it is actually crapola.  He really didn't get the crappy Italian rail system to run on time.  The krauts, on the other hand, have punctual rail times before, during, and after the mustachioed one.  It's simply in their DNA. 

Notice how carefully I worded that, Sir. I am used to the Japanese train system which is punctual to the second. My son lives in Italy and my experiences with Italian trains is far from bad but it is certainly a more leisurely excursion than in other, more anal societies. 

Death on call

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #173 on: May 30, 2014, 07:05:43 AM »
Notice how carefully I worded that, Sir. I am used to the Japanese train system which is punctual to the second. My son lives in Italy and my experiences with Italian trains is far from bad but it is certainly a more leisurely excursion than in other, more anal societies. 

I can share my Italian train experience.  For my honeymoon my wife and I went to Italy after having a second wedding reception in Poland for her relatives who could not make it to the States.  We went to Naples so I can visit the ancestral homestead and so we could visit Pompeii & Capri.  The guidebook said the train should take 1 hour and it took 3+ hours because we found out later there's a speed train and a local train and we caught a local train.  On the way back to Rome we would not make the same mistake.  But we didn't have a choice as there was a huge train wreck in Rome the night before, so we were forced to take another local, followed by bus ride from a station a few stops prior to Rome which we decided to skip and just take a taxi straight to the airport instead.  That lead to huge traffic jam that our driver somehow found away around.  Planes, Trains & Automobiles.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #174 on: May 30, 2014, 07:49:33 AM »
So you won't be going back to Italy for your next honeymoon?   ;)

I can share my Italian train experience.  For my honeymoon my wife and I went to Italy after having a second wedding reception in Poland for her relatives who could not make it to the States.  We went to Naples so I can visit the ancestral homestead and so we could visit Pompeii & Capri.  The guidebook said the train should take 1 hour and it took 3+ hours because we found out later there's a speed train and a local train and we caught a local train.  On the way back to Rome we would not make the same mistake.  But we didn't have a choice as there was a huge train wreck in Rome the night before, so we were forced to take another local, followed by bus ride from a station a few stops prior to Rome which we decided to skip and just take a taxi straight to the airport instead.  That lead to huge traffic jam that our driver somehow found away around.  Planes, Trains & Automobiles.

feedback