collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Ka-Boom!! Adam Silver hammers Sterling  (Read 26393 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Ka-Boom!! Adam Silver hammers Sterling
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2014, 07:25:42 PM »
Here is an article with good links to Sterling's past nonsense:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/04/28/why-the-world-finally-noticed-donald-sterlings-appalling-history/

I'm still waiting for some media folks to go after David Stern a bit on this, but it may not happen.  He's pretty chummy with most in the media at the highest levels, so it will be kid gloves.  Silver was spinning a bit of the past today in his comments.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2014, 07:27:10 PM »
I'm still waiting for some media folks to go after David Stern a bit on this, but it may not happen.  He's pretty chummy with most in the media at the highest levels, so it will be kid gloves.  Silver was spinning a bit of the past today in his comments.

I've heard some take shots at the commish, including Wilbon and Kornheiser.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2014, 07:33:49 PM »
listening to the press conference there were more than a few questions asking about Stern and his attitude on the topic.  I would expect someone to address Stern's lack of interest on this to be revealed.    So many sworn statements provided by fact witnesses against Sterling (his building manager for example) and the NBA never looked into it until after a verdict?  Sterling bought his way out of the federal housing claim and paid a record fine.  Plenty of evidence against him.  Same goes for Elgin Baylor's lawsuit.  I just don't understand why, with Sterling, the NBA and Stern somehow needed to hold themselves up to the standard of proof required in a civil claim or arbitration to reprimand or fine Sterling for his behavior.  I've never seen them do for any other fine against ownership or players.  Very convenient to hide behind it today and the last 20 years.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2014, 07:53:48 PM »
I've heard some take shots at the commish, including Wilbon and Kornheiser.

Heard shots all day.  Stearn looking very bad.  Too late to matter, though.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2014, 08:01:33 PM »
The owners would be crazy to support this, but they will, because they do not want the headache of the protests/boycotts against them if they do not. Think of the turmoil and precedents this will set. The guy has conducted his NBA business in a reasonable and ethical manner. This whole thing is a cave to PC. It was a private conversation in which he said stupid things. Sterling is a senile douche who will walk away with bundles of cash, as his wife will--more than him. This is all about cash.

Barkley and Jamie Fox will need to shut their mouths (which they won't) because of the offensive comments they make and the law suits that follow.

Mods,  how much can I donate to make this post a stickie post on the top of the board.   Wow.  Just wow.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2014, 08:01:58 PM »
Heard shots all day.  Stearn looking very bad.  Too late to matter, though.

Maybe because I live out here we are getting Sterling 24/7 because it's really been all about him, will Magic buy the team, and Doc is classy.  Barely a whisper about Stern, though certainly plenty on Silver.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2014, 08:06:40 PM »

+1  was thinking the same thing,  and CBB,  you and I have bickered about the media in past posts,  but I imagine we are in agreence, all the sanctimonious talk from commentators about all these years Sterling being so horrible.   Hey media,  where the F were you?

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2014, 08:17:33 PM »
Mods,  how much can I donate to make this post a stickie post on the top of the board.   Wow.  Just wow.

First time I've ever thanked anyone for quoting WW.  Confirming the wisdom of ignore.  What tin-eared drivel.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2014, 08:19:50 PM »
How can the NBA ban an owner from attending games?    I mean, if he said, FU, I'm sitting here, who is going to enforce that rule?   

The police can't do it, he's not breaking any criminal laws.  Building security?  I'd imagine they work for Sterling.

Special NBA SWAT team?

Then they would just fine him millions of dollars the next day.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2014, 08:25:54 PM »
All it takes is one person to say they are worth a billion.  I don't disagree with you, but $2.4billion for the Doyers was preposterous, until someone paid $2.4billion.  Then Time Warner bailed them out.

The Doyers and the Clippers are apples and oranges. The Clippers are a second rate franchise. This is the most they have ever been talked about in their history. the Lakers are LA. The Clips will not get the numbers being thrown around on the board. At the end of the day, they are Still the Clippers, the "other" basketball team.

brandx

« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2014, 08:33:04 PM »
I enjoy Will Leitch as much as anyone, but he'll have to convince these types of people. 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffbercovici/2013/08/08/21st-century-foxs-chase-carey-a-la-carte-is-a-fantasy/

http://www.thewrap.com/fox-coo-chase-carey-la-carte-cable-farce/

The other thing that Mr. Leitch is not factoring in the rights.  Most of the major sports rights are tied up into the 2020's...some as far as 2027.  You'll see some new announcements if I were a betting man in the next few months on some other sports extensions. 

His timing for his view of the bubble I suspect is really short, the industry thinks it is 10 years out.  "That will play out over the next 10-plus years, not the next three," Carey said.  He’s also unfazed by rising sports costs. “It’s the most important content on television, period….It is the content that binds a community.”

If they can't get the dollars from other sources, it isn't happening any time soon.  Mr. Leitch is free to offer a solution, many have tried.

I get the feeling that since these execs say they will never allow something to happen - that you think it will never happen.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2014, 09:04:25 PM »
Just because Sterling wasn't punished doesn't mean he was a serial racist. One of our fellow commenters just provided a few links referring to his past transgressions.

The NFL just adopted a policy saying they aren't going to tolerate this stuff from players, coaches, owners, anybody. The NBA will, too. Obviously, nobody can legislate how somebody thinks, but if a person is going to go public with his crapola, he knows he'll get nailed. And, in a case like Sterling, even if he doesn't know he's going public, he'd better think twice.

The only bad part about that for me is that I like to know who the racists are. Fortunately, many are so stupid and believe they are above everybody else, so they'll still come out of the woodwork to spew their hate.

So now we are going to regulate private speech meant for one person.  Do you have outrage for his mistress?  Should you go to prison for invading his privacy (CA is a double consent state)?  Or is she a hero for bringing this to light?

As Cuban said, if this is the standard, no owner will survive.  It is just a matter of time before they get caught.

And where do we draw the line?  Homophobia statements?  Sexists? Religious? How about political affiliation?  Do we ban owners that are against tax increases?  How about class statements (poor v rich)?

Point is what controversial statement is one allowed to say and still keep their team?  

To paraphrase Bill Mahar, you're still allowed to be an a**ho*e in this country.  That is not a crime.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 09:07:18 PM by Heisenberg »

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2014, 09:12:27 PM »
Heisenberg- The difference here is that the private statement (made public) brought to a general audience in crystal clear terms a history of racist conduct/attitudes.  It is the combination of the two that buried this scumbag.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2014, 09:31:46 PM »
Heisenberg- The difference here is that the private statement (made public) brought to a general audience in crystal clear terms a history of racist conduct/attitudes.  It is the combination of the two that buried this scumbag.

Just to be clear, if he launched about gays and women he would still own the team because he has no prior history of prejudice against these groups?

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2014, 09:35:35 PM »
I'm guessing Silver will initiate the termination procedure. Once he does, the process moves pretty quickly:

"Any owner or Silver can initiate the termination procedure with a written charge describing the violation. Sterling would have five days to respond to the charge with a written answer. The commissioner would then schedule a special meeting of the NBA Board of Governors within 10 days. Both sides would have a chance to present their evidence, and then the board would vote. If three-fourths of the board members vote to terminate, then Sterling would face termination of his ownership."

Sterling will try and save face and agree to sell the team "in the best interests of everyone." He may be a racist and misogynist, but he is probably smart enough to know he's losing the team so he might as well try and retain control of the process.

He'll walk with his billion and be a punch line for the rest of his days.
We Are Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2014, 09:37:19 PM »
The Clippers are a second rate franchise.

Not when The Eraser and Ernie D were lacing up the high tops they weren't...

Death on call

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2014, 09:51:51 PM »
Just to be clear, if he launched about gays and women he would still own the team because he has no prior history of prejudice against these groups?

Quite possibly.  I did forget an important third factor--he is the owner of an NBA team--mostly AA employees in an industry comprised mostly of AAs and his comments and history are disparaging to that particular group, including specifically individuals in that group (for example, Magic Johnson) simply because they are AA.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2014, 10:00:57 PM »
And, by the way, you and Bill Maher are right.  Being a jag is not a crime.  He won't go to jail for what he did.  But he still can, has and will suffer consequences.

It's a bit like free speech.  It bugs the p!ss out of me when someone says something stupid, and gets criticized for it, and the first person is defended by idiots [not you in this example, Heisenberg] who say "you can't criticize him, he has a first amendment right to say that."  Well, of course he does.  And he has a First Amendment right to be criticized, humiliated and boycotted.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2014, 10:06:49 PM »

Quite possibly.  I did forget an important third factor--he is the owner of an NBA team--mostly AA employees in an industry comprised mostly of AAs and his comments and history are disparaging to that particular group, including specifically individuals in that group (for example, Magic Johnson) simply because they are AA.

+1.  Consider the accusations from Sam Cassell and Elton Brand that he brought women in the locker room to show off his nude athletes like thoroughbreds.  Pretty degrading.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2014, 10:35:54 PM »
UCLA is returning a $3 million dollar gift from Sterling.

That more than covers the $2.5 million fine.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2014, 11:14:25 PM »
And, by the way, you and Bill Maher are right.  Being a jag is not a crime.  He won't go to jail for what he did.  But he still can, has and will suffer consequences.

It's a bit like free speech.  It bugs the p!ss out of me when someone says something stupid, and gets criticized for it, and the first person is defended by idiots [not you in this example, Heisenberg] who say "you can't criticize him, he has a first amendment right to say that."  Well, of course he does.  And he has a First Amendment right to be criticized, humiliated and boycotted.

When does Bill Maher go to jail?  He's offensive  ;)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2014, 11:18:19 PM »

Donation was for kidney research, which is unfortunate.  He's radioactive right now, even dollars not for political purposes is coming back 

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2014, 11:19:13 PM »

Just to be clear, the First Amendment protects speech from obstruction by the government. The First Amendment doesn't apply to private people or organizations. So, the NBA has absolutely no obligation to respect the speech of its employees or even owners under the First Amendment. The NBA can abridge peoples' right to speak all it wants. And it does so in many circumstances (criticizing refs, e.g.). Frankly, it's unremarkable that it is doing so here. Anyone defending Sterling on First Amendment grounds is thus misguided--it just has no application to the NBA whatsoever.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2014, 02:21:11 AM »

Showed him. Alford is probably thinking about that check every time he is waiting beside the A pole to board the SWA flight to UCLA's next game.

For Sterling, he can now go and buy Bert's Warehouse in Mequon with that check and have some cash left over to resurface the indoor basketball court

Death on call

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2014, 06:34:37 AM »
Just to be clear, the First Amendment protects speech from obstruction by the government. The First Amendment doesn't apply to private people or organizations. So, the NBA has absolutely no obligation to respect the speech of its employees or even owners under the First Amendment. The NBA can abridge peoples' right to speak all it wants. And it does so in many circumstances (criticizing refs, e.g.). Frankly, it's unremarkable that it is doing so here. Anyone defending Sterling on First Amendment grounds is thus misguided--it just has no application to the NBA whatsoever.

that was my point