'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ACC, B1G, Big 12, PAC, SEC Want Autonomy From NCAA  (Read 41453 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: ACC, B1G, Big 12, PAC, SEC Want Autonomy From NCAA
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2014, 09:47:18 AM »
At this time its for the big 5 conferences only
http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/2014/04/24/sec-acc-big-big-ten-pac-get/8135289/

"The board is still trying to determine how, or if, smaller leagues will be allowed to implement measures passed under the “autonomy” provisions."

It will happen.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2014, 09:49:12 AM »
Yep, it will happen or the smaller conferences will operate outside the NCAA and that would blow up the tourni $

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2014, 09:55:25 AM »
Yep, it will happen or the smaller conferences will operate outside the NCAA and that would blow up the tourni $

The smaller conferences are going along with this so the larger conferences don't leave.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2014, 10:17:23 AM »
I would think the smaller conferences know they have less to lose than the big conferences when it comes to the prospect of the big schools leaving, because the big conferences already know it.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2014, 10:21:13 AM »
I would think the smaller conferences know they have less to lose than the big conferences when it comes to the prospect of the big schools leaving, because the big conferences already know it.

If the absolute worst happens, and the Power 5 schools leave the NCAA, who do you think then makes more money on their post season basketball tournament?  Especially on a "per school" basis?

Not the 27 smaller conferences.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2014, 10:27:08 AM »

If the absolute worst happens, and the Power 5 schools leave the NCAA, who do you think then makes more money on their post season basketball tournament?  Especially on a "per school" basis?

And this is exactly why this is happening.  The big conferences have the leverage so they are playing it to try and get more leverage and more money.  The small schools either have to accept this and potentially become less competitive or risk having the whole system blow and become really less competitive.

The big schools should be careful though, their power is not without limits.  Look at the public's disdain for tax funding for stadiums, they are not blind sheep.  If things are too dramatically changed there is risk of the public turning on the product reducing it's value.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2014, 12:23:59 PM »

If the absolute worst happens, and the Power 5 schools leave the NCAA, who do you think then makes more money on their post season basketball tournament?  Especially on a "per school" basis?

I didn't say the smaller conferences would be better off; I merely said the big conferences have more to lose.  To clarify, I'm not speaking about just the basketball tournament, but sure, take that example.  134 tournament shares in a (roughly) $200M pool this year... how many shares went to the Power conferences?  100?  So they get 75% of a $200M tourney pool this year - or $150M.  Say they now break away and eliminate 80% of the potential tournament participants... does everyone make the tournament, or do you reduce the field to 16 teams so as to not offer a diluted product.

You tell me.... do you think the Power 5 is going to get a $150M annual contract for a post-season basketball tournament that features about a fifth of the games, no Cinderellas, and sexy match-ups like Rutgers vs. Virginia Tech?

EDIT:  And don't forget about the damn mouse who controls everything.  Who televises all of those mid and low major conference tournaments/championships - just how watchable will they be once the Power 5 goes away?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 12:26:41 PM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2014, 04:27:35 PM »
I didn't say the smaller conferences would be better off; I merely said the big conferences have more to lose.  To clarify, I'm not speaking about just the basketball tournament, but sure, take that example.  134 tournament shares in a (roughly) $200M pool this year... how many shares went to the Power conferences?  100?  So they get 75% of a $200M tourney pool this year - or $150M.  Say they now break away and eliminate 80% of the potential tournament participants... does everyone make the tournament, or do you reduce the field to 16 teams so as to not offer a diluted product.

You tell me.... do you think the Power 5 is going to get a $150M annual contract for a post-season basketball tournament that features about a fifth of the games, no Cinderellas, and sexy match-ups like Rutgers vs. Virginia Tech?

EDIT:  And don't forget about the damn mouse who controls everything.  Who televises all of those mid and low major conference tournaments/championships - just how watchable will they be once the Power 5 goes away?

Don't forget though we're in a content starved era....the littles have way more of a shot to get on tv now more than ever
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

feedback