[Today at 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:31:50 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[Today at 10:56:27 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by Herman Cain
[June 07, 2024, 09:51:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: "I'm taking the basketball players over the athletes"  (Read 52199 times)

RyanConroy

Re: "I'm taking the basketball players over the athletes"
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2014, 08:11:01 PM »
Twinkie.

I think somewhere in this thread I read (awful head cold to kick off April, Wisconsin weather is the absolute best...although today it actually wasn't bad) that only white people can be racist.  Have always laughed at the "meetblackpeople.com" (or whatever it is) dating site commercial on TV.  Can you imagine the outcry if someone made a dating site named "meetwhitepeople.com?"  Hilarious.

Discrimination against minorities = systematic oppression for centuries.

Discrimination against those in power= hurt feelings and message board anger

Opportunities in your life are increased exponentially because you were born with light skin. I don't agree that non-whites can't be racist for etymological reasons. But that's the difference.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 08:12:52 PM by MUStudent »

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2014, 08:15:25 PM »
i'm more upset about christianmingle.com  - i've lost sleep many nights over that one. 

RyanConroy

« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2014, 08:17:05 PM »
i'm more upset about christianmingle.com  - i've lost sleep many nights over that one. 

Just wait for the Christian version of AshleyMadison.com

tower912

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2014, 08:31:20 PM »
The farmer dating website scares me. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2014, 08:44:41 PM »

Opportunities in your life are increased exponentially because you were born with light skin. I don't agree that non-whites can't be racist for etymological reasons. But that's the difference.

Relax. I didn't mean to say I am offended by "meetblackpeople.com" or whatever it is. I just laugh every time I think of what would happen if someone made a "meetwhitepeople.com."
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2014, 08:48:16 PM »
JDate is offensive. I've done stuff with Jewish girlies. Why it gotta be for Jewish singles?

Gesundheit.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2014, 08:59:57 PM »
JDate is offensive. I've done stuff with Jewish girlies. Why it gotta be for Jewish singles?

Gesundheit.

Mazel Tov!

Death on call

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2014, 10:58:31 PM »
There is no way to come up with a definition of traditional that includes Wisconsin and UConn and disincludes Florida and Kentucky that has any true meaning as to how the teams operate as basketball teams.  The same goes as to how they recruit or evaluate talent.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2014, 11:05:57 PM »

Mazel Tov!

These girls have to help recruit Cohen, he must have some jewish blood in him with that last name.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2014, 11:07:45 PM »
The farmer dating website scares me. 

"You don't have to be lonely ...."

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2014, 11:09:51 PM »

You speak of the Hutus and the Tutsis.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2014, 12:36:57 AM »
you might want to watch kenny smith again.  tell me what "traditionals" he was speaking of on the UCONN team? 

Again, your definition of traditionals apparently is based on race.  Mine isn't.  I don't know how you got there, but you did.

Traditionals has to do with the fundamentals of basketball, not the color of your skin. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2014, 12:41:47 AM »
There is no way to come up with a definition of traditional that includes Wisconsin and UConn and disincludes Florida and Kentucky that has any true meaning as to how the teams operate as basketball teams.  The same goes as to how they recruit or evaluate talent.

Sure there is.  Some coaches recruit elite athleticism in the hopes to teach them the game.  Other recruit high basketball IQ guys that can shoot, play fundamental defense, etc, but don't have the athleticism as others.

That doesn't mean the latter has no athleticism nor does it mean the former has zero basketball IQ, there are degrees to everything.

Many coaches will take projects simply based on their "raw athletic ability" or their size, even if they have only been playing the game for 3 or 4 years.  Just as some coaches love having a coach's son on the squad because the kid is going to understand the game (in general) at a higher rate than those that don't.  

Kenny Smith was not saying Florida didn't have basketball IQ, nor was he saying UCONN had no athletes.  However, he was making the comparison that one team had more "basketball players" than the other team which had more athletes.  Thus, his comment "I'm taking the basketball players over the athletes".

Not surprisng some folks here turned this into a racial deal...not surprising at all...seems to be page one of the playbook the last 20 years for some folks.  When in doubt, shout it out.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2014, 08:42:28 AM »

Ding ding ding

This guy gets it
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2014, 09:33:55 AM »

These girls have to help recruit Cohen, he must have some jewish blood in him with that last name.

I sincerely hope so. A couple members of my Tribe could only help.

Or, as my dad used to say, "Couldn't hoit!"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2014, 09:58:00 AM »

So something like the systematic oppression of the Irish by the English and even Americans for centuries wouldn't count because they're light skinned? I agree with the principle but you're over simplifying it with race. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

RyanConroy

« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2014, 10:06:18 AM »
So something like the systematic oppression of the Irish by the English and even Americans for centuries wouldn't count because they're light skinned? I agree with the principle but you're over simplifying it with race. 

Sorry, was referring to being born today with white skin in the U.S.

I do not think white people (or anybody) are inherently prone to discriminate against those with darker skin.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2014, 10:10:37 AM »
I think you could even simplify it more.....

There are those who want change for the better....
There are those who don't want change, because it doesn't benefit them knowingly

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2014, 10:14:01 AM »

The Irish is example is true, but there is a difference between being a visible and invisible minority. I can look at a black man and say "he's black." I can't look at an Irishmen and say with certainty "he's Irish." The irishman won't be discriminated against until it is confirmed he is Irish. The black man could be discriminated against on sight.
TAMU

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2014, 10:36:16 AM »
Sure there is.  Some coaches recruit elite athleticism in the hopes to teach them the game.  Other recruit high basketball IQ guys that can shoot, play fundamental defense, etc, but don't have the athleticism as others.

Who are these coaches who wouldn't recruit a Joel Embid? That's ridiculous.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2014, 11:36:11 AM »
Ding ding ding

This guy gets it

And it will live on in perpetuity as a result because there is always an excuse, always someone to blame.....when does it end, 50 years from now, 100 years from now, 500 years from now?  As long as their is a cottage industry to blame others, it will never end. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2014, 11:58:42 AM »
Again, your definition of traditionals apparently is based on race.  Mine isn't.  I don't know how you got there, but you did.

Traditionals has to do with the fundamentals of basketball, not the color of your skin.  
not true in the slightest manner, and just a ridiculous comment based upon my discussions on this board/thread.   

my point is that i've been following your talk on here regarding traditionals for years, and that's not what kenny was talking about as you tried to align your words with his.  unless you want to say that napier and boatwright match your opinion of a traditional.  all kenny was saying is that he'd take quick guards that can score (play basketball) vs. the guards of FL who had better size but less basketball skill.  a shocking comment as everyone and their mom knows UCONN's backcourt can play with anyone. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 12:00:58 PM by avid1010 »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2014, 12:10:02 PM »
And it will live on in perpetuity as a result because there is always an excuse, always someone to blame.....when does it end, 50 years from now, 100 years from now, 500 years from now?  As long as their is a cottage industry to blame others, it will never end. 

When all people actually treat each other equally.

So yes, it will never end
TAMU

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2014, 12:12:43 PM »

Perhaps it will end when we are all plugged into virtual reality machines and can create our own, individual worlds.  That's just the futurologist/technologist in me speaking. 

RyanConroy

« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2014, 12:29:10 PM »

Yup. There isn't serious debate as to if discrimination actually exists in the U.S, as it's easily measured by an array of statistics dealing with employment, education, resources, etc. And unless people of color are inherently less likely to succeed than white people (obviously not true) then, yes, blame should and will continue to be assigned.

I think the reason this debate angers so many is because people see allegations of racism/discrimination as an attack on their own professional and personal accomplishments, i.e. "I worked hard and deserve to be where I am today." All of our accomplishments deserve to be celebrated, because life is never easy, but it's important to understand that millions of people were/are rarely, if ever, given opportunities to have similar success.