[June 18, 2024, 09:06:03 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by Herman Cain
[June 18, 2024, 06:55:14 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 18, 2024, 05:53:38 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Uncle Rico
[June 18, 2024, 02:52:17 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: No Duke/MU  (Read 2902 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
No Duke/MU
« on: April 03, 2014, 11:53:54 AM »
Logan Allred ‏@LBAllred_44  2h  And @steve_wojo says Marquette and Duke will not be scheduled against each other. Goes for all Coach K's assistants. @dpshow

K will not play assistants at new jobs.  Too risky for him to have to explain a loss.

Think MU playing UWGB.

Best change to play them is meeting in Maui or the Big Dance

MUMountin

• All American
Re: No Duke/MU
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 12:05:42 PM »
I'd rather see them play one of the other former assistants than Duke themselves.  A home-and-home with Northwestern or Stanford would be good. 

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 12:08:33 PM »
Who on Earth would Coach K have to explain a loss to?

I get why he doesn't play a home and home with us.  There really isn't anything in it for them (the same way there really isn't anything in it for us to play home and home with Northwestern).
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 12:09:24 PM »
Would be even better if it put MU/ND back on the annual schedule.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 12:17:42 PM »
Would be even better if it put MU/ND back on the annual schedule.

True, I always forget that Brey is from the Coach K tree as well.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 12:18:26 PM »
Not sure why people want this to be anything about Duke. I have no interest in playing Stanford or Northwestern at all, much less because they are coached by former Duke Assistants. Establishing these rivalries because of the Duke connection suggests we are the Columbus Clippers to Duke's Yankees. Our coach honed his craft at Duke but we hired him for his potential more than where he came from.

Death on call

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 12:29:55 PM »
Not sure why people want this to be anything about Duke. I have no interest in playing Stanford or Northwestern at all, much less because they are coached by former Duke Assistants. Establishing these rivalries because of the Duke connection suggests we are the Columbus Clippers to Duke's Yankees. Our coach honed his craft at Duke but we hired him for his potential more than where he came from.

For me, it is much less about Wojo being from Duke and more about utilizing the connections and relationships that Wojo brings to the table.  While scheduling has seemed to have become easier in the last few years, its not too long ago when it seemed difficult for Marquette to find good major conference home-and-home opponents.  The connections between the former assistants is one way to get on the radar to schedule some decent series.

And, perhaps even more importantly, I like the idea of being thought of in the same group of Stanford, Northwestern, Notre Dame, and, yes, even Duke in terms of peer institutions (why not through Harvard in for good measure).  Premier private schools with great academic and athletic traditions.  Its not about Duke--its about being associated with a particular group of institutions.  Coach Wojo and the Coach K tree provides a good connection to that group of institutions--why not milk that for whatever it is worth?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 12:39:14 PM by MUMountin »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 12:32:42 PM »
For me, it is much less about Wojo being from Duke and more about utilizing the connections and relationships that Wojo brings to the table.  While scheduling has seemed to have become easier in the last few years, its not too long ago when it seemed difficult for Marquette to find good major conference home-and-home opponents.  The connections between the former assistants is one way to get on the radar to schedule some decent series.

And, perhaps even more importantly, I like the idea of being though of in the same group of Stanford, Northwestern, Notre Dame, and, yes, even Duke in terms of peer institutions (why not through Harvard in for good measure).  Premier private schools with great academic and athletic traditions.  Its not about Duke--its about being associated with a particular group of institutions.  Coach Wojo and the Coach K tree provides a good connection to that group of institutions--why not milk that for whatever it is worth?

That I can appreciate. And there is value in association. MU needs to undertake some serious work on the academic side, though, for those associations to actually stick.

Death on call

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 12:35:50 PM »
That I can appreciate. And there is value in association. MU needs to undertake some serious work on the academic side, though, for those associations to actually stick.

... and that is why Pillarz is no more and the BOT vision is very serious.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 12:38:02 PM »

They are probably unaware that there is a world class haiku writer among their alumni. ;)

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 12:39:38 PM »
Much rather see MU play Va. Tech......soon!

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 12:42:24 PM »

YESSIR -

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 12:47:38 PM »

Certainly--at this point, I'd call the association aspirational from MU's perspective.  But, there have been a lot of good things over the last decade to get us moving in that direction.

Still, I have to say that I was struck by the similarities of the programs where the Coach K tree currently is bearing fruit.  I don't know how much this actually played in Wojo's decision, or how he (and perhaps others in his circles) perceive MU as a whole, but that's a pretty prestigious group (both academically and athletically) with which to be mentioned in the same breath. 

source?

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 01:12:05 PM »

We are working on it. I believe MU jumped something like 20 spots in this year's US News rankings.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 01:15:55 PM »

Can't really see anyone at Marquette wanting to have to deal with Brent again on any level.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 01:18:45 PM »
Well lets think. Next year we have the Orlando tourney, ASU at home and OSU away. I think UWGB would be good to bring back to offset some of our terrible RPI teams and maybe a SEC or a Big 12 team. Would love to see a home and home with Baylor or Iowa State.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2014, 01:20:19 PM »

Why? If for no other reason than that would somehow validate Brad's departure. No, the less we have to do with Bert the better. And as Chico has alluded to there is much more to the Brant Williams story that will begin to emerge.

Death on call

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 01:25:13 PM »
Can't really see anyone at Marquette wanting to have to deal with Brent again on any level.

To see the players he recruited AND disrespected play his new team and win......that mental reward would be orgasmic!