Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 24 hours later  (Read 1628 times)

Wade for President

• All American
24 hours later
« on: April 02, 2014, 08:19:19 AM »
It's amazing (disturbing?) to think of all the highs and lows our coaching search has provided us over the past week and a half.  Between Howland's interest, "Done Deal", #ShakaWatch on Twitter, and the half dozen candidate names floating around here, I can honestly say that I'm feeling pretty damn good this morning about the future of MU hoops.

24 hours removed from the announcement of Steve Wojciechowski (thank you Google - don't know if I'll ever be able to spell that name correctly), and I can confidently say I'm 100% behind the hire.

Yes...I was in the skeptical camp with many of you.  However, the more you dive into his background, appreciate his loyalty to Duke, understand how much respect he's garnered from NBA superstars with his efforts with USA Basketball, the more you realize why this hire was more clear to administration than it was to the casual MU fan. 

It's not difficult to recognize how Steve's tenacity, work ethic, high character and attitude, can be a tremendous asset for Marquette basketball.

Perception was that you either loved him as a player, or hated him as a player...but bottomline, you respected him as a player.  Steve brings a wealth of experiences to MU, that honestly only a handful of coaches can boast.  I'm 100% aboard the Wojo train.

Welcome to Marquette coach.  You have legends of passionate fans ready to win everyday.  Let's get to work.

Avenue Commons

• All American
Re: 24 hours later
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 08:24:34 AM »
I posted it before, but I'm just so pleased at what I saw out of Coach Wojo at the press conference. Intelligent, composed, focused, sincere. I agree that, if nothing else, he is the caliber of person who should be leading Marquette's team. I also think he has the experience and ability that, when combined with Marquette's resources, can deliver a winner. Before the presser the hire felt like just another Duke hire. I don't think it is. Wojo strikes me as a winner.
We Are Marquette

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 08:32:49 AM »
Yep.  From the outside, Wojo would not have been my first choice...but the more I learn about him, the more excited I am about our future.

100% happy about this hire.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 08:39:14 AM »
I'm definitely much more happy/sedate today than yesterday. I did not know his long history w/Team USA and that carries a ton of weight, I think.

NBA Superstars all know of and respect him, and MU plays in an NBA arena/city. Mix both, and the potential for Jabari Parker being a Buck - and he's a former teammate of Steve Taylor Jr. and had Wojo as coach - that can't be a bad thing.

Thing that's getting to me - Wojo sounds like some fictional movie/tv character and I can't put my finger on it. It's killing me.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 08:40:45 AM »
Another unforeseen benefit:  Think how many NBA players that pass through Milwaukee have ties to Wojo?  

How many Duke players have gone to the league during his 15 year tenure @ Duke?  What about all-star players who had positive experiences with coach during USA Basketball?

In addition, we now have ESPN's three biggest mouthpieces (Jay Bilas, Dick Vitale, and Jay Williams) fully endorsing the hire and our program.  That might mean peanuts to some, but when we're fighting for visiblity (especially from a FoxSports angle), that PR is priceless.

Would we have had all the praise and comments in the media had we hired Cuonzo?  Gregg Marshall?  The answer is unequivocally no.

Couple those points with his pedigree and character, and this is a PERFECT fit for Marquette.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 08:43:00 AM »
I was in the skeptical camp as well.  I didn't think MU should have to settle on an unproven assistant AGAIN.  I also was concerned about the lack of recruiting familiarity with this area.  
Really like what I've heard so far particularly what I've seen on the Duke board.  Since he was a Duke for so long Wojo had begun to function in a lot of ways like the Head Coach.  I'm excited to see if he can keep MU's momentum going.

feedback