'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Duke athletic department email  (Read 6846 times)

classof2k

• Scholarship Player
Duke athletic department email
« on: April 01, 2014, 12:55:50 PM »
Got this from someone well-connected to Duke's athletic department (not precisely sure on the distribution list).

I like the respect shown to Marquette here, but (as highlighted elsewhere) it's clear he's considered one of their guys.  While this is an assistant, Duke appears to handle change more positively than we might.

----------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Coach Wojo to Marquette
Good afternoon …

Big news in the world of college basketball is unfolding in front of us this afternoon as Marquette University is hiring our own Steve Wojciechowski as the next head basketball coach at the Big East Conference institution.  Wanted to make sure you got the news in time to catch his press conference at 3 pm et on www.gomarquette.com.

Much more on this later and tomorrow … but needless to say that Coach K and all of us here at Duke are thrilled for Coach Wojo and very proud of his first head coaching position being at such a great school. 

Have a great afternoon… Go Duke and Go Marquette!

Mike

Mike Cragg
Deputy Director of Athletics / Operations

tower912

• All American
Re: Duke athletic department email
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 12:59:15 PM »
Mannnnnn......don't make me start appreciating Duke.   That was downright classy.      Seriously, unlike some, I have always admired Duke under Coach K.   Occasionally, I hated them, too, but deep down I like how they do things.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 01:00:23 PM »
Very well handled by Duke.  Kudos.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 01:03:02 PM »
Mannnnnn......don't make me start appreciating Duke.   That was downright classy.      Seriously, unlike some, I have always admired Duke under Coach K.   Occasionally, I hated them, too, but deep down I like how they do things.   

I've always had a burning hatred for them.  I'm having a real hard time accepting compliments like this.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 01:03:22 PM »
My dislike of Duke stems with many of their players and how arrogant they are. I have respect for Coach K and this email is very complimentary towards us.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 01:07:15 PM »
I actually loved that line from Grant Hill about how every time he starts getting beat down by all of the Duke hate he just kisses his two rings and feels better.    CoWoJo has a lot of the same success to draw from. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 01:09:27 PM »
 I've always loved Duke. I'm envious of what another small, private school has turned their athletics and academics into.

Hard to hate a school doing it the right way.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 01:18:53 PM »
I've always loved Duke. I'm envious of what another small, private school has turned their athletics and academics into.

Hard to hate a school doing it the right way.

With all that Duke money we could be in the same place. Of course we would have to change our name to Dukette (sorry could not help myself).

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 01:25:33 PM »
Duke money was originally from tobacco.

I'm a huge Coach K fan. If nothing else Wojo comes from a place where excellence is the standard.
We Are Marquette

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 01:34:05 PM »
Very nice internal memo. Lets see what they say after he gets Diamond Stone to come to MU...:)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 01:46:21 PM »
That was a great and high class move by Duke. Have always hated them...now I will have to give them some begrudging respect
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 02:25:17 PM »
Always respected Duke, but never cared one way or the other. It all changed in February, when my son and I went to the Duke/Syracuse game at Duke. I've been fortunate to do a lot of sports bucket list things, and this will probably go down as the best. My son saw Parker play in AAU a few years back and has been a fan ever since. Students and fans were great, atmosphere and venue just phenomenal. We went to North Carolina/Wake game earlier that day and it just paled in comparison. We had nothing to do after the game, so we waited around with a handful of people waiting for autographs. While we were waiting, we shot around at the NBA-quality portable hoop they have outside Cameron. Just me and my son shooting hoops well into the night. Not long after, we got to meet ever player -- Plumlee, Hood, Cook, Parker — every last one of them. Nicest group of players I have ever met. Also met Jay Bilas and Grant Hill.  Hood asked us if we thought the big play he made was a charge just as casual as any two bball fans talking about the game. It made me a Duke fan for life. I had to make the decision to go to the Duke/Syracuse game or the BE Tourney back in late October. Once my son's ball schedule came out, the decision was made for me. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. Considering the way the last 10 days have played out, I'm pretty excited about Coach Wojo joining our team. You never know how it will turn out, but he's known as a passionate dude who brings some national cachet to the program. We caught lightning in a bottle with an assistant from the Izzo tree, no reason to think we can't do the same with an even more well-known guy from Coach K.

mufib

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 02:40:24 PM »
That was a great and high class move by Duke. Have always hated them...now I will have to give them some begrudging respect

I agree with you completely. I have never liked Duke, but this was a very classy email.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 02:43:14 PM »

I've always liked them.  They do if right and they have success.  Mostly good kids, classy coach.  What he did after Mercer was cool

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 02:47:13 PM »
I respect Duke more than most schools,being more than envious of there success!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 02:50:40 PM »
Always respected Duke, but never cared one way or the other. It all changed in February, when my son and I went to the Duke/Syracuse game at Duke. I've been fortunate to do a lot of sports bucket list things, and this will probably go down as the best. My son saw Parker play in AAU a few years back and has been a fan ever since. Students and fans were great, atmosphere and venue just phenomenal. We went to North Carolina/Wake game earlier that day and it just paled in comparison. We had nothing to do after the game, so we waited around with a handful of people waiting for autographs. While we were waiting, we shot around at the NBA-quality portable hoop they have outside Cameron. Just me and my son shooting hoops well into the night. Not long after, we got to meet ever player -- Plumlee, Hood, Cook, Parker — every last one of them. Nicest group of players I have ever met. Also met Jay Bilas and Grant Hill.  Hood asked us if we thought the big play he made was a charge just as casual as any two bball fans talking about the game. It made me a Duke fan for life. I had to make the decision to go to the Duke/Syracuse game or the BE Tourney back in late October. Once my son's ball schedule came out, the decision was made for me. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. Considering the way the last 10 days have played out, I'm pretty excited about Coach Wojo joining our team. You never know how it will turn out, but he's known as a passionate dude who brings some national cachet to the program. We caught lightning in a bottle with an assistant from the Izzo tree, no reason to think we can't do the same with an even more well-known guy from Coach K.

great story-thanks for sharing-you and your son will remember forever-never really minded the duke successes, but if we had to play them once or twice a year, that would probably be different.  the dickie v love thing with duke is annoying.  otherwise, i believe wojo is a good choice.  hopefully, if that is the case, we can retain him for awhile as mike k has with duke.  let's build tradition again like al/hank started here
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU Beaver

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 02:51:16 PM »

Wisconsin Basketball Tweeted out Congrats this afternoon to the Marquette team and Coach WOJO saying they look forward to our next game in December. I thought that was classy as well considering the run they are on now!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 02:53:45 PM »
Wisconsin Basketball Tweeted out Congrats this afternoon to the Marquette team and Coach WOJO saying they look forward to our next game in December. I thought that was classy as well considering the run they are on now!!

+1.  But what would MU-RaRa say?

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2014, 02:55:20 PM »
With all that Duke money we could be in the same place. Of course we would have to change our name to Dukette (sorry could not help myself).

Why not Dukiet

feedback