Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Was the Lovell's hiring basketball related after all?  (Read 3543 times)

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
Was the Lovell's hiring basketball related after all?
« on: April 01, 2014, 11:31:19 AM »
I'm not suggesting Lovell is unworthy or a bad hire.  I'm simply curious if, in hindsight, the hire was made given a situation which no longer exists.

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Was the Lovell's hiring basketball related after all?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 11:32:35 AM »
The hiring? No.
The timing of the announcement? Yes.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 11:55:08 AM »
Wondering to what extent Lovell influenced the decision?  A rumor that he was in the "Wojo camp" and may have even been the one to put him on the radar - respects the Duke program, and hiring a Polish Catholic was a nice bonus and not an accident.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 11:56:54 AM »
Wondering to what extent Lovell influenced the decision?  A rumor that he was in the "Wojo camp" and may have even been the one to put him on the radar - respects the Duke program, and hiring a Polish Catholic was a nice bonus and not an accident.

I heard a rumor that Wojo was the one who got Lovell hired.  And my source can beat up your source.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 12:06:57 PM »
I'm not suggesting Lovell is unworthy or a bad hire.  I'm simply curious if, in hindsight, the hire was made given a situation which no longer exists.

Process for hiring a new President started last October.  The semi-final is were interviewed March 10.

The decision was already made.  The announcement was pushed up from an originally scheduled late April to remove uncertainty for the next coach.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 01:22:14 PM »
Lovell a big JP2 fan?

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 01:25:31 PM »
I haven't read all the threads, so this may have been covered, but I wondered earlier if the Cuonzo announcement that he was removing his name was to save face because he didn't get the job.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 01:25:48 PM »
The hiring? No.
The timing of the announcement? Yes.

This.
We Are Marquette

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 01:28:21 PM »
I haven't read all the threads, so this may have been covered, but I wondered earlier if the Cuonzo announcement that he was removing his name was to save face because he didn't get the job.

Yes.  Put it in sharpie.

28thBrew

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 01:29:47 PM »

If Lovell is a bad hire, then he will judged that on a basis that has nothing to do with the success of our basketball team. Get a grip. Marquette is a university, not a sports organization.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 01:30:47 PM »

yes

To think otherwise is wrong

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 01:32:30 PM »

It's tantamount to the old George Jetson/Mr. Spacely exchange: "you can't fire me, because I quit."

In this case it's: "you can't hire me, because I withdraw."   Doesn't have the same ring to it, but that's basically the bottom line.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 01:43:16 PM »
Remember that all coaches are "hired to be fired."

You want to make sure you organization is inviting to potential coaches.  So, keep mum about Buzz leaving and letting CM "withdraw" is all about making you inviting to potential and future coaching hires.

No one wants to go to get hired by an organization that slams you when leaving (because everyone will leave someday).  No one will interview with an organization that screams "loser" when they don't pick you.  So CM "withdraws" and watch how complimentary they will be of Howland when asked at today's presser.

Have to understand how the world works.  Unfortunately most around here don't.  When an employee (Brent) leaves for a worse organization (VT) for less money, we know what that means.  Brent felt forced to get out and was "encouraged" to do so.  Don't need inside knowledge of this, just need to know how the real world works.

When someone interviews (Cuonzo) for a better job and more money (MU) and marches out of the interview and "withdraws" his name, we all know what that means.  He wasn't going to get it and the organization allows him to save face.  It's how the world works.

feedback