Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: For you "I'll support whoever they hire" people  (Read 9335 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
For you "I'll support whoever they hire" people
« on: March 31, 2014, 06:51:10 PM »
Wow, I guess it's a sign of the times, and that I'm getting old that you have pick and side and love or hate every possible new coach before a coach is announced. 

I mean, why wait until someone's hired to start loving/hating!

There's a few coaches in Div I I definitely wouldn't want, a few I would take in a heartbeat, and a whole load of switchables guy's in the middle I'll support, and think can be successful at Marquette.  I'm guessing we're likely to end up with the last of those three, and that's not a bad thing.

I'm not the only one with this viewpoint, right?

Sharpie

• Team Captain
Re: For you "I'll support whoever they hire" people
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 06:53:22 PM »
I share your sentiments. Give the new hire a chance and not try and run him out of town before he even sets foot on campus.

BenCat12

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 06:54:12 PM »
Wow, I guess it's a sign of the times, and that I'm getting old that you have pick and side and love or hate every possible new coach before a coach is announced. 

There's a few coaches in Div I I definitely wouldn't want, a few I would take in a heartbeat, and a whole load of switchables guy's in the middle I'll support, and think can be successful at Marquette.  I'm guessing we're likely to end up with the last of those three, and that's not a bad thing.

+1  Too many posts are all or nothing on this board, and it is a sign of the times.  All the candidates have positive attributes or they wouldn't be considered.  All of the candidates have question marks attached to them as well.  I'm willing to give Cords and Co. the benefit of the doubt.  At least until I see the Marquette Madness scrimmage! ;D

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 06:55:39 PM »
We want someone who understands and has experience winning in college basketball. I am sure there are many on the list as you describe that will do well at MU.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 06:56:30 PM »
Honestly, who isn't going to support the guy?  No matter who is hired, every MU fan (more the vast vast  majority) will want him to succeed.  If he doesn't, there will plenty of questions and gnashing of teeth why.  I think even the TC haters wanted MU to do well when he was here, though maybe a few didn't.  I don't remember more than 2 or 3 goofballs that didn't want MU to do well under Buzz.

People are asking legitimate questions right now.  I think that's natural.  We say we are a major player, it begs the question why we don't act like one.  Or, as I think is actually the case we did try, got rebuffed and we're back to where we are.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 06:56:55 PM »
Agree and hope it happens soon....

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 07:00:52 PM »
this got me thinking;  what are the chances a Div 1 school ever hires a female for head coach?  It's worked out pretty well with Geno Auremia (little different situation but nonetheless mixed gender).  Lots of variables of course but something to ponder.  For the record I think Pat Summit could have done it successfully

brandx

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 07:01:10 PM »
Agreed. There are a lot of assistants (and some HCs) out there that are going to end up as very good coaches. I think Cords is trying to get a feel for who's who out there that can be successful at MU.

I don't know that the search has gone any better or any worse than searches anywhere else. Only seems that way because of someone on the Scouts board.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 07:09:49 PM »

Needed to be written. Amazed at how quickly "fans" have sh-it on certain candidates they know little about. I'm waiting until the announcement and then we'll go forward.

Last time you could understand the skepticism. Took only six days and hired a guy who was at MU for just ten months that fans knew very little about and when asked what kind of offense he would run at MU he answered, "a winning one". There was reason to be afraid but all turned out well for five seasons. Just because this search is being handled diligently doesn't mean we won't have the same outcome.

hoops12

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 07:17:38 PM »
Anyone can bring greatness to a basketball program. It just takes the right fit! Whoever Marquette chooses MUST work like there is no tomorrow, a coaching staff that can recruit talented athletes/basketball players, players that "believe" in the program/coaching staff, and a fan base that will support them. The entire culture must be built. If some of those aspects are missing, it won't work. When players, and coaches are all on the same page, the fan base will always be supportive. I believe MU will find the right guy, and I will support them 100%. When they take over on day one, their past coaching experience won't really matter. It's all about what they do once they arrive on campus. GO MU! :o

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 07:18:02 PM »
Honestly, who isn't going to support the guy?  No matter who is hired, every MU fan (more the vast vast  majority) will want him to succeed.  If he doesn't, there will plenty of questions and gnashing of teeth why.  I think even the TC haters wanted MU to do well when he was here, though maybe a few didn't.  I don't remember more than 2 or 3 goofballs that didn't want MU to do well under Buzz.

People are asking legitimate questions right now.  I think that's natural.  We say we are a major player, it begs the question why we don't act like one.  Or, as I think is actually the case we did try, got rebuffed and we're back to where we are.

You must have missed some of the posts about cancelling season tickets and withholding donations if X coach is hired. I agree that most will support the next coach, but there seems to be some real vitriol being spewed at certain coaches here.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 07:29:25 PM »

Agree with all you said with one exception. Getting rebuffed is part of life. Picking oneself up and choosing the next best option shows commitment. Falling back to rolling the dice and settling for also rans is not leadership. If someone knows this is the best we can do we will all move on and support whoever is chosen. Until then we should express our opinions IMHO. If not what is a blog for?
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 07:34:06 PM »
Agree with all you said with one exception. Getting rebuffed is part of life. Picking oneself up and choosing the next best option shows commitment. Falling back to rolling the dice and settling for also rans is not leadership. If someone knows this is the best we can do we will all move on and support whoever is chosen. Until then we should express our opinions IMHO. If not what is a blog for?

Getting rejected is a part of the game, but it shouldn't have been so public. More of a "if I did this, where would that leave us." And I think we are legitimately debating whether we are truly picking the next best option. We are a high major program that has a lot to offer. We don't need to get cute. Howland made too much sense, but we seem to have talked ourselves out of it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 07:51:36 PM »
My problem is with those who are CERTAIN that Coach A will be garbage, Coach B will be an embarrassment, Coach C will set the program back or Coach D is the guy we absolutely must hire.

I mean, how can anybody possibly know these things with such certainty?

If somebody can show me proof that he or she KNEW six years ago that Buzz was going take us to five straight NCAAs -- including S16-S16-E8 -- then I will give that person benefit of the doubt for being certain about our next hire.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 07:52:32 PM »
For the record (Chicos, 71), of course debate is good, but a quick glance at recent topic threads told me that people are picking sides too quickly...

For the Martin backers, if UT doesn't make the play-in game.....
For you Wojo Lovers

Why Not Jerry Wainwright?
The Fallacy of the "Flavor of the Month"
And Then There Were 2...
For you Gregg Marshall lovers....
Question for Chicos re: the process
Goodman's College Basketball Transfer list
Wojo and the "Assistant Route"
For the Anti-Martin people

And there are more...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 10:41:39 PM by rocky_warrior »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 08:05:55 PM »
I see what you did there on switchables. Must have been a Freudian slip.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 08:18:20 PM »
Can we repeat this thread, but with a poll?
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 08:21:46 PM »

Mods aren't supposed to have opinions. They're supposed to tell us what's wrong with ours.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 09:06:39 PM »
this got me thinking;  what are the chances a Div 1 school ever hires a female for head coach?  It's worked out pretty well with Geno Auremia (little different situation but nonetheless mixed gender).  Lots of variables of course but something to ponder.  For the record I think Pat Summit could have done it successfully

I think the chances are zero.

I also don't think Pat Summit would have been a good mens coach.  Obviously ball is ball, but both womens basketball games that I have ever seen in my life were all about fundamentals.  I honestly wouldn't doubt if girls teams practice bank shots.

Also note that I saw an interview with Auriemmea and they asked him "would you ever move over to coach mens bball"  and he answered "I don't hear my phone ringing."

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 09:12:49 PM »
spot on, rocky

war1980rior

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2014, 09:27:39 PM »
Nice post, Rocky!

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2014, 10:46:19 PM »
Agreed. Don't see anything outwardly problematic with any of the identified candidates. (OK, maybe Wainwright!) Have to trust Cords on this and I do. If it's one thing I have confidence in it's that they are doing due diligence. 

Heck, the only reason we are in this sh!tstorm is because Shaka did a 180 on us.  Every subsequent candidate is now held up to the Shaka standard, comes up short, and is subsequently raked over the coals.

On the bright side, I've enjoyed the (non-hostile) interplay, GIFs, haikus, and hiring rumors regardless of accuracy or source.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2014, 10:53:34 PM »
You must have missed some of the posts about cancelling season tickets and withholding donations if X coach is hired. I agree that most will support the next coach, but there seems to be some real vitriol being spewed at certain coaches here.

Blather....Alec Baldwin never moved to Canada did he?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2014, 10:58:58 PM »
For the record (Chicos, 71), of course debate is good, but a quick glance at recent topic threads told me that people are picking sides too quickly...

For the Martin backers, if UT doesn't make the play-in game.....
For you Wojo Lovers

Why Not Jerry Wainwright?
The Fallacy of the "Flavor of the Month"
And Then There Were 2...
For you Gregg Marshall lovers....
Question for Chicos re: the process
Goodman's College Basketball Transfer list
Wojo and the "Assistant Route"
For the Anti-Martin people

And there are more...

None of those have to do with supporting the coach.  It is going through the  natural opining of who the coach might be, pros, cons, etc.  

I'd love to be at the press conference and ask a few questions.  I'll support Martin, but it does still make me scratch my head that the Marquette that claims to be in that next level of programs is hiring someone with 1 NCAA tournament in 6 years.  I'm sorry, it just sticks out like a sore thumb.  I've heard he is a good man, doesn't cheat, etc....all huge pluses for me.  

If Martin is the guy, it tells me that MU was rebuffed by many, which isn't that big a surprise.  It's a shame Smart couldn't happen because you would have had 95%+ of the fanbase beside themselves.  I wish the leakers didn't say a damn word, only makes it worse.  Having Smart as a "DONE DEAL" and ending up with Martin is a pretty big difference and no one is going to convince me otherwise of that.  Not because I'm stubborn, but because it cannot be done.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 11:27:34 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2014, 11:15:24 PM »
None of those have to do with supporting the coach.  It is going through the  natural opining of who the coach might be, pros, cons, etc.   

I'd love to be at the press conference and ask a few questions.  I'll support Martin, but it does still make me scratch my head that the Marquette that claims to be in that next level of programs is hiring someone with 1 NCAA tournament in 6 years.  I'm sorry, it just sticks out like a sore thumb.  I've heard he is a good man, doesn't cheat, etc....all huge pluses for me. 

If Martin is the guy, it tells me that MU wasn't rebuffed by many, which isn't that big a surprise.  It's a shame Smart couldn't happen because you would have had 95%+ of the fanbase beside themselves.  I wish the leakers didn't say a damn word, only makes it worse.  Having Smart as a "DONE DEAL" and ending up with Martin is a pretty big difference and no one is going to convince me otherwise of that.  Not because I'm stubborn, but because it cannot be done.

Yes, it seems as if Martin backers feel as if every piece of evidence presented is an attack.  It is not.  It is material presented to generate discussion on the strengths/weakness of a candidate.  This is the same thing that any business does when hiring a candidate. 

feedback