Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 10:43:28 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo and the "Assistant Route"  (Read 19740 times)

D'Lo Brown

• All American
Re: Wojo and the "Assistant Route"
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2014, 11:50:59 AM »
My BIG problem with this is that the track record for Duke assistances in their first stop taking over a program has not been great.  So for me considering this guy is a double risk.  First you have the assistant risk.  Second you have the Duke assistant track record risk.
Add to this this guy is rated as the 17th best assistant coach D1 recruiter .  Seventeen, who the heck are the other 16.  Duke is the absolute most sought after program in all of the NCAA.  They have their pick of whoever they want.  If this guys doesn't show up in the top 5 as recruiters I have absolutely no confidence that he could recruit at a normal program.  Sorry pass!

What is it about Duke assistants that cause them to not work out as head coaches? They aren't all the same person.

I'm more concerned with his work ethic, personality, knowledge, etc than who he may have worked alongside... All accounts from the Duke crowd are that Wojo could be a great head coach.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2014, 11:55:13 AM »
What is it about Duke assistants that cause them to not work out as head coaches? They aren't all the same person.

I'm more concerned with his work ethic, personality, knowledge, etc than who he may have worked alongside... All accounts from the Duke crowd are that Wojo could be a great head coach.

I'll bet 95% of fan bases across the country say that about their assistant coaches.  Human nature.  It's the backup QB syndrome.  
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 12:11:18 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2014, 11:57:02 AM »
This. So much this.

All this talk of landing a "big boy" and "impact hire" just proves what our friends to the west say about an MU inferiority complex. We're so wrapped up in not being seen as a stepping stone and validating the program that some seem more concerned about hiring the biggest name out there than finding the best fit for Marquette.

Uhm, no.  It's about experience, proven comodity, etc.  Experience has value, otherwise every major program would hire assistants all the time.  Major corporations would hire young accounting guy as CEO, etc, etc.  Experience means something.  That's why most programs at our level don't hire assistants.  There are exceptions to the rule, but by and large they don't...for a reason. 

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2014, 12:07:26 PM »
I'll be 95% of fan bases across the country say that about their assistant coaches.  Human nature.  It's the backup QB syndrome.  

I think you're on to something there but at the same time, that's no reason to write Wojo off.

Like I said, if he has all of the requisite traits of a great head coach, then go for him. The best, most recent example of a similar case was stated previously in this thread, when Uconn hired Kevin Ollie. I lived in CT at the time and people certainly questioned the move. He had almost no experience as a coach and wasn't even next in line as an assistant at Uconn. He was basically just on the sidelines. Ollie was Calhoun's favorite player, though, and Jim always talked about how special he was and could be. He knew that Ollie would be a great coach and be accepted by the players. So the university went ahead with him, even though it was clearly a huge risk based on his experience level... Sometimes you have to take risks on talent/upside, though.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2014, 12:11:44 PM »
There is a balance.  Oneill's/Crean's energy and enthusiasm trumped Dukiet's/Deane's experience. Ideally, we get an experienced coach with energy and enthusiasm.

I think at Marquette we need strong personality as well, because selling Milwaukee isnt an easy thing to do.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2014, 12:14:10 PM »
Uhm, no.  It's about experience, proven comodity, etc.  Experience has value, otherwise every major program would hire assistants all the time.  Major corporations would hire young accounting guy as CEO, etc, etc.  Experience means something.  That's why most programs at our level don't hire assistants.  There are exceptions to the rule, but by and large they don't...for a reason. 

Do we have anything that indicates that experienced coaches are more successful in new gigs than former assistants?
Certainly MU's experience runs counter to that. Former assistants O'Neill, Crean and Williams = success. Proven commodities Dukiet and Dean = failure.

Ultimately, I think it's silly to go into a search like this with  pre-requisites, i.e. must have head coaching experience, must have playing experience, must have ties to a blueblood program, etc. Conduct a wide search, consider all types and then choose the guy you believe fits best with your program.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2014, 12:22:48 PM »

It very well could be the Duke itself or Coach K or the type of players they are able to recruit.
Coach K is probably the most brilliant X and Os guy currently coaching.  You can sit next to him and see what he does but that does not make you him.
The school has an aura that almost makes it above criticism.  You've got Dicky V and may others just constantly singing their praises.  Therefore these assistances never have to deal with adversity.
Finally because they can choose whatever recruits they want they can get the guys that best fit their system.  They don't have to take chances on guys with academic problems or ontorages or all the other stuff a normal coach has to deal with.  
Then when they get their own gig and its not Duke and they have to deal with all these issues they are illprepared to deal.  I'm not saying this is what happens but it couple a reasonable thesis with the track record and their is reason to stay away.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2014, 02:41:16 PM »
It very well could be the Duke itself or Coach K or the type of players they are able to recruit.
Coach K is probably the most brilliant X and Os guy currently coaching.  You can sit next to him and see what he does but that does not make you him.
The school has an aura that almost makes it above criticism.  You've got Dicky V and may others just constantly singing their praises.  Therefore these assistances never have to deal with adversity.
Finally because they can choose whatever recruits they want they can get the guys that best fit their system.  They don't have to take chances on guys with academic problems or ontorages or all the other stuff a normal coach has to deal with.  
Then when they get their own gig and its not Duke and they have to deal with all these issues they are illprepared to deal.  I'm not saying this is what happens but it couple a reasonable thesis with the track record and their is reason to stay away.

Strong argument - was curious what the opinion would be on that.

The flipside is that, yes, he has been involved in the best program in the country at Duke for the last 20 years. Excellence breeds excellence, and he should know a lot about what it takes to win.  Unlike a lot of the other blue blood programs, Duke doesn't seem to ever have a down year. I'm assuming that he must have gained some valuable skills/knowledge in those 20 years under Coach K.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2014, 03:16:24 PM »
Officially interviewing Wojo

https://twitter.com/stevewisemanNC

thekahoona

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2014, 03:18:53 PM »
There is a balance.  Oneill's/Crean's energy and enthusiasm trumped Dukiet's/Deane's experience. Ideally, we get an experienced coach with energy and enthusiasm.

I think at Marquette we need strong personality as well, because selling Milwaukee isnt an easy thing to do.

This. This. This. I like this as the yard stick - best guy we can get that has the combo of experience and energy.

That is why striking out on Shaka is a bummer.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2014, 03:22:12 PM »
This. This. This. I like this as the yard stick - best guy we can get that has the combo of experience and energy.

Yes.... out of all the coaches that have been mentioned, none seems to have that personality/energy that draws excitement.  Experience is available.... but where is that person that has that charisma and magnetism? 

VolFan

• Walk-On
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2014, 03:35:22 PM »
To me it comes down to which guy is the hungriest?  Who has that unstoppable drive that they will succeed no matter what?  I think those kinds of guys are usually successful.  Crean and Buzz both had that and it worked in our favor.  Does a guy like Howland still have that or is he just ready to play it out ala Tubby Smith at Minnesota.   Does a guy like Martin have it?  Don't know but I saw in another thread someone describe him as a lazy recruiter ala Mike Deane.   My guess is Wojo has it.  He's been around success his whole career.  He's recruiting with the big dogs at his current job.  He's tired of being in Coach K's shadow and wants to build his own program.   Who doesn't want to outshine their parent or mentor?   If I were picking Wojo would be my guy.  I think the potential upside is worth the risk.

Martin got 2 5* recruits at UT in 3 years.  How many did Williams get at Marquette?  Say want you want about Martin, but lazy is not an adjective I would use to describe him.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2014, 06:44:50 PM »

+1

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2014, 07:03:26 PM »
One would hope that is the case, or why hire them.  Question will be, is it the better guy.  A question that will be impossible to answer no matter what happens.

I don't think my comments about acting like a big boy program change, however.  Most of the programs we aspire to be and many we think we are as good as, by and large, do not hire assistant coaches.  Sometimes you have to and need to.  Not the approach most take, for whatever reason but I think the reasons are common sense.

I agree with you.

MULS1999

• Walk-On
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2014, 10:41:13 AM »
Damn good hire.  From what I'm hearing, Wojo's interview included his presenting a comprehensive program plan that touched on every aspect of operations.  He's been trained for this and is well-prepared to succeed.

For those of you questioning why MU didn't (or couldn't) "go bigger," I'm not sure there was a candidate under consideration with more coaching upside than Wojo.  Great success usually requires bold action.  This was a bold move by the administration, but not recklessly so in my opinion.

With his background and make-up, Wojo could be a great one.  And in two years, I would not be the least bit surprised if Marquette was employing the "hottest young coach in America."     

But before any of us judge him, let's give Coach Wojciechowski our support and a fair opportunity to prove himself worthy of the great opportunity he's been given.

Onwards, Marquette.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2014, 10:46:26 AM »

For those of you questioning why MU didn't (or couldn't) "go bigger,"

Because MU is incapable of landing those types of coaches.  It is what it is.  That has been proven for a long time....rebuffed constantly.   So we make lemonade out of lemons, which is a good thing.  Make no bones about it, however, MU can't lure a big name coach to MU and never has.

Seriously, MU NEVER has in our history unless you want to count Eddie Hickey in that category.  That would be it.

WarriorDoc

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2014, 11:22:41 AM »
Because MU is incapable of landing those types of coaches.  It is what it is.  That has been proven for a long time....rebuffed constantly.   So we make lemonade out of lemons, which is a good thing.  Make no bones about it, however, MU can't lure a big name coach to MU and never has.

Seriously, MU NEVER has in our history unless you want to count Eddie Hickey in that category.  That would be it.

From piecing together twittersphere, Howland badly wanted the job, it's just that MU wouldn't pony up the cash for him. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2014, 12:49:37 PM »

We can...but we have higher standards for our coaches than other schools. They can't get away with things that they can get away with at other schools
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2014, 12:52:36 PM »
funny how national pundits and basketball media figures are applauding the hire but Scooper hate it...

brandx

« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2014, 01:41:36 PM »
Damn good hire.  From what I'm hearing, Wojo's interview included his presenting a comprehensive program plan that touched on every aspect of operations.  He's been trained for this and is well-prepared to succeed.

For those of you questioning why MU didn't (or couldn't) "go bigger," I'm not sure there was a candidate under consideration with more coaching upside than Wojo.  Great success usually requires bold action.  This was a bold move by the administration, but not recklessly so in my opinion.

What's "bigger"? The top assistant at one of the top 5 programs in the country, or a successful HC at a mid-major (Shaka) who has made it to the Sweet 16 once in 5 seasons, or a former HC (Howland) who lost control of his team and hasn't been rumored for any other jobs since?

I guess a case can be made for any of them - but WoJo stacks up just fine here.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2014, 02:08:38 PM »
Damn good hire.  From what I'm hearing, Wojo's interview included his presenting a comprehensive program plan that touched on every aspect of operations.  He's been trained for this and is well-prepared to succeed.

For those of you questioning why MU didn't (or couldn't) "go bigger," I'm not sure there was a candidate under consideration with more coaching upside than Wojo.  Great success usually requires bold action.  This was a bold move by the administration, but not recklessly so in my opinion.

With his background and make-up, Wojo could be a great one.  And in two years, I would not be the least bit surprised if Marquette was employing the "hottest young coach in America."    

But before any of us judge him, let's give Coach Wojciechowski our support and a fair opportunity to prove himself worthy of the great opportunity he's been given.

Onwards, Marquette.

I like this very positive take.

Those who claim to be absolutely certain today that this is a bad hire are negative dopes who don't deserve to be Marquette fans.

Please note: I'm not saying that anybody who offers valid criticism of anything having to do with Marquette is a dope. I'm saying that uninformed, ignorant people who are negative just for the sake of it are dopes.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 02:22:11 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2014, 02:15:26 PM »
nm

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2014, 02:42:22 PM »
Pastner and Cronin