Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Duane Wilson tweets  (Read 21591 times)

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Re: Duane Wilson tweets
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2014, 01:13:44 PM »
Do we know that these tweets are about buzz? Maybe the players were lead to believe a certain coach had accepted the MU job, and then later found out it was not to be.

Yes, I believe those were tweeted just last night. Could be about Buzz, a candidate, a soon to be former teammate, or something not related to BBall at all.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2014, 01:17:56 PM »
Yes, I believe those were tweeted just last night. Could be about Buzz, a candidate, a soon to be former teammate, or something not related to BBall at all.

I think the majority of the tweets were from the Friday and Saturday that Buzz left.  I've seen them posted here what seems like hundreds of times now.

Between subscribing the 18 year old kids' twitter accounts to decipher their intentions, the conspiracy theories, every poster here having a source, and a couple posters who start a new topic every time they formulate a thought this place really has been a strange locale these last few days.

Most of our significant others rightfully would be ashamed by the level of fanaticism going on around here.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2014, 01:33:35 PM »
half the time their tweets are song lyrics or lines from a tv show.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2014, 01:39:29 PM »
Did he really leave it in better shape? We are going to hardly have a bench next year because all of his recruits want out. We have no front court due to his recruiting. He had the 3 amigos and lazar when he got the job. I don't really think we are in a better position.

He got as many sweet sixteens in six years as the past six coaches did in 30. Nuff said
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2014, 01:52:02 PM »
He got as many sweet sixteens in six years as the past six coaches did in 30. Nuff said

The results that Buzz had while at Marquette and how he left the program are two completely different things TAMU.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2014, 01:59:14 PM »
Sigh...

Buzz left my program in a better state that he found it. That is good enough for me. Don't understand why we need to bash all our former coaches. All it does is make us look bad
Spoken like a true Buzz BS believer.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2014, 03:22:54 PM »
The results that Buzz had while at Marquette and how he left the program are two completely different things TAMU.

Yes, but those results helped bolster the program's image. I would say we definitely look stronger now than we did when Crean left. If all the players bolt, that's another thing entirely. But I think we won't see that. 2 to 3 leaving is my prediction. And if its any combination of Derrick, Juan, Pierce, Shayok, or Dawson, I think we will be ok.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2014, 03:24:42 PM »
Spoken like a true Buzz BS believer.

I think he used us a stepping stone, just like every other coach since Hand Raymonds did. Not sure why we expected anything different.

I appreciate the service he did for my university. Buzz's positives far outweighed his negatives IMHO
TAMU

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2014, 06:15:30 PM »
Sigh...

Buzz left my program in a better state that he found it. That is good enough for me. Don't understand why we need to bash all our former coaches. All it does is make us look bad

The fact he decided to take shots at the conference, the television deal, and left for a LOWER SALARY and went to Va. Tech...that speaks VOLUMES...both in words and actions.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2014, 08:04:35 PM »
Just now he tweeted....

@SwaggyDu1: Jan 20th is one day I'll never forget.

That happened to be the day MU beat GTown with Dawson and Mayo (I think) playing a lot and playing well. May mean absolutely nothing, but is Duane giving us the story 140 characters at a time?

Again, likely pure coincidence, but I happened to notice that I made the following post on 1/21, simply because the tweet struck me. Didn't know why, but it kind of jumped off the screen at me.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=41605.0

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2014, 08:17:12 PM »
Jesus H. Christ. Are you a student? I hope so. Because you are monitoring the tweets of a college freshman and using them to validate your messages on an internet chat board. Get a grip. He's 18 years old. Don't be a creep!

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2014, 08:22:18 PM »
Jesus H. Christ. Are you a student? I hope so. Because you are monitoring the tweets of a college freshman and using them to validate your messages on an internet chat board. Get a grip. He's 18 years old. Don't be a creep!

Na man, I got a house, kids,the whole thing....if by monitoring, you mean following, then yes, guilty. I only found my earlier post because I went back to look at what happens on this board on January 20. The whole thing is just a little strange.

NotBuzzWilliams

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2014, 08:22:58 PM »
Could be about a girl.  Could be that he reads this forum and is messing with us

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2014, 08:56:58 PM »
I agree. Coaches work hard to get theses kids, win their trust etc. Then, they up and leave and the kids are left holding the bag. On the other hand, kids can transfer out also so that loyalty does go both ways.

Actually, 79, you inadvertently touched on one of the great hypocrisies in college sports.

When kids transfer out, they have to sit out a year. They have the game they love ripped away from them for an entire season.

When coaches up and leave, they aren't penalized one iota. In fact, most of them are rewarded handsomely for the disloyalty. The big upset wasn't that Buzz left but that he was one of the few who actually took a pay cut.

Yet another reason I hope the players get their union someday! The system is rigged against them and even when they get a slight loophole -- such as the one that allows smart kids to graduate after 3 years and then transfer without sitting out -- some clown wants to close it. Yep, we'd hate to let the indentured servants get even one advantage.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2014, 09:05:48 PM »
Actually, 79, you inadvertently touched on one of the great hypocrisies in college sports.

When kids transfer out, they have to sit out a year. They have the game they love ripped away from them for an entire season.

When coaches up and leave, they aren't penalized one iota. In fact, most of them are rewarded handsomely for the disloyalty. The big upset wasn't that Buzz left but that he was one of the few who actually took a pay cut.

Yet another reason I hope the players get their union someday! The system is rigged against them and even when they get a slight loophole -- such as the one that allows smart kids to graduate after 3 years and then transfer without sitting out -- some clown wants to close it. Yep, we'd hate to let the indentured servants get even one advantage.

Testify, brother. Deiven me craxpzy for years. One of the biggest symptoms of the disease that has my interest in college sports hanging by a thread.

NotBuzzWilliams

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2014, 05:51:59 PM »
Chosen One ‏@SwaggyDu1  1m
The closet person to me is moving. Man that hurt like a mf.

Hmmmm...  JJJ to Memphis?

bobnoxious

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2014, 06:05:30 PM »
Stone moving out of state?

awilhelmscream

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2014, 06:08:48 PM »

That was my first thought.  Stone going to one of those bball academies.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2014, 09:20:23 PM »
Duane...

My sig, homie.

Big thangs in 2014-15. BIG THANGS!  ;D
SS Marquette

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2014, 09:23:15 PM »

It was rumored on here quite a few times that they're not as close as people make them out to be. I don't really think he was talking about Stone regardless.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2014, 11:46:09 PM »
It was rumored on here quite a few times that they're not as close as people make them out to be. I don't really think he was talking about Stone regardless.

Those rumors came from one (admittedly respected) scooper. He has since rescinded.

Not sure if the tweets are related to basketball at all. I know all the current players are waiting to see who the new coach is.
TAMU

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2014, 11:53:44 PM »
Chosen One ‏@SwaggyDu1 5h

I'm in this alone..Found out i don't need a lot ppl.

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2014, 01:53:45 AM »
I agree. Coaches work hard to get theses kids, win their trust etc. Then, they up and leave and the kids are left holding the bag. On the other hand, kids can transfer out also so that loyalty does go both ways.

It seems to me that trying to equate an 18 year old with an adult making multimillion dollars a year who has portrayed himself as a father figure is a stretch beyond comprehension.
Players win awards but teams win championships

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2014, 03:43:15 AM »
I think he used us a stepping stone, just like every other coach since Hand Raymonds did. Not sure why we expected anything different.

I appreciate the service he did for my university. Buzz's positives far outweighed his negatives IMHO
No he didn't....the only reason if not the main reason Buzz Williams left is because all the other big name coaches and colleges left the original Big East and took their teams with them to the ACC!

That is the bottom line. You can doll it up all you want but that part I agree with. So he didn't lie when he said it. I believe him. He had this all in the works a long time ago.

He knew his biggest recruiting pitch of the Big East was now by and large gone, or so he thinks.

And I know what you are going to say, but no matter how much you will bring up the new TV deal he knew it would not be the same. Also not having a President, AD, and his former coach Monarch go to him too but he was in the middle of a contract and was stuck.

The original Big East with teams like Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Louisville, and the like left and he left...in so many ways. Larry Williams made some big decisions on that transition and he is gone so things got real messy.

That's why. I think he was on his way out the minute those coaches  left and was fixing this season up to do so.

He was overly loyal and he played and started lesser players so MU would not do so well and sit guys like Mayo and Taylor and JJJ until the season was lost to make it easier come up short and to be let go...this was all set up.

But it is what coaches do.He wanted to leave this conference the minute Brad Stevens, Boeheim, Pitino and Jamie and the others left but did not know how to do it.

He won't come out and say it, but that is exactly what it looks like to me...what he did and why he did and did not waste on minute putting on that VT pin and go on TV the very next day smiling about it with Charles Kenny and Clark.

It was set up...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 03:51:41 AM by MUHoopsFan2 »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2014, 07:38:24 AM »
No he didn't....the only reason if not the main reason Buzz Williams left is because all the other big name coaches and colleges left the original Big East and took their teams with them to the ACC!

That is the bottom line. You can doll it up all you want but that part I agree with. So he didn't lie when he said it. I believe him. He had this all in the works a long time ago.

He knew his biggest recruiting pitch of the Big East was now by and large gone, or so he thinks.

And I know what you are going to say, but no matter how much you will bring up the new TV deal he knew it would not be the same. Also not having a President, AD, and his former coach Monarch go to him too but he was in the middle of a contract and was stuck.

The original Big East with teams like Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Louisville, and the like left and he left...in so many ways. Larry Williams made some big decisions on that transition and he is gone so things got real messy.

That's why. I think he was on his way out the minute those coaches  left and was fixing this season up to do so.

He was overly loyal and he played and started lesser players so MU would not do so well and sit guys like Mayo and Taylor and JJJ until the season was lost to make it easier come up short and to be let go...this was all set up.

But it is what coaches do.He wanted to leave this conference the minute Brad Stevens, Boeheim, Pitino and Jamie and the others left but did not know how to do it.

He won't come out and say it, but that is exactly what it looks like to me...what he did and why he did and did not waste on minute putting on that VT pin and go on TV the very next day smiling about it with Charles Kenny and Clark.

It was set up...

I understand it is your opinion but it is not right.

If he believed that line of BS about the conference then take BC or Wake not VT. 

And I also believe administration insiders and their public statement that they knew days before he left he was going and "encouraged" him to do so. (Cords said he knew this was going to happen and Cords said they had internal conversations "weeks" before he bolted.)

Like Brent has said countless times, he was going to stay at MU as long as they would have him.  MU did not want him anymore.

The real question is why.  We will find out in the weeks/months after we make a new hire.

feedback