Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz is doing a great job making Cords job harder  (Read 12817 times)

WadeATKBurton

• All American
Re: Buzz is doing a great job making Cords job harder
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2014, 02:57:01 PM »
Destination job is in the eye of the beholder.  Is Gonzaga a destination job? Apparently it is to Mark Few. Wisconsin? How about all the schools that were not destination jobs until a certain coach made them that way,

Destination=blueblood program

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2014, 03:22:34 PM »
The reality is Buzz knew that with another lousy season, he would have slightly less luster. He was smart enough to get a big money job while he could get one. If you look back at some of the comments he has made over the years he has always reflected the fleeting nature of the college head coaching business.  All he is doing now is rewriting history as any promoter would do. At the end of the day water will always seek it's proper level and time will tell if Buzz is truly an upper echelon stable coach or just another Kevin O'Neil type journey man.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2014, 06:41:49 PM »
Agreed. At some point everyone should realize MU is not a destination job. It is absolutely a great job, great program, but for quality coaches......there will always be better jobs.  Some of the angst comes from the fact that he left for a conference and not a program as Crean did.

He went to the worst program in a very good conference...2 NCAA bids in 30 years and took a paycut to do it, all the while saying the Big East and FS1 were weakening the league (a league he couldn't do better than 6th in despite the returning players and picked 1st).

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2014, 07:03:40 PM »
"It's better to act yourself into a new way of thinking than it is to think yourself into a new way of acting..."  -Brent Williams
Can I just admit this quote blows my mind? What in the world does it even mean?

Buzz was like a George Lucas character and goddammit, I gotta admit I'm sorry he's gone.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2014, 09:31:31 PM »
Is that his concern any longer?  He's answering the question as he should (and as any of us would) and talking up his new gig.

With the realignment, the ACC is a basketball powerhouse.  Any potential coach knows that the MU job isn't what it was 3 years ago.  It's still a good job, but Buzz talking about the reality of the conference isn't something he should be faulted for.  There's plenty to knock Buzz for but I don't see this as being one of them.

Buzz is worried about Buzz so his comments should not be surprising. Oh I forget it is all about relationships. Good luck at VT Buzz. We will be fine.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2014, 12:26:27 AM »
Buzz looks like an idiot the second we announce three time final four coach Ben Howland as our new coach. That's the biggest STFU we can deliver.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2014, 06:06:30 AM »
Can I just admit this quote blows my mind? What in the world does it even mean?

Buzz was like a George Lucas character and goddammit, I gotta admit I'm sorry he's gone.
Yeah, the George Lucas character would be Darth Vader. C'mon man!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2014, 07:20:23 AM »
Destination job is in the eye of the beholder.  Is Gonzaga a destination job? Apparently it is to Mark Few. Wisconsin? How about all the schools that were not destination jobs until a certain coach made them that way,

Duke was a destination job for K
Syracuse was a destination job for Boeheim

Will They be after they are gone?

IU after Bobby Knight ... Since 2000, three Mike Davis, Kelvin Sampson and Crean,
More than MU over the same period (not counting next season)

UNC after Dean Smith ... Since 1999 three, Bill Guthridge, Matt Doherty and Roy
Same as MU over the same period (not counting next season)

UCLA after Wooden ... since 1975 then have had 9 different head coaches
MU since Al has had 6 different head coaches (not counting next season)

Their is only one truly destination job in all of college basketball.  One where a legend leaves and is replaced by another legend.  Michigan State

Jedd Heathcote, 1976 to 1995 ... 1979 NCAA Champs; 9 NCAA Appearances; 3 Conference Championships

Tom Izzo, 1996 to Present ... 2000 NCAA Champs; 2009 National Runner up, Final Four appearances in 1999, 2000, 2001, 2005, 2009, and 2010; 16 straight NCAA Tourney Appearances; 7 Conference Championships; 4 Conference Tournament Championships

feedback