Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why choose anyone other than Howland  (Read 9398 times)

LAZER

• All American
Re: Why choose anyone other than Howland
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2014, 01:21:48 PM »
Calipari has a national championship. Does he pass your sniff test?

He has a NC...for now

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2014, 01:24:42 PM »
 No other candidate is fit to smell his farts.  End this mummer's farce and bring the True Coach to MU.

Death on call

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2014, 01:28:21 PM »
   Been described as not a players coach and not overly-liked in the coaching community?  Style of play not overly interesting as well to recruits or fans...

I don't know.  We've been saying this about that coach out in Dane County.  He's doing well, isn't he.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2014, 01:30:28 PM »

Keefe--from the pictures they all look the same to me. Which guy are you advocating to hire. And please do not post a picture of a hot Israeli babe, eve though she might be a great recruiter.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

thekahoona

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2014, 01:47:17 PM »
You add nothing to this board.

No kidding. 

...and this did?

bean

• Walk-On
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2014, 01:52:36 PM »

I figured it out!

Those are pictures from a Mummers Parade.
The parade is held in Philadelphia every New Year's Day.
The University of Philadelphia's basketball team is known as the Rams.
The VCU basketball team is also known as the Rams.
So Shaka is still in the mix!

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2014, 02:07:16 PM »
If our goal is to make a splash hire (especially after the SS debacle), why would we consider hiring anyone other than Howland?

He's done nothing but win and recruit great talent.  I just don't get why we'd consider Martin and others over him. 

No one we're talking to outside of him can show potential recruits:
- 3 Final Four's
- 15 plus players sent to the NBA (most of them 1st round picks)

Can someone please tell me ?  It just makes zero sense to not pick him.

1. Is the goal to make a splash hire or hire the best coach for the job? Prez and AD may not think BH is the best coach for the job for some known or unknown reasons. Howland could very well be our next coach, but I certainly hope he doesn't get the job just because MU wanted to make a splash. I don't want to be the NY Jets of the BEast.

2. There could be several reasons to believe that his past success isn't necessarily an indicator of future performance. None of us have any idea what criteria MU is really looking at for the next coach, but there could be several factors that lead the admin to believe that his future will not be as bright as his past.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2014, 02:16:27 PM »
Was down on Howland after people kept referencing the lengthy SI story. But with hours of time freed up not internet-stalking Shaka, I read it, and was surprised. Basically, Howland is a fantastic coach and helps talent win. He's not interested in babysitting, holding team dinners, offering life lessons or waxing philosophical about the butcher, the baker and the candlestick maker. He's interested in winning basketball games. He won big games with talent. When a couple of bad apples came in and started partying in Hollywood, things started going south. Marquette is ready for a no-nonsense winner and I'm confident he would be a good fit for the culture and players here.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2014, 02:53:34 PM »
But when you recruit college kids you have to impose discipline or they will run wild..........The SI article was damning...he didn't hold people accountable.......That will not fly at MU

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2014, 02:54:49 PM »
Was down on Howland after people kept referencing the lengthy SI story. But with hours of time freed up not internet-stalking Shaka, I read it, and was surprised. Basically, Howland is a fantastic coach and helps talent win. He's not interested in babysitting, holding team dinners, offering life lessons or waxing philosophical about the butcher, the baker and the candlestick maker. He's interested in winning basketball games. He won big games with talent. When a couple of bad apples came in and started partying in Hollywood, things started going south. Marquette is ready for a no-nonsense winner and I'm confident he would be a good fit for the culture and players here.

Bullseye.

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2014, 02:55:35 PM »
But when you recruit college kids you have to impose discipline or they will run wild..........The SI article was damning...he didn't hold people accountable.......That will not fly at MU

Fifteen years of his coaching history says the SI article may have been a little one sided.

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2014, 03:22:30 PM »
You add nothing to this board.

No kidding. 

I just speak my mind. If I offend anyone then they need a life. I'm NOT an expert I'm only a fan, sir. If you/anyone dont like the things I say then there is an ignore button on here. Please use it. I love everyone's perspective on things involving this team, im not gonna disrespect anyone because I think they are wrong. Im blunt, fair and very open minded if you really wanna know if im "worthy" of being on this board, sir. Moving right along>>>>>>

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2014, 03:41:35 PM »
Howland clearly made some mistakes at UCLA and lost control of his team, but maybe he has learned from those experiences.  I also think that the type of player that lead to problems at UCLA is the guy who is good enough to get recruited there but is going for all the wrong reasons - basically fame, girls, partying in LA, etc.  That player probably doesn't go to Marquette.  

brandx

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2014, 06:17:56 PM »

You were at the Halloween parade in NYC? Never figured yo for that kind of guy  :D

Shark

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2014, 06:22:36 PM »
I think Counzo Martin is the next coach. I'm all in for Howland or Martin to be honest.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2014, 06:30:07 PM »
I believe Howland is out...if he was ever in.

I'm looking for Martin to get the gig. My sleeper is Danny Manning. 

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2014, 06:32:35 PM »
I believe Howland is out...if he was ever in.

I'm looking for Martin to get the gig. My sleeper is Danny Manning. 
Manning would be a good pick, but like Wardle, he is not ready, using the logic of the Wardle bashers.

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2014, 06:35:09 PM »
Manning would be a good pick, but like Wardle, he is not ready, using the logic of the Wardle bashers.

Manning was an assistant under Bill Self at Kansas. He is ready. Hurley would be intriguing...

Logi4three

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2014, 06:46:02 PM »
Why?  Did Uncle Ben sign somewhere else?  Did I miss the story where he interviewed somewhere else?  Did I miss the story that says MU is not interested in him.

Respect the process! :)

According to my "source", UNLV is after Shaka and Ben.  Once they hear what MU's offer was to Shaka, I am pretty sure they will go full press on Ben... so yes, I think it is safe to say the clock is ticking with Ben.

P.S. I am my source [and got it from Twitter... another highly reputable source]. 

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2014, 07:02:42 PM »
If UNLV's Dave Rice leaves for SFU Howland & Reggie Theus are in play.  Theus was the other finalist when Rice got the job and is immensely popular in Vegas. My gut feeling is that Rice gets an extension and stays.  He has a top recruiting class coming in next season.  This eliminates one potential job for Howland.

some local LV tweets: (Kunzer-Murphy is UNLV's AD)

edgraney ‏@edgraney  34m
Source: Kunzer-Murphy has been contacted by others on behalf of more than 15 coaches (mostly head coaches) already today. Some huge names.

edgraney ‏@edgraney  37m
Source confirms that if UNLV extends Dave Rice, he will likely stay. He wants extra $$ put back into the program, not for his pockets.

edgraney ‏@edgraney  39m
Rice and UNLV AD Tina Kunzer-Murphy to meet tonight. Decision either way should come fast.

edgraney ‏@edgraney  40m
Money is big from South Florida offer, but Rice wanting more years on UNLV deal more than anything.

edgraney ‏@edgraney  41m
… an academic advisor specifically for basketball (he shares one with baseball now) and other improvements he feels program needs.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 07:05:56 PM by VegasWarrior77 »
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2014, 07:14:39 PM »
how much does an academic advisor make...i can't believe that's a bargaining emphasis. seems like he'd get as many as he wants.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2014, 07:22:21 PM »

Bingo!  Let one of the assistants worry about the discipline.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2014, 07:38:42 PM »
I just speak my mind. If I offend anyone then they need a life. I'm NOT an expert I'm only a fan, sir. If you/anyone dont like the things I say then there is an ignore button on here. Please use it. I love everyone's perspective on things involving this team, im not gonna disrespect anyone because I think they are wrong. Im blunt, fair and very open minded if you really wanna know if im "worthy" of being on this board, sir. Moving right along>>>>>>
My advice; read more and post less.  Kind of like, open your ears and close your mouth.  I learn more on this site than I contribute and I don't have a probelm admitting that.  Just my loose change
No Finish Line

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2014, 07:50:55 PM »
Manning was an assistant under Bill Self at Kansas. He is ready. Hurley would be intriguing...
wardle was an asst. under Crean, so he is ready.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2014, 07:59:22 PM »
My two cents on Howland:

Seems like a better fit than he is.  He sort of let the inmates run the asylum in Westwood.  We kind of did that with the last coach.

feedback