Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Look, at least Bill Cords took a shot  (Read 9994 times)

79Warrior

• All American
Look, at least Bill Cords took a shot
« on: March 27, 2014, 08:05:00 PM »

We went for the home run hire. Feelers went out, he was interested and a dialogue began. At the end of the day, he turned us down. We are bummed, but there is no blame here. Marquette took a good shot and he obviously listened. SS decided to stay put.

We don't need to flame Bill Cords and Marquette. They tried hard, it did not work out. Time to move on.

Six years ago we were not in the hunt for a "home run". We will be fine. I am sure they have moved on to the next candidates. Hopefully, to quote The Who, we won't get fooled again.

Thank's Bill.

klyrish

• All American
Re: Look, at least Bill Cords took a shot
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 08:07:55 PM »
And his shot likely cost us a coach who actually wanted the job and would've been as good or better a hire than Shaka.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 08:08:18 PM »
Absolutely. No shame. Shaka turned down UCLA as well.
We Are Marquette

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 08:09:16 PM »
And his shot likely cost us a coach who actually wanted the job and would've been as good or better a hire than Shaka.

Would you just stop. You along with a bunch of other posters who have just come out of the woodwork have been nothing but negative and will never post again once this is over.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 08:10:06 PM »
The home run hire is still waiting for us to hire him.

SS has a lot of potential upside, but his track record is still limited.  In fact, other than the Final Four run (admittedly huge), he has still yet to win a single conference regular season title in 5 years.

Howland won 2 BETs and got to 2 Sweet Sixteens in four years at Pitt, and won 4 PAC-12 titles and got to 3 Final Fours at UCLA.  Home run hire.

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 08:10:33 PM »
Would you just stop. You along with a bunch of other posters who have just come out of the woodwork have been nothing but negative and will never post again once this is over.

I've been posting here for years. Not often, but don't worry: I'm not going anywhere. I paid $27,000/year for 4.5 years and will continue voicing my opinion of my alma mater. Deal with it.

mechaghidorah

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 08:13:16 PM »
If MU still gets Howland, it's fine.

But the others on their list are awful (don't think Marshall is wanted) and would signal a real decline in MU basketball.

And UW is just rolling, which makes everything that much more depressing.

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 08:15:07 PM »
If MU still gets Howland, it's fine.

Anyone less than Howland is a failure, plain and simple. And I won't support yet another administrative bungle. I don't get the people here who do and think that because we're alumni, we have to support every stupid decision they continue to make.

And UW is just rolling, which makes everything that much more depressing.

Sigh. Seriously.

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 08:15:24 PM »
If twitter is correct, we got played by Shaka... Met his demands and it still wasn't good enough #coktease
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 08:15:49 PM »

Last I checked, nobody has hired Ben Howland.

This place is hilarious. If MU had hired Howland over the weekend, you would have had a different group of folks bitching about MU not doing its due diligence and jumping at first guy available.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 08:16:59 PM »
We went for the home run hire. Feelers went out, he was interested and a dialogue began. At the end of the day, he turned us down. We are bummed, but there is no blame here. Marquette took a good shot and he obviously listened. SS decided to stay put.

We don't need to flame Bill Cords and Marquette. They tried hard, it did not work out. Time to move on.

Six years ago we were not in the hunt for a "home run". We will be fine. I am sure they have moved on to the next candidates. Hopefully, to quote The Who, we won't get fooled again.

Thank's Bill.

Yes, but have to close up the leaks.  Did MU zero good on that front.  Got all the fans spun up, then upset.  Potentially tells other coaches, you are not my top choice, etc.  Just no plus side to it at all.  Way too many leaks considering how many people were running with the story.  It was crazy how many people were publicly putting it out there as rock solid. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 08:17:52 PM »
If twitter is correct, we got played by Shaka... Met his demands and it still wasn't good enough #coktease

Takes two to tango to get played....

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 08:18:11 PM »
Last I checked, nobody has hired Ben Howland.

...that was kinda the point. As in: Marquette should have hired him immediately.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 08:18:36 PM »
Yes, but have to close up the leaks.  Did MU zero good on that front.  Got all the fans spun up, then upset.  Potentially tells other coaches, you are not my top choice, etc.  Just no plus side to it at all.  Way too many leaks considering how many people were running with the story.  It was crazy how many people were publicly putting it out there as rock solid. 

hopefully the silence of tuesday and wednesday were an indication of MU getting things in order on that front
MU15

RyanConroy

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 08:18:46 PM »
Hire Howland and no harm done here. We'll all forget about this and get excited about having a premiere coach in the country.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »
They can salvage a generous "C" for the process, but an A+ on the hire by getting this done now.  Since they've managed to make "amateur hour" ring true now that the national guys have run their stories of Smart rejecting MU, while gramps' move was to hold a press conference to ramble on about nothing.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2014, 08:20:33 PM »
...that was kinda the point. As in: Marquette should have hired him immediately.

Well, they still can. Failing to see your point.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 08:21:40 PM »

Not one a credible journalist. Please, rumors happen every time this happens at every school. The internet fuels it. Marquette cannot control what folks choose to tweet. Not one was from the University. There is only so much you can do. Give me a break.

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2014, 08:23:59 PM »
Well, they still can. Failing to see your point.

True, this would be the first time the BoT ever bungled something. Totally not their MO at all. I hope I'm wrong. I hope more than anything else right now that Howland is hired. I just can't see it happening no matter how hard I try to picture it.

mechaghidorah

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2014, 08:24:05 PM »
Takes two to tango to get played....

Shouldn't have MU known about Smart's reputation for playing this game and being an attention whore and made sure that things didn't play out this way?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 08:24:10 PM »
Not one a credible journalist. Please, rumors happen every time this happens at every school. The internet fuels it. Marquette cannot control what folks choose to tweet. Not one was from the University. There is only so much you can do. Give me a break.

I don't believe we know this.

Credible journalists from WISN did say he was coming to MU.  The plane trip stuff, that was known by many people yesterday.  Just too much stuff.  I don't disagree that it is harder than ever, but it can be done.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 08:26:42 PM »
Shouldn't have MU known about Smart's reputation for playing this game and being an attention whore and made sure that things didn't play out this way?

Smart is the girl that flirts with everyone and makes every guy drool thinking they have a shot.

mechaghidorah

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 08:27:47 PM »
Hire Howland and no harm done here. We'll all forget about this and get excited about having a premiere coach in the country.

I'm afraid MU's reputation has been damaged nationally and that will matter to guys like Hill and any other potential recruits.

They may still get a really good X's and O's guy in Howland but I don't see the recruiting not taking a gigantic hit.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 08:31:13 PM »

Yep.  What happened today didn't surprise me one bit.  Smart has done this before.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 08:34:37 PM »
I'm afraid MU's reputation has been damaged nationally and that will matter to guys like Hill and any other potential recruits.

They may still get a really good X's and O's guy in Howland but I don't see the recruiting not taking a gigantic hit.

Howland can recruit.  Very well.  He would fare far better than VCU's "hang a banner" #15 class.

Of course.  Trust no one.  Instead, we get "done deal", then proceeded to believe naming a President would meet demands, terribly unfair to Dr. Lovell to have to be associated with this blunder.