[Today at 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:31:50 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[Today at 10:56:27 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by Herman Cain
[June 07, 2024, 09:51:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Most Likely already started, but needed more posts, ND loses to Navy in football  (Read 4424 times)

Mayor McCheese

• All American
I am finally collecting my thoughts about this game, and the fact that I have lived for 22 years, and if you double that, I still wouldn't have seen ND lose to Navy, ohhhh Charlie Weis, gosh I love watching anything created by Bill Belicheck fail.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Desert_Eagle

• Starter
The best part of it is now we have the longest win streak against a single team in NCAA sports. It used to be ND over Navy, but now it's us over UWM.
"Marquette is bigger than any one person. Marquette is Marquette."

spartan3186

• All American
knock on wood

ecompt

• All American
Tyrone Willingham must be laughing his butt off. He also must be wondering what it will take to get Weis fired. Talk about a double standard.

Norm

• All American
ecompt, at this point in their respective 3 years at ND, Weis and Ty essentially have the same record. It would probably take a repeat of this season next year to get Weis fired. Why? He took ND to BCS bowls the previous two seasons and has dramatically upgraded ND's recruiting. Ty's last two recruiting classes were ranked #32 and #40 in the country, the two worst recruiting classes for ND since people have been keeping track and ranking recruting efforts. Weis' first 2 classes were both ranked #8 and this year he has the #1 recruiting class in the country. So, that alone will buy him another year. Plus, I don't think Ty is laughing too much at Washington, where he has one more win than ND this year, and has yet to reach double digits in victories combined in his 3 years at UW.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
I was at the game on Saturday and loved every second of it.  I've never seen a more delusional fan base.....hilarious.  Marquette has as many bowl game victories as ND over the last 14 years.

As far as the Weis/Willingham comparisons go....Willingham had 1 more victory at this point (34 games) into his ND coaching career and inherited a program in far worse condition...Davie left the cupboard pretty bare.

Weis inherited Walker, Quinn, Zbikowski, Samardzjia, Harris, etc. (Willingham recruits)....the heart and soul that took them to those BCS games...we'll see what his players can do over the next year or so....so far I'd say not so good.  They're lucky UCLA had QB issues otherwise they'd still be searching for that 1st win.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 11:08:05 AM by MarquetteFan94 »

Mayor McCheese

• All American
ecompt, at this point in their respective 3 years at ND, Weis and Ty essentially have the same record. It would probably take a repeat of this season next year to get Weis fired. Why? He took ND to BCS bowls the previous two seasons and has dramatically upgraded ND's recruiting. Ty's last two recruiting classes were ranked #32 and #40 in the country, the two worst recruiting classes for ND since people have been keeping track and ranking recruting efforts. Weis' first 2 classes were both ranked #8 and this year he has the #1 recruiting class in the country. So, that alone will buy him another year. Plus, I don't think Ty is laughing too much at Washington, where he has one more win than ND this year, and has yet to reach double digits in victories combined in his 3 years at UW.

Weis took them to 2 BCS bowl games with Willingham players, and got just piss pounded in both games, Weis has had high recruiting classes with not much luck this year, his recruiting classes are the juniors, sophs and frosh, the bulk of his players.  Who cares what they are ranked, all depends how they play and how they are coached, which apparently is terrible... easy to win with Quinn and Co.(Willingham).
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

MUinCO

• Starter
Also, keep in mind that ND boosters/alums completely submarined Willingham's final recruiting class.  Circulating a jointly signed letter voicing their displeasure with the coach does wonders with recruiting.  Then they hired a guy that ended up working the superbowl...dismal recruiting class #2.  While the latter was more a function of bad luck, ND and it's influential alumni definitely created this mess.

Nevertheless, what they should be more concerned with is that their very expensive, offensive super genius and uber coach, is now getting out-coached!  A smaller, slower, less talented, Navy squad with zero players over 300lbs beat a team that has clearly given up.  Weis' inability to motivate his players and coach his team to victory over clearly less talented teams should be making the guy that came up with his contract extension sick to his stomach right now.

I can tell you that here in Colorado Springs, Air Force can smell the blood in the water.

Though none of this is as disturbing as coming across ND message boards confused as to why Marquette basketball fans behave like drunk asses in their arena, but support ND football.  What?!  Unless you have family that went to ND or have a degree from there in addition to your MU one...no self respecting MU alumni should be rooting for ND.  I recommend sticking to your home state football squad or better yet, a fine Jesuit institution like BC. ;D

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Though none of this is as disturbing as coming across ND message boards confused as to why Marquette basketball fans behave like drunk asses in their arena.

Speaking of drunken asses, a personal favorite from the trip to ND last year was the "I Closed Wolskis" bumper sticker on an overhead seating section sign.  :D

MUinCO

• Starter
Try to get Real Chili up there next.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Nevertheless, what they should be more concerned with is that their very expensive, offensive super genius and uber coach, is now getting out-coached!  A smaller, slower, less talented, Navy squad with zero players over 300lbs beat a team that has clearly given up.  Weis' inability to motivate his players and coach his team to victory over clearly less talented teams should be making the guy that came up with his contract extension sick to his stomach right now.

Outcoached after having a bye-week to prepare for friggin Navy.

Comical.  heheheh

jutaw22mu

• All American
Weis is trying to get by with the remaining Ty players (fifth year seniors, seniors).  That is probably the biggest problem.  Also the junior class is pretty weak because Charlie couldnt join the team till after the superbowl, so that class is mostly Willingham-signed players as well. 

The best thing Charlie can do is not take back any fifth year seniors and tell all the remaining Willingham guys (with the exception of Crum) that their careers at ND are over and they will not see any time next year.  Of course no coach has the guts to tell that to players who have been there for so long, but that is what has to happen.  If Charlie does that, then he will be winning primarily with his players and ND doesnt have to hear anything more about Willingham.

The best players on the ND team are all freshmen and sophomores.  Their best wide receivers are freshmen, their best linebackers are freshmen, their best cornerback is a freshman who was injured before the season even started and is therefore redshirting.  I'm sick of hearing about how bad ND is.  Yes, they are bad.  Yes Weis is trying to be loyal to the guys who have been in the program.  Maybe its time to break that loyalty.  Next year they bring in the #1 ranked class which primarily consists of a lot of defensive players.  ND will be much much better next year, and Weis will again be given the credit that is due.

To me it looks like the guys in a position of leadership (upperclassmen) are not doing much to motivate the team.  They're making their own beds for the coming years. 

Finally, both teams played well offensively Saturday.  At the end, Navy wanted it more.  I'm glad for them, they deserved to win.

MUinCO

• Starter
I'm sick of hearing about how bad ND is.  Yes, they are bad.  

Ummm, I don't get sick of hearing about how bad ND is.  Everyone loves a train wreck...except ND fans maybe.

No heart on that team...none.  GO Air Force!

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Weis is trying to get by with the remaining Ty players (fifth year seniors, seniors).  That is probably the biggest problem.

Of course, Weis also won 18 games in his first two years in South Bend and landed in a pair of BCS bowls - - -with "remaining Ty players"

Regardless, it'll take time to right the ship there.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
I'm sick of hearing about how bad ND is.  Yes, they are bad.   

Ummm, I don't get sick of hearing about how bad ND is.  Everyone loves a train wreck...except ND fans maybe.

No heart on that team...none.  GO Air Force!

Now, if ND loses against AF (who Navy beat already), then they should just stop.  Be like their Big East Catholic brethren and drop the football program all together and just turn them into a club team.

GO NAVY!

MUinCO

• Starter
In all seriousness, Weis has what, a #1 (rivals) recruiting class coming in?  Their ship will be just fine in 2 years or less.

Now, if ND loses against AF (who Navy beat already), then they should just stop.  Be like their Big East Catholic brethren and drop the football program all together and just turn them into a club team.

GO NAVY!

Then what in the hell would they do with all that money?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 01:45:22 PM by MUinCO »

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload

Might as well.  Apparently they are all basketball fans now anyway.   :D

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Shouldn't they now change their famous sign to:

"Try to play like a champion today"?
SS Marquette

WashDCWarrior

• All American
I did see an ND "Drink Like a Champion Today" shirt at an Okoberfest this year.  Hate ND, but not a bad shirt.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
Shouldn't they now change their famous sign to:

"Try to play like a champion today"?

I like that....or

"Let's Not Embarrass Ourselves Today"

or

"For the love of God, Can We Win a Home Game Today?"

or

"We May Not Have the Talent to Win Today"

or

"Let's See What Happens"

or

"Screw This"

muarmy81

• All American

Be like their Big East Catholic brethren and drop the football program all together and just turn them into a club team.

What would NBC show on Saturday then?

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American

Be like their Big East Catholic brethren and drop the football program all together and just turn them into a club team.

What would NBC show on Saturday then?

Man, I don't know...The Office?  Might as well since ND's a big joke

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
I am finally collecting my thoughts about this game, and the fact that I have lived for 22 years, and if you double that, I still wouldn't have seen ND lose to Navy, ohhhh Charlie Weis, gosh I love watching anything created by Bill Belicheck fail.

Groundhog day

;D

LON

• All American
Their best wide receivers are freshmen

Last I checked Floyd and Tate were not freshman.

Fullodds

• All American
This is Weis' 5th year at ND.  Forget about Ty's players or Charlie needing more time to recruit.  These are his players and they suck.  If Clausen goes pro, next year will be very interesting for whomever is coaching ND.  Let's see if UCONN and/or Stanford can put a hurt on ND before they hit the motorcity bowl.