[Today at 12:37:36 PM]

Ben Gold's summer by MUbiz
[Today at 09:44:26 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[June 17, 2024, 08:36:32 PM]

Miletic Commits by Pakuni
[June 17, 2024, 04:37:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I just hope...  (Read 7878 times)

buckchuckler

• All American
I just hope...
« on: March 25, 2014, 11:28:03 AM »
We haven't pissed in howlands Cheerios. 

JakeBarnes

• All American
Re: I just hope...
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 11:28:41 AM »
Dude prefers raisin bran anyways.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 11:28:48 AM »
It seems like we have. At this point, I'd much, MUCH rather have him locked down than all this Shaka nonsense.

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 11:30:51 AM »
This is what I've been thinking since everything went sideways last night. Howland's a great hire, and if he ends up being the guy shouldn't even be looked at as a "second choice."

Now if in all this, he got punted from the process, we're into tier two (especially if Marshall's not a candidate).

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 11:30:59 AM »
We really do not know what is going on. MU could be talking more to Howland than they are Shaka. However, I am worried that we will miss out on Howland, while we are dinking around with other less likely options.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 11:31:20 AM »
agreed...if shaka isn't saying he's coming (and it doesn't sound like he is), howland should be announced ASAP.  

anyone see a tweet from any of shaka's recruits or coaches stating that he called them and told them he'd be back next year?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 11:37:13 AM »
It seems like we have. At this point, I'd much, MUCH rather have him locked down than all this Shaka nonsense.

Give me a break.
He's not going to run away like a spoiled kid because MU had the gall to consider other coaches. If MU offers and he turns it down, it'll be because he doesn't want the job, not because his feelings are hurt.

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 11:40:45 AM »
We really do not know what is going on. MU could be talking more to Howland than they are Shaka. However, I am worried that we will miss out on Howland, while we are dinking around with other less likely options.

MU hasn't said a thing other than they have contacted Howland. MU may have just contacted Smart's agent but we don't know for sure.  Basically, other than talking to Howland, the rest of this is ALL speculation.  Again, for all we know, Howland is the #1 guy, always has been, and the people who really know the details are laughing on the inside about all the media hype over the last 24 hours.

Keep something in mind...MU is always thorough on these things and it has been ONE day since MU could contact coaches in the NCAA tournament that they wanted to talk to (and contacting others just to check options would be the thorough thing to do).  This of course assumes MU didn't call a coach within 24 hours of a tournament loss - and I think MU is classy enough to hold off on doing that.

So in reality, we have had a day to consider and explore options.  This, in my opinion, is not a panic-inducing period of time to wait.  

Let's all step back from the edge of the cliff and take a deep breath or two.  

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 11:44:30 AM »
I like the fact that MU is doing a thorough job on this next hire. I am confident that we will be thrilled with whomever we sign.
That's why we shouldn't try this at home. Professionals at work.

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 11:48:27 AM »
I like the fact that MU is doing a thorough job on this next hire. I am confident that we will be thrilled with whomever we sign.

good post

I remember the last time we hired a coach people were upset with the "process"  So this is definitely a 180 from that.   The problem is the whole "done deal" thing and how the information got to these amateur at best wannabe journalists.  That alone created a negative cloud around Milwaukee and Marquette

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 11:50:31 AM »
Give me a break.
He's not going to run away like a spoiled kid because MU had the gall to consider other coaches. If MU offers and he turns it down, it'll be because he doesn't want the job, not because his feelings are hurt.

Howland strikes me as much more executive than that, so I agree with you.

However, to my knowledge, the Wake job is still available.  That worries me.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 11:51:04 AM »

Have you seen this board the last two days?
I am confident that MU will hire the best coach they can; and I am confident a vocal minority will NOT be thrilled, no matter who the choice is.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 12:07:24 PM »
Give me a break.
Give you a break? It was reported he took his name out of consideration. Given everything else that was reported yesterday, how can we possibly know that it's not true?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 12:10:56 PM »
Give you a break? It was reported he took his name out of consideration. Given everything else that was reported yesterday, how can we possibly know that it's not true?

Huh? Given everything that happened yesterday, how could you take any rumor you see on Twitter seriously?

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 12:14:09 PM »
This is why message boards suck - reported where?   by one person on twitter (who appears to be an ex-WVU football player.

But it "has been reported"    message boards suck, twitter sucks - but they are the medium of of future - why do any homework, just say any crap you want...

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 12:15:30 PM »
Huh? Given everything that happened yesterday, how could you take any rumor you see on Twitter seriously?

How can you not? What have you seen that says Howland is still interested? Everything has been about MU wanting Shaka and that Howland's price was too high. Seems like there's no much chance for him at MU so why would he keep hanging around hoping to be our sloppy seconds?

I have no idea what to believe, but I also have no reason not to believe he's moved on at this point. If you know something else, please share it with us all. I'd love to have the guy, I just don't think it's going to happen at this point.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 12:16:29 PM »
posted this in another thread:

I have zero direct knowledge of whats going on, but I'd say our ability to provide resources to a coach puts us in a position to take our time a little more, I'd guess.

If you're Howland, you'd be wise to wait and see if you can land MU vs. Wake. Could mean $1m per year difference not to mention Assistants salary, budget, etc.

This allows us to potentlly be a bit more deliberate in our search and not rushed.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 12:17:41 PM »
This is why message boards suck - reported where?   by one person on twitter (who appears to be an ex-WVU football player.

But it "has been reported"    message boards suck, twitter sucks - but they are the medium of of future - why do any homework, just say any crap you want...

Sources, dude. Sources.

SWARM!

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 12:18:02 PM »
SS is probably gonna back out.

Better start singing sweet songs to Howalnd STAT

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 12:19:16 PM »
SS is probably gonna back out.

Better start singing sweet songs to Howalnd STAT

Add another million to the last offer.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 12:20:45 PM »
MU hasn't said a thing other than they have contacted Howland. MU may have just contacted Smart's agent but we don't know for sure.  Basically, other than talking to Howland, the rest of this is ALL speculation.  Again, for all we know, Howland is the #1 guy, always has been, and the people who really know the details are laughing on the inside about all the media hype over the last 24 hours.

Keep something in mind...MU is always thorough on these things and it has been ONE day since MU could contact coaches in the NCAA tournament that they wanted to talk to (and contacting others just to check options would be the thorough thing to do).  This of course assumes MU didn't call a coach within 24 hours of a tournament loss - and I think MU is classy enough to hold off on doing that.

So in reality, we have had a day to consider and explore options.  This, in my opinion, is not a panic-inducing period of time to wait.  

Let's all step back from the edge of the cliff and take a deep breath or two.  

The problem with this is the reality of the situation. You have an "A" candidate in Howland who is available to talk to anyone right now. Could've had him locked up basically and done some due diligence kicking-the-tires and weighing pros/cons/risks of other current coaches.

Why MU would want to gamble with losing an "A" candidate in Howland at the expense of gaining an "A" or "A+" candidate in Shaka...doesn't make sense. After those two are gone, the drop off of probable coaches with the success levels they have is much, much steeper. At some point, you take what's in the hand open to you instead of grabbing at the other closed hand that you HOPE is something better.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 12:21:43 PM »
I JUST HOPE IT'S SOMEONE WHO CAN RECRUIT---BIG TIME, AND WILL BRING STABILITY TO OUR PROGRAM.

WE NEED THIS BECAUSE BB IS OUR BIGGEST COMPETITIVE SPORT. WE DON'T NEED STEPPING STONE

COACHES. SUGGESTIONS---- SMART, HOWLAND MARSHALL OR DIXON. TWO WISHES--JOHNNY DAWKINS OR

TONY BENNETT.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2014, 12:24:35 PM »
The problem with this is the reality of the situation. You have an "A" candidate in Howland who is available to talk to anyone right now. Could've had him locked up basically and done some due diligence kicking-the-tires and weighing pros/cons/risks of other current coaches.

Don't be so sure that this hasn't been going on all this time. Nobody knows for sure what's going on behind closed doors right now except the people in that room.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2014, 12:25:51 PM »

Why MU would want to gamble with losing an "A" candidate in Howland at the expense of gaining an "A" or "A+" candidate in Shaka...doesn't make sense. After those two are gone, the drop off of probable coaches with the success levels they have is much, much steeper. At some point, you take what's in the hand open to you instead of grabbing at the other closed hand that you HOPE is something better.

Agreed - however we are BY FAR the highest paying job out there. Howland also has less bargaining power as he is not currently employed.

I think the approach of SS first is the right one, but I agree my heart would prefer it if we just pulled the trigger sooner rather than later and we can get on with being excited about our new coach!
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2014, 12:27:30 PM »
Not to contradict myself, but wonder what the incremental value of Smart over Howland really is?

For me all I can come up with is that it would create a press tidal wave. MU will have signed the guy nobody else could get.

For actual performance I honestly think the nod goes to Howland for demonstrating his success already at a large BBall school.

Thrilled with either