Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Official List of Scoopers' Suggestions for the Next Head Coach of Marquette  (Read 17841 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Shaka: No chance
Howland: Good fit
Masiello: Will bolt
Marshall: Would be great, but probably no chance. He will wait for a blueblood.

Marshall too sees the writing on the wall: how good can Wichita State really get?
- 4 seniors (3 starters including Anthony)
- the cupboard is full for the next guy (10 frosh and soph on the roster)

Stevens saw it too at Butler. And he bailed despite the Butler community loving him so much.
SS Marquette

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Tom Crean

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
Ridiculous that Bo Ryan discipleship is a con.  He is a great coach.  Tony Bennett has been good everywhere he's been and fast.  He won't come here but find it comical that being under Bo Ryan is a con.  If the style wins, then who cares. 

dgies9156

• All American
#2 Howland. One thing that troubles me about him: he threw his name out there for the job. That's a bit desperate with his pedigree.

Not when there's $2.5 million reasons to ask.

Not to mention a full arena, strong community support, a good TV contract and an equally strong cadre of remaining talent.

You make DAMN sure They know you are interested!!!!!!!!

Goatherder

• Starter
I forgot Harvard was a blue blood and Amaker wouldn't deign to even consider an offer from Marquette. Not sure how you can so conclusively write off Amaker. Amaker isn't there for the academics, trust me.

He is there more for the academics than you think.  His wife teaches there.  Marquette is a fine school, but it is hard to compare a faculty position here with one at Harvard.

tower912

• All American
1.  Howland.   If you want to win the press conference and understand that he is only a medium term solution.   Of course, what is a long term solution anymore?
2.   Wardle.   If you are willing to lose more in the short term but really want to plan for 10 years.  

Shaka/Marshall/Amaker ain't coming.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

77ncaachamps

• All American
Not when there's $2.5 million reasons to ask.

Not to mention a full arena, strong community support, a good TV contract and an equally strong cadre of remaining talent.

You make DAMN sure They know you are interested!!!!!!!!

I know. But with your pedigree, you'd think they would reach out to you.

This isn't Wardle or FGCU coach we're talking about here!

He was West Coast ties and I don't think it'll suit him well to be here.
If a Pac-12 job opens up, he may just bite.
SS Marquette

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
I definitely don't want Amaker.  He is good in his current environment, but hasn't been good at high majors as the original post said.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
1.  Howland.   he is only a medium term solution.  

He would only be here 2 years?? Frankly, time paradigms are meaningless in that business

Death on call

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
He was West Coast ties and I don't think it'll suit him well to be here.
If a Pac-12 job opens up, he may just bite.

Well he had great success at Pitt too so...

LloydMooresLegs

Thanks for doing this TAMU.  Agree with you Tower.

Glad I was unable to hit the board yesterday afternoon/last night.  

Buzz served MU well.  No regrets.  Hoping for a third consecutive effective hire.  Concerned about the process given no president, no AD.  I hope the board empowers Cords and that there is no dilly dallying while the hiring process for the president and the ad continues.

classof70

• Team Captain
I forgot Harvard was a blue blood and Amaker wouldn't deign to even consider an offer from Marquette. Not sure how you can so conclusively write off Amaker. Amaker isn't there for the academics, trust me.

Don't take it so personally.  I love MU too.   I just don't see him leaving for MU.  He's waiting for some other opening.  But I do trust you.   ;)

Atticus

• All American
I like Hopkins for a few years but the Syracuse beat writer isn't buying it.

Brent Axe‏@BrentAxeMedia4 mins
Here is the link. http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=jeff-goodman&id=3439&src=desktop… I'd be floored if Hopkins considered that gig.

Brent Axe‏@BrentAxeMedia3 mins
I think Hopkins is just one of those go-to names now when jobs open. It's a credit to him and his reputation, but he ain't taking that job

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Nominee for most idiotic logic yet presented on the topic of next head coach...Shaka not a good fit??  Because he's a "superstar?"  We've got alums who think buying tickets entitles them to something...and that's unique to Marquette??  You don't think boosters and other high dollar season ticket buyers at other high major programs feel entitled to some perks the general public may not be entitled to?  What planet do you live on?
Marquette's alumni base is a big reason we can't keep coaches. Many of them are yokels, yet believe they are power brokers. Believe what you want.

warriorchick

• All American
Marquette's alumni base is a big reason we can't keep coaches. Many of them are yokels, yet believe they are power brokers. Believe what you want.

You have obviously never followed SEC football.
Have some patience, FFS.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
I think the school should aim high and reach for the stars.  Worst case is the candidates say no.

MarquetteDano

• All American
Kevin Stallings

Downside of Stallings is that he has a tremendous amount of transfers.  I think he is the opposite of a player's coach.  I think we would get a mass exodus of our current players if he was hired.

real chili 83

• All American
Why not put Mark Few on the list.

77ncaachamps

• All American
I nominate Riley Crean as an assistant.

He's an aspiring basketball coach, you know.

https://twitter.com/riley_crean343
SS Marquette

Earl Tatum

• All American
Since everyone has opinions--I would lay the line out with everything I have for
1.Tim Miles - Very Impressed. No matter what happened in NCAA T. Got Jobbed.
2. Brad Stevens- Would take him in a heartbeat
3.Ben Howland- Yes, he can recruit. Might be our best bet
4. Dwayne Stephens - Mich. St. Assistant
My opinions only.

marquette09

• All American
#1 Shaka. I hope he looks at this place as a destination. Though, with Buzz's comments, I think it's telling about the landscape that is college sports and what people think of the Big East.

#2 Howland. Just like the hire as a continuity one: name recognition, associated with pro players, experienced, etc. Selfishly, it bridges a chasm and helps MU position itself for the next hire so they're not caught with their pants down. However, Howland may be the next one to catch MU with its pants down IF he succeeds at MU. One thing that troubles me about him: he threw his name out there for the job. That's a bit desperate with his pedigree.

#3 Masiello. He won't be here for the long haul. Much like the knock on Hopkins, when Pitino's job is up, he may just bolt.

#4 Marshall. As a coach for a 35 and counting wins team, he should be towards the top. But I think there's a feeling he may stay or go to a program in a more-exposed conference. Marquette would be a nice fit: basketball crazy, have the resources, his program would be for all to see...

I had hoped Buzz would be like Mark Few: beloved by his community at a basketball-only school; staying relevant through recruiting and a successful program; weathering changes in the league and landscape of Division 1 basketball.

If we can wait for Wichita to lose, I actually think this may be a good gig for Marshall.  If I remember correctly, he has a heart condition, and doesn't want the stress of a big time job (i.e. a blueblood).  The Marquette job would certainly be more stressful than Wichita, but not to the extent of a blueblood.  

The level of attention and media exposure of Milwaukee, and the Big East, may be perfect for him. Not too little attention, not too much attention.  

The dude can flat out coach.  I don't know how well he can recruit, but he has been able to get some really good players to Wichita.  

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Wisco

• Starter
I don't think Shaka would be a good fit. He's a superstar and I'm not sure that fits the culture around Marquette. Look, I love Marquette and it's basketball program, but we've got some alums who think buying tickets entitles them to something. It's actually kind of a weird environment, if you ask me. I actually believe it's unique to Milwaukee.

If I were Shaka Smart I'd stay right where I am.

There's some truth to this. We don't have pro sports down here. Shaka runs this town. I think he likes it that way (not to say that he is a megalomaniac or anything like that...just enjoys his level of sway within the university).

As you alluded to, our alumni/boosters don't have quite the same position of power as Marquette's. Not sure how that affects things exactly but the culture is certainly different.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 12:29:10 PM by Wisco »

tower912

• All American
He would only be here 2 years?? Frankly, time paradigms are meaningless in that business

He is 57.   I just don't see him being a 10 year solution.    

I think he ultimately gets it.    With the current lack of president and AD he is the best choice.   
1.   He wins the press conference.    Solid history, solid character.
2.   He's a pro.   
3.   When the new AD and new President in place, with a solid, low maintenance choice as coach already in place, they can focus on other things.
4.   Because he is 57, in 5 years, when the Big East wants to expand, when the new pres/AD are comfortable, they can start planning his succession.   
With all of the other uncertainty, I don't see an untested hire, a waiting until the end of the tournament hire.   But hey, I've been wrong before. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 01:01:28 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

77ncaachamps

• All American
Gregg Marshall...just don't see it

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/warning-schools-interested-gregg-marshall-won-t-easy-145403691--ncaab.html

"There is value in being loved. There's value in walking down the street and people going, 'There's our coach. He's a great coach.' I don't want my children having to go to school and getting ridiculed with all the crazy stuff people say. That's not worth an extra $200,000 or $400,000 to me. My kids will have bragging rights at Wichita schools."

And when he fails to go back to the dance next year?
And when he struggles to compete for the regular season tournament?

This is Buzz-speak from 2010.
SS Marquette

feedback