Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dayton  (Read 22022 times)

tower912

• All American
Dayton
« on: March 18, 2014, 08:43:18 AM »
My sister, her husband, and many of their friends, whom I also socialize with at least once a year, are Flyer fans.   I have a spectacular number of e-mails from them this week.    And historically, they aren't even particularly obnoxious.    But Dayton is in and MU isn't, so.......     One of these friends is a marine biology professor at Coastal Carolina.   She is doubly enjoying it.    Of course, she allowed my family to crash at her house in Myrtle Beach last spring break, so I sort of have to take it with a gritted teeth smile. 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 08:46:10 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Benny B

• All American
Re: Dayton
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 08:49:03 AM »
Do they all drive Chevy Cavaliers?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 08:49:47 AM »
Dayton people are right up there with people named Greg.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 08:49:53 AM »
Tell them all to drink bleach while cruising in their '92 Cavaliers.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 08:53:11 AM »
Dayton people are right up there with people named Greg.

Oddly enough, my B-I-L is named Greg.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 09:01:07 AM »
Perfect

mugoose

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 09:01:58 AM »
DePaul alum are like little siblings that cling on...always around. often annoying. never respected.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 09:22:46 AM »
You're still allowed to tell them ABD.

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 10:46:08 AM »
My sister, her husband, and many of their friends, whom I also socialize with at least once a year, are Flyer fans.   I have a spectacular number of e-mails from them this week.    And historically, they aren't even particularly obnoxious.    But Dayton is in and MU isn't, so.......     One of these friends is a marine biology professor at Coastal Carolina.   She is doubly enjoying it.    Of course, she allowed my family to crash at her house in Myrtle Beach last spring break, so I sort of have to take it with a gritted teeth smile. 
No one cares. Sounds like a personal issue.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 10:59:22 AM »
Well, maybe they can match their tournament wins since 1990 with a win over OSU.  Good luck to them. 

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 11:35:31 AM »
It's amazing how little respect Dayton gets by some of you. Dayton is in the tournament and Marquette didn't even make the tournament or even the NIT. For this year at least, Dayton shines much more brightly than Marquette.

This season was also critical for Dayton's resume for joining the new Big East.

Congrats to Dayton. I'm very impressed by them and the whole A10 this year.
We Are Marquette

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 11:37:57 AM »
It's amazing how little respect Dayton gets by some of you. Dayton is in the tournament and Marquette didn't even make the tournament or even the NIT. For this year at least, Dayton shines much more brightly than Marquette.

Yup.  The A-10 played good ball this year.   If the Big East is looking to expand in a few years, and Dayton plays at the level they did this year, it will be difficult to keep them out.   

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 11:46:43 AM »

Are you trolling? They've won 1 NCAA tourney game in the last 25 years, including getting bounced by a 13 in their best year when they were a 4 seed in 2003.  The A-10 had a good year for sure, but Dayton still finished 6th and the BE was a better conference by the metrics.  Congrats to them, but lets not get ridiculous.

Might as well invite GW or St Joes if we're talking resumes from the A-10 this season.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 11:55:25 AM »
Are you trolling? They've won 1 NCAA tourney game in the last 25 years, including getting bounced by a 13 in their best year when they were a 4 seed in 2003.  The A-10 had a good year for sure, but Dayton still finished 6th and the BE was a better conference by the metrics.  Congrats to them, but lets not get ridiculous.

Might as well invite GW or St Joes if we're talking resumes from the A-10 this season.

We should be careful with this kind of stuff, from 1978 to 2002 (24 years), Marquette won five NCAA tournament games.   If you pare it down to a 20 year period we won 3. 

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 11:57:48 AM »
No one cares. Sounds like a personal issue.

This was the only post that made this thread worth the read. Otherwise I can't believe I wasted my time on this.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 12:11:22 PM »
We should be careful with this kind of stuff, from 1978 to 2002 (24 years), Marquette won five NCAA tournament games.   If you pare it down to a 20 year period we won 3. 

I understand, but its not like we're comparing recent success to a sleeping giant or a great program with a down period, Marquette's worst period as a program still eclipses that.  There were 10 appearances and 5 wins in that 24 year period compared to 6 and 1 for Dayton.  And they are an 11, not like they had a gang buster mid major year and gained a top 5 seed.

My point was there wasn't much need to be "surprised" at the lack of respect for Dayton, especially given their tone during the conference realignments.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 12:20:36 PM »
I just looked at Dayton's tournament history...yikes.  I just assumed they've had more success than that.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 01:34:53 PM »

I was referring solely to Dayton's success this year. It's going to be hilarious when they join the NBE. Some of you are going to lose your Shiite.
We Are Marquette

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 02:12:52 PM »
Good for them, enjoy it.  Last year Marquette made the elite 8 and Kentucky was in the NIT.  Doesn't make us a better program.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 02:56:57 PM »
I was referring solely to Dayton's success this year. It's going to be hilarious when they join the NBE. Some of you are going to lose your Shiite.

Agreed. I'd recommend everyone start preparing themselves. Not sure when, but chances are very likely it will happen.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 03:02:45 PM »
Agreed. I'd recommend everyone start preparing themselves. Not sure when, but chances are very likely it will happen.

I don't know.  Wouldn't X be vehemently opposed?  And if SLU has a lock on the 11th spot, I doubt Georgetown would be happy with Dayton, as they would be yet another Midwestern team [I recall rumors that they a) didn't like Creighton and b) were lobbying for Richmond for East/West balance]

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2014, 03:03:49 PM »

Well if we're comparing dry spells, MU's 5 wins is still > Dayton's 1 win. 

And to do apples-to-apples here, this wuold assume MU would be upgrading leagues directly after that dry spell (2002)... that would be more comparable to the position which Dayton is in today.  If the Flyers push to a Final Four within 4 seasons, they'd then be in a similar spot to MU's jump to the Big East in 2006.

I'm not arguing for or against Dayton to join, but since the dry spells were brought up, let's use the same lens.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2014, 03:10:45 PM »

Marquette, Xavier, and Georgetown would never let this happen. Dayton adds nothing for us. There are almost a dozen other better candidates than Dayton.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2014, 03:12:54 PM »
Of all the things that would cause me to lose my shiite, the decision of whether to add Richmond or Dayton is not one of them.  However I might lose my shiite if we added 2 teams and one of them was not SLU.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2014, 03:14:17 PM »
ABD