Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: "It could get a lot worse..."  (Read 8182 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: "It could get a lot worse..."
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2014, 01:20:49 PM »
While the danger signs were there at the time our record still had us in position where a bid was not at all out of the question.  Buzz seemed to double down on more experience instead of untested options.  I don't know what else Buzz was seeing and won't fault him for that.  In hindsight, it was the wrong move and we are paying and will pay a price for that.  I hope and pray that at the very least we have learned that IF Derrick starts next year and then when we have trouble that we have other options available, and are not hesitant to use those other options.

I don't want to lay everything on Derrick, as there are many good thoughts as to what went wrong, and they all probably have some truth to them, but unless there is a miraculous amount of improvement over the summer, any questions about what we have and whether that is enough for this team to be where we think they should be have been answered. 

+1
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2014, 01:23:14 PM »
While the danger signs were there at the time our record still had us in position where a bid was not at all out of the question.  Buzz seemed to double down on more experience instead of untested options.  I don't know what else Buzz was seeing and won't fault him for that.  In hindsight, it was the wrong move and we are paying and will pay a price for that.  I hope and pray that at the very least we have learned that IF Derrick starts next year and then when we have trouble that we have other options available, and are not hesitant to use those other options.

Agree Buzz doubled down on experience mid-way through season, when it seemed he just as easily could have gone the other direction.  And in my view, due to the lack of quality nonconference wins, as well as ugly wins against Southern and UNH...then Butler....that all should have pointed toward going the other direction.

Oh well, its over...but just really sad....as I feel this team had true Sweet 16 level talent.  Most regrettably, Davante's senior year was basically wasted...and we didn't get any of the freshman other than perhaps Burton, good, solid experience or data points as to what their potential truly was at this level..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

tower912

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2014, 02:59:55 PM »
Buzz went with what he had done in prior years to get teams that were spinning their wheels to heat up down the stretch.   He shortened his rotation and went with experience.   He played to win each game this year and not to prepare for next season.    The upperclassmen didn't perform like he expected.   He stuck with what had previously been a winning formula and didn't work with this team.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback