[June 08, 2024, 07:42:23 PM]

Incoming freshmen by MuMark
[June 08, 2024, 07:03:51 PM]

And The New...... by Tyler COLEk
[June 08, 2024, 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[June 08, 2024, 11:31:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Commencement speaker announced  (Read 15415 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: MU Commencement speaker announced
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2014, 09:03:34 AM »
There was accomplishments in W's administration?

IIRC there was a certain mission that was accomplished, according to a banner that was hung. TC would be proud.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:07:09 AM by Bleuteaux »

Milwarriorkee

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2014, 09:57:35 AM »
A question for those who have graduated recently or are graduating this year.    Do they still have a separate graduation ceremony for all of the different colleges where the actual diplomas are given out?  Where there is another student speaker and/or commencement speaker?

In 2004, the law school had its own separate ceremony at the Midwest express center and had a State Supreme Court justice speak.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2014, 10:00:26 AM »
IIRC there was a certain mission that was accomplished, according to a banner that was hung. TC would be proud.
Lay off the political crap.  You are going to shut down a good thread.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2014, 10:05:47 AM »
Lay off the political crap.  You are going to shut down a good thread.

I thought I brought it full circle with Crean, but point taken.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2014, 10:07:07 AM »
A question for those who have graduated recently or are graduating this year.    Do they still have a separate graduation ceremony for all of the different colleges where the actual diplomas are given out?  Where there is another student speaker and/or commencement speaker?

Yeah in 2010 everyone gathered at the BC for the main student speaker, the commencement speech, and Father Wild's talk. After that we went our separate ways, the Comm school went to MATC, the Business school went to US Cellular, the Engineer's went to the Rave, etc.

Also you're correct that there were more speeches at each individual ceremony

Bring back FFP!!!

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2014, 10:09:13 AM »
Yeah in 2010 everyone gathered at the BC for the main student speaker, the commencement speech, and Father Wild's talk. After that we went our separate ways, the Comm school went to MATC, the Business school went to US Cellular, the Engineer's went to the Rave, etc.

True. At winter graduation, which is what I did, there is just one big ceremony, at the US Cellular Arena.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2014, 10:14:29 AM »

Yes this is still been done. Last year my son graduated and Cosby was a blast! In '83 we got lunch in our individual cermonies looks like they do not do that now.
In '83 we got Bob Keeshan AKA Captain Kangaroo  ;D
Goal is National Championship

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2014, 10:32:28 AM »

As of 2011, they did
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2014, 10:38:26 AM »
I love this pick.  "My Life With the Saints" is a great read and James Martin is incredibly inspirational.  Should be a great speech. 

Inspirational speaker following an uninspiring season is a good choice.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

1913Kilbourn

• Walk-On
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2014, 10:59:43 AM »
Rushin in '07 was great. Favorite quotes from his speech:

"Right now some of you are asking yourself how can I SAVE Western Civ when I slept through Western Civ?"

"On graduation day of 1988, my father gave me a set of soft-sided luggage and what he calls The Golden Handshake, a ceremonial photo-op, in which he shook my hand in front of Gesu and absolved himself of any further financial responsibility in my life. He did it with all my siblings and the message was not a subtle one: Get the hell out of here."

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2014, 11:05:16 AM »
I thought I brought it full circle with Crean, but point taken.
Although I responded to your post, this was a thread wide response.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2014, 01:49:05 PM »
C'mon you can do better than that.

Of course I can. But going hard core political gets the thread shut down and I am curious to hear about the various speakers.

One of the interesting themes emerging here is that it is not the distinction of a speaker in his chosen field of endeavor; rather, it is about bringing the requisite intuition and acumen to identify the audience's hopes, fears, dreams, and concerns in order to resonate with those emotions and offer insight.

Perhaps Secretary Chao had spent so much time on the stump that she confused the convocation with yet another rubber chicken event and felt compelled to defend a beleaguered administration. The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court should bring essential and engaging observation that demands introspection but fails to do so. But a sports writer connects with his audience in ways that scholars and politicos cannot?

Is it a function of the electronic generation wanting nothing more than sound bites packaged in neat, tidy, digestible 7 minute morsels? Or is it that the speakers are so far removed from the weltanschauung of a 22 year old audience saddled with debt and standing tremulous before a decidedly uncertain future they cannot possibly offer any relevant insight? Interesting comments.   

Death on call

tower912

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2014, 01:51:22 PM »
IIRC, the theme of Rehnquist's speech was 'Time'.    Riveting.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2014, 02:05:01 PM »
Yes this is still been done. Last year my son graduated and Cosby was a blast! In '83 we got lunch in our individual ceremonies looks like they do not do that now.
In '83 we got Bob Keeshan AKA Captain Kangaroo  ;D

Keeshan was given an honorary doctorate in 1983, but he wasn't the commencement speaker.  It was Loret Ruppe, Director of the Peace Corp. 
Ludum habemus.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2014, 02:44:43 PM »
Keeshan was given an honorary doctorate in 1983, but he wasn't the commencement speaker.  It was Loret Ruppe, Director of the Peace Corp. 
Well goes to show you I remember Keeshan and not Ruppe!!
Goal is National Championship

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2014, 04:02:07 PM »
Of course I can. But going hard core political gets the thread shut down and I am curious to hear about the various speakers.

One of the interesting themes emerging here is that it is not the distinction of a speaker in his chosen field of endeavor; rather, it is about bringing the requisite intuition and acumen to identify the audience's hopes, fears, dreams, and concerns in order to resonate with those emotions and offer insight.

Perhaps Secretary Chao had spent so much time on the stump that she confused the convocation with yet another rubber chicken event and felt compelled to defend a beleaguered administration. The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court should bring essential and engaging observation that demands introspection but fails to do so. But a sports writer connects with his audience in ways that scholars and politicos cannot?

Is it a function of the electronic generation wanting nothing more than sound bites packaged in neat, tidy, digestible 7 minute morsels? Or is it that the speakers are so far removed from the weltanschauung of a 22 year old audience saddled with debt and standing tremulous before a decidedly uncertain future they cannot possibly offer any relevant insight? Interesting comments.   

is that a penis joke?

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2014, 04:52:25 PM »
Must have been a pretty short speech  ;D

You missed the worst part - she started by talking about how much she loved Lousiville growing up.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2014, 05:17:04 PM »
The last three have been great.

My year got stuck with David McCollough....his advice to us? Read more books

Mainly the one he was releasing within weeks of his speech. As has been mentioned before, I was excited for his speech, but it wasn't very good.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2014, 05:44:16 PM »
1991 speaker was awful.  Couldn't tell you who he was.

According to the Marquette wiki:  Sociologist James Coleman.  He was awful.  Perhaps he was a great scholar, but he certainly was boring.  The conversations among the students were drowning him out.  It actually was a little embarrassing.

And, Deja vu.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.