Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DJ Newbill and Vander Blue comparison  (Read 12033 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
DJ Newbill and Vander Blue comparison
« on: March 02, 2014, 10:12:31 PM »
Hindsight is 20/20 of course...but man this team sure could have used DJ Newbill - guy is playing on marginal Penn State team and just is ballin...his numbers this year compared to Vander last year..probably are reflective of the next step up Vander would have taken, had he stayed...but man, we sure could have used Newbill...glad to see him doing well and suspect he'll be playing in the league either after this year or next...is a big, physical guard...

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=devonte-newbill&p1=vander-blue
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

CrazyEcho

• Team Captain
Re: DJ Newbill and Vander Blue comparison
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 10:15:25 PM »
I sometimes wonder (in the very few moments I think about DJ Newbill because people on this board keep bringing him up) if getting spurned by Marquette gave him the chip on his shoulder he needed to be a good/great player.  If he would have stayed here, it's possible he wouldn't have been as motivated/ etc.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 10:21:00 PM »
I still think he plays at the next level.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 10:22:11 PM »
I sometimes wonder (in the very few moments I think about DJ Newbill because people on this board keep bringing him up) if getting spurned by Marquette gave him the chip on his shoulder he needed to be a good/great player.  If he would have stayed here, it's possible he wouldn't have been as motivated/ etc.

Certainly probably didn't hurt his motivation, that's for sure....yet prior to his coming to MU there were videos uploaded here showing him doing some insane workouts....which a lot of high major prospects now do...but...think he's probably always had a good work ethic...just might have taken a tick up after MU drama..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 10:25:26 PM »
When he committed to MU, there were many posters here that thought he would not be any good. Of course they were saying the same thing about Dawson. People should forget about rankings and let the players prove or disprove themselves on the floor. Nobody thought Dawson would be playing more than JJJ at this point.

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 10:42:20 PM »
I don't think Newbill would have stayed at MU anyway. MU had a lot of guards at the time that would have been ahead of him on the depth chart. I think he was ending up at Penn State either way. Also, I think if Newbill was here one of MU's top players would not be.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 10:51:04 PM »
I don't think Newbill would have stayed at MU anyway. MU had a lot of guards at the time that would have been ahead of him on the depth chart. I think he was ending up at Penn State either way. Also, I think if Newbill was here one of MU's top players would not be.

Didn't we cut his scholarship so that we could get Jamil?  Looking at whats happening this year I'd be ok with that.  At the time I would've been upset but now...
Maigh Eo for Sam

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 10:57:22 PM »
Didn't we cut his scholarship so that we could get Jamil?  Looking at whats happening this year I'd be ok with that.  At the time I would've been upset but now...

Basically, yes...a backcourt with Newbill and Vander would have been insanely good (even last year..as Newbill had a strong year at PSU last year too.)

Glad it worked out for him...and Jamil has had some really great moments at MU too...made some huge shots in the NCAA tourney last year, and that Elite 8 run will live on for a long time.

Just too bad for Jamil he's been plagued by inconsistency this season..it is a challenging team to operate effectively as our backcourt is generally pretty overmatched game in, game out which puts added stress on Jamil/DG..

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 12:35:24 AM »
I still think he plays at the next level.

If by the "next level" you mean Niv Berkowitz, Biggie Clausen, Chris Grimm level I agree. Pretty much any D1 starter (and lots of non starters) fit that bill. If by next level you mean NBA I'd say probably not.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 01:58:31 AM »
Newbill is definitely an NBADL talent who will see some hardwood time in the L.
SS Marquette

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 06:52:49 AM »
Jake Thomas has made 60 3 - Pt shots this season.  Newbill has made 39.
Jake shoots 39% behind the arc, Newbill 34%
Jake has 41 assists to 29 TO's. Newbill has 53 assists to 61 TO's.

And to those who would have rather had Newbill over Jamil last season, I think you need to go back and look at what Jamil did for us and rethink your position.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 08:47:24 AM »
Newbill is a volume scorer on a bad team.  He's much better than I thought he would be, and can do a lot of things, but I can't see him playing at the next level.  What does he do particularly well?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 09:33:02 AM »

And to those who would have rather had Newbill over Jamil last season, I think you need to go back and look at what Jamil did for us and rethink your position.

Are you kidding me?!  Trying to make a case that Jake Thomas is a better player than Newbill??!  Wow...Newbill's numbers this year are a good bit better than Vander's from last year...so essentially what you are saying is that Jake Thomas this year is better than Vander last year?  Okay.

Newbill is a volume scorer on a bad team.  He's much better than I thought he would be, and can do a lot of things, but I can't see him playing at the next level.  What does he do particularly well?

A volume shooter?  He's done virtually everything better than Vander did last year percentage wise and output wise - shoot, rebound, get to the line....and many think it is easier to be a better player when surrounded with other high level talent.  The fact Newbill is getting it done at a better rate than Vander last year, on a team with mediocre talent in the Big 10 - which is a tough league....I'd say he's shown he does a lot well.

The Love House

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 09:46:03 AM »

Yes, Jake Thomas has more 3 pointers than Newbill this year. Big deal. Newbill has 513 points (in arguably the best conference) compared to Thomas' 231, for a difference of 282 points. Average that out over the 29 games we've played and that's a 9.82 points-per-game difference that Newbill (theoretically) could have provided. Add 9.82 points to each of our losses this year and we wind up with 6 more wins, a 23 and 6 record and sole possession of 3rd place in the Big East. We'd be talking about our seed in the opening round right now and not bitching about the lack of scoring from our starters. I understand that all of this is just speculation, but the fact is, Newbill is the kind of hard driving, high scoring guard who could have consistently put points on the board for us all year long. The lack of that kind of production from our guards is, IMO, the single biggest reason why we are on the outside looking in right now.

Somewhere 'Philly Coach' is gloating...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 09:57:43 AM »
If Newbill had matriculated, would he be here this year?

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 10:12:04 AM »
Somewhere 'Philly Coach' is gloating...

I think the situation was handled poorly, and I fault Buzz for it.  That being said, Marquette has been to two Sweet Sixteens and an Elite Eight while Newbill has never even been in the dance.

If there is any gloating it is Southern Miss fans who went to the tourney after Newbill transferred.  And they have chance of going again this year while Penn State might not even make the NIT.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 10:20:24 AM »
If Newbill had matriculated, would he be here this year?

Yes...would have been a senior...along with Vander...what could have been...think about that team along with Davante...wow!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 12:26:39 PM »
Vander scored 47 points yesterday, 35 points a few days ago.  I don't know how much D is played in the "D" League, but here you go

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0dO5jsyNTPY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/0dO5jsyNTPY</a>

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 12:34:10 PM »
Vander scored 47 points yesterday, 35 points a few days ago.  I don't know how much D is played in the "D" League, but here you go

His shot is looking a lot smoother in that video than it has in the past.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 12:38:44 PM »
It's something we'll never know. But I think the comparison should be Newbill and Jamil Wilson.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2014, 12:41:42 PM »
It's something we'll never know. But I think the comparison should be Newbill and Jamil Wilson.

I was going to say the same thing, especially since they are interlinked by the scholarship that was given.

brandx

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2014, 12:43:24 PM »

+1 - He may play in the D-League or Europe. He certainly won't get drafted. He's just the best player on a bad team.

brandx

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2014, 12:49:41 PM »
Yes...would have been a senior...along with Vander...what could have been...think about that team along with Davante...wow!

Think of what Kentucky would have been...  Anthony Davis Kidd-Gilchrist, Lamb, Jones, Teague. Would never lose a game with those guys as upperclassmen

So it's pretty meaningless to wonder "what if" when that isn't reality.

Besides, we'd still need a PG ;D

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2014, 01:28:07 PM »
Think of what Kentucky would have been...  Anthony Davis Kidd-Gilchrist, Lamb, Jones, Teague. Would never lose a game with those guys as upperclassmen

So it's pretty meaningless to wonder "what if" when that isn't reality.

Besides, we'd still need a PG ;D

Good point on needing a PG still...

The guys you reference above though were all thought to be one and done type talents, other than Lamb...Vander and certainly Newbill weren't thought of being 2 and dones.

I will make a wager with you, however, that Newbill will get drafted whether he enters this year or next..

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2014, 03:46:01 PM »
Newbill is a talent for sure. Would love to have him in a Warrior uniform. To say he is better than Blue is a misnomer in my opinion. Newbill is the best player on a crappy Penn State team. The offense has to roll through him. Vander had options and had to share the scoring with other stars.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.