[June 07, 2024, 09:44:59 PM]

2024-25 Roster by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[June 07, 2024, 08:14:24 PM]

Incoming freshmen by tower912
[June 07, 2024, 08:06:40 PM]

Ranking Big East Centers by The Equalizer
[June 07, 2024, 05:10:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Chicos, Let us Know How the Rain Works Out in S. Cal This Week  (Read 13964 times)

GOO

• All American
Chicos, Let us Know How the Rain Works Out in S. Cal This Week
« on: February 26, 2014, 10:20:10 AM »
I hope that you get a steady rain, and not just flash floods.  Looks like you have a few days of rain in the forecast.

I'm sure you know a lot on desalinization plants and the cost of water.  Is that being talked about, seriously, in LA for drinking water or is it still too expensive?  I know nothing on this topic, so it would be nice to hear your quick take.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 10:21:57 AM by GOO »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Chicos, Let us Know How the Rain Works Out in S. Cal This Week
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 04:45:47 PM »
I hope that you get a steady rain, and not just flash floods.  Looks like you have a few days of rain in the forecast.

I'm sure you know a lot on desalinization plants and the cost of water.  Is that being talked about, seriously, in LA for drinking water or is it still too expensive?  I know nothing on this topic, so it would be nice to hear your quick take.

No idea on cost of desalinization plants.  Rain is coming....watching people get all worked up for what amounts to 1" or maybe 2" is fun.  STORM WATCH 2014.  Good Lord.

Basically means I won't be mowing my front and back yard this weekend, which is fine. 

brandx

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 07:59:57 PM »
No idea on cost of desalinization plants.  Rain is coming....watching people get all worked up for what amounts to 1" or maybe 2" is fun.  STORM WATCH 2014.  Good Lord.

Basically means I won't be mowing my front and back yard this weekend, which is fine. 

Can't you guys just steal more water from Colorado?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 08:02:21 PM »
That's OK. We won't be cleanin' the pool out in The Quon this weekend either.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 08:02:59 PM »

How are lawns still growing in this massive of a drought.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 08:34:14 PM »
A desalination plant is in the works for northern San Diego Cty. When it is up and running we can sell the by product for your winter roads.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 08:48:18 PM »
How are lawns still growing in this massive of a drought.

Sprinklers, morning dew, etc.  This time of year, I only have to mow once every 2 or 3 weeks, so not too bad.

Of course if they didn't release so much of the usable water into the ocean last few years, one wonders how the drought would be this year.  Ahh...the brilliance. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 09:00:07 PM »
Truckloads of snow from the upper Midwest.    We have plenty.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 09:58:14 PM »
Sprinklers, morning dew, etc.  This time of year, I only have to mow once every 2 or 3 weeks, so not too bad.

Of course if they didn't release so much of the usable water into the ocean last few years, one wonders how the drought would be this year.  Ahh...the brilliance. 

Why are people still using sprinklers?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 12:06:05 AM »
Why are people still using sprinklers?

Because pissing on the lawn tends to make it yellow

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 08:43:18 AM »
Massive amounts of rain last night....at least a 1/2 inch.   ::)   The commute this morning will be 1.5 hours easily because these knuckleheads think the world is ending. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 11:43:53 AM »

Can you explain?  Or at least, explain the side that thought that was a good idea...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 01:12:08 PM »
Can you explain?  Or at least, explain the side that thought that was a good idea...

Its hard for me to explain a lot of things here, like why we protect a smelt fish over human beings.  So you need to understand the backdrop of the insanity that thrives here.  Because of that ruling, by a Federal judge, more than 300 Billion gallons in 2010 and 2011 alone went to the Ocean and not to farmers, etc.  That's just one part of it.  There is the issue of farmers and their run off waste (fertilizers), the fact we have millions of people living in a desert and not much rain.

Tons of finger pointing going on out here.  You have environmentalists screaming, farmers screaming, the water managers, etc, etc.  Feds screaming at state and vice versa.   It has become a political campaign issue.

For the last 10 years I've gone on my annual jet skiing trip to Central California on a lake up there that is a reservoir.  In each of the last several years the water managers there have released excess water to the river that eventually goes to the ocean.  This year, you can literally walk out to the middle of the lake and not get wet in many areas.  I saw a video of it two weeks ago and it is unbelievable.  This is a lake that is 210' at max depth, of course most of it is more like 15' to 20', but incredible. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 01:27:12 PM »
Its hard for me to explain a lot of things here, like why we protect a smelt fish over human beings.  So you need to understand the backdrop of the insanity that thrives here.  Because of that ruling, by a Federal judge, more than 300 Billion gallons in 2010 and 2011 alone went to the Ocean and not to farmers, etc.  That's just one part of it.  There is the issue of farmers and their run off waste (fertilizers), the fact we have millions of people living in a desert and not much rain.

Tons of finger pointing going on out here.  You have environmentalists screaming, farmers screaming, the water managers, etc, etc.  Feds screaming at state and vice versa.   It has become a political campaign issue.

For the last 10 years I've gone on my annual jet skiing trip to Central California on a lake up there that is a reservoir.  In each of the last several years the water managers there have released excess water to the river that eventually goes to the ocean.  This year, you can literally walk out to the middle of the lake and not get wet in many areas.  I saw a video of it two weeks ago and it is unbelievable.  This is a lake that is 210' at max depth, of course most of it is more like 15' to 20', but incredible.  

I had a buddy during undergrad who was the smartest person I knew when it came to computers... I always joked that if anyone could break into Bill Gates' laptop, it was him.  He ended up taking a job with the water department in Las Vegas... the next time I saw him I called BS and told him the only job in Vegas commensurate with his skills involved taking the daily Janet flight to Groom Lake.  I came to realize that the people who monitor & manage the day-to-day of potable water systems in a SW metropolitan area are the new rocket scientists; unfortunately like many public agencies, there seems to be an aggregation of morons near the top of the hierarchy.  
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 02:02:20 PM »
Its hard for me to explain a lot of things here, like why we protect a smelt fish over human beings. 

Snail darters and spotted owls

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 02:03:23 PM »
taking the daily Janet flight to Groom Lake.   

They really should have flown these out of Nellis

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 09:32:58 AM »
Massive amounts of rain last night....at least a 1/2 inch.   ::)   The commute this morning will be 1.5 hours easily because these knuckleheads think the world is ending. 

Californians drive quicker in the rain?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2014, 09:51:52 AM »

Californians drive quicker in the rain?

Coming home last night, the merger of the 605 and 91 freeway there was a car that couldn't make the very easy, sweeping circular on ramp and ended up about 15 feet below the embankment.  By the time I got there, 3 CHP cars there and the drivers (all unharmed - in their late teens early 20s) just staring at the car.  I'm sure the CHP guys were laughing and wondering how the F these idiots couldn't do this properly.  I can only imagine the response "but there was this stuff falling from the sky, it made things all slippery and stuff...we didn't know what to do".

Be very afraid of native California drivers and rain.....the clueless become even more clueless.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 11:17:47 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2014, 10:50:49 AM »
Coming how last night, the merger of the 605 and 91 freeway there was a car that couldn't make the very easy, sweeping circular on ramp and ended up about 15 feet below the embankment.  By the time I got there, 3 CHP cars there and the drivers (all unharmed - in their late teens early 20s) just staring at the car.  I'm sure the CHP guys were laughing and wondering how the F these idiots couldn't do this properly.  I can only imagine the response "but there was this stuff falling from the sky, it made things all slippery and stuff...we didn't know what to do".

Be very afraid of native California drivers and rain.....the clueless become even more clueless.

+100  Ain't that the truth!
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2014, 11:13:46 AM »
When it rains here roads become very slippery because of accumulated oils,etc. that's when I work from home and leave the roads to the maniacs who don't slow down.
Fun to go see the waterfalls in the mountains,though.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2014, 11:18:35 AM »
When it rains here roads become very slippery because of accumulated oils,etc. that's when I work from home and leave the roads to the maniacs who don't slow down.
Fun to go see the waterfalls in the mountains,though.

Very true

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2014, 11:36:22 AM »
Because pissing on the lawn tends to make it yellow

Any state that complains about drought, but allows people to water grass in a desert is idiotic.  And yes, I count metro Denver in that group.  Don't bitch about clean drinking water when very little of it is used for drinking.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2014, 11:55:05 AM »
Any state that complains about drought, but allows people to water grass in a desert is idiotic.  And yes, I count metro Denver in that group.  Don't bitch about clean drinking water when very little of it is used for drinking.

There has been plenty of water, our state chooses this

over this

reinko

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2014, 01:50:30 PM »
There has been plenty of water, our state chooses this

orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

over this

PS: clearly neither is completely responsible, but the result is the same, less water for farmers, eh?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 01:53:58 PM by reinko »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2014, 02:07:04 PM »
Actually, no.  The water I get to water my lawn comes from ground wells down here and served to our municipality.

The water for the central valley and further north for farmers comes from various rivers, etc which the state has decided the Delta Smelt fish is more important, among other things.

Now, in certain parts of the state, the water source is the same, but down here in my situation, it is not.

Of course I also have to water my orange trees, plum, apple, etc to keep them alive and producing food. We're close enough to the water that we wouldn't qualify for living in a desert, but a good chunk of So Cal is.  Many of those communities grow tons of food, either for personal use or farming.